AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Monster

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-04-26, 19:03   Link #21
mirichan
Senior member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by WabukiSensei
Spoiler for Chapter 18 spoiler:
Spoiler:
mirichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-26, 19:12   Link #22
WabukiSensei
Chillin out
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirichan
Mmm... I disagree but I'm not sure of my interpretation so here goes:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
WabukiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-26, 20:01   Link #23
brightman
Ancient Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirichan
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
__________________
Copyright © 2014 Brightman
brightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-26, 20:10   Link #24
WabukiSensei
Chillin out
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman
Spoiler:
No, you're wrong....
Spoiler:
WabukiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-26, 20:12   Link #25
brightman
Ancient Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by WabukiSensei
No, you're wrong....
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
__________________
Copyright © 2014 Brightman
brightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-26, 21:43   Link #26
Vicious
merely a ghost
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Age: 27
Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Spoiler:
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-26, 21:59   Link #27
stpehen
kisses for all
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: ぶちゅー!
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
__________________
stpehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-27, 06:27   Link #28
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
Spoiler:

Or perhaps they've had their current names for so long that it's become them
__________________
God is on the side with the biggest cannon.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-27, 10:19   Link #29
whatever123
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to whatever123
read the first spoiler for ranting only

Spoiler:


anyways enough ranting i think that the ending was very suitable after all it was a suspense thriller manga with deep questions which were answered
Spoiler:

further more they concluded each character ending

thanx urusawa sensie for this great manga and thank you stephen and the staff in mangascreener for bringing us this great manga

edit: i dont know why am i forgetting the spoiler tags
__________________

Last edited by whatever123; 2004-04-27 at 10:29.
whatever123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-27, 16:06   Link #30
eLstar
(^_^)v
 
Join Date: May 2003
It was a good run. Very cool.

Spoiler for End of Monster:


You will be missed Monster. You will be missed...
eLstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 08:05   Link #31
cf18
Mecha Pilot
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by WabukiSensei
No, you're wrong....
Spoiler:
Last chapter spoiler
Spoiler:
cf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 12:06   Link #32
Vicious
merely a ghost
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Age: 27
Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf18
Last chapter spoiler
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 18:42   Link #33
brightman
Ancient Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf18
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
__________________
Copyright © 2014 Brightman
brightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-05, 18:20   Link #34
guest
guess
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
I have finished reading manga and I love this one! The story is really well developed and deep. It never stop surprising you! However:

Is Johan (the evil guy) a made monster or a born monster?

Of course, at first, he appears to be a devil incarnation, pure evil to the bone and was born that way. He enjoys doing whatever he is doing. He just seems to have this “power” to influence people to the degree that nobody else can. As his past is revealed, it becomes vagus if Johan is a born monster. It seems that he is deeply hurt by her mother’s reaction when she gives up one of the twins to the people for experiment. He feels abandoned, very understandably. Yet, does that alone can transform Johan into the person he is today, like the most evil person ever walked on the surface of earth? That incident is the only thing I can see which hurts little Johan and possibly change his personality forever.

I am not sure if Johan really loves Nina, his twin sister, or not. At first glance, it seems that she is the only one he truly cares. He found good foster parents for her and left. She lived with no knowledge for his evil doing, hence protected her from all the harm. When she is now an adult, Johan seeks out for her. Whenever Nina has contacted with Johan’s “organization”, e.g., the “baby” etc, a specific order was given and Nina has been treated very nicely by those bad guys. If it weren’t for Johan, I think she would have been killed 5 min. after being kidnapped by any of the bad guys. Yet, when Johan finally meets Nina, he tries to kill her, again, by using his power which affects people and induces them to commit suicide. Another thing is, if Johan feels abandoned by his mother, it’s possible that he believes her mother loves Nina more and hence, wants to kill her. However, Johan seems genuinely loves Nina. Which is it?

