AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-04-20, 11:53   Link #1
allenpan

help on encoding

i resently start encoding, but i have a question, a episode of anime..lets say south park or family guy or gundam, i use divx 5 mutipass 6 times what bit rate i should use? i use 4000(or maybe 400) i end up with 5xx-6xx mb per episode, my audio is ogg, 0.25 or 90bitrate...how do i make it to less than 350MB?
allenpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-20, 15:38   Link #2
Cruzz
Europeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenpan
i resently start encoding, but i have a question, a episode of anime..lets say south park or family guy or gundam, i use divx 5 mutipass 6 times what bit rate i should use? i use 4000(or maybe 400) i end up with 5xx-6xx mb per episode, my audio is ogg, 0.25 or 90bitrate...how do i make it to less than 350MB?
1. While I haven't actually encoded anything in divx multipass mode, as far as I know additional passes are largely pointless. I'd recommend just sticking to 2 passes per encode.

2. Isn't it quite obvious that the higher you set the bitrate, the larger the output file will be (up to a certain point)? Anyway, just set the bitrate below 2000 for <350MB files (1000kbit combined audio+video for a normal length anime= roughly 175MB file)

3. South Park and Family Guy aren't anime

4. XVID IS SUPERIOR!
Cruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-21, 10:41   Link #3
scotty81
DSL addict

Send a message via AIM to scotty81 Send a message via MSN to scotty81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzz
4. XVID IS SUPERIOR!
this is a little point less. every body always disagrees on which between divx an dxvid is better. I believe we should all stick to the codec we like, but let people choose for their selves.

@ allenpan : just figure out for yourself which codec is best

All the threads I saw about divx vs. xvid always finished in flame wars, and got deleted (I'm not talking about this board only ).

Anyway to get back to the question.
multipass is useless, only if you like having your computer encode twice as long as needed. I use 2 pass always. 1 pass is ok sometimes, but you get a large error on the file size ( more or less 10% of the size you asked for). 2 pass gives the correct size ( +/- 2 % ) . and it's enough to encode correctly an anime. maybe it's better to use multipass for a great action movie, but that's not the topic .
I don't use ogg audio, but reguler cbr mp3 ( old school ). you can find bitrate calculators ( try this ) everywhere on the web. they are really useful.

and a little tip, if you burn subtitles in the video, demux audio & video first . burn on the video only, and mux audio & video again. it 'll help having no audio/video desync problems
scotty81 is offline   Reply With Quote