AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-07-15, 02:06   Link #21
Papaya
Sup
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Atlanta
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
I'm not a good example because I'm UNDERWEIGHT. I'm not sure what my weight for my age/height group is supposed to be, but I'm 5'9" and weigh 120 pounds. Ugh, I can't put on weight at all, despite the fact that I eat well. I am glad to be underweight rather than overweight, though, because I'm sure putting on weight is a whole lot easier than trying to lose it. So I won't complain, but I am still way too underweight for my age group (I think I'm at least 15% underweight).
Do you do any kind of exercise? (or, have you done any)

If so, what kind? That should help us out.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 02:25   Link #22
oompa loompa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 28 37', North ; 77 13', East
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
Regarding six-packs, the abdominals are actually one large muscle with multiple heads, the same way biceps have two heads, and triceps have three heads. The distinct shape of each head is not determined by how much you work it out, as some people think, but genetically via the way the tendons wrap around the abdominals.
yep, thats why some people cant get 8 different seperations.. well actually its 7.. that make up a well made six pack.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 02:39   Link #23
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Right behind you.
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
Do you do any kind of exercise? (or, have you done any)

If so, what kind? That should help us out.
You're not gonna like this, but I don't exercise at all. Which is weird, because I thought keeping my calorie burning to a minimum would help, but it really doesn't make any noticable difference. I used to do some running or biking in my free time, but I never had a regimen or anything like that. However, I am doing a tad bit of weight lifting in hopes that I can gain some muscle weight and bulk up a little that way.

One thing I will say right now is: If you're worried about being overweight, just remember calories in/calories out is an essential formula to remember. I don't think fat grams are all that important, though obviously I personally don't have to worry about them. If you feel that you want or need to avoid fats, by all means do so. However, people can gain weight (and do) from complex carbs just as easily as saturated fats if they are not burning them off in some way. Either through regular exercise or something that stimulates and challenges the mind (the brain actually expends a lot of energy if you're thinking hard about things for a lnog time, such as while studying a difficult subject).

On exercise, 2-3 times a week is fine, according to my mom, if you're just starting out. 30 minutes a day on a treadmill, bike or free weights while watching your favorite TV show (or anime =3 ) is a good way to have fun but still do something that gets you off the couch, so to speak.

And on diet, absolutely no fast food. It's convenient, yes, but is quite possibly the worst food you could possibly eat (I'm lookin' at YOU, McDonalds). "Fully-Loaded Salads" (homemade, obviously) as I like to call them are perhaps my favorite meal. It includes many basic salad things like peppers and cucumbers and feta cheese, but I often put ham, tuna, or some other kind of lunch meat in mine to give myself some protein. Not to mention it's just good that way. If you use fresh ingredients, you can have a healthy AND filling meal (I eat REALLY big bowls of salad). By Weight Watchers' reckoning (the diet program my mom uses with excellent results, so she says), that's 0 Points (all vegetables are 0 points, and the cheese and meat are very few points). Join Weight Watchers if you want to learn more. It's one of the better health programs in my opinion (notice I said HEALTH, not DIET. Pure weight by lbs or kg isn't everything).

Basically, though, if you ever feel guilty about eating something unhealthy and you're seriously trying to lose weight, don't eat it. It's okay to indulge once in a while, but if it becomes a habit, then you've defeated the purpose of what you set out to do in the first place. For those with serious (or potentially serious) health issues, "going on a diet" in truth is going to mean a lifestyle change because obviously what you're doing now isn't cutting it. Keeping off the weight means that once you change your eating and/or exercise habits, you have to keep it that way or you'll probably end up back at square one again.

