AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-07-24, 05:29   Link #1
frubam
singing heartbreak
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to frubam
Hourou Musuko

Category: Drama, gender bender, school life, seinen
Author/Artist: Shimura Takako



Excerpt from OM:
Shuichi Nitori is a 5th grade student who likes to bake and has always been something of a feminine boy. When he transfers to a new school, Shuichi is mistaken for his 6th grade sister on his first day. Then he ends up sitting next to Yoshino Takatsuki, a tall, boyish girl who everyone calls "Takatsuki-kun." They both have secrets they can't let anyone know....

DAMN this is a great manga XD. I think this has some very good characterization. How both Shuu and Yoshino deal with dressing opposite their sex seemed very realsitic to me for children their age and gave the manga itself a far more mature feeling than I expected. The only thing I don't like is that it sometimes seems to jump from one scene to another out of nowhere, which confuses me sometimes, but it doesn't bother me at all, I just wanted to point that out.

Just finished reading chapter 31 and 32. Twas EXCELLENT!

Spoiler for chap 31:

Spoiler for chap 32:

Last edited by frubam; 2010-04-11 at 19:29. Reason: changed translated chap #
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-24, 05:51   Link #2
Vash002
Ready to Boast
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hinamizawa
I looove Hourou Musuko and I can't wait for chapter 33.

Spoiler for Ch 32- Chiba:

Everyone loves Shuu.
__________________
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/2465/nodokark1.png
Vash002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-24, 06:55   Link #3
xris
Just call me Ojisan
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: U.K. Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Note, there is a thread for this here, but since the initial topic had no info on the series whatsoever(and the thread creator was banned) thought I'd make a new one. Merge'em if you see fit.
We don't normally like duplicate threads but in this case it was a good call since the original thread didn't really say anything (neither did the follow up posts).

The thread you linked above has now been deleted so you may want to remove the link from your opening post.

BTW, good job on this opening post, now this is the way it should be done
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-24, 08:11   Link #4
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Age: 25
They put this one on onemanga? Hmm, I hope it gains some fans here then, since it seems a lot of us in this forum seems to use that site a lot. I was following it directly from the scanlators (Kotonoha -- great group, good quality and excellent choices in manga) but didn't keep up after a while.

A brilliant slice-of-life manga. I should go and read the latest chapters soon I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash002
Spoiler for Ch 32 - Chiba:
She's just a complicated girl.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-24, 16:43   Link #5
frubam
singing heartbreak
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash002 View Post
I looove Hourou Musuko and I can't wait for chapter 33.

Spoiler for Ch 32- Chiba:

Everyone loves Shuu.
Ah yeah she was kinda like that when it came to Shuu . It'd been great if her and Anna could have met, esp after
Spoiler:
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-24, 19:00   Link #6
Vash002
Ready to Boast
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hinamizawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Ah yeah she was kinda like that when it came to Shuu . It'd been great if her and Anna could have met, esp after
Spoiler:
I don't like Anna to much, since she:
Spoiler for Anna the meanie:
__________________
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/2465/nodokark1.png
Vash002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-24, 22:50   Link #7
excelence
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Jakarta/Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash002 View Post
Spoiler for Ch 32- Chiba:
oo yeah... second that, she's scary XD

btw what's the last chapter released in Japan?
excelence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 13:37   Link #8
frubam
singing heartbreak
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to frubam
YAY a new chapter !!! I didn't think I'd ever see another chap.
Spoiler for chap 33:
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-30, 23:14   Link #9
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Unnecessary
Age: 28
Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
I just caught this manga. I love it ^^

Too bad it's been 2 months and no release yet >.<

Waiting for the next chapter is sooooo... ooo i'm impatient.
__________________

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-07, 17:03   Link #10
frubam
singing heartbreak
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to frubam
Wow, 6 months O.O. Anyway, more chapter releases to the end of vol 5. I think I might prefer it in vol batches. The story moves better this way.

Spoiler for chp 34 ~ 42:

Last edited by frubam; 2009-03-07 at 17:19.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-07, 23:44   Link #11
frubam
singing heartbreak
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to frubam
Okay, apparently Anon did the scans all the way up to the chap 57, which means it's more or less up-to-date.

