AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-21, 18:08   Link #61
hell88
Banned

Location: Canada, but sometimes in La La-Land hanging out with Midori-chan89
I think I'll wait for a box set to come out. I wonder if they will find someone that will give Flora that soft voice of her's, because if they don't I'll be very angry. XD
Old 2008-03-21, 20:11   Link #62
Squawks
PSI you from behind

Teaser.

Music is misplaced, the epic tune would've been better. Also, that yell she makes during the slash isn't that bad either.
Old 2008-03-21, 20:43   Link #63
Bikerider
Senior Rider of Bikes

I like that teaser sound effects
Old 2008-03-21, 22:32   Link #64
Mikke
Sleepy Male Claymore

I just hope they won't cast vic mignogna for anything.. he's working for funimation and doing every new series that comes out.. and his voice, sux
Old 2008-03-22, 19:39   Link #65
Rowan

Vic Mignogna as Raki... heh, wouldn't that be fun. For those that hate Raki but like Vic (he's got his fangirls), that'd be hard to swallow. For those that hate Raki and Vic, well, that's just a bigger bullseye to hit.

R.
Old 2008-08-23, 12:43   Link #66
dutchman
Follower of Claymorerism

Woot. It appears that the first DVD set will be released on 14-10-2008.

I have already placed an pre-order at my favourite online store.

Here is the box shot which probably is going to be used.

I can hardly wait :-)

Last edited by dutchman; 2008-08-24 at 03:10.
Old 2008-09-20, 00:29   Link #67
Sheky

Anyone got info what the "starter set" comes with?

Just the DVD and a box?
Old 2008-09-20, 02:38   Link #68
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Given the price, I would say that it is just the standard DVD along with a box to hold the complete series. This sort of "starter set" is standard for Funimation, you normally only get extras if it is a "Limited Edition" release.

First DVD release is due 14th October
Claymore, Vol. 1 $17.25
Claymore: Starter Set $22.79
Old 2008-09-23, 00:55   Link #69
Captain Yoruichi
Yoruichi Biased! ^_^

Send a message via AIM to Captain Yoruichi
Whoa! October?? Yes, that is sooooooo super awesome!!!

When I was at the Funi booth at San Diego Comic Con, I asked someone when Claymore was coming out, and they said they didn't think it would come out until sometime in 2009. So an October release is very exciting! Having an anime version will make it easier to convert my friends into Claymore fans (I haven't been able to get them to read the manga, those slackers!)
Old 2008-10-01, 02:57   Link #70
Sheky

Just found out today that Samurai 7 is coming out on Bluray. Any chance that this show might also?
Old 2008-10-02, 15:31   Link #71
Elandyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheky View Post
Just found out today that Samurai 7 is coming out on Bluray. Any chance that this show might also?
Now we're talking.

Not interested in DVDs too much anymore, Animation on Blu Ray HD is just .. wow.

Already planning on getting the Macross Frontier ones when funds permit (imports).
If Funimation was to release Claymore on BR, I'd work extra hours to get it
Old 2008-10-04, 02:08   Link #72
Captain Yoruichi
Yoruichi Biased! ^_^

Ok so I finally have some information on the English dub VAs, courtesy of Wikipedia.

Clare: Stephanie Young
Raki: Todd Kaberkorn
Teresa: Christine Auten

To be honest, I've never heard the VAs for Clare and Raki, so I hope they do a good job. Especially Clare's VA, given that she's the main character.

Christine Auten, however, I've heard, and I am a fan. She did a great job as Limelda Jorg in the Madlax English dub. I'm pretty confident she'll do Teresa justice. Hopefully. *waits for rabid Teresa fans to kill me*

No listed VAs for any of the other characters yet, however.
Old 2008-10-05, 02:18   Link #73
Wiggle wyrm

I remember Stephanie Young’s VAs from Basilisk and Moon Phase. As I recall, she was OK in Basilisk, but it’s hard to recall much (she was just one out of 20 characters). As far as Moon Phase goes though, she did some pretty phenomenal VA work.
Old 2008-10-07, 00:23   Link #74
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Well, I got my copy of the first volume w/box a couple days ago, but have been bad and haven't watched it yet. The box is nice sturdy chipboard, and it includes a little booklet that reviews most of the major Claymores (just leaving out Helen and Deneve), plus has a couple interviews, one with the director and animation director, one with the sound directory and the seiyuus for Clare and Raki.

The character descrips are rife with spoilers (eg: Priscilla awakening), which is unfortunate for first-time viewers. The interviews are very interesting, though.

And as a side note, I'm trying to decide what to do with the box insert (the little cardboard thingy that fills the empty space). It has a couple of very pretty images of Clare and Teresa (one on each side), but is hardly a display item...

I'm gonna watch it tonight or tomorrow to see how the dub sounds. Will report back on that.

Last edited by Kinematics; 2008-10-07 at 04:18.
Old 2008-10-07, 00:50   Link #75
Captain Yoruichi
Yoruichi Biased! ^_^

You got yours already? Where did you get it from?
Old 2008-10-07, 01:00   Link #76
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Ordered it from rightstuf.com. They shipped it Oct 1. Looks like you can't get the preorder price for it anymore, though.
Old 2008-10-07, 04:18   Link #77
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Ok, just finished watching the first disc.