As someone already stated, all thing in moderation. Don't starve yourself, but don't overindulge, either. Most people already know the right thing to do, but require others to tell them what they need to hear. That's all I really have to say on the subject of physical health. I hoped I helped at least a few people in explaining basically my own philosophy on a healthy lifestyle.
__________________
Spectacular_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 03:05   Link #24
jedinat
フリーター
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 28
I've been about 150lb since my freshman year of high school. I'm about 6'3"
Both my parents are overweight. I don't exercise; don't eat very healthy. About 7 months ago I was beginning to approach an average body fat level...maybe 160lb. So I started lifting some weights; doing some sit-ups. I do it either every or every other day at about 2-3 in the morning; don't push myself too much, but I do wear myself out a bit. I snapped back to 150, and seem to float around there despite a little more muscle.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 03:06   Link #25
.BeachBoy
T e a r . the . S k y
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sunshine State
Age: 23
For me, I'm pretty much exactly like Spectacular Insanity. (Uncanny how close it is actually. o_O) I'm 6'0'' around 128. (Yeah, 17.4% BMI) I'm pretty underweight. So, yeah, I'm quite the opposite, it's not losing weight, it's gaining weight. Funny how you never walk in the store and see "How to gain weight" books. x_o It's just... when you eat a Thanksgiving type meal and lose a pound, it's not exactly uh, working. I guess it's a high metabolism? I eat well, just like anyone else, yet I'm still a stick. I'd rather be underweight than over as well, and I'm not oh so down about my weight either. I like it actually, but just wish I had some more padding here and there. XD

I'm just starting to take a Physical Fitness course, so it's helping at least. It's an online school course, so basically P.E. at home, I just go to the park and work myself out until I can't go any longer. (Yay for waking up sore every morning so far) It's like run the mile every day type... thing. So far it's testing just to see how fit I am, so no exact routine just yet.

So basically, I didn't work out much until now like SI, so I don't have any excellent tips to share really. I do some bike riding around the park about four times a week if that's anything to help you guys out. (Around four miles by the way) Getting a bike and having a small ride every morning should at least do something.

Last edited by .BeachBoy; 2008-07-15 at 03:17. Reason: The multiple "for me"s was a bit eh. o_o
.BeachBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 03:20   Link #26
Arceon
Rediscovered
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Requiem
Age: 21
Send a message via MSN to Arceon
I'm 5'4" And a waif. I weigh 90-100 lbs. And fluctuate between the two consistently. So yeah, SLIGHTLY underweight with a 17.2% BMI. I actually eat a more than anyone else around me (Actually I eat just as much as some of my overweight friends). Although my diet isn't actually a bad one (It's majorly noodles, rice, vegetables, fruit, and some meat).

I do take a bike ride and walk around moderately for a good 2-3 hours roughly four to five times a week. I honestly don't have that many tips, since I never had to lose weight, like BeachBoy I'm trying to gain some. Though like many others, I do recommend taking things in moderation.
__________________
Arceon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 03:36   Link #27
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by .BeachBoy View Post
Funny how you never walk in the store and see "How to gain weight" books. x_o It's just... when you eat a Thanksgiving type meal and lose a pound, it's not exactly uh, working.
It's not strange at all. You have what the fitness field calls an "ectomorphic body type". In other words, you're just a naturally slim guy, who doesn't have a large bone structure and doesn't have significant fat reserves. Therefore, you weigh almost nothing, and you don't need to exercise to keep it that way. This is your natural state.

The ONLY way you will ever increase your weight (long term) is to put on muscle. Read Papaya's and my posts in this thread for the basics of putting together a work out and diet plan.

Changing your body is a HUGE, MASSIVE lifestyle change and requires commitment for as long as you want to keep it changed from how it naturally is. It's not a simple matter of getting a gym membership and going a few times a month to not waste your money.

I think you should just count your blessings for being slim, some people, like me, don't have that kind of luck. But if you are interested in getting in better shape and out of the "underweight" category. This would be the right thread.
__________________
tripperazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 03:45   Link #28
Papaya
Sup
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Atlanta
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
There are actually specific guides out there for ectomorphs and other bodytypes who have difficulting putting on weight.

In bodybuilding these people are called hardgainers. It's never impossible to put on some mass--you just really have to overhaul your diet and train your body into becoming more efficient with food.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 04:01   Link #29
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by .BeachBoy View Post
For me, I'm pretty much exactly like Spectacular Insanity. (Uncanny how close it is actually. o_O) I'm 6'0'' around 128. (Yeah, 17.4% BMI) I'm pretty underweight. So, yeah, I'm quite the opposite, it's not losing weight, it's gaining weight. Funny how you never walk in the store and see "How to gain weight" books. x_o It's just... when you eat a Thanksgiving type meal and lose a pound, it's not exactly uh, working. I guess it's a high metabolism? I eat well, just like anyone else, yet I'm still a stick. I'd rather be underweight than over as well, and I'm not oh so down about my weight either. I like it actually, but just wish I had some more padding here and there. XD

I'm just starting to take a Physical Fitness course, so it's helping at least. It's an online school course, so basically P.E. at home, I just go to the park and work myself out until I can't go any longer. (Yay for waking up sore every morning so far) It's like run the mile every day type... thing. So far it's testing just to see how fit I am, so no exact routine just yet.

