AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 21 Rating
Perfect 10 26 18.71%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 35 25.18%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 17.99%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 12.23%
6 out of 10 : Average 12 8.63%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 5.04%
4 out of 10 : Poor 9 6.47%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.44%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 4.32%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-09-02, 12:51   Link #441
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Since the end of Ep 20 (which I have just watched today also), i have been wondering about: WTF is going on (I seriously repeated "WTF...WTF....WTF...." during the whole Ep). The emotion is completely offed my prediction, with constant recycling footages for battle screen and unclear shifting in time and space (e.g where did they get the VF25s from if not from the SMS quarter....). Everything was so chaotic that by the end of Ep, I have to check to see is this the final Ep yet and why they have to rush at this ridiculous rate.


About Ranka? Well, not much to say except if I am Alto and my friend called me out for an emergency situation(look how he ran) in the middle of the night, then ask me to teach her how to make paper plane..... i seriously will send her to hospital, in afraid that she had a mental breakdown, (caused by her brother disappearance, perhaps).

She is not 100% human, so she may have different kind of emotion and look at the situation in a different way. That's why I do not blame her for intending to bring Ai-kun home even when it's clearly ridiculous.

But overall, i will wait to see the ending before commenting further about this Ep.


PS: So Micheal's really dead , eh?
I do not like that guy much seriously, but never expect him dead. Is there any reason for him to be dead?
Or is it just so viewer won't have to puzzle at how him and KlanKlan will end up in the end?
His death is not even for emotional build up because 1/ there are so many things to worry about; 2/ viewers still think he is alive 3/ the way Ozma escape death make Michael's death become realistic but super lame (image a film about how a team of soldiers returned alive from an impossible situation: have to fight horde of armies using only fists and knives....etc..... then one of them stepped on a land mine within their safe zone )
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline  
Old 2008-09-02, 13:07   Link #442
golthin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post

PS: So Micheal's really dead , eh?
I do not like that guy much seriously, but never expect him dead. Is there any reason for him to be dead?
Micheal's dead has one main purpose! It is to validate Alto's hate toward the vajra and justify Ranka leaving him and going with brasra and Ai-kun!
golthin is offline  
Old 2008-09-02, 13:17   Link #443
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
Micheal's dead has one main purpose! It is to validate Alto's hate toward the vajra and justify Ranka leaving him and going with brasra and Ai-kun!
It's not like Alto will go with them even if Michael alive, seeing his school wiped out, the city in ruin, his pink-hair-girl work mate and many nameless SMS guards, pilots dead.

Vajra attacked during a festival? Must be decimals or hundreds thousands people dead, i suspect (even underground SMS got assaulted, yes?)

Michael dead just so we have 20 secs of Alto pointing gun into Ai-kun? Why don't they make Michael was knocked into unconscious (or seriously wouded) or lose a hand (or limb) then? Same effect.
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline  
Old 2008-09-02, 13:35   Link #444
stormy001_M1A2
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Death is more powerful reminder of horrors in genocidal war. Plus it is expected when you fighting a war, people do get killed when their number is up.

I don't like the death proof main characters whereas everyone around drop like flies. At least one of the main character in Frontier kick the bucket but it is not enough in my opinion. The pineapple salad gods demand more sacrifices.
__________________
stormy001_M1A2 is offline  
Old 2008-09-02, 13:52   Link #445
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
Death is more powerful reminder of horrors in genocidal war. Plus it is expected when you fighting a war, people do get killed when their number is up.

I don't like the death proof main characters whereas everyone around drop like flies. At least one of the main character in Frontier kick the bucket but it is not enough in my opinion. The pineapple salad gods demand more sacrifices.
I have a different opinion indeed, as whether main characters have death-proof vests or not do not matter for me. The important is if dead characters serve a certain purpose in the anime/movie well or not.

