AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fansub Groups

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-12, 23:26   Link #21
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Until someone can convince me with actual data that fansubs made from "broadcast tv" somehow affect DVD quality release sales, I don't see this going anywhere good since that is *exactly* the model of how the japanese consumers get their anime (watch it on tv, record it on DVR, buy the DVD sometimes).
I watch my fansubs - and then I choose which DVD series to buy (assuming they are even ever offered in R1) if I like it. If I like it, I ensure I buy it.

When I assist in fansubbing, that's exactly my thoughts on the subject.
Old 2008-09-13, 02:27   Link #22
Access

Only the companies don't make money when you watch a fansub. Japan broadcast TV, like anywhere else, is chock full of commercials, product endorsements, etc. Fansubs aren't. At best you have karaoke and flashy effects that link back to the group that made it as if to say 'look what we can do' but that's it as far as "advertising" or product endorsements go (self-promotion). I don't know how the percentage of money breaks down here, ie. how much the producers ultimately make from showing it on broadcast TV vs. from DVD sales.
Old 2008-09-13, 06:53   Link #23
Scab
Saizen
*Fansubber

The vast majority of animation studios/producers make nothing from the Japanese TV broadcast. They pay for the timeslot, hoping that the resulting publicity will translate into revenue from DVD sales and merchandising. This is pretty common knowledge nowadays; do some googling. The anime industry relies nigh-on entirely on the home video market and related goods like figurines and whatnot.
Old 2008-09-13, 07:44   Link #24
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Sorry but closing thread. I don't see how the recent posts have anything to do with the original topic at hand (a topic which is now out of date and further comment is rather pointless).
Closed Thread

Tags
article, interview, magazine article