AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-07-06, 18:28   Link #1961
Vash002
Ready to Boast
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hinamizawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAdct1 View Post
Oh, just wait until the next chapter.
Spoiler for Chapter 219:
And you forgot Negi was lucky for a couple of seconds:
Spoiler for Ch 219:
__________________
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/2465/nodokark1.png
Vash002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 03:39   Link #1962
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Looks like I'm not the only one feeling uncomfortable about the direction of the series. Anyway, waiting for Vexx's comments after his advanced viewing.
Well... just finished rereading the entirety of the festival arc and it still feels quite muddled and Chao Lin in particular came off not-well-explained. Yeah, yeah, she thinks revealing magic to the world will fix some future horror but her whole manner in losing just seemed to make the motivation that drove her less meaningful. I do recognize this is purely an emotional gut opinion, though. It will be interesting to see how/if various players suffer the consequences for their actions in the melee.

As far as telling the story -- it suffers from two recurring issues at least for me:
1) Action in comic frame form is a difficult feat to pull off --- Ken still has a lot of work to do before he can match some of the work one sees in action comics. Much of the time it was distracting to have to figure out what happened beteen one frame and the next.
2) This was made more problematic by the issue that many of his tier 2&3 characters look alike. At times, I had to keep the cast of characters sheet available to figure out who had just popped into a frame.

Ken is trying to do something that stretches his abilities - that's a good thing. But it does mean he's going to trip and stumble more often.

I'm interested in seeing some story arc progression in the earlier themes (Negi/Nodoka/Yue, Negi/Evan/Chach, Kono/Set, more library exploration, etc). I admit readily my favorite parts of the manga are the portions that play more like "small group of adventurers and how they inter-relate". I am encouraged by the sampling scans that pop up from those who are looking ahead.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 05:40   Link #1963
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well... just finished rereading the entirety of the festival arc and it still feels quite muddled and Chao Lin in particular came off not-well-explained. Yeah, yeah, she thinks revealing magic to the world will fix some future horror but her whole manner in losing just seemed to make the motivation that drove her less meaningful. I do recognize this is purely an emotional gut opinion, though. It will be interesting to see how/if various players suffer the consequences for their actions in the melee.
Hmm, small correction here, Chao didn't want to reveal magic to fix some future horror, her motivation for revealing magic was that it is hard for mages to help the world while remaining hidden. Not helping as in averting armagedon, but the simple things, such as saving people from poor places, or helping out in countries hit by an earthquake or tidal wave. If magic was known to the world, then mages would have a far easier time to aid people in need, as they would not need to keep their powers hidden.
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 13:06   Link #1964
Asrialys
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: California
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well... just finished rereading the entirety of the festival arc and it still feels quite muddled and Chao Lin in particular came off not-well-explained. Yeah, yeah, she thinks revealing magic to the world will fix some future horror but her whole manner in losing just seemed to make the motivation that drove her less meaningful.
For me, I thought of it as Chao finally leaving her and everyone else's future in Negi's hands. If she could be stopped, then she would admit defeat and that her opponent's will is stronger than her's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Hmm, small correction here, Chao didn't want to reveal magic to fix some future horror, her motivation for revealing magic was that it is hard for mages to help the world while remaining hidden. Not helping as in averting armagedon, but the simple things, such as saving people from poor places, or helping out in countries hit by an earthquake or tidal wave. If magic was known to the world, then mages would have a far easier time to aid people in need, as they would not need to keep their powers hidden.
I believe that Chao's plan was based on personal feelings. She knew that the revealing of magic would bring about chaos between the two worlds before any form of settling down. So she wanted to do that sooner. We really know nothing of Chao's history. For all we know, she could have been part of the chaos. Although she didn't say a word, Negi interpreted her silent answer as if some other party had put the magical markings on Chao's body. And before she left, she said that her problems weren't any different as the one's happening in the present.