So basically, I didn't work out much until now like SI, so I don't have any excellent tips to share really. I do some bike riding around the park about four times a week if that's anything to help you guys out. (Around four miles by the way) Getting a bike and having a small ride every morning should at least do something.
Holy Haruhi. I thought I was bad, with my 5'11''(180 cm) and 130+ lbs (60kg+).
__________________
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 07:48   Link #30
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
It's not strange at all. You have what the fitness field calls an "ectomorphic body type". In other words, you're just a naturally slim guy, who doesn't have a large bone structure and doesn't have significant fat reserves. Therefore, you weigh almost nothing, and you don't need to exercise to keep it that way. This is your natural state.
Guess i also belong in that category. I'm 1.72 and 62 Kilo. Nothing wrong with my weight/BMI. Perhaps a bit short, but quite normal for a Asian

I started going to gym about 2-3 years ago to gain some weight. I gained like 5 kilo or something. And stuck around this weight for almost 2 years now. I use to train 3 times a week at the start. Slowly it declined to 2. And these days i only go once a week >.<

Strange thing is i started with 15 kilo on the benchpress now i do 70, but i only weigh 5 kilo more And i haven't been able to improve more. I have been stuck around the 70 Kilo for like a year now. I personally think it's because i don't adjust my food. And once a week to the gym didn't helped either. But even when i went twice i didn't manage to improve.

Btw a question about the wrist. Mine still looks very small, while rest of the body that i train has become larger from training, but my wrist seems to be the same as before i started going to gym. It doesn't look really out of proportion, but it's just small. ~~

Aah well, will have to bring it to twice a week again.
__________________

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 08:45   Link #31
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Border of Common Sense
Age: 24
Well, I'm 187 cm and 88 kilos now. I gained 8 kilos at Christmas from eating too much candy, and I can't do anything about it. I have large bones ( or how you say this), so I always looked a little fat, even in the days when I was a lot fitter than now.

But about how I maintain my body, that is a mystery itself. It's like my body is acting differently it have to.
First of all I have a Heavy Selective Eating Disorder, I only eat very few kinds of food, and almost none of them are healthy. Then I almost never exercise - except school -, I don't do any sport; and I'm always sit before my computer all day.
And I'm really weak.

However I'm never sick. I don't have any problems, my blood pressure is normal, my back too; My eyes are perfect (I sit before my computer almost 15 hours a day, since I was 5 years old), and even the doctors say that I'm miraculously healthy.

Why? Maybe because I only eat 1 or 2 times a day? Or because every food we have is what we or my grandparents grew in the fields?
__________________
If Anonymous is the Final Boss of the Internet, then who's the Extra Boss?
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 09:11   Link #32
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
Well, I'm 187 cm and 88 kilos now. I gained 8 kilos at Christmas from eating too much candy, and I can't do anything about it. I have large bones ( or how you say this), so I always looked a little fat, even in the days when I was a lot fitter than now.

But about how I maintain my body, that is a mystery itself. It's like my body is acting differently it have to.
First of all I have a Heavy Selective Eating Disorder, I only eat very few kinds of food, and almost none of them are healthy. Then I almost never exercise - except school -, I don't do any sport; and I'm always sit before my computer all day.
And I'm really weak.

However I'm never sick. I don't have any problems, my blood pressure is normal, my back too; My eyes are perfect (I sit before my computer almost 15 hours a day, since I was 5 years old), and even the doctors say that I'm miraculously healthy.

Why? Maybe because I only eat 1 or 2 times a day? Or because every food we have is what we or my grandparents grew in the fields?
Well, genetics do have a role. As for eyesight, well, when I take off my glasses, I can still see what is on the computer screen.

I guess the point is: Don't abuse your body. Just because you're feeling ok now doesn't mean that it will always be the case.
__________________
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 09:27   Link #33
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Border of Common Sense
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Well, genetics do have a role. As for eyesight, well, when I take off my glasses, I can still see what is on the computer screen.

