AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2008-09-18, 16:31   Link #21
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
A friend of mine claims that the current joke in the gaming community is that the reason it's called Infinite Undiscovery is that it appears to deliberately undiscover or undo every innovation that made Japanese RPG's still interesting in the past 5 or so years.

Well regardless, I kind of lost faith in Tri-Ace after Star Ocean 3. It felt like little more then a grindfest to me and had things that broke the game like Boots of Prowess, Orichalcum refining and Maria. Not to mention the combat paling in comparsion to any Tales of game that had been released in the same generation. Hated Fayt's painfully slow sword swinging arc that made it a challenge to hit anything smaller then a mid sized creature or machine. I'm hearing similar reports of game breaking mechanics in IU and that the story is just plain uninteresting. Though that probably won't do much to stall it's sales in Japan. In fact, going by Japanese gamers aversion to change and innovation in RPG franchises it would probably enhance it.

You know what console RPG's really need. To do away with the swords and sorcery thing at least once a year or at the very least give us a game that either takes place in a modern setting or something non-medieval. Persona 3 which I'm playing right now is one of the most interesting RPG's I've played in ages for the reason that the majority of it takes place in a modern city. Even if you still primarily use swords and magic.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 18:39   Link #22
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
You know what console RPG's really need. To do away with the swords and sorcery thing at least once a year or at the very least give us a game that either takes place in a modern setting or something non-medieval. Persona 3 which I'm playing right now is one of the most interesting RPG's I've played in ages for the reason that the majority of it takes place in a modern city. Even if you still primarily use swords and magic.
I wish someone would make a true western type RPG. And when I say "western" I mean cowboys, the frontier and all that. No, Wild Arms doesn't really fit that description. The swords and sorcery bit in those games is still very prevalent.

Or perhaps, a true wu xia RPG. Jade Empire supposedly tried to go this route, but it ended up looking like a story set in a world that resembled Mortal Kombat. Not really the authentic wu xia experience I was looking for.

We have a lot of futuristic and and some modern settings already. What I think we need to see more are alternatives within past, or ancient settings.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 08:34   Link #23
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Wu Xia rpgs, just search the shelves of Hong Kong and Taiwan, they are everywhere lol
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 08:49   Link #24
problemedchild
_

I really wish this game had dual audio though, the english dub makes me weep. Not only that, but the lip synching........ arg, talk about a whole paragraph spoken with just one lip movement.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 09:14   Link #25
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Wu Xia rpgs, just search the shelves of Hong Kong and Taiwan, they are everywhere lol
Yeah, I know that. But I can't read Chinese, and I'm not even sure if they're good in the first place.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 10:14   Link #26
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

OT, but I know one chinese RPG famous enough to have it's own Live Action series that not only goes into it's first story, but have another season dedicated to its prequel as well. So yeah, it must be that good to have it released into mainstream culture of China.

Title: 仙剑奇侠传 / 仙劍奇俠傳 / Xian Jian Qi Xia Zhuan
Also known as: Chinese Paladin / The Magic Sword & the Chivalrous Youth / The Sword and the Fairy
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Chinese_Paladin

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 11:53   Link #27
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

幻想三国志 comes to mind when talking about Wu Xia RPG's, 2 was pretty decent. Not sure about 3 and 4 though.