AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2008-08-28, 00:56   Link #61
Veronin
Fun things are (not) fun.

This album is terrible.
Old 2008-08-28, 14:12   Link #62
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
You know, I'm probably one of the few people who could even possibly get away with saying "I like Tool" and "I like The Who" whilst uttering "I like Linkin Park" right after and still keep my head in tact...I don't know how, but somehow, Linkin Park really attracts to me...I used to hate them during "Hybrid Theory" but changed my mind during "Meteora" and retconned myself by going backwards and finding myself liking their first album...So when "Minutes to Midnight" first came out, I was almost ready to release it on it's release date, but just reluctant enough to hold out on the purchase until the spring of this year, and only motivated enough to start actually listening to it over the summer...

And you know...I was both excited and disappointed...

Excited in that with the help of Rick Rubin, Linkin Park put out a moderately mature album that doesn't sound as "all over the place" as their last two releases were...They seemed to be more focused composition wise, as the songs seemed less like songs and a little like compositions...They toned down the rap-rock aspect of it, and they've got Chester screaming less...Both are pluses for me...I really have to give it to Chester for his singing abilities on "Leave Out All The Rest", "Shadow Of The Day" and "Valentine's Day"...

Disappointments? It wasn't heavy enough like their last two albums...Yeah, you have "Given Up", "Bleed It Out" and "No More Sorrow", but that just isn't enough...You've got three really heavy songs while the rest are just too soft...Now I don't mind the soft songs because I also like melody, but I wanted a better balance of heavy and soft like on "Meteora"...

My main disappointment, and continuing complaint of Linkin Park? Lyrically, Chester Bennington is an emo-pussy..He wines too goddamn much...When I first heard that "Minutes To Midnight" would be more mature, I took it that Chester's so-called "problems" would be absent from the lyrics, and yes, while I still found the album overall matured, it still doesn't hide the fact that the lyrics on paper are still largely written by an emo-bitch...If I think about the lyrics too much, I start hating them; One thoughtful moment on the lyrics of "Valentine's Day" and you almost wanna pull off a Kurt Cobaine and shoot yourself out of misery...Mike Shinoda's pathetic attempt at a "political" song with "Hands Held High" seems nothing more like an aimless attempt at sounding serious and thoughtful when instead it's a political bandwagon trend that I hate hearing in entertainment, and I can't take Mike seriously when he raps like that either...

Is it a good album? Yes...Could it be better? Yes...Do I blame Chester Bennington for it's shortcomings? Hell yes!

Rick Rubin deserves better people to work with than this...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-30, 08:16   Link #63
Daughter!

This album from the first song to the last song was screaming "hey guys! hey look! we have singles! look at all the singles! and there's rap too! you like rap?" The only track I could bear to listen to is "Shadow of the Day." They got some good electronics on that one. Other than that this record is trash.

Even a producer like Rick Rubin could only do so much to an album like this.
Daughter! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-30, 09:45   Link #64
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
You have to give it to Linkin Park for their marketing strategy of releasing singles out the ass...Rock bands of the 1970s and 1980s used to do that, but there are a lot of bands of today that will produce a 13-track CD or whatever and only release 2 or 3 singles off of it...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote