AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-06-20, 04:42   Link #41
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Some paragraphs were not that explicit in the gender of the person being mentioned, sometimes deliberately so. If I used "that girl" it would give away who she was too soon. I guess you can use "person", but "fellow" is my preference.
Just so you know, "fellow" is masculine in English. It strongly implies a man, although like a lot of English words becomes gender neutral when plural or used abstractly (mankind, man-hours, etc). The context of referring to a person who's right in front of you though, is not abstract, and implies that it's a man or a boy. It's really.... weird to see a girl referred to like that so often.

Well, it's a bit less clearcut than that, but it certainly leans towards masculine rather than being gender-neutral like you want it to be. In my dictionary, the first definition is "a man or a boy" with later definitions allowing gender neutrality in specific contexts.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 08:52   Link #42
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Australia
Wow this light novel was just amazing, I stumbled onto the light novel after reading the manga, but I have to say the novel is by far the better medium. The emotions and descriptions were done in so much more detail in the light novel that halfway through ch 3 I just couldn't take my eyes off it until i've read 5 chapters that were translated!!

The relationship between Taiga and Ryuuji are very intriguing, the chemistry is definitely there and I really like the interaction. Their relationship could even topple the chemistry between louise and Saito (which i hold as the top love-hate/tsundere relationship). No words can describe how good this light novel is, chapter 5 was just wow!!!!

Anyone who's read ch 5 can't deny the emotion and feelings that were displayed, my mouse scroll and my reading speed couldn't digest it fast enough!!!

Oh by the way i read the 44% translated ch 6 and I only have one thing to say! Way to partly translate to a cliffhanger lol!! Omg i'm dying to see what happens after that scene.

p.s. kudos to kinny for starting this translation, really a great novel and i can see why people are going to animate it!
__________________
holyman282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 10:13   Link #43
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Leeds, UK
Age: 31
Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
glad you liked it.

as for chapter 6, this is why i read the chapter after its completed.
kinny has an annoying habit of cutting off at cliffhangers.grrrrr

__________________
Onizuka-GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 10:41   Link #44
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
glad you liked it.

as for chapter 6, this is why i read the chapter after its completed.
kinny has an annoying habit of cutting off at cliffhangers.grrrrr

Cliffhanger? What cliffhanger? It was a coincidence that I was about to continue when the next Euro 2008 match was about to begin.
__________________
哀莫大於心死。
我對這裡的管理員的霸道與毫無準則的執法行為感到徹底失望﹗

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 23:32   Link #45
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
glad you liked it.

as for chapter 6, this is why i read the chapter after its completed.
kinny has an annoying habit of cutting off at cliffhangers.grrrrr

That's what i usually do too but the story was so enthralling that i had to know what happened next i mean seriously chapter 5 was so engaging that i though even if i got a little idea of what happens next then it'll be good so i read part of ch 6!

It was a bad move for me cause it left me with a even bigger cliffhanger lol. I've had one sleepless night yesterday lol!

EDIT: arghh i couldn't resist so i read more of ch 6 that was translated, it got me through the first cliffhanger but why oh why kinny did you stop at another one lol!!

On a side note
Spoiler for ch6:
__________________

Last edited by holyman282; 2008-06-25 at 02:54.
holyman282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-28, 09:22   Link #46
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/in...le=Toradora%21

The first translation for volume 1 of Toradora is now up and available. If you wish to edit for any grammar or spelling mistakes, please feel free to register yourself on the wiki.

Now that's 3 months of hard work out of the way.

To the person that dismissed my working on this as being immoral because of petty copyright issues, I couldn't give a damn about what you think with your arrogant and hypocritical views. In fact, it's thanks to your ignorant holier-than-thou attitude that I was motivated to translate this more than anything.
__________________
哀莫大於心死。
我對這裡的管理員的霸道與毫無準則的執法行為感到徹底失望﹗

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-28, 09:58   Link #47
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
... So, should we say "thank you" or "damn you" for your translation efforts?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-28, 13:46   Link #48
apr
Pedestrian
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Sweden
Damn, someone's translating this? Impressive.

I'm halfway through chapter 5 of the first volume, having purchased parts 1-3 from Amazon.co.jp (along with 45 other light novels), and this is remarkably good. In fact, it's so good that I had to run here and find a thread to post about how awesome it is, and here we are!

While it's riddled with clichés, it still manages to feel fresh and unique, mostly because of the approach it takes, with the main characters having no interest in each other, but in other people altogether. Taiga is certainly very similar to Louise (and Shana and all the other tsundere chicks), but she feels much more vulnerable and her character genuinely interests me. Ryuuji, too, is sufficiently fleshed out to be something other than Generic Romcom Protagonist, keeping me happy to be "in his shoes", as it were.

I've laughed out loud reading this more times than I did through 11 volumes of Zero no Tsukaima and 4 Kanokon put together, yet I'm nearly in tears at the family restaurant scene. The writing is smart and witty, while still keeping it surmountable (unlike Spice & Wolf, which got so complex that I had to give up for now), and miles above the clunky ZnT.