The three come right off my head atm is "Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal", "Saving Private Ryan" and a Korean movie named "Taegukgi: The Brotherhood of war". Each have powerful deaths that contribute majorly onto their are success(initially, main characters in those films escaped death luckily many times also) . That's why let some one die just so it's more "realistic" really bug the heck out of me
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline  
Old 2008-09-02, 14:52   Link #446
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Kill characters to relieve boredom seems to be the common train of thought. Revenge killings get old fast though, so it'd be best to avoid that kind of trap.
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-09-02, 16:31   Link #447
Mughi
Wordy b@stard
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mid-Tejas
I disagree with those looking for a reason "good enough" for Mikhail's death. War yield's random death. The more sensless and meaningless, the more realistic. The idea that a major character dies for no good reason and no gain really works to actually fortify the drama of a story IMO.
Mughi is offline  
Old 2008-09-02, 16:47   Link #448
MaiHikari
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mughi View Post
I disagree with those looking for a reason "good enough" for Mikhail's death. War yield's random death. The more sensless and meaningless, the more realistic. The idea that a major character dies for no good reason and no gain really works to actually fortify the drama of a story IMO.
Yeah. He got to die protecting the one he loves. What more of an epic death would be more suitable? I just wish more people would grieve over his death than just Klan, and that Alto would finally take his advice to be clear about the love triangle. So far, episode 21 has not done that justice.
MaiHikari is offline  
Old 2008-09-02, 16:55   Link #449
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: http://www.exciting-tits.com/
Thats why we have unnamed cannon fodder.. to fortify the drama.. To have a name character with back story, then just randomly kill them is a waste of valuable screen time.
__________________
“This be the realest shit I ever wrote.” ~Tupac
So very dead right now.. but still breathing thank you.
Top 4 Manga Waifu
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa


KiNA is offline  
Old 2008-09-02, 17:06   Link #450
Mughi
Wordy b@stard
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mid-Tejas
Cannon fodder and red shirt characters dying only dehumanizes the killing and desensitizes the audience. Killing a character we all care about for no reason other than having people grieve over him is the whole point of their seemingly random death. It's pathos.
Mughi is offline  
Old 2008-09-02, 17:52   Link #451
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mughi View Post
Cannon fodder and red shirt characters dying only dehumanizes the killing and desensitizes the audience. Killing a character we all care about for no reason other than having people grieve over him is the whole point of their seemingly random death. It's pathos.
It's a matter of portrayal. Freaks like Max aside, I'd say the pilot characters from the original Macross series, were more or less depicted as nothing special or a-typical, but through them we saw what might have been the real and everyday depiction of a group of pilots onboard the Macross. Not like in Frontier where there's alot of screaming, singing, and the SMS punching way, way, way above it's weight level.

In the former, dying is the cold hard truth of the job they're doing. In the latter, it's simple, meaningless drama for the sake of even more screaming.

Hikaru sees a VF blow up in front of him and you know he's thinking and you're thinking "That could have been me". Ozma sees VFs blow up in front of him and he thinks "Cowards...oh shoot! I left a Pineapple Pie in the oven!"
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-09-02, 18:53   Link #452
sekidousai
Ra-ou
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Inside the mysterious painting
I think the whole point of Michel's death is fuel our anger and hate towards the Vajra as depicted by Klan and Luca.... now that the story is on the Vajra hyperspeed of hate and anger we then slam into an Ai-kun wall!!! and now we are headed towards to the opposite direction. Kawamori is now having a play with our emotions.
sekidousai is offline  
Old 2008-09-02, 23:24   Link #453
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
No, you guys missed my point.

I do not try to prove that a death of one of main casts is necessary or not. What am I saying is if that death serve any purpose or not.

About "Micheal's death gonna fuel our anger and hate towards the Vajra", I (personally) failed to sense that. Because we all knew that there is a mastermind behind all these, and the Vajra do not have brain to process much thinking ( not sure about Ai-kun through) so there would be a possible case of final peace between two races (+Zentradi)
Micheal's death also happened when the triangle Alto-Ranka-Sheryl in climax, Sheryl gonna die to disease, Macross Frontier in cliff of total annihilation, Ozma and Kathy is in exile, MF government is in chao, SMS headquarter under attacks heavily, his love decision is still not clear (with "I don't have one but is still looking" speak but ended up as "I always loved you"), and his death also can be prevented with a little bit more careful. Then we have Ranka leave to vajra world later also. I ended up do not have spare emotion to grieve over him but just find the situation lame.

To me, a tragic death always have to be the end of something to gain full emotions. Michael died to hold off the Vajra from escape Island 3 for example, or just right after he decided he will make the move to KanKlan. Or if you want a sudden death(but emotional), make him drop his glasses while saving Klan, then got killed because of that.

