AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-04-24, 18:03   Link #1
ShadowX114
is my nickname

HardDisk D not detected

I got this weird problem on my old PC.

I have 2 hard disks C:\ and D:\ last time, I tried to go into my hard D: but suddenly, its not there!!! The cdrom which was E:\ replaced it, so it took the name of D:\ What could be the problem? I went to "Dive Manager" and in the list, the HardDisk has a "!" what could be the problem? I tried to update the driver but even after the update, nothing happens.

Please help. I have some anime there.
Old 2004-04-24, 18:25   Link #2
Tritium
doaho...

maybe the flat cable on the HDD isn't connected right or the power cable or one of the 2 is broken? open your pc and check your cables. and go to your bios and see if the HDD is detected there and set it to auto detect (do this one first then check your cables ).
Old 2004-04-24, 22:28   Link #3
b4k4

Send a message via AIM to b4k4
Before you go and open the case, let's try something a little less rash. In the Device Manager, right-click on the drive and click "Uninstall". More than likely, the installed driver, or the configuration for that drive has developed a problem. After rebooting, post-uninstallation, Windows should pick back up on the drive, and reconfigure itself appropriately. If this doesn't work, check your BIOS settings and make sure the system itself can see it. If the BIOS can't see it, then it may be as simple as a loose cable, or as severe as a bad or failing drive or controller. I wouldn't recommend opening your case and working inside of it if you don't know what you're doing. If the above suggestions don't work, and unless you are comfortable working inside your own computer, I'd suggest taking it in to be checked by a qualified service technician.
Old 2004-04-26, 17:21   Link #4
ShadowX114
is my nickname

b4k4, I will try the uninstalling method right after checking the BIOS.

But the problem is....I can't enter to the BIOS!! I kept hitting the "Delete" key but nothing is happenning, I reboot the computer and for the 2nd time, I tried to press F9 to F12 at the same time but it still not going into the BIOS. What is the button I have to press to be able to go there??? Cuz I thought it was the "DELETE" one.
Old 2004-04-26, 17:47   Link #5
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

lol, each comp uses a different button to enter the BIOS...try ESC, then all the F keys, and since Delete doesn't work you can count that one out...

Honestly i don't even know what button i have to press...i start at ESC and go down the line until i reach delete...but i think mine is somewhere between ESC and F4

SENIOR MEMBER 2 OF
"The so exclusive club, you cannot join, umm err, club!"

-established Oct 26, 2003-

Hate goes out to any imitations, relation, or blatant wanna-be of stated club
- The ONE and ORIGINAL -
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-26, 22:21   Link #6
ShadowX114
is my nickname

Thx to Superchop, I got into the BIOS It was the ESC button.

the BIOS is detecting both Harddisks, so yes, its detecting harddisk D (If it shows me the name of the HARDdisk as a 2nd IDE, then its detecting it, right?)

But win98, is still not detecting it. I wanted to do the Uninstall method but it says that I can't delete the 2nd IDE unless I delete the Primary IDE too and I of course dont want to delete the P. IDE, so what can I do now?
Old 2004-04-27, 00:38   Link #7
b4k4

It sounds like you're trying to uninstall the drive controller. You'll want to uninstall the drive itself, the item that has the (!) next to it.
Old 2004-04-27, 22:59   Link #8
ShadowX114
is my nickname

Thats what I tried to do. I tried to unistall the one with the "!" but it asked me to uninstall the one that is working fine with it.
Old 2004-04-28, 00:01   Link #9
b4k4

Hmm...