I heard this is going to be animated this autumn already, and I hope they do the characters justice, but there doesn't appear to be much overarching plot to rape (poor ZnT/Kanokon), so if they just stick to the script, maybe, just maybe... In any case, I predict it'll be a huge hit, and rightfully so.

Too bad I didn't get the rest of the series all in one go.
__________________
...in my humble opinion.
apr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-29, 01:27   Link #49
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/in...le=Toradora%21

The first translation for volume 1 of Toradora is now up and available. If you wish to edit for any grammar or spelling mistakes, please feel free to register yourself on the wiki.

Now that's 3 months of hard work out of the way.

To the person that dismissed my working on this as being immoral because of petty copyright issues, I couldn't give a damn about what you think with your arrogant and hypocritical views. In fact, it's thanks to your ignorant holier-than-thou attitude that I was motivated to translate this more than anything.
Awesome kinny really appreciate what you are doing, i couldn't wait long enough though so i ended up reading through the first 3 chapters of volume 2 as well!! Now i must go back to chapter 6 of volume 1 to see what's going on lol !!
__________________
holyman282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-29, 16:18   Link #50
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Age: 25
Just finished volume 1. It seems like our boy Takasu-kun still doesn't understand himself and the difference between a crush and -- gasp! -- love.

I wonder which volume will we get the zomg series climax confession scene, and from whose side. I'd love it if it's Taiga who delivers it though.

Already started volume 2; will read chapter 4 today. So far though, it seems we've got a -- more gasp! -- two-faced bishoujo! Curiously enough, while I'm usually driven to genocidal tendencies (+ depression and hatred at all things shoujo) whenever I'm exposed to a "two-faced bitch who ruins the main lead's life" type of character, this girl is a lot more tolerable so far. I predict she'll even become a love rival on Ryuji's side after the end of this volume. That is, if she's not already in love with her childhood friend Mr. Maruo.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-29, 17:00   Link #51
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Well, considering her diet, she looks like a candidate for becoming a patron at Takasu's restaurant...

Also, Minorin is starting to scare me. I wouldn't be surprised if Takasu ends up with gynophobia.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-30, 14:56   Link #52
Vaelis
Black Panther
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 34
The pdf version of volume 1: http://www.mediafire.com/?d2ex9jjvooy
Vaelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 17:48   Link #53
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Leeds, UK
Age: 31
Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
hhmmm....how is this comparing to the manga? been off the radar with manga lately...
__________________
Onizuka-GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 01:05   Link #54
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Australia
So far the manga has followed the novel very nicely, seriously it's almost identical so you can read the novel then read the manga if you desire a more "illustrated" version.

Off course that's not saying much as the manga only just started.
__________________
holyman282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 04:35   Link #55
wikachaw
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Alabama
cant wait for more keep em coming
wikachaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 07:44   Link #56
_kira_
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
thanks to the guys at baka tsuki for hosting this and to Kinny Riddle for translating keep up the good work guys...
_kira_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-09, 23:18   Link #57
serenade_beta
マジ天使
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Finished volume 2... Cliffhanger, huh... Mah, shiruka yo...
Oh, and for Taiga... \(^o^)/オワタ

That's the problem, you know~
The novel describes Ami as "oh my god, she's so utterly cute let's all cling to her", but thanks to the fact Yasu's illustrations aren't exactly the best in the out there (in fact, there are a few illustrations that might pop up in my nightmare if I stare at it too long), I can't really see what's so cute about her. In fact, Sumire's character design (that resembles Ami slightly......) looks better than her's... Slightly over-exaggerating, but Ami looks as attractive as Yuusaku does (=not at all)...
Then again, I'm sure the anime will straighten the art out.

Spoiler for vol.2 thoughts:


Here's a wallpaper of 逆ギレ大河 (you know, thinking about it, there was a yugioh card called gyakugire panda too...):
__________________

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 01:27   Link #58
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
The novel describes Ami as "oh my god, she's so utterly cute let's all cling to her", but thanks to the fact Yasu's illustrations aren't exactly the best in the out there (in fact, there are a few illustrations that might pop up in my nightmare if I stare at it too long), I can't really see what's so cute about her. In fact, Sumire's character design (that resembles Ami slightly......) looks better than her's... Slightly over-exaggerating, but Ami looks as attractive as Yuusaku does (=not at all)...
That's one point the manga's got over the novel. Takasu-kun is quite the good-looking boy he purports himself to be (he does! Really! At the start of volume 1...) although he lost the "demon eyes" factor and Taiga is unbelievably cute in the manga. As a side note, the Zero no Tsukaima manga on the other hand has a rather childish art style...

The Toradora novel illustrations...they don't do much for me.

I wonder how will Ami-chan look when she shows up in the manga? I also wonder if the anime will take after the novel, the manga, or if it will take on its own style.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 02:52   Link #59
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I think I've got a new favorite character. That student council president sounds great.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 22:49   Link #60
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC, NY
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Finished volume 2... Cliffhanger, huh... Mah, shiruka yo...
After putting it off due to work I finally finished Vol 7... I wish I didn't
Though it did cure my insomnia

Now back to finishing Index before the fall (ten more volumes to go)
__________________
Sterling01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
light novels, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.