AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-09-02, 13:33   Link #2041
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage View Post
That would probably be a vote against Obama, moreso than a vote approving McCain.

I certainly hope would-be Obama voters don't cross over because of something as silly as "OMG a woman" but I could very well be wrong.
Either way, as Hillary herself pointed out - they'd be shooting everything she ever worked for in the gut by voting for McCain. It constitutes a very high degree of irrational self-damage.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-02, 14:47   Link #2042
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Eh. It just means they weren't voting for Hillary based on her program either.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-02, 18:18   Link #2043
Neki Ecko
"Art"ful Dodger
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Everett, Washington
Age: 35
Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Eh. It just means they weren't voting for Hillary based on her program either.
That is one of the biggest fears that Obama camp has right now, that so-called Hillary voters will vote for McCain this turn but vote Clinton in the next election (2012) because Clinton loss to Obama. I know that some will covert over and if you did that because of that shame on you, shame on you.
__________________
Neki Ecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-03, 00:11   Link #2044
kissthestick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: London, England
Age: 27
why is it that the rnc convention this year lacks any colour in the crowd? sea of whites.

DNC was way more diverse
kissthestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-03, 00:16   Link #2045
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kissthestick View Post
why is it that the rnc convention this year lacks any colour in the crowd? sea of whites.

DNC was way more diverse
It's the GOP. What were you expecting? In all seriousness, I don't really know either. It must hurt their image.

And if Obama is elected and the Dems gain more seats in the Senate, Joe Lieberman is definitely losing all his chairmanships and seats on any committees.
cors8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-03, 00:18   Link #2046
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Korea
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kissthestick View Post
why is it that the rnc convention this year lacks any colour in the crowd? sea of whites.

DNC was way more diverse
Perhaps because there is a little storm that's around in the Mexican Gulf?
__________________
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-03, 01:04   Link #2047
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
From experience, politics aside, I think that there are as many people who won't vote for a woman as there are people who vote because there's a woman. I overheard many around me, no one I know, but in the park, in the bus stops, etc..., that they would never vote for women because they don't know what they're doing. This is coming from women, no less. I don't really think that Palin as a woman will be a big factor. It will play some, of course, but I think that everything that McCain did until now roughly balances out in terms of gathering more voters.

For the RNC, they pressed on the one point that swayed me to McCain in the first place. I will vote for foreign policy first before national reforms, because personally, cheaper gas doesn't mean anything if we get terrorist attacks every other week. Even though I consider our family lower middle class, we do have health insurance, a house, and jobs, so obviously I don't speak for most of the middle class.

The problem is Biden is pretty experienced in foreign policy and politics overall himself; the "Country First" argument is weakened. Even though I don't have the slightest idea what a Vice President does, what will Biden do, ignore Obama? At least he will give Obama some crucial advice regarding to foreign policy, so the Obama/Biden ticket in my opinion strengthens. What the RNC said was that they will put country first, but they never said how, and that's really the last major point that I need to hear before finalizing my decision. The way in which McCain addresses this point will make all the difference in the U.S., or even the world.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-03, 04:24   Link #2048
Neki Ecko
"Art"ful Dodger
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Everett, Washington
Age: 35
Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
Perhaps because there is a little storm that's around in the Mexican Gulf?
But they are in St Paul, Minn . You can actually tell the difference between the DNC and RNC

DNC: Pack house every night with all cultures, no violent protest anywhere, the atmosphere was incredible, powerful speeches by everybody and Sen Obama take to the house with his final speech (BTW it was on 25% of all American Households and alot more around the world)

RNC: Yall see that arena, it is almost like its dead compare to DNC with that sea going on, Violent Protests all around, it seems boring and everybody was cheering for Pres. Bush and we dont know if Sen McCain will get the same ratings as Sen Obama.
__________________
Neki Ecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-03, 05:50   Link #2049
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Alaska
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
But they are in St Paul, Minn . You can actually tell the difference between the DNC and RNC

DNC: Pack house every night with all cultures, no violent protest anywhere, the atmosphere was incredible, powerful speeches by everybody and Sen Obama take to the house with his final speech (BTW it was on 25% of all American Households and alot more around the world)