Asides from that, Johan appears to enjoy disguising as Nina ever since he is a child. What is he doing wearing his sister’s clothes and even a wig when Nina escapes from the red rose mansion and runs back home? “Welcome back,” he says. Nina thought she was seeing herself in front of her very eyes!

One last thing. At final volume, Dr. Tenma finds the twin’s mother. She said that the man killed her lover and therefore, she will never forgive him. I just don’t like holding grudge against someone for a long time. It really twists one’s personality and s/he can dwell into those negative emotions forever, hence hurting people around, including him/herself. Look at what she did to her twin. Yes, one may argue that it’s very hard not to do so if you hate someone that much. But it still doesn’t change the fact that you are just going to dwell into that big hole forever. Unless she is willing to pull herself out from that hole, nobody can help her.



Such a long post. I appreciate anyone who read this.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-05, 19:50   Link #35
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: South East Asia
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
Is Johan (the evil guy) a made monster or a born monster?
There is a Monster lurking in each and every one of us. Whether it surfaces depends on one's character and how he/she handles the events that they experience. The manga has pretty much shown this by displaying how everyone can be manipulated by a 'Monster' e.g. Johan, into becoming one as well. Johan and his cohorts are mainly the 'Boss Monsters'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
I am not sure if Johan really loves Nina, his twin sister, or not. (snipped) Which is it?
It is likely to be a love-hate relationship but primarily love. Johan was the one that was not selected by his mother to be sent to the Red Mansion. If he didn't really love his sister, he would not have ran back to the Three Frogs and waited for his sister, asked his sister to tell him everything, wiped out her memory (directly or indirectly) & made those memories his own, then go around travelling with her in tow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
Asides from that, Johan appears to enjoy disguising as Nina ever since he is a child. What is he doing wearing his sister’s clothes and even a wig when Nina escapes from the red rose mansion and runs back home? “Welcome back,” he says. Nina thought she was seeing herself in front of her very eyes!
I would say it was part of his plans all along since he decided to be the one to possess the memory of the Red Mansion and help her forget, he had to be her. My own theory is Johan was the prime candidate and a genius even at that young age. His mother might have sent Nina, knowing that if it was Johan who went instead, Franz's plans would have been fulfilled and she likely would not want that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
One last thing. At final volume, Dr. Tenma finds the twin’s mother. She said that the man killed her lover and therefore, she will never forgive him. I just don’t like holding grudge against someone for a long time. It really twists one’s personality and s/he can dwell into those negative emotions forever, hence hurting people around, including him/herself. Look at what she did to her twin. Yes, one may argue that it’s very hard not to do so if you hate someone that much. But it still doesn’t change the fact that you are just going to dwell into that big hole forever. Unless she is willing to pull herself out from that hole, nobody can help her.
She's written to be a human, just like the characters in the series. Each and everyone of them can be a believable character in real life, not stereotypes to fulfill our likings and dislikes. She's not a fictionalised saint. After knowing all she went through, it is not hard to envisage why she says she hates Franz forever.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-06, 15:22   Link #36
guest
guess
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
It is likely to be a love-hate relationship but primarily love. Johan was the one that was not selected by his mother to be sent to the Red Mansion. If he didn't really love his sister, he would not have ran back to the Three Frogs and waited for his sister, asked his sister to tell him everything, wiped out her memory (directly or indirectly) & made those memories his own, then go around travelling with her in tow.
I must have missed something here. I thought Nina was sent to the red rose mansion while Johan stayed home. After Nina witnessed the massacre, she ran back home and saw Johan in her dress with wig and everything. She told Johan everything because she was frightened and needed to talk to someone. Johan was there.