Anyway, just few complaints, not gonna take it so serious ^_^
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline  
Old 2008-09-03, 01:01   Link #454
MaiHikari
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Age: 31
There is purpose to Mikhail's death. The whole speech Klan gave a few minutes prior was the key point. She told him and Alto that because one can die anytime, that one can love and that was when she found the courage to confess her love. She told Alto to remember it well. This point was driven home by Mikhail's death when he finally confessesed, but it was too late. It was meant to be a lesson to Alto to treasure love before it was too late. Unfortunately, Alto had not shown any revelation in ep 21 so this point was lost to many people.
MaiHikari is offline  
Old 2008-09-03, 01:17   Link #455
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: http://www.exciting-tits.com/
Ep 21 was dedicated for Ranka's goodbye... Everything in it points to Ranka development until the last punchline of hers.. Having Alto and Sheryl chitchat moment will definitely silhoutte everything Ranka did. Luca x Nanase little moment is nothing of important, that why we get a glimpse of them.. AxS, on the other hand, cannot afford just a glimpse.

The fact that Alto didnt even chase her (nor replying to her confession) also a -point to AxR ending if he really intend to follows Mikhail's advice

There's always flashback about the visit after the chaos.
__________________
“This be the realest shit I ever wrote.” ~Tupac
So very dead right now.. but still breathing thank you.
Top 4 Manga Waifu
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa


KiNA is offline  
Old 2008-09-03, 01:40   Link #456
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiHikari View Post
There is purpose to Mikhail's death. The whole speech Klan gave a few minutes prior was the key point. She told him and Alto that because one can die anytime, that one can love and that was when she found the courage to confess her love. She told Alto to remember it well. This point was driven home by Mikhail's death when he finally confessesed, but it was too late. It was meant to be a lesson to Alto to treasure love before it was too late. Unfortunately, Alto had not shown any revelation in ep 21 so this point was lost to many people.
Good catch there, it make more sense. I was kind of shocked (at his sudden death and the recycling footages) back then to realise such relevance.

My only question now is: is it really going to support Alto's decision in later Eps, or even the director missed that as well (and it was just a coincidence that only true fan can pick up)?
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline  
Old 2008-09-03, 01:49   Link #457
sekidousai
Ra-ou
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Inside the mysterious painting
Question will or will not be answered in the next few ep . So i'm very sure there will be a few glimpse of Michel for his fans. quite sad actually if would not affect Alto's way of thinking about his relationship....

edit: erased, irrelevant... yeah i think it is a linked chain combo for the Klan speech.
Michel gave a lecture to Alto about choosing between Ranka and Sheryl, and then goes on about saying that pilots can die anytime that's why he dates someone he cannot get too attached. And then naked Klan contradicts Michel and goes on saying "How can I fall in love when I'm so afraid of dying.(gg subs)" Or I think she meant was "even in the face of death we should not be afraid to love" or Death should not prevent us from loving.... and then there goes Michel out to the vacuum of space.

add: i've also noticed now that i've just rewatch ep19 that there are Vajra's peacefully watching the concert and they only became violent when Ranka saw SherylxAlto.

Last edited by sekidousai; 2008-09-03 at 02:53.
sekidousai is offline  
Old 2008-09-03, 02:12   Link #458
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiHikari View Post
There is purpose to Mikhail's death. The whole speech Klan gave a few minutes prior was the key point. She told him and Alto that because one can die anytime, that one can love and that was when she found the courage to confess her love. She told Alto to remember it well. This point was driven home by Mikhail's death when he finally confessesed, but it was too late. It was meant to be a lesson to Alto to treasure love before it was too late. Unfortunately, Alto had not shown any revelation in ep 21 so this point was lost to many people.
Well, Alto didn´t show a revelation because he wasn´t together with the girl he loves. ^^
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2008-09-03, 02:53   Link #459
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bryan/College Station, Texas USA
Age: 39
We need a normal teenage male character who is rooted in reality. Someone who if they were dating Sheryl would be thinking about nothing more than how to do into her pants the entire time. Now that's a real male teenager.
kilroy0097 is offline  
Old 2008-09-03, 02:54   Link #460
sekidousai
Ra-ou
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Inside the mysterious painting
You mean like the teenager in Tonagura and Urusei Yatsura
sekidousai is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.