I guess the point is: Don't abuse your body. Just because you're feeling ok now doesn't mean that it will always be the case.
Well I'm always maintain my weight, and things. I always look out not to eat much a day, and to eat some vitamins, too.
And maybe it has something to do that all of my food is bio, I never ever eaten a hamburger before. And maybe... the environment. I'm living in the very outskirts of my town, where the air is clean. I always become sick when I go to the city and have to breath that polluted air. (Considering that my town is one of the most cleanest town in the country.) And it's a 20km long walk to the bakery where I'm buying the bread. And I do that daily.
__________________
If Anonymous is the Final Boss of the Internet, then who's the Extra Boss?
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 09:31   Link #34
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
Well I'm always maintain my weight, and things. I always look out not to eat much a day, and to eat some vitamins, too.
And maybe it has something to do that all of my food is bio, I never ever eaten a hamburger before. And maybe... the environment. I'm living in the very outskirts of my town, where the air is clean. I always become sick when I go to the city and have to breath that polluted air. (Considering that my town is one of the most cleanest town in the country.) And it's a 20km long walk to the bakery where I'm buying the bread. And I do that daily.
.... And you claim you don't exercise?

Also, nice diet there. Many people should eat like that, although I'll say 0 hamburgers is a little extreme.

As for air, well, Singapore is a nice place to live in because of the air.
__________________
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 09:52   Link #35
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Border of Common Sense
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Also, nice diet there. Many people should eat like that, although I'll say 0 hamburgers is a little extreme.
A hamburger here is more expensive than a simple sandwitch what you can make anytime. Not to mention there aren't any fast food restaurant around in a 50-100km radius where I live.
__________________
If Anonymous is the Final Boss of the Internet, then who's the Extra Boss?
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 09:55   Link #36
xris
Just call me Ojisan
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: U.K. Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
I only eat very few kinds of food, and almost none of them are healthy. Then I almost never exercise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
And maybe it has something to do that all of my food is bio, I never ever eaten a hamburger before.
...
And it's a 20km long walk to the bakery where I'm buying the bread. And I do that daily.
Hang on, you walk 20 km to the bakery every day. It would take over 3 hours to walk 20 km and you claim you do no exercise Did you mean 2km instead of 20km.

Same with food. It seems you are saying you only eat home-grown foods yet you say none of it is healthy. Just what is it you are eating then?
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 10:40   Link #37
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Border of Common Sense
Age: 24
After I only arrived from the bakery, and it took me 45 minutes... Yeah, 20km is too much. I don't really know why I wrote that. Maybe I'm just tired.

Sandwitches. Every damn day. So while I'm eating home-grown food, what is healthy, I'm only eating one or maybe two kinds of food, thanks to my Eating Disorder. And that's not healthy.
__________________
If Anonymous is the Final Boss of the Internet, then who's the Extra Boss?

Last edited by Solais; 2008-07-15 at 12:22.
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 14:21   Link #38
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
Everyone has different metabolisms, take my little sister for example., She's 22 years old, 5'3" and weighs roughly 97lbs.

Guess what her diet is? Hamburgers and Pizza, with Zero exercise.

I'm 5'8" and 182lbs, I'm mostly muscle mass, before HS I was stickly, but once I entered HS I started playing football, and decided to get rid of my skinny body and become more "manly", I had somewhat of a short guy complex too, since I was always shorter than everyone else growing up. I started eating lots of red meat and pasta. On top of football practice, I would weight train for an hour and a half, five days a week. This went on for 4 years. And I made a dramatic change by senior year. If I were to say where my metabolism is at, it'll be "average". I eat anything and everything though, but stay physically active, I walk rather than drive, most of the time. I don't work out much anymore, so my walking is my primary workout.
__________________
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 14:53   Link #39
solidified
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
I need a recommended workout for a skinny guy like me.

Im 16 years old. 5'9" and 145 lbs.
My goal this summer is to get to 160 lbs, (preferably muscle) and i need a work out routine to get me there. I have a HIGH metabolism. I eat so much but barely get anything from it.

I already do some kinds of excerises (ie. every other day i do lots of pushups and benching heavy boxes..poor mans weights, lol..dont got actual weights)

any advice/suggestions in my acheiving my goal?
solidified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 15:16   Link #40
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
Honestly, I don't know how to deal with people with High Metabolisms... its best if you actually find some kind of professional assistance. Theres probably fitness forums out there that can actually help you. My cousin who also high metabolism, is 5'9" and is about 115lbs, he' s tried everything to gain weight. He used weight gainers and everything and he won't gain weight.
__________________
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diet, health, weightlifting

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.