AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 33 27.97%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 36 30.51%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 16.95%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 9.32%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 6.78%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.69%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.69%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 5.08%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-09-17, 14:32   Link #621
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
If Alto cared about Ranka, he'd be playing out that last meeting over and over again in his head, trying to understand it, while having at least some doubt or denial about Leon's claims. Thing is, he's pretty gung-ho about proving he's not some silly actor, and in order to do that, he's willing to kill Ranka.
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-09-17, 16:51   Link #622
Lostdreams
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Where did you get that idea? Alto said, kind of quietly, that he would stay with Sheryl -- like a nurse with a patient. Then he said, in Sheryl's hearing, that he became a pilot to protect Ranka. Sure, he's willing to kill a Ranka that is dangerous to the whole human race. But if she becomes herself again, all bets are off. I like the idea of not putting one's bet on anyone. In fact, I think "neither of the above" is at least as likely as either of them.

I'm also not convinced that Alto and Sheryl are living together, much less making love. All I know is that they are making a meal together, and that they have feelings for each other. But perhaps I missed something.

Disclaimer: Ranka is my favorite character in the show. Lol.

Whatever the ending is, it seems to me that it will involve Ranka making peace between humans and Vajra. If it ends up with Ranka discovering that the Vajra are indeed humanity's implacable enemies, it will be an interesting surprise.

Anyway, ep23 was wonderful.
he said he would stay with her forever. If he doesn't keep that promise he's a YYY.
Lostdreams is offline  
Old 2008-09-17, 17:02   Link #623
golthin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
If Alto cared about Ranka, he'd be playing out that last meeting over and over again in his head, trying to understand it, while having at least some doubt or denial about Leon's claims. Thing is, he's pretty gung-ho about proving he's not some silly actor, and in order to do that, he's willing to kill Ranka.
ok, that is completely whacked! he does keep thinking about Ranka! plus he is not willing to kill ranka to prove that he is not silly actor, he gave his reason pretty clearly in episode 23.
golthin is offline  
Old 2008-09-17, 17:09   Link #624
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
ok, that is completely whacked! he does keep thinking about Ranka! plus he is not willing to kill ranka to prove that he is not silly actor, he gave his reason pretty clearly in episode 23.
If you were Alto, what would you have made of your last meeting with Ranka?
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-09-17, 17:19   Link #625
golthin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
If you were Alto, what would you have made of your last meeting with Ranka?
That she loved me, but for some strange reason she decided to go with Brera and the Vajra somewhere. Still, he was planning to bring her back before the SMS people decided to leave MF!
But that is me! I would have also acted the same way he acted when I saw the Vajra behind Ranka, so really Ranka was asking too much of Alto or anybody, you need to be a memoryless Cyborg to agree with what Ranka wanted to do. I don't think even Ozma would have agreed with Ranka's wishes!
golthin is offline  
Old 2008-09-17, 17:26   Link #626
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Would you have thought she was The Doom of your entire race after that meeting? Or from previous encounters? Even if he doesn't care about her, he'd at least have some doubts about whether it's necessary. If he wasn't prepared to right her off as lost that one time she was kidnapped, why should now be any different?

No, Alto's thinking he has to prove he's not an actor, that he's not just acting, and he's doing what he wants to do. The best way to do that is to kill Ranka, to show how grown up and how big a badass he is. He'll even cry a bit after doing it just to show he's not a heartless monster.
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-09-17, 23:34   Link #627
Paul Hausser
Colonel General
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdreams View Post
he said he would stay with her forever. If he doesn't keep that promise he's a YYY.
Yes, and also, should he break his word, Fraulein Lee shouldn't even consider entering a relationship with him. With someone leading a dying woman on? Please.
Paul Hausser is offline  
Old 2008-09-18, 03:31   Link #628
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bryan/College Station, Texas USA
Age: 39
^^^
Ranka Lee considers? I thought she acted before thinking or considering anything. I mean that's kind of the reason she got into most of the situations she in. Well except for a few including leaving with Brera. That apparently she thought through. If Alto found her, saved her and told her he wanted to be with her she would probably forget most of the last year due to her idol worship of Alto. I'd surprised if she even remembered names after that point.
kilroy0097 is offline  
Old 2008-09-19, 00:13   Link #629
Nishi
Spiritual Machine
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
My two cents on this episode...

Sorry but I'm laughing hard at the ship wars, you guys are hilarious.

Relationships aside, though.

Well it's obvious with how easily Alto believed all of Leon's words that Alto wasn't made aware of Leon's schemes... nor do Klan, Luca, and any other SMS who stayed behind really. Still makes me wonder why Ozma didn't just make it clear to anyone except the group on the bridge.

Leon gives Alto this whole spiel about the Vajra using Ranka as a lure for them. If that's the case, wouldn't leading Frontier to the Vajra planet be fulfulling that?!

And, no complaints or riots on Frontier? I have a hard time believing that everyone is just totally cool with Leon leading their already crumbling fleet into the mother planet of the ones that attacked them. Come on, at least some people should think their president is insane.
Nishi is offline  
Old 2008-09-21, 23:18   Link #630
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Doing Anzu's paperwork.
Age: 28
ISA. Detention Without Trial. All Leon has to do is throw everyone who disagrees with him into jail.

Don't tell me it can't be done; Malaysia's been doing it for the past forty years.
__________________
~Speaking my mind, even when it costs me~
One must forgive one's enemies, but not before they are hanged.Heinrich Heine.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline  
Old 2008-09-22, 00:26   Link #631
mechabao
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishi View Post
My two cents on this episode...

