AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 34 33.33%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 27.45%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 28 27.45%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 7.84%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.94%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.98%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-07-29, 01:19   Link #361
stray
aniki
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Send a message via AIM to stray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Yeah, the job description

フロンティア船団における
行政の統括責任者

would indicate he does not reign over anything beyond that cubicle known as Macross Frontier. I'd expect him to pay at least lip service to Earth.

- Tak
IIRC... in Macross 7, didn't Max have to petition Earth to use reaction warheads against the Protodevlin? Maybe things changed in the 14 years since 7, but Glass was able to OK them then and there.

My memory could be failing me though...
stray is offline  
Old 2008-07-29, 01:23   Link #362
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
IIRC... in Macross 7, didn't Max have to petition Earth to use reaction warheads against the Protodevlin? Maybe things changed in the 14 years since 7, but Glass was able to OK them then and there.

My memory could be failing me though...
I am sure things changed after 14 years, and that a Federation is probably what Earth is aiming for. Certainly there is mutual military assistance between fleets, but as far as colonial-specific laws and regulations go, it depends on the colonies in question.

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Old 2008-07-29, 01:28   Link #363
MaiHikari
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post

Spoiler for Earrings:
Spoiler for response to Sheryl's earrings:

Last edited by MaiHikari; 2008-07-29 at 10:55. Reason: Remove offensive comment
MaiHikari is offline  
Old 2008-07-29, 01:32   Link #364
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiHikari View Post

The Japanese don't really care to vote for their government because the government is useless. Japan is still ran by Yakuza from behind the scene. I don't mean young gangsters trying to bully others, but professional organized crime that controls the laws of Japanese commerce. Such is the result of a weak state post WWII.
That is unfortunately, a rather pessimistic and ultimately incorrect assessment of Japanese politics as a whole. I am afraid it is very far from the truth. I certainly hope you are joking.

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Old 2008-07-29, 01:53   Link #365
MaiHikari
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
That is unfortunately, a rather pessimistic and ultimately incorrect assessment of Japanese politics as a whole. I am afraid it is very far from the truth. I certainly hope you are joking.

- Tak
Nope. Not joking. I've personally seen it in action.
MaiHikari is offline  
Old 2008-07-29, 01:53   Link #366
stray
aniki
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Send a message via AIM to stray
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiHikari View Post
Spoiler for response to Sheryl's earrings:
You missed the Ranshe Mei fun a few episodes back over Ranka's mom.

RANka
SHEryl
RANSHE!!!!

anyway...
Spoiler for Sheryl:


As an aside, I have read articles that Japan typically does grossly understate their crime statistics, as well as some scary things about their laws (which honestly may have changed) regarding detaining prisoners without charge (Napoleon laws) but um... I'm tired.
stray is offline  
Old 2008-07-29, 01:59   Link #367
Darial
Otaku in disguise
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Somewhere in Cyberspace
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiHikari View Post
The Japanese don't really care to vote for their government because the government is useless.
Please, get your facts straight. In 2003, Japan had a voter turn-out of 67.5% for its major election (lower house of Diet). The comparable U.S. election, the 2004 presidential election, had a turn-out rate of 56.2%, 11.3% less than the Japanese voter turn-out rate.

Here's a University of Tokyo report on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiHikari View Post
Japan is still ran by Yakuza from behind the scene. I don't mean young gangsters trying to bully others, but professional organized crime that controls the laws of Japanese commerce.
While there are ties between organized crime and corrupt politicians, I don't think it's anywhere as extensive as you imagine it to be. Hope you are kidding about this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiHikari View Post
Such is the result of a weak state post WWII.
Dunno which country you are imagining, but the Japanese government officials and SDF officers I met during the three years I lived there on official business did not give off the impression that they are a weak state. Just ask their Chinese, Taiwanese, and Korean neighbors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
As an aside, I have read articles that Japan typically does grossly understate their crime statistics, as well as some scary things about their laws (which honestly may have changed) regarding detaining prisoners without charge (Napoleon laws) but um... I'm tired.
The problem is that being a shame based culture, people under report certain types of crimes. So I would say it has more to do with the culture than any official cover-up. As for pubic safety, Japan is generally much safer than U.S. I have wandered drunk through quite a few parts of Tokyo late at night with no ill effects. And my colleagues (especially female ones) when I was living there also remarked about how safe they felt walking alone home at night.

As for law... well, all I have to say is don't get in trouble with the Japanese police. They can hold you for up to 48 hours without charge. If they feel like they got enough, then they can request an indictment from a prosecutor. The prosecutor has 24 hours to get a detention order from a judge, and then they got up to 20 more days to decide whether to file charges or not.

Usually there are no bails for foreigners, and the detention facility condition is poor. I recall someone informed me that it was like "Lord of the Files." Since I only visited a post-sentencing jail with strict discipline on official tour, I can't say if the description of pre-trial detention facility is accurate or not. Regardless, I don't recommend going there.

Last edited by Darial; 2008-07-29 at 02:36.
Darial is offline  
Old 2008-07-29, 02:11   Link #368
MaiHikari
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darial View Post
Please, get your facts straight. In 2003, Japan had a voter turn-out of 67.5% for its major election (lower house of Diet). The comparable U.S. election, the 2004 presidential election, had a turn-out rate of 56.2%, 11.3% less than the Japanese voter turn-out rate.

Here's a University of Tokyo report on it
You're comparing two different sizes of population. It's like comparing apples to oranges. In a larger state, many will carry the mentality that their votes don't matter. Along with all other hurdles of voting issues.

Quote:
While there are ties between organized crime and corrupt politicians, I don't think it's anywhere as extensive as you imagine it to be. Hope you are kidding about this one.
May be you're right, since my experience has been biased.

