AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2008-08-29, 19:28   Link #1
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Flickering ASS subtitles in mplayer

I've noticed the ASS softsubs in Matroska releases often flicker on screen. I browsed a bit in the mplayer mailing lists and saw a recommendation to use -correct-pts. This seemed to help the flickering problem, but it slowed down seeking considerably. (Since correct-pts concerns timing I can understand why it might create a seeking issue.)

Has anyone else experienced the flickering subtitles problem? Seeking issues with -correct-pts? Any other solutions besides -correct-pts?

I'm using Fedora 8 with mplayer-1.0-0.91.20080531svn.lvn8 from the Livna repository. It believe it's the SVN snapshot for May 31st of this year. The machine is a Pentium D at 3.0 GHz with an nVidia GeForce 6600. (I'm not using the proprietary driver at the moment; will that help?) It usually has no problem decoding 720p H.264 streams, so I don't really think it's a performance issue.
Old 2008-08-29, 21:19   Link #2
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Have you tried any other -vo options? Using the proprietary driver may help. I find the open source nvidia driver severely lacking.
Old 2008-08-30, 12:08   Link #3
Miles Teg

For me -correct-pts has resolved the problem of the flickering subtitles (I am using the nVidia proprietary driver, and XV as a vo).

The seeking is as fast as before.

Ubuntu 8.04, mplayer SVN-r27478-4.2.3 (compiled one or two weeks ago), C2D E6750, GeForce 8500.
Old 2008-08-30, 13:21   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I've installed the proprietary driver on this system; we'll see if that helps. (The problem for me was that kernels beyond 2.6.23 appear to include some revisions to the driver for the Linksys wifi adapter that rendered my Linksys 802.11b USB adapter useless. I can't get the 802.11g adapter I bought to work at all. While I could have compiled the nVidia driver myself, I prefer to stick with RPMs whenever possible, so I had to track down the now-deprecated nVidia driver from Livna.)

I find that when I seek with either Kplayer or SMplayer, I have to go past the point I want to be at, then go back one click. That problem seemed more aggravated with -correct-pts, but it doesn't appear any worse now. Maybe the driver helped.

Glad to know I wasn't the only person seeing flickering subtitles. Thanks for the advice.

Tags
mplayer, subtitles