RNC: Yall see that arena, it is almost like its dead compare to DNC with that sea going on, Violent Protests all around, it seems boring and everybody was cheering for Pres. Bush and we dont know if Sen McCain will get the same ratings as Sen Obama.
I'm more concerned about how both political parties are reacting to and dealing with the hurricane than people making speeches to their own political party, in which their own political party cheer in return. So far, I've hear McCain prioritize helping out with the hurricane over the convention. I've been shifting through news reports and other forms of media to see what Obama's doing about the hurricane, but I'm not finding anything. (Anyone have anything?) So, in short, I can care less for either party's "What you can do, I can do better" national conventions. I've always been more for finding out what a person's worth is than what comes out of their mouths.
__________________
"Even in a crowd, I was always alone." - Ernest Hemmingway
"God asks no man whether he will accept life. That is not the choice. You must take it. The only choice is how." - Henry Ward Beecher
Friend: "Evidence that you guys are made of epic win." Me: "That wasn't my goal. My goal is chaos, fear and...eggs."
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-03, 06:38   Link #2050
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Neither candidate can do squat for that region. That's why we have FEMA and other official agencies actually ready this time (so they claim), so we don't have the screw up of politicians making photo ops *before* people are getting rescued. The only thing the candidates can do right now is go for publicity, to send a message that "they care" in the hopes they'll rope in more votes than the other guy. Whatever. I'm sure that's at the top of the list for people in that region right now.

I swear major media just regurgitates the same crap on every channel. I can't count how many times I heard the same exact phrases uttered just by flipping between them. It's like the scenery changes but they all have the same writer.

And yeah I know I sound grumpy about it....but honestly I just tire of hearing these "news experts" trying to sound important but really don't have anymore clue than the rest of us.
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-03, 06:59   Link #2051
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Didn't McCain divert security forces that could have helped the evacuation so he could have a photo op in the area? Or did he end up not going?

As for Obama - I've heard he pondered doing the same, but decided against it, and claimed he was ready to raise funds if the hurricane was bad. Don't know if he's decided to do it.

But really, they're just candidates for the presidency. And senators. Not all that relevant.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-03, 08:41   Link #2052
solomon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Suburban DC
Blech, the RNC is really spinning Palin faster than a tornado.

Nothing against Palin herself, it's just the spin, GOD they're stretching.

Didn't see anything RNC related last night.
Scince school is in, I thought "maybe I should do something more useful then watch a buncha old white men champion a young white woman in front of a bunch of old white people."

That and my sleeping schedule is still wonky.

I'll watch Palin tonight though.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-03, 09:49   Link #2053
Quarkboy
Anime Translator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Age: 35
Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
Okay, I need a fact check for a really insidious rumor I heard about Palin:

I read on the internet that the glasses she wears are fake, i.e. non-prescription, because it makes her look more intelligent.

Can anyone point me to a source on this, because despite that being a very "moe" thing to do it's exactly the type of thing that makes me question politicians. It sounds a bit like a left-wing story, so if anyone has heard about it with a source I'd be curious to know.

On the other hand, Yuki Nagano for vice president would be excellent.
__________________
Yomiuri Television Enterprise
International Media Strategy Chief
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-03, 10:18   Link #2054
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Blech, the RNC is really spinning Palin faster than a tornado.

Nothing against Palin herself, it's just the spin, GOD they're stretching.

Didn't see anything RNC related last night.
Scince school is in, I thought "maybe I should do something more useful then watch a buncha old white men champion a young white woman in front of a bunch of old white people."

That and my sleeping schedule is still wonky.

I'll watch Palin tonight though.
The way they spin her executive experience is hilarious. Apparently, she's more qualified than both McCain and Obama, who have 0 executive experience.

Anyone watch the clip of Sherri Shephard on The View? Palin was the head of the PTA! That's qualified, baby!
cors8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-03, 10:54   Link #2055
solomon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Suburban DC
Yea, but you gotta like how Obama/Biden themselves don't capitalize on the whole pregnancy debacle, I mean i'm rooting against the republicans but even I know it's irrelevant.