Quote:
Dunno which country you are imagining, but the Japanese government officials and SDF officers I met during the three years I lived there on official business did not give off the impression that they are a weak state. Just ask their Chinese, Taiwanese, and Korean neighbors.
Impression can be misleading. Japan is a proud state after all. Their military power, however, still frails in comparison to neighboring states.
MaiHikari is offline  
Old 2008-07-29, 02:18   Link #369
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiHikari View Post
Nope. Not joking. I've personally seen it in action.
Of all the years I have lived there, I can easily dispute your claim with many examples.

Never mind Japan is a very safe country, certainly not an easy accomplishment if it was as crime-ridden as you claim it to be.

Not to mention Japan still has one of the best welfare systems in the world right now. Again making the case that the government is actually useful.

In any case, with my experiences there, I can easily say that the Japanese government is in fact far more efficient and certainly more well rooted to the society than most others, even amongst First World Countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiHikari View Post
Their military power, however, still frails in comparison to neighboring states.
You are absolutely mistaken.

The Japanese self defense force is known for being the most effective armed forces in Asia.

Obviously, the JSDF does not have numerical superiority, but its overall quality is an envy to its neighbors. Moreover, the Japanese navy, as well as its air force are the strongest in the region. There is no dispute in that. I do not know where you get your false impressions from, but I do suggest you read up some facts.

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Old 2008-07-29, 02:25   Link #370
MaiHikari
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Age: 32
We digressed from topic. Let's just agree we have vastly different point of views. Two sides of the same coin.
MaiHikari is offline  
Old 2008-07-29, 02:28   Link #371
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiHikari View Post
We digressed from topic. Let's just agree we have vastly different point of views. Two sides of the same coin.
It is not difficult to check facts, especially in regards to the JSDF. Your findings may surprise you.

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Old 2008-07-29, 02:33   Link #372
Darial
Otaku in disguise
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Somewhere in Cyberspace
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiHikari View Post
Their military power, however, still frails in comparison to neighboring states.
I probably know the JMSDF better than most people here in RL. All I can say is just because they chose to call a bazooka an air rifle doesn't change the fact it can still blow up tanks. Appearance (made to appease international sensitivities) can be very deceiving sometimes to the general public. Regrettably, the Chinese saw right through it, hence we're having a nice little naval arms race in NE Asia right now.

Last edited by Darial; 2008-07-29 at 03:13.
Darial is offline  
Old 2008-07-29, 06:52   Link #373
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Freedom Guard Ship Amaterasu
Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
You can't understate the political repurcussions of Sheryl dying any more than you already have.

All English-speaking countries would go to war with Japan. Otakus would flood the streets with protest and bully law enforcement. The U.S. would deploy their navy and blockade the entire coast of Japan! The British would raid the country and take it as their own sattelite-state of Area 11.

The only way any of it could be stopped... Is if Sheryl was brought back! NOBODY takes away people's hopes and dreams! ESPECIALLY not their melons! NEVER steal a man's melons!
I so agree and as much as i love Japan if above said were to take place I would have to enlist for the honor of Sheryl. As Traece said you never steal a mans melons. If they kill Sheryl pitchforks and torches wont be sufficient this time.
__________________
Sinestra is offline  
Old 2008-07-29, 07:11   Link #374
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bryan/College Station, Texas USA
Age: 39
Ok some one needs to open a window because all the bullshit in the last few pages in this thread is sure stinking up the place.
kilroy0097 is offline  
Old 2008-07-29, 07:51   Link #375
ipernorris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiHikari View Post
The Japanese don't really care to vote for their government because the government is useless. Japan is still ran by Yakuza from behind the scene. I don't mean young gangsters trying to bully others, but professional organized crime that controls the laws of Japanese commerce. Such is the result of a weak state post WWII.
Your comment is one of the most offensive one I've read on this board: you're offending an entire country. I'm sure you have links to back what you're saying, right?!? Give me some please!
BTW: why are you watching an anime made by the yakuza, following your reasonment?
ipernorris is offline  
Old 2008-07-29, 08:17   Link #376
cerrian
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
And that people is why we don't talk politics on an anime thread
cerrian is offline  
Old 2008-07-29, 08:21   Link #377
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipernorris View Post
Your comment is one of the most offensive one I've read on this board: you're offending an entire country. I'm sure you have links to back what you're saying, right?!? Give me some please!
BTW: why are you watching an anime made by the yakuza, following your reasonment?
Because yakuza make good anime? Seto no Hanayome was brilliant!
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2008-07-29, 08:50   Link #378
MFSxA
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Where Rei Ayanami is...or prolly dreaming.
You peeps are all wrong. We, the Sheruminati, own this world.

And all your daughters will be our smex slaves. And the women that closely resemble Sheryl will be my personal smex slaves, I mean my wives - you gotta treat each incarnation with respect or she beats the crap outta you. She's not easy you know.

Thursday is too long a wait...and then another Thursday.
MFSxA is offline  
Old 2008-07-29, 10:18   Link #379
MaiHikari
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipernorris View Post
Your comment is one of the most offensive one I've read on this board: you're offending an entire country. I'm sure you have links to back what you're saying, right?!? Give me some please!
BTW: why are you watching an anime made by the yakuza, following your reasonment?
I apologize if I've offended anyone on this board for that was not my intention at all. There are no links and I'm just speaking from my experience. I shouldn't have said it for all of Japan though, or said anything political here.
MaiHikari is offline  
Old 2008-07-29, 10:44   Link #380
CaptGloval
New Macross soon
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Macross 30 Emigration Fleet
Back to Frontier politics, after the events in the game VF-X-2 IIRC, there should've been a shakeup in the UN Government, and then some more perhaps. Thus what we have in 2059 is the New UN Government.

Spoiler for earth vs colonies in anime:
CaptGloval is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.