Spoiler for up to chap 57:
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-07, 23:53   Link #12
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Blue Ridge Mountain High
I'm glad you've kept us in the loop about this manga. Takako Shimura is fast becoming one of my favourite mangaka. A friend introduced me to this one after I read Aoi Hana. I'm definitely amazed at the subject matter she chose to take on. Thanks again!
__________________
"We pretend to be civilised but only blood sacrifice quiets the murderer within."
--Sappho, from Erica Jong's Sappho's Leap
Kieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-07, 23:58   Link #13
frubam
singing heartbreak
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieli View Post
I'm glad you've kept us in the loop about this manga. Takako Shimura is fast becoming one of my favourite mangaka. A friend introduced me to this one after I read Aoi Hana. I'm definitely amazed at the subject matter she chose to take on. Thanks again!
No problem . I've been meaning to take a look at Aoi Hana. How is that?
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 00:02   Link #14
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Blue Ridge Mountain High
Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
No problem . I've been meaning to take a look at Aoi Hana. How is that?
It's got that very dreamy quality that Hourou Musuko does except it's more yuri. You find yourself rooting for the most interesting characters. Some people find the pace in Aoi Hana to be slow but, after reading this manga, you'll see that it's fairly similar but change of subject matter (one girl falls in love with another, gets her heart broken, realises that she's still crushing on her best friend, deals with her feelings for women in general, etc). It's sweet, funny and sad. Kotonoha was doing that one too for a while. They finished up Vol 3. Vol 4 is due out sometime this summer, if I recall correctly.
__________________
"We pretend to be civilised but only blood sacrifice quiets the murderer within."
--Sappho, from Erica Jong's Sappho's Leap
Kieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 00:07   Link #15
frubam
singing heartbreak
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieli View Post
It's got that very dreamy quality that Hourou Musuko does except it's more yuri. You find yourself rooting for the most interesting characters. Some people find the pace in Aoi Hana to be slow but, after reading this manga, you'll see that it's fairly similar but change of subject matter (one girl falls in love with another, gets her heart broken, realises that she's still crushing on her best friend, deals with her feelings for women in general, etc). It's sweet, funny and sad. Kotonoha was doing that one too for a while. They finished up Vol 3. Vol 4 is due out sometime this summer, if I recall correctly.
I'll check that out, thanks . I'm just afraid of a cliffhanger like HM, where just before junior high, everyone was broken up, then no chap releases afterword. What a way to leave the series off. Pure torture I tell ya T_T.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 05:31   Link #16
denice25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
cant wait to see the chapter 33..definitely a winner!!
__________________
thanE
denice25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 10:44   Link #17
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Blue Ridge Mountain High
Quote:
Originally Posted by denice25 View Post
cant wait to see the chapter 33..definitely a winner!!
It's already out there.

Quote:
I'll check that out, thanks . I'm just afraid of a cliffhanger like HM, where just before junior high, everyone was broken up, then no chap releases afterword. What a way to leave the series off. Pure torture I tell ya T_T.
I can totally understand that. I was going through that same problem with HM until you filled me in on the rest. BTW, there are now 8 volumes of HM released in Japan. You might want to update your primary post to reflect that. I'm buying the rest of them today through Kinokuniya *dances excitedly*
__________________
"We pretend to be civilised but only blood sacrifice quiets the murderer within."
--Sappho, from Erica Jong's Sappho's Leap

Last edited by Kieli; 2009-03-08 at 11:36.
Kieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 17:47   Link #18
frubam
singing heartbreak
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieli View Post
I can totally understand that. I was going through that same problem with HM until you filled me in on the rest. BTW, there are now 8 volumes of HM released in Japan. You might want to update your primary post to reflect that. I'm buying the rest of them today through Kinokuniya *dances excitedly*
Thanks, I'll do that.

I read all the trans chaps of Aoi Hana today, and it's just as you said, it's just like this, but a diff subject matter. I'm not usually fond of yuri, but this story is done in such a way that you can't help but to root for the characters.
Spoiler for Aoi Hana ~ to chp 18:
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 20:36   Link #19
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Blue Ridge Mountain High
Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Spoiler for Aoi Hana ~ to chp 18:
Same here. She's like every cocky jerk I've ever met. Fumi is that mild kind of heroine. You both sympathise with her and admire her strength. And damned if you don't wish that she gets her happy ending. Aoi Hana is that rare yuri manga worth reading (I will admit to being a yuri fan, I am gay after all, but I don't read ALL yuri. Just the ones that catch my attention.) Morishima Akiko has a couple of volumes out there that are pretty good too. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy HM for as long as it lasts.
__________________
"We pretend to be civilised but only blood sacrifice quiets the murderer within."
--Sappho, from Erica Jong's Sappho's Leap
Kieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-13, 10:36   Link #20
frubam
singing heartbreak
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieli View Post
Fumi is that mild kind of heroine. You both sympathise with her and admire her strength. And damned if you don't wish that she gets her happy ending.
Yeah, since Fumi gives off an air of a type of girl that can never say 'No' to someone who's aggressive, I was surprised she blew 'her' off when 'she' asked Fumi to come back. The mangaka never disappoints .

Anyway, to get back on topic:

Spoiler for chp 58:
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drama, seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.