AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-06-07, 09:30   Link #21
mydecember
Rookie
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Borneo
I personally don't think the D in those character's name were all connected to each other (well except for Luffy and his family), and the D in their names really is a name (not destiny, or dangerous, or devil, etc, etc), I mean a name, like David, Dave, etc, etc (we can't be really sure right?). Just my opinion by the way.
__________________

No matter what, no matter where, it is always home, if love this there
mydecember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 17:16   Link #22
Mon Cheri
nope
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Monkey Damien Luffy anyone? xD
(Lame joke, don't get offended)

I think the "D" has something to do withthe world's history...
..Damn, Oda, what's with the freakin' "D"?!
Mon Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 11:06   Link #23
PerkoEyo
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malin View Post
Well, i've asked the same question as you not too long ago, and many people answerd with "maybe he's Luffys halfbrother" or "maybe they just grew up together".
Or maybe Ace took his mother's Surname(last name). Cuz we don't know who the mother is or what her name is.
PerkoEyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 20:59   Link #24
Wisshard
Ser Fisherman
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
In One Piece universe, it's seem to be common to call someone you grew up with family and brother, so it may simply be that Ace and Luffy grew up together, maybe they are cousins or so.


Another theory.

Younger presented to the left and older to the right.
Monkey D. Garp and Jaguar D. Saul are related in some sense. Oldest Generation
Monkey D. Dragon and Gol D. Roger are related in some sense. Middle
Monkey D. Luffy and Portgas D. Ace, which we know are related. Youngest

As can you see there is a pattern, that the youngest "brother" has the name Monkey and the oldest something else. Now I know that this is very farfetched , just wanted it out for opinions.
Wisshard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-10, 00:11   Link #25
The_Three_Kings
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canada
Im pretty sure Gold D. Roger is the in the Oldest Generation. He fought many times with Garp and he died before Saul. Not sure though........

Last edited by The_Three_Kings; 2008-08-10 at 19:48.
The_Three_Kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 08:05   Link #26
Paraden1989
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bridgeport, CT
i think it would be AWESOME if the last member of the Shichibukai turned out to have the name Monkey D... lol

i'm not sure if that will happen; i just hink it would be funny if it did because every member, except Blackbeard, has an animal name.
Paraden1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 22:49   Link #27
Julianlivre
Almighty
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Sweden
Send a message via MSN to Julianlivre Send a message via Skype™ to Julianlivre
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnc742 View Post
What if Gol D. Roger is Garp's brother. lol

so those who carry the D. it seems they

*have big appetite
*sleep a lot
*do not fear death
*are confident that they are strong
*are idiots
*laugh a lot

How about what D means for a topic.

Monkey D. Luffy

D = Dangerous.


HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH you just reminded me of Austin Powers >_<
__________________
boooooo
Julianlivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 16:50   Link #28
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: In a class of my own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkstar View Post
An odd thing about the one's who carry D. is were ever they turn up the seem to encourage or ignite change. sometimes seem as if they are drawn to fate.
Hmmm......I know!!!

P D.-Iddy!!!

That aside: I think probably this line of eople has something to do with the origination of Devil Fruit powers...
__________________
Rev. Niemöller, on Nazi Germany:

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
holypanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-17, 01:16   Link #29
ashesatdusk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: La La Land
Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
Talking

Have any of you ever noticed if you westernize the d.'s names that is put the family names last you get Luffy d. Monkey ? Some how I don't think this is unitentional.

Garp D. Monkey
Luffy D. Monkey
Dragon D. Monkey
Saul D. Jaguar
Teach D. Marshall
Roger D. Gol (roger the goal)


So on ace's name what the heck is a portgas?
__________________
Sig never posted, because the mods would remove it for exceeding the size limit.
ashesatdusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-17, 02:36   Link #30
Mon Cheri
nope
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashesatdusk View Post
Have any of you ever noticed if you westernize the d.'s names that is put the family names last you get Luffy d. Monkey ? Some how I don't think this is unitentional.

Garp D. Monkey
Luffy D. Monkey
Dragon D. Monkey
Saul D. Jaguar
Teach D. Marshall
Roger D. Gol (roger the goal)


So on ace's name what the heck is a portgas?
That makes sense! But a portgas....
It reminds me of a tiger for some reason... xD
Well, let's google!