Maybe go ahead and uninstall both? You have a higher chance of borking your system but it might work. It sounds like the controller and/or it's driver are screwy. Perhaps it might be a good idea to follow Tritium's suggestion and check the cables, if you're comfortable working inside the computer. What version of Windows are you running?
Old 2004-04-28, 14:26   Link #10
MwyC

Send a message via AIM to MwyC Send a message via MSN to MwyC
DONT uninstall both
he said he was 98...but is that SE?
early versions of 98 do mess stuff up
but with all the updates its a workable system
i had this happen to me and it was a problem with the cable
i replaced it with another one for cdn10 and that fixed it
MwyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 14:57   Link #11
Shift_

Uninstall the Primary IDE controller, when windows gets back in it'll automatically reinstall it.
Old 2004-04-28, 18:47   Link #12
Majin-EBK4

If you have a second computer

Yeah man if you got a second computer try checking to make sure your drive isnt failing, Put it in a different computer and see if it works.
also just a few questions
#1 how old is the harddrive
#2 it's an IDE (not scsi)
Little Nancy was in the garden filling in a hole when her neighbor peered over the fence. Interested in what the cheeky-faced youngster was doing, he politely asked, "What are you up to there, Nancy?"
"My goldfish died," replied Nancy tearfully, without looking up, "and I've just buried him." The neighbor was concerned, "That's an awfully big hole for a goldfish isn't it?" Nancy patted down the last heap of earth then replied, "That's because he's inside your cat."
Majin-EBK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 20:43   Link #13
ShadowX114
is my nickname

Quote:
Originally Posted by MwyC
DONT uninstall both
he said he was 98...but is that SE?
early versions of 98 do mess stuff up
but with all the updates its a workable system
i had this happen to me and it was a problem with the cable
i replaced it with another one for cdn10 and that fixed it
Its win98 but not SE.
You said that your problem happened because of the cables, but did the BIOS detected it even if it was beacuse of the cables? Because I think my cables are fine if the BIOS is detecting the HD.

Shift_ , im afraid of taking that risk. Cuz like I said before, I removed a device that also had a "!" but it never talked about it anymore.

Majin-EBK4 , my HD is way too old, I bought on ~1999 , like I said, its an old HD on an old PC.
Old 2004-04-30, 02:03   Link #14
Majin-EBK4

most average hard drives are good for about 1,000,000+ hours of operation so it might be going bad, but i think your problem is software related. Did you make any changes to the computer before this happened?
i alsso recommend starting a thread at the techrepublic.com forum you be able to get some very expierenced IT pros to help you out there
Little Nancy was in the garden filling in a hole when her neighbor peered over the fence. Interested in what the cheeky-faced youngster was doing, he politely asked, "What are you up to there, Nancy?"
"My goldfish died," replied Nancy tearfully, without looking up, "and I've just buried him." The neighbor was concerned, "That's an awfully big hole for a goldfish isn't it?" Nancy patted down the last heap of earth then replied, "That's because he's inside your cat."
Majin-EBK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-30, 10:25   Link #15
Shift_

Don't give me that bull of 1,000,000 hours stuff.

HDS can last a LONG time.

I have a 10GB 7200rpm HD way back from 97 works perfect. All my HDs are abused to hell, granted they are all Western Digital or Segate drives, but they're all still alive.
Old 2004-04-30, 11:53   Link #16
MwyC

Send a message via AIM to MwyC Send a message via MSN to MwyC
western digi and seagate are the way to go
my damn maxtors ALWAYS crap out on me or give me problems after 3 or so years, if not earlier
MwyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 03:56   Link #17
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Send a message via ICQ to KeinikuSuki
One thing to try before messing with drivers (PS This only works with Windows 2000, XP, or Server 2003):

1. Open Control Pannels
2. If you cannot see Administrative Tools, Log on as an Administrator
3. Open the Administrative Tools Folder
4. Choose Computer Management
5. Click on Disk Management

You should see something like this:

(Sorry About the Large Size, no Photoshop on this Computer)

Check to see if the Hard Drive is listed.

If the drive is listed, check to see if the drive has a drive letter listed after the lable (See the Red Circle). If not:

1. Right click on the Drive in the List.
2. Choose "Change Drive Letter and Paths..."
3. Click Add in the Dialog box that appears.
4. Make Sure "Assignt the following drive letter:" is selected.
5. Choose "D:" from the drop down list.
6. Click OK Twice.
7. This should mount the drive to the letter D:.

It's a long shot, but I hope this works for you.
KeinikuSuki is offline   Reply With Quote