AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-26, 05:08   Link #1
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Something Mature-ish/Elfen Lied-ish

What do I mean when I say "Mature-ish/Elfen Lied-ish"? I mean an anime that isn't afraid to hold things back. If someone gets shot I want there to be blood. If someone gets beheaded I don't want their head to just slide off, fall to the ground, etc, I want there to be a big blood spurt or something. If someone is running around nude I want to see it rather then just a shadow or something. If a character is being an idiot I want him to get the living daylights beat out of him rather then people putting up with it or ignoring it.

That doesn't mean the anime has to have a lot of violence or nudity or anything, but it does need to be a bit more on the mature side and push some boundries.

We will always exist before our Mistress of the Night Sky, Hayate
Old 2008-09-26, 05:24   Link #2
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

lol you have a funny idea of what 'mature' is. I have to recommend Black Lagoon or Boogiepop Phantom.
Old 2008-09-26, 06:26   Link #3
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Not trying to start a big discussion, but for this request my "idea" is just one sort of mature and not meant to be taken as "thats what mature is!" Some of what I said is certainly on the more stupid/IMmature side, but it's not stuff you're going to see in the more "watered down" series meant maybe for people more along the lines of early-mid teens. I'm just tired of watching a lot of "watered down" things where they seem to be pushing boundries or something and then just pull back. Or you see an injury you know should be series and they are running the 1k the very next day.

H2O Footprints in the Sand is a decent (and fresh in my mind) indication of what I'm saying... All through the first part of the series I wanted oh so much for a couple chars to just slap each other for what they had done to each other... and by all indications it's going to come to that... Then the big moment arrives and they HUG!? Or the way the main char just kind of goes all nutso in the final few episodes and no one tries to slap him out of it until the very last ep... I can see why everything happened the way it happened, but it still could have been handled differently.

It's been awhile since I watched School Days, but at least the ending there is the exact opposite of the above (in a sense and iirc). I mean sure, they all went totally NUTSO but at least there weren't any punches held (well at least at the end). They all were idiots and got what was due.

Hope that clears things up some and maybe gives others a better idea of what I'm talking about/asking

Old 2008-09-26, 06:49   Link #4
Rab
UG'er

Send a message via MSN to Rab
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynor View Post
What do I mean when I say "Mature-ish/Elfen Lied-ish"? I mean an anime that isn't afraid to hold things back. If someone gets shot I want there to be blood. If someone gets beheaded I don't want their head to just slide off, fall to the ground, etc, I want there to be a big blood spurt or something. If someone is running around nude I want to see it rather then just a shadow or something. If a character is being an idiot I want him to get the living daylights beat out of him rather then people putting up with it or ignoring it.

That doesn't mean the anime has to have a lot of violence or nudity or anything, but it does need to be a bit more on the mature side and push some boundries.
Elfen Lied is no doubt one of the best anime out now. If I could even think of a anime to match your "idea" or even come close to it, I'd recommend Soten no Ken [Fist of the Blue Sky in English.]

And I'll add the Wiki page of Soten No Ken which holds most the info about the anime and manga.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fist_of...External_links
Old 2008-09-26, 07:38   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Well, if you are looking for an anime where they don't hold back on nudity and gore, I 'd suggest Mnemosyne. I found the early episodes fairly interesting but thought it flagged in the latter half (only six episodes overall).

My definition of "mature" shows includes things like Bartender.
Old 2008-09-26, 12:00   Link #6
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I also second Mnemosyne and suggest Claymore,
Old 2008-09-26, 15:25   Link #7
Agent Orange
Detached

If you haven't already seen it, then I would definitely recommend Gantz

Very similar to what you described in that it doesn't hold back when it comes to graphic violence, nudity, etc.
Old 2008-09-26, 17:18   Link #8
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Or you see an injury you know should be series and they are running the 1k the very next day.
Then how come you love Elfen Lied which, IIRC, featured a man who survived the amputation of all of his limbs?

Anyway, I third Mnemosyne (the plot is rather silly but then again I think Elfen Lied's plot is dumb too, so who knows you mgiht find it great). Also Baccano! is relatively mature according to your description and actually has a pretty great plot and characters. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni could be right up your alley too, plenty of blood and gore and it's kind of hard to beat it in the category of main characters dying and small mistakes punished in a horrible fashion.

Old 2008-09-27, 03:56   Link #9
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
Then how come you love Elfen Lied which, IIRC, featured a man who survived the amputation of all of his limbs?
Actually, quite a few chars survived major injuries... however read what I said again

Quote:
Or you see an injury you know should be series and they are running the 1k the very next day.
none of the characters who survived the major injuries were exactly in great shape the next day (iirc) They recovered yes, but it wasn't downplayed and you could TELL they were seriously hurt the next day, which was what I was going for there... not so much that they COULDN'T recover, just that they didn't downplay the injury.

Anyways, back more on topic... Thanks for all the recommendations, I'm sure I can find a couple series from there to watch.

Last edited by Cynor; 2008-09-27 at 05:25.
Old 2008-09-27, 20:17   Link #10
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

I personally dont think what your describing is mature but the total opposite... usually ppl dont go beating the crap out of others because they feel like or try to kill someone with the highest amount of pain and blood in their mind. What you are looking for is usually seen in extreme situations were unstable / crazy ppl are involved....

Now as for my suggestions... Higurashi seems to be similar to what you are looking for. Things are taken to extremes, a extremely violent and illogical action prokes a even more violent reaction ending with pools of blood and dismembered corpses hidden in a fridge...

Another anime that comes to my mind is Tokyo Majin. Innocent by standers actually gets killed and you see it in detail.... although the rest if pretty similar to the normal action fantasy anime, you will find many bloody scenes with ppl being cut to pieces or even worse things.

You also mentioned girls running naked.... Girls Bravo has some of that but that is all i can say about it. Personally i dont find it mature or anything similar.
Closed Thread