AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-09-06, 14:46   Link #1981
Vivio Testarossa
I'm Back
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Land of Lincoln
Why when I'm viewing a webpage, sometimes the text of the page appears as "garbage" or a series of question marks.
__________________

Thank for help with signature Evil Rick.
Vivio Testarossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-06, 15:15   Link #1982
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivio Testarossa View Post
Why when I'm viewing a webpage, sometimes the text of the page appears as "garbage" or a series of question marks.
Most likely because you don't have the language installed on your OS. Or your browser isn't properly configured to display the language.
__________________

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-06, 15:23   Link #1983
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Say you didn't have support for japanese fonts, every time the browser would be requested to display those characters it would place a black square, empty up-right rectange or question marks. (depending on which browser your using)
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-06, 17:10   Link #1984
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Unnecessary
Age: 28
Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post

Q. Why do you need such a ability to begin with?
I wish for someone else to be able edit a few post of mine for updates. That's all.
__________________

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-06, 17:18   Link #1985
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
I'm going to presume you need this so badly it's inconvinient for him/her to simply contact you with changes.

Create a image representing your post. Host it somewhere where you two would have mutual access. (dummy photobucket account perhaps)
To update your "post" the other person would simply edit the image reflecting the new changes and replace the old image with the new image.

Your post would simply consist of the image.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-06, 18:01   Link #1986
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Unnecessary
Age: 28
Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
I'm going to presume you need this so badly it's inconvinient for him/her to simply contact you with changes.

Create a image representing your post. Host it somewhere where you two would have mutual access. (dummy photobucket account perhaps)
To update your "post" the other person would simply edit the image reflecting the new changes and replace the old image with the new image.

Your post would simply consist of the image.
That was yesterday's question. We found mutual way of getting our points across already ^^
__________________

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-06, 18:35   Link #1987
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivio Testarossa View Post
Why when I'm viewing a webpage, sometimes the text of the page appears as "garbage" or a series of question marks.
Web pages can use any of a number of "character sets." For sites using Western languages that's often ISO-8859-1 (which AnimeSuki uses). Over the past few years more and more sites have begun using UTF-8 (or "Unicode") which supports a much wider variety of languages. The web server, or sometimes the web page itself, is supposed to inform your browser about the correct character set, but sometimes that negotiation fails, and your browser falls back to its default character set.

If you're using Firefox, try View > Character Encoding and select a different character set. That might be sufficient to resolve the problem.

If not, then as others have said you're probably missing the fonts for the language displayed on the page. If you know what the language is, try searching Google to see how to install the fonts you need.
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-06, 19:57   Link #1988
amjzz
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
This may be an stupid question.....but which is the correct pronunciation of the word "moe"?.

("Moe" as in "that anime is so moe").
amjzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-06, 21:18   Link #1989
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mortuary : D
Moe is pronounced mo-eh
__________________
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-06, 22:34   Link #1990
amjzz
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
I have a question, what is "caramelldansen" and why people connect it with the anime popotan?.

I heard its a song or something, but as far as i know theres no song called "caramelldansen" on the anime popotan....
amjzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-06, 22:37   Link #1991
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
Caramel Dansen is a Swedish song. Its various remixes somehow became popular among anime watches, who draw/CG anime characters doing the dance. The title roughly translates into "candy dance".

Popotan is one of the first few anime whose characters were seen doing the dance.
__________________
Those from the lower levels cannot hope to surpass those from the upper.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-06, 22:45   Link #1992
amjzz
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Caramel Dansen is a Swedish song. Its various remixes somehow became popular among anime watches, who draw/CG anime characters doing the dance. The title roughly translates into "candy dance".

Popotan is one of the first few anime whose characters were seen doing the dance.
So, apart of the draws from the fans of popotan there is no direct relation between the anime (official drawings/story) and the song?.
amjzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-06, 22:46   Link #1993
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjzz View Post
So, apart of the draws from the fans of popotan there is no direct relation between the anime (official drawings/story) and the song?.
I don't think so.
__________________
Those from the lower levels cannot hope to surpass those from the upper.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 14:39   Link #1994
Vashar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
What are cheese poopers or pocke?

This probably isn't the best place to ask, but does anyone know what cheese poopers or pocke are?

I did a google and don't see anything really relevant describing what they are.

I got curious since I heard them mentioned here: http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl...t&aid=75#r1795
Vashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 16:39   Link #1995
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
I don't know about cheese poopers (never heard the name before), but the reason why you couldn't find anything about pocke is because it's probably Pocky.

Couldn't cheese poopers be referring to Cheetos or something like that?
__________________


Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 17:19   Link #1996
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The 502
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Someone must have some bowel issues if they're pooping cheese, but I think what he's trying to type out is "cheese poofers", or pretty much cheese poofs, or cheese-flavored cornmeal snacks...

Cheese Poofs!
__________________
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 10:10   Link #1997
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Age: 26
I just started to get into this internet ordering, I'm still quite a noob in this and decided to see how much shipping etc. costs however when I tried to order a DJ this is what I saw underneath

S&H(US$) from Japan to: ||| EMS ||| Yamato ||| Air ||| SAL ||| Sea
Europe ||| $17 ||| $21 ||| $6 ||| $5 ||| $5

I know what airmail is and the sea term but what do EMS and Yamato stand for?
maybe that can give some insight on their higher prices as well, also how long does it take for something to arrive with those options, a week?
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 10:29   Link #1998
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉)
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Akihabara, Tokyo, Japan
Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
I just started to get into this internet ordering, I'm still quite a noob in this and decided to see how much shipping etc. costs however when I tried to order a DJ this is what I saw underneath

S&H(US$) from Japan to: ||| EMS ||| Yamato ||| Air ||| SAL ||| Sea
Europe ||| $17 ||| $21 ||| $6 ||| $5 ||| $5

I know what airmail is and the sea term but what do EMS and Yamato stand for?
maybe that can give some insight on their higher prices as well, also how long does it take for something to arrive with those options, a week?
EMS is an international delivery service provided by Japan Post in corporation with the postal agency of your country. It is faster than normal Air delivery, and you can trace the package by ID.

Yamato is a famous private transporting corporation. In general, its service is said to be better than JP for some reasons; JP is liable only for domestic accidents (namely, if the packet is lost outside Japan, JP has no jurisdiction to research it in detail or to compensate fully); JP and other countries' postal staffs are not always trained to handle with delicate objects like otaku artifacts. If you need really careful service, you should rely on Yamato.
LiberLibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 11:00   Link #1999
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiberLibri View Post
EMS is an international delivery service provided by Japan Post in corporation with the postal agency of your country. It is faster than normal Air delivery, and you can trace the package by ID.

Yamato is a famous private transporting corporation. In general, its service is said to be better than JP for some reasons; JP is liable only for domestic accidents (namely, if the packet is lost outside Japan, JP has no jurisdiction to research it in detail or to compensate fully); JP and other countries' postal staffs are not always trained to handle with delicate objects like otaku artifacts. If you need really careful service, you should rely on Yamato.
okay and whats the chance on well your package getting lost sorta speak then?
I dont guess it happens often now does it?
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 11:12   Link #2000
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉)
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Akihabara, Tokyo, Japan
Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
okay and whats the chance on well your package getting lost sorta speak then?
I dont guess it happens often now does it?
No. Last year it was reported that 247 EMS packages addressed to Indonesia were lost in Jakarta because of the poor custody there, but such case is quite exceptional. Dutch TNT is so credible as well as JP that you could rely on them for usual communication.
LiberLibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
problem, q&a, questions, serious

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.