Johan never left the three frog place. He could not have run back home because he was already there and never went to the red rose mansion. He was not sent away. I don't know if the twin's mother made a mistake sending the wrong child for experiment. If like you say, everyone is capable of becoming a monster, what does that matter which of the twin was the subject of the experiment? If Johan is the "boss," maybe Nina can do that, too. After all, she is Johan's sister, isn't she? Someone makes a commit about those "eyes" of Nina when she was threatening him. That rage, those eyes, she looks just like Johan. Not only she looks like Johan, but you can see Johan in her. Frankly, I don’t think the twin’s mother even knows about Johan’s “potential.” She was drown in her own rage toward Franz too much to notice that.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-08, 14:49   Link #37
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
oh gosh no!
Spoiler:
__________________
Current Addictions:LoGH Gaiden Spiral Labyrinth; Kimi ni Todoke
Eyeshield 21 (nani ?), Naruto Shippuuden, & (need suggestions)
pathyfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-09, 11:04   Link #38
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: South East Asia
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
Johan never left the three frog place.
I made a mistake. Yes, Johan never left that room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
If like you say, everyone is capable of becoming a monster, what does that matter which of the twin was the subject of the experiment?
Because different stimuli exist for different people. That is why Johan is deadly as a Monster, he can understand, empathise and find the stimuli to make you do what you would find detestable to do. He's able to make you murder or doubt yourself or friends. He's able to make you wander around in disgust at the world and either bloodily take it on or kill yourself. He's able to induce you to turn into a lesser version of him. The potential for being a Monster is in everyone but not everyone could be the ultimate Monster like Johan. And the stimuli for making you do the things you would not have done is different for each and everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
If Johan is the "boss," maybe Nina can do that, too. After all, she is Johan's sister, isn't she?
Biological relations are not a strong criteria. It is the character. Nina is the one to witness the events. Yet she did not become a Monster. Johan is the one who became a Monster once he is aware of the events. This shows that Nina is not Johan in character. Her potential for being a 'Monster' is different from Johan as well as the stimuli for pushing her into that direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
Someone makes a commit about those "eyes" of Nina when she was threatening him. That rage, those eyes, she looks just like Johan. Not only she looks like Johan, but you can see Johan in her.
The 'eyes' mentioned is meant in the context of "the way you look at someone". It is not on the physical attributes but the spirit/attitude/manner. Nina could kill. She would kill but only because for her beliefs. The conviction to kill, regardless of what threats/incentives to deter her is what scared "Baby", not because she is a "Monster". Baby used Johan to describe Nina's conviction because Johan also would have killed someone if he decided to but Johan's reasons would be different from Nina's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
Frankly, I don’t think the twin’s mother even knows about Johan’s “potential.” She was drown in her own rage toward Franz too much to notice that.
That may be or may not be. That point is all up for speculation since the twins' mother's motivations & story were never fully described. But it gives interesting and logical speculation that if she did, she had given Nina away to frustrate Franz's experiments. If she had given Johan instead, the experiment would have been a success and we know she doesn't want that.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 18:24   Link #39
lavarock
Busy wasting my time..:-(
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
Asides from that, Johan appears to enjoy disguising as Nina ever since he is a child. What is he doing wearing his sister’s clothes and even a wig when Nina escapes from the red rose mansion and runs back home? “Welcome back,” he says. Nina thought she was seeing herself in front of her very eyes!

The tendency of cross-dressing for Johan started at the time when Nina was sent to do the study in the red rose mansion. Their mom want to give the other people illusion that there is only one child, therefore dress him like his sister, and since they are twins, it's not difficult.
I think in a psychological standpoint, that cross-dressing affect Johan's personality, and therefore give him a second personality as his sister. That was also revealed in the book when the monster splits apart.
lavarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-27, 11:15   Link #40
Fighter747
Junior Member
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
The Ending of Monster(Manga)

WARNING: There might be some spoilers to you anime-only watchers of Monster, so don't read on if you don't want to find out what happens at the end! (I'll still use spoiler tags, just in case.)



Spoiler:

Last edited by Fighter747; 2004-12-28 at 22:33.
Fighter747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.