Sorry but I'm laughing hard at the ship wars, you guys are hilarious.

Relationships aside, though.

Well it's obvious with how easily Alto believed all of Leon's words that Alto wasn't made aware of Leon's schemes... nor do Klan, Luca, and any other SMS who stayed behind really. Still makes me wonder why Ozma didn't just make it clear to anyone except the group on the bridge.

Leon gives Alto this whole spiel about the Vajra using Ranka as a lure for them. If that's the case, wouldn't leading Frontier to the Vajra planet be fulfulling that?!

And, no complaints or riots on Frontier? I have a hard time believing that everyone is just totally cool with Leon leading their already crumbling fleet into the mother planet of the ones that attacked them. Come on, at least some people should think their president is insane.
The Frontier fleet has taken too much damage and will no longer be able to sustain its population for much longer. The only real chance of survival that they have is to land on the nearest Earth-like planet, which happens to be the Vajra homeworld.
mechabao is offline  
Old 2008-10-01, 01:37   Link #632
Psycho_Gumpla
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Hiya, nice to meet u all

and this is my first post.


All I can say about this episode is 10000% PURE MADNESS ON THE LOOSE

Definitely that Leon guy is a MAD MAD MAN

The Frontier Fleet weapons couldn't barely hurt the Vajra, and all of a sudden : WE MUST WAGE SACRED WAR TO ELIMINATE THE VAJRA

WTF ???
Psycho_Gumpla is offline  
Old 2008-10-01, 16:51   Link #633
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho_Gumpla View Post
The Frontier Fleet weapons couldn't barely hurt the Vajra, and all of a sudden : WE MUST WAGE SACRED WAR TO ELIMINATE THE VAJRA

WTF ???
Power of Sheryl's fold wave disturbance, which can disable Vajra and render them capable of responding to attacks temporarily.

Unfortunately, Ranka showed up.

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Greece, Italy, Portugal, Bulgaria, Spain and Germany walk into a bar. Germany pays.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Old 2009-09-28, 19:57   Link #634
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 29
Nice, the plot stopped from degenerating any folder and its steadily gaining form for the grand finale. The ancient evil conspirancy is finally starting to show form and face (in the form of a group of scientist that have some very personal ideas about the direction and evolution makind must take I guess), the final setting has been set in a nice twist, and all the players are gathering. For once I saw Alto in a positive light, as well as the Ranka and Sheryl sides of the plot.

On the unfortunate side I see the SMS has devolved into something akin to the cavalry that will only arrive to save the day, and have no further plot complications after that. In any case, if they don't screw it up this should end up nicely.

I don't care much for the convoluted romance triangle but Sheryl seems to be on the losing end of the stick for now. Aw well, although I still prefer Ranka Alto has only gone from absolutely detestable to somewhat tolerable so it''s not like I mind it either way.
Proto is offline  
Old 2009-09-28, 20:36   Link #635
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
On the unfortunate side I see the SMS has devolved into something akin to the cavalry that will only arrive to save the day, and have no further plot complications after that. In any case, if they don't screw it up this should end up nicely.
So just out of curiosity, I would like to hear your opinion on this. What do you think could have been a nice way of developing the SMS crew, in what other way could have they been used?
__________________

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline  
Old 2009-09-28, 20:43   Link #636
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 29
First of all, if they were going to go rogue they should have done it earlier, so that they could have established a proper plot side thread whether its with my idea or another one that the producers would have been able to think about.

Next, here we have two big opposing forces, with Sheryl trying to attain big change and Leon, at least so far, has been seen as a well intentioned extremist hungry with power who wants to attain a homeland. Ranka is a small force in the midst of ll that is trying to make a bridge that connect the two races, so a viable plot possibility would have been for the SMS to endeavor in a journey to find a way to make Ranka's side a little more balanced with the other two big opposing forces, or to establish an alternate possibility by finding another possible homeland, along with a way to co exist with the Vajra. We already got enough people trying to destroy them and depicting them as the ultimate evil
Proto is offline  
Old 2009-09-28, 20:52   Link #637
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Awesome take! Agree wholeheartedly. A biggest flaw a lot of these mecha genre shares unfortunately. Won't comment any further until you've finished.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline  
Old 2009-09-28, 20:56   Link #638
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
First of all, if they were going to go rogue they should have done it earlier, so that they could have established a proper plot side thread whether its with my idea or another one that the producers would have been able to think about.

Next, here we have two big opposing forces, with Sheryl trying to attain big change and Leon, at least so far, has been seen as a well intentioned extremist hungry with power who wants to attain a homeland. Ranka is a small force in the midst of ll that is trying to make a bridge that connect the two races, so a viable plot possibility would have been for the SMS to endeavor in a journey to find a way to make Ranka's side a little more balanced with the other two big opposing forces, or to establish an alternate possibility by finding another possible homeland, along with a way to co exist with the Vajra. We already got enough people trying to destroy them and depicting them as the ultimate evil
Interesting enough, it does sound plausible. Before we discuss this any further just watch that final episode
__________________

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline  
Old 2009-09-28, 21:41   Link #639
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 29
Did so, my thoughts are in the ep 25 thread. Thanks to everyone who has followed my little review snippets and replied to them, it makes watching a series a much more interesting experience. Special mention goes to monir and his efforts to protect me from any possible spoilers Even from BetoBR and his repeated sly attempts to ruing the whole series for me!
Proto is offline  
Old 2009-09-29, 02:28   Link #640
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 37
So I didn't succeed? Darn... there's always next time, tho.
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.