Edit: I didn't find anything but a bunch of Ace images T.T
Mon Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-17, 13:28   Link #31
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: A land far, far away... or very, very close, depends on where you live
Quote:
That makes sense! But a portgas....
There is an actual pirate named Bartholomew Portugues, but it hasn't been confirmed whether or not Ace is named after him. Looking at it like this however, maybe that's all the proof you need?
BlackNhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 10:11   Link #32
Goldberg77
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Portgaz d ace is the son of roger and portgaz d rouge roger's lover, monkey d luffy is the son of monkey d dragon, grandson of monkey d garp ace is adopted by garp. The will of d is still mystery in the anime one piece many great men hav the d in their name whitebeard said that that is fate when one of the Ds dies away then another will pick it up and continue the will then one day that person will carry on their back all the weight in the past decades and challenges the world to a fight that day will come when that person finds One piece, just like roger's will ace's will will be carry on by someone in the fulture, sengoku and the government is afraid of the day when one person found one piece, when that day come the world will turn upside down ( marshall d teach aka blackbeard is NOT the one who is carrying the will of D)
(Fact all the people with will of D died or almost died with a smile)
Goldberg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 10:18   Link #33
Goldberg77
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Fate, I predicted (opinion) that in the fulture monkey d dragon will meet luffy when they are at raftel luffy will be fighting sengoku as the will D is carry on straw hat pirate will fine one piece maybe one piece represents the dreams of everyone on luffy's nakama sanji get to see All blue, Zoro will defeat mihawk, nami will get her dollars, chopper get to become the greatest doctor ever, robin gets to read the passege of Poneglyph, and luffy gets the adventure of his life.
Goldberg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 10:22   Link #34
Goldberg77
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Damn rayleigh y u no tell wut iz d will of D
Goldberg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 16:52   Link #35
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
lol @ necromancy
__________________
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-04, 01:42   Link #36
White Beard
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashesatdusk View Post
Have any of you ever noticed if you westernize the d.'s names that is put the family names last you get Luffy d. Monkey ? Some how I don't think this is unitentional.

Garp D. Monkey
Luffy D. Monkey
Dragon D. Monkey
Saul D. Jaguar
Teach D. Marshall
Roger D. Gol (roger the goal)


So on ace's name what the heck is a portgas?
In Japanese culture, they use their last name first, followed by first. So Monkey D. Luffy, is the Japanese way of saying Luffy D. Monkey. Which is why they call him Luffy, not Monkey. Second of all If you haven't been keeping up: Luffy's Bloodline is as follows:
Spoiler:


As for Theories of the "D". NOTE This is NOT a spoiler, It's a theory I just used a spoiler tag to keep my post a little neater.

Spoiler:
This is my theory, although I do have many other plausible theories. But after The White Beard Arc when WB is saying his finals words before his death.

In context I think he refers to Luffy, being the one to carry on Ace's will someday. (If you remember the episode then you know the camera is shown to find and follow Luffy when WB say's someone will carry the will someday. Carrying on...

WhiteBeard's Final Words (That back up the theory of One Piece being the Poneglyphs):
Spoiler:
White Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 15:31   Link #37
ri0
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Where everything is dangerous - I'm starting to like this place
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Beard View Post
As for Theories of the "D". NOTE This is NOT a spoiler, It's a theory I just used a spoiler tag to keep my post a little neater.

Spoiler:
This is my theory, although I do have many other plausible theories. But after The White Beard Arc when WB is saying his finals words before his death.

In context I think he refers to Luffy, being the one to carry on Ace's will someday. (If you remember the episode then you know the camera is shown to find and follow Luffy when WB say's someone will carry the will someday. Carrying on...

WhiteBeard's Final Words (That back up the theory of One Piece being the Poneglyphs):
Spoiler:
Very nice theory... I also think that One Piece and the remnants of the void century are connected. The Will of D fits perfectly in your theory and the holders of that initial being descendants of the Ancient Kingdom would surely be interesting.
ri0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 15:55   Link #38
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
While I like your theory and think that it may really be something like what you say in the end, you still should not use "camera angles" as an argument. The story is not done by the anime producers. If you use the manga panels of that chapter as an argument, then it is OK though.
__________________
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 22:43   Link #39
White Beard
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ri0 View Post
Very nice theory... I also think that One Piece and the remnants of the void century are connected. The Will of D fits perfectly in your theory and the holders of that initial being descendants of the Ancient Kingdom would surely be interesting.
Thanks man, after the events leading up to the Marineford Arc and all that came into light, it seemed as though it was a pretty logical assumption. We will all be surprised no matter what, even if this theory or anyone's theory is correct or not for that matter. I definitely look forward to it. (not One Piece ending though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
While I like your theory and think that it may really be something like what you say in the end, you still should not use "camera angles" as an argument. The story is not done by the anime producers. If you use the manga panels of that chapter as an argument, then it is OK though.
Point taken I didn't have the specific panels of the manga otherwise I would have, my friend had just been catching up on One Piece and that was one of the episodes I played for him at my house recently so I just remembered that scene. However it was a pretty important speech/scene as a whole and from what I remember very similar to the manga thus I figured it would be sufficient. Taking what you said into consideration I looked into it to find the manga panel which you can see below


Panel Source:
http://www.mangahit.com/one-piece/576/11

Theory Summary: The Straw Hats are going to fight (and destroy) the World Government.
White Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 23:53   Link #40
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Where magic is real
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Here's one more to throw in about the Void Century and D being connected:

Granted, I only remember this off the anime, and forget what the line in the manga was... but apparently, when Roger first met Rayleigh, he asked if Rayleigh wanted to "turn the world upside down"

Or is that an anime only line?
__________________
Gifted...or Cursed?

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.