So perhaps her problems weren't her's alone. But since she had the power to change it, she felt that she should.
__________________
Asrialys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 19:52   Link #1965
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 28
Thanks for the review, Vexx. Still putting my reading of the series on hiatus, at least until I've seen the OVA (with Kotaro).
__________________
Those from the lower levels cannot hope to surpass those from the upper.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 09:51   Link #1966
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
well vexx ... after the festival arc and a small 'transisionarc-between-arcs' we get a crystalclear, if not quite literal 'small adventuregroups interrelating
Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 09:56   Link #1967
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilen View Post
well vexx ... after the festival arc and a small 'transisionarc-between-arcs' we get a crystalclear, if not quite literal 'small adventuregroups interrelating
With the magic action gone into hyper drive, if my memory serves me correctly.
__________________
Those from the lower levels cannot hope to surpass those from the upper.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 15:31   Link #1968
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
well ... thats somewhat to expect if you know of the D&D ... and i've the interesting idea to use infomation from that whole arc to make a small campaign for a D&D group
Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 02:17   Link #1969
Freeter
i see baka people
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: in the club
219 was made of pure GAR and win. There hasn't been a teacher this badass since Onizuka, and Negi's not even a teen yet.

Quote:
Negi was lucky for a couple of seconds
With just a few words he could make Nodoka wear her birthday suit all day long, and she wouldn't mind one bit
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=42380&dateline=119337  1797
Now: JoJo, Barakamon, P4G, YnS, AoHaru, Sabagebu, Tokyo Ghoul, SAO2, Glasslip, Ilya
Next: Shinmai Maou, NNB s2

Freeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 02:36   Link #1970
Samanosuke
Genma Killer
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeter View Post
219 was made of pure GAR and win. There hasn't been a teacher this badass since Onizuka, and Negi's not even a teen yet.
QFT .
seriously 219 was pure awesomeness.
and Negi is like 10. what is going to be when he'll be 20 ? O_o
__________________
Samanosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 02:54   Link #1971
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Dead?

Or possibly an undead, eternally beautiful vampire.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 09:55   Link #1972
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Age: 24
219 was just awesome. One of the best chapters in a while.
__________________
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 04:22   Link #1973
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
well ... at least one of the enimies sees Eva in him.

but ... really efficient way of cleaning
Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 13:53   Link #1974
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: middle of nowhere, Virginia
Age: 27
Wink

Negi Springfield waited. The lights above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were demons in the area. He didn't see them, but had expected them now for years. His warnings to Kaede and Setsuna were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
Negi was a mage for ten years. When he was young he watched the Eva and he said to dad "I want to be a dark mage daddy."
Dad said "No! You will BE KILL BY DEMONS"
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the area of the magic world he knew there were demons.
"This is Asakura" the radio crackered. "You must fight the demons!"
So Negi gotted his magci staff and blew up the rocks.
"HE GOING TO KILL US" said the demons
"I will shoot at him" said the demon and he fired the missiles. Negi punched at him and tried to blew him up. But then the rock fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.
"No! I must kill the demons" he shouted
The radio said "No, Negi. You are the demons"
And then Negi was the darkness.



Never forget. ;_;
__________________
KaneDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 18:00   Link #1975
AlphaDragoon
Flame of the Dragonslayer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 30
DAMN. Negi wrecked shop this chapter.
AlphaDragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 18:45   Link #1976
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
Negi Springfield waited. The lights above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were demons in the area. He didn't see them, but had expected them now for years. His warnings to Kaede and Setsuna were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
Negi was a mage for ten years. When he was young he watched the Eva and he said to dad "I want to be a dark mage daddy."
Dad said "No! You will BE KILL BY DEMONS"
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the area of the magic world he knew there were demons.
"This is Asakura" the radio crackered. "You must fight the demons!"
So Negi gotted his magci staff and blew up the rocks.
"HE GOING TO KILL US" said the demons
"I will shoot at him" said the demon and he fired the missiles. Negi punched at him and tried to blew him up. But then the rock fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.
"No! I must kill the demons" he shouted
The radio said "No, Negi. You are the demons"
And then Negi was the darkness.
That story seems very familier.
__________________
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 18:47   Link #1977
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: middle of nowhere, Virginia
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
That story seems very familier.
I wouldn't have expected it to not be. You can't recognize "No, John. You are the demons" right off the bat?
__________________
KaneDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 18:52   Link #1978
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
I wouldn't have expected it to not be. You can't recognize "No, John. You are the demons" right off the bat?
There we go. I just haven't heard of it in such a long time I almost forgot.
__________________
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-12, 01:43   Link #1979
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Also a variation on the old short story "The Monsters Are On Maple Street" (twilight zone, rod serling)
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-12, 06:12   Link #1980
Vash002
Ready to Boast
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hinamizawa
I like where this is going...

Spoiler for Best part of Ch 219:
__________________
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/2465/nodokark1.png
Vash002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, fantasy

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.