AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-04-20, 17:09   Link #1
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Damaged $30 DVD--Repair?

A few pieces of the refractive surface on my Full Metal Panic! Disc 2 is... missing. The entire FMP! DiscSet is among one one of my most prized possesion, especially considering my finances are a bit tight. Is there a way to repair refractive-shedding by say, CD Doctor or similar products? Or is said disc as good as gone, and I should just pay $20-$30 more for a replacement? Any help is appreciated.
二人がそれを忘れぬ限り Futari ga soreo wasurenu kagiri|As long as it's never forgotten by these two in love.

君が望む永遠 Kimi ga Nozomu Eien|The Eternity of Your Wish
サカイ殿、漢字のティプ、感謝しました
Sig. Note: The Japanese text is transcribed from the lines spoken in the show by myself (not good enough in Japanese). I'd like everyone knowledgable in Japanese to correct me in any errors|For the English translation: If anyone skilled in English comes up with a better, more poetic interpretation, I'm all ears.
Melazoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-20, 17:28   Link #2
Raven_Zero

Send a message via AIM to Raven_Zero Send a message via Yahoo to Raven_Zero
Not that i know of. Disc doctor and other products like it work buy grinding of some plastic from the disc to remove scratches. I know of no way to repair a disc that the foil peeled off.

Last edited by Raven_Zero; 2004-04-21 at 07:47.
Raven_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-20, 19:50   Link #3
Melazoma

Just as I feared... there goes $20 outta my pocket
二人がそれを忘れぬ限り Futari ga soreo wasurenu kagiri|As long as it's never forgotten by these two in love.

サカイ殿、漢字のティプ、感謝しました
Sig. Note: The Japanese text is transcribed from the lines spoken in the show by myself (not good enough in Japanese). I'd like everyone knowledgable in Japanese to correct me in any errors|For the English translation: If anyone skilled in English comes up with a better, more poetic interpretation, I'm all ears.
Old 2004-04-21, 15:00   Link #4
ZhouYu
^im with stupid

try pulling a quick one and say the disc was defective when u bought it.... they might replace it for u
Old 2004-04-21, 15:23   Link #5
Melazoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhouYu
try pulling a quick one and say the disc was defective when u bought it.... they might replace it for u
I thought about that--except it'd be wrong, also it's been a while (6-month or more) since I bought it, and I've lost the receipt. Also I can't bring myself to do that--seeing how I worked in a Blockbuster for two years. I'd feel sorry for whoever's in my shoes now, in any retail store.

サカイ殿、漢字のティプ、感謝しました
Old 2004-04-21, 17:12   Link #6
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Well...

If you've already written off the disc, then why not experiment on it? All the patch/cover needs to do is reflect right? If that's the case then I'd suggest trying some silver leaf. It's light enough to not throw off the disc's balance and if applied correctly it might work. I'd recommend you learn how to handle silver leaf first though because it's incredibly fragile and a pain to work with at times.

Or you could jus scrap a small strip of the stuff of another useless/damaged CD with a razor blade and afix it somehow...
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-21, 17:29   Link #7
Melazoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
Well...

If you've already written off the disc, then why not experiment on it? All the patch/cover needs to do is reflect right? If that's the case then I'd suggest trying some silver leaf. It's light enough to not throw off the disc's balance and if applied correctly it might work. I'd recommend you learn how to handle silver leaf first though because it's incredibly fragile and a pain to work with at times.

Or you could jus scrap a small strip of the stuff of another useless/damaged CD with a razor blade and afix it somehow...
Actually, it's not just one small piece of the refractive surface--it's more like one giant piece, covering about half of the surface, and within that half-circle, varying degrees of shedding in about two or more spots.

And what's this "Silver leaf" you speak of? Pray tell Will I need a soldering iron? or some sort of adhesive? Just intrigued, not actually thinking about abusing this disc further... yet

サカイ殿、漢字のティプ、感謝しました
Old 2004-04-21, 21:48   Link #8
RavenChild
エリック

Send a message via AIM to RavenChild Send a message via MSN to RavenChild
the surface that you are talking about holds the information on the disc. the dvd is gone and can not be repaired. but ebay is a good place to shop for dvd's and you can get legit dvd's there.
Old 2004-04-21, 22:08   Link #9
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melazoma
And what's this "Silver leaf" you speak of? Pray tell Will I need a soldering iron? or some sort of adhesive? Just intrigued, not actually thinking about abusing this disc further... yet
Silver leaf and a soldering iron... that would be a large waste of some good silver leaf. The heat would melt it instantly.

I assume you've heard of gold leaf... it's incredibly thin sheets of gold, about 1/10 the width of a human hair. Silver leaf is basically the same thing, except it's made of silver. ^^; The only real adhesive needed is the moisture from your breathe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenChild
the surface that you are talking about holds the information on the disc. the dvd is gone and can not be repaired. but ebay is a good place to shop for dvd's and you can get legit dvd's there.
Oh... then silver leaf definitely wouldn't work.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-21, 22:32   Link #10
Melazoma

Thanks for all your help^^ I've ordered FMP! Disc 2 at $18 U.S. and free shipping from an online retailer recommended on the AnimeSuki BT homepage. Hopefully this one will last longer

サカイ殿、漢字のティプ、感謝しました
Old 2004-04-28, 19:27   Link #11
Majin-EBK4

the manufacturer will probbally replace it for you as long as you pay for shipping i mean a DVD only cost them about 2 cents to make, contact them and they will replace it for you
Little Nancy was in the garden filling in a hole when her neighbor peered over the fence. Interested in what the cheeky-faced youngster was doing, he politely asked, "What are you up to there, Nancy?"
"My goldfish died," replied Nancy tearfully, without looking up, "and I've just buried him." The neighbor was concerned, "That's an awfully big hole for a goldfish isn't it?" Nancy patted down the last heap of earth then replied, "That's because he's inside your cat."
Majin-EBK4 is offline   Reply With Quote