Visually, as beautiful as I remember, and incredibly clear. The wonderful detailing and lush backgrounds and colors were always one of my favorite things about the show. The sound actually wasn't as bad as I remember; it probably only got repetitive towards the middle. At the beginning it works quite well.

Trivia: Apparently the plural of "yoma" is "yomi". Or at least that's the label for the extras section where they have a handful of the voice auditions. Nothing particularly amazing, but a cute bit in Rubel's clip.

Script: There were several places where a bit of rewriting was done that seemed inappropriate. The most blatant that I remember was Clare telling Raki about Claymores not aging during their little talk in the desert where she originally was just describing a bit about when she became a Claymore (and dodging the question).

Another is when, at the end of the first episode, Clare asks Raki if his village threw him out. In the Japanese he says "No." In English he says "Of course.", and the dialog of the flashback is more blatant about pushing the fact that the village did indeed throw him out. In this case, despite it shifting Raki's attitude slightly, it was nice not to have to figure out whether he actually meant what he said. That particular scene really bugged me in the manga, and somewhat in the anime, because I was never quite sure whether he was just being stubborn about denying the events, or he really did mean what he said and that he actually ran off on his own.

For people who have studied the source religiously and have as many debates about things as we do on this forum, the rewrites stand out as big greasy thumbprints. For someone not as familiar, it will be barely noticeable. The question is about how much it changes the characters. For the most part, almost none. The one I'm least certain on at the moment is Teresa.

For the dub voices:

Clare - Very good. While there are a number of moments where her voice seems to 'stumble' a bit against the character, for the most part she held Clare's emotional wall quite well. The bits that grabbed my attention the most (in a bad way) were also the bits where it felt like they were trying to rewrite the story flow a bit. When she can just have the character to herself and run with it as in the original story, she does great.

Raki - I'm sure you'll be happy to know that he's as annoying as ever. Actually, given the character, the voice seems to fit quite well, and I have no problems with the dub of it (abstracted away from the character itself). One nice thing is that they did some good rewrites of his speech so that he wasn't always mindlessly repeating whatever someone just said ("half human, half yoma"... "brains....") As opposed to Clare, I think his voice came out better due to the rewrites.

Zaki and the Impersonator Yoma - Both had good voices, and they did some interesting things with the vocal mixes for the monster effects. The impersonator was done as a female; every time I listen to the Japanese I can't quite decide whether it sounds like a deep female voice or a moderate male voice.

From the commentary, apparently they tried to put together a number of unique variations on how the voices were done throughout the show to give the various yoma and awakened beings their own distinctive flavor, as opposed to just generic pitch shifts. I'll be interested in hearing what they did with Priscilla, who should be on the next disc.

Elena - Not much to say. A competent performance.

Rubel - Absolute dead on. A creepy, vaguely wheezy, edging towards Emperor (Star Wars) voice without sounding old and frail. Cute bit from the voice audition for his voice where he said, "The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am."

Galk & Cid - Solid. While I wouldn't go quite so far as to say perfect, they both did a very good job, and I have no complaints.

Father Vincent - Quite good. Honestly, a lot less to go by than I remembered, but he still sounded good.

Teresa - The biggie. This is the one I'm having the hardest time on. The rewrites for her made her far more serious. Rather than the whimsical wondering if she'd be able to find the 7th yoma in the town, it's more of an "Oh. There you are." Her treatment of Clare seems more antagonistic than merely annoyed.

There's a general deep tone to her voice that makes it so that I just can't hear the "Faint Smile" appelation come through. There's less of the feel of "I'm so good I can play games just to amuse myself", and more of the dead-serious vibe of the Terminator saying "Come with me if you want to live."

Despite the complaints, it's not actually a bad job, just a somewhat different take on the character. The voice acting itself is excellent, and really stands out in the brief moments in this episode where her mood lightens slightly.

Orsay - Teresa's handler. Not as dead-on as Rubel, but decent enough.

Miscellaneous dudes - General riff-raff, so nothing special, but notably none that scream "amateur!" One thing that grates on me to no end is having a wonderful dub interspersed by awful instances of "Villager C".

Extras, Commentary track: generally boring patting-each-other-on-the-back stuff. A couple interesting points, but not particularly worth the time.

Last edited by Kinematics; 2008-10-07 at 04:56.
Old 2008-10-07, 04:39   Link #78
Droplet
ヘ( ̄▽ ̄ヘ)(ノ ̄▽ ̄)ノ

Sounds interesting. But no surprise about your disappointment with Teresa's VA. Romi Paku's Teresa is hard to top.
Old 2008-10-07, 12:43   Link #79
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

To be fair, I'm not comparing the two actresses in the review above. In terms of actual acting performance I'd say Christine Auten (VA for Teresa) does an excellent job, and is likely on par with Romi Paku. The problem is the choice of the performance given doesn't quite match the character I believe she should be presenting, and that's more of a directing issue.
Old 2008-10-07, 12:55   Link #80
Captain Yoruichi
Yoruichi Biased! ^_^

Does it have the option to listen in Japanese with English subs?
Closed Thread