(to go terribly off topic, cors8; is the Raliegh Tar Heel town or Blue devil town I totally forget where Duke University is)
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-03, 11:28   Link #2056
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Yea, but you gotta like how Obama/Biden themselves don't capitalize on the whole pregnancy debacle, I mean i'm rooting against the republicans but even I know it's irrelevant.

(to go terribly off topic, cors8; is the Raliegh Tar Heel town or Blue devil town I totally forget where Duke University is)
Duke Blue Devils is in Durham, Tar Heels is in Chapel Hill, NC State Wolfpack is in Raleigh. Fans for all 3 are all over town though.

I agree that it's great that Obama/Biden are staying out of the pregnancy stuff. Outside groups will question McCain and Palin's policies regarding teen pregnancy though.
cors8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-03, 13:57   Link #2057
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: State of Denial
Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
But they are in St Paul, Minn . You can actually tell the difference between the DNC and RNC

DNC: Pack house every night with all cultures, no violent protest anywhere, the atmosphere was incredible, powerful speeches by everybody and Sen Obama take to the house with his final speech (BTW it was on 25% of all American Households and alot more around the world)

RNC: Yall see that arena, it is almost like its dead compare to DNC with that sea going on, Violent Protests all around, it seems boring and everybody was cheering for Pres. Bush and we dont know if Sen McCain will get the same ratings as Sen Obama.
You make it sound like the violent protests are the fault of the Republicans.

The violent protests are the interesting bit. Who do you think is protesting so violently? Hint: Not Republican party supporters. It's not like Republicans don't have reason to protest at the DNC. Why do you think this isn't happening there?
__________________

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-03, 14:14   Link #2058
solomon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Suburban DC
Kyuusai has a point about the protests.

whoever the protesters are, they better have their asses thrown in jail, it's behavior like that that makes it dangerous to see you favorite college teams win the playoffs

(maryland terps fans are hella dangerous)

anyways I don't think the RNC will do as well as the DNC in terms of ratings (Fox News always kills with the RNC however)

(off topic again, thanks cors8; Man the Triangle has everything doesn't it)
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-03, 14:40   Link #2059
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Kyuusai has a point about the protests.

whoever the protesters are, they better have their asses thrown in jail, it's behavior like that that makes it dangerous to see you favorite college teams win the playoffs

(maryland terps fans are hella dangerous)

anyways I don't think the RNC will do as well as the DNC in terms of ratings (Fox News always kills with the RNC however)

(off topic again, thanks cors8; Man the Triangle has everything doesn't it)
The Triangle lacks football. All 3 schools suck now.

As for ratings, I have no doubts McCain won't even come close to Obama's. On the other hand, I'm expecting Palin's ratings to be very good tonight.
cors8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-03, 14:42   Link #2060
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
The RNC is losing voters dramatically in two critical areas:
1) young people --- studies show once an age demographic votes a certain way in 3 election cycles they tend to be lost forever.
2) latino voters --- the Repubs *had* this group but the xenophobic arm of the party is driving them away and the Cuban voting bloc is also shearing away.

The Repubs never had the black vote and the asian vote has always been split.

Hence, the sea of "white bread" ....

The "Country First" slogan is a Stupid Meme with no meat designed to latch onto the emotional underbelly so you feel patriotic by voting Republican (note the everpresent Flag and the repeated falsehoods about Dems "voting against the troops" or "cut and run" --- both of which the Repubs aren't owning up that they're the ones who voted against VA improvements and that Bush is now having to do exactly what the Dems proposed because the Iraqi government insists loudly and publically that the US *completely* leave the country (those large countryside bases being built are included).

Lieberman's speech the other night was hilarious because the audience couldn't decide when to applaud or boo. They're mostly composed of the extreme right (fiscal and social); his speech was designed to appeal to moderate Dems and independents.

Other than the Repubs looking a bit hypocritical on Palin's baggage (suddenly its "all right" .... so where's the love for all the other unwed mothers, eh? ) I feel its below the belt for any group to use her family as fodder so many minus points to the blogosphere and the media for dragging that story more than a day.

I do wonder how someone with a working spouse and five kids (one with extra needs) is going to be very effective at being Vice Prez or Prez. Those are MUCH MORE than 40hr/wk jobs if you're doing the job properly.
__________________

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-09-03 at 14:55.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
debate, elections, news, politics, united_states

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.