AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Old 2008-10-02, 21:49   Link #1481
BetoJR
... suki ...
*Artist

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars18th View Post
I hope you actually know what the word nymph means and you are not mixing it up with nympho.
And I hope you know that a nymph is not the same thing as a fairy. Don't mix and match your allegorical make-believe creatures, please. Or, maybe, in your own little world, they may be the same thing. Oh, ignorance is bliss...

No matter, it was still a translation snafu. Even if you're too obviously trolling for effect. And we ARE straying from the topic - this is the Q&A thread, not the bickering about inane stuff thread.

So, buh-bye.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 22:14   Link #1482
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Quote:
Lol! If you knew how much I don't really care about this forum or your opinion, for that matter, you probably wouldnt mention that you actually researched my forum history and read all my posts. I surely didnt read yours nor do I plan to.
I'll remember that when you refute my post. And here I was, trying to think of you civilly.

---

ANYWAYS!

GG is good = but may miss or add lines here and there.
Lunar is par = but tends to butcher translations like no other.
AonE is great = but slow and karaoke is hardcoded
Shinsen Subs... haven't seen theirs but have heard its better than Lunars, nearing AonE's.

THORA is best = no complaints except we need to wait for BD releases.

I would recommend GG for original release and AonE for those who want better translations.

--> But make sure to get THORA's version when they release and scrap your other copies. <--

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...

Last edited by TwilightHack; 2008-10-02 at 22:36.
TwilightHack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 22:27   Link #1483
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Lol! If you knew how much I don't really care about this forum or your opinion, for that matter,
You obviously care about it enough to post and reply

But never mind. Lets try to keep it less personal, we have had enough of the for the last 25 episodes.

While I don't watch many subs, it seems to me that GG is like speed sub. They churn out a sub very fast, although the meaning can sometimes be lost in the translation. Lunar does it a couple days late, but it does slightly a better job. Regardless, both subs have its flaws when trying to translate quotes involving cultural significance to its audiences. Unfortunately, subs are what most people have to rely on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post
ANYWAYS!

GG is good = but may miss or add lines here and there.
Lunar is par = but tends to butcher translations like no other.
AonE is great = but slow and karaoke is hardcoded
Shinsen Subs... haven't seen theirs but have heard its better than Lunars, nearing AonE's.

THORA is best = no complaints except we need to wait for BD releases.

I recommend GG for original release, AonE for better translations, and THORA when they release.
Or don't watch one with subs at all, they offer the best clarity

- Tak

World of Tanks/Planes: Tankers, Pilots, Sailors! JOIN US!!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 00:18   Link #1484
lars18th

Mr Load Reactive Cartridge, you caught me on that one

Not directing this at anyone but since I was hinted as being ignorant regarding the terms "yousei", "nymph" and "fairy", why not find out the true literary meaning of all 3 terms?

((From Wikipedia)
Yōsei (妖精, Yōsei? bewitching spirit) is a Japanese word that is generally synonymous with the English term fairy (フェアリー, fairy?). Today this word usually refers to spirits from Western legends, but occasionally it may also denote a creature from native Japanese folklore. For example, according to an old folk belief from Iwate Prefecture, it was once feared that that the yōsei could bring the dead back to life.

Nymph: In Greek mythology, a nymph is any member of a large class of mythological entities in human female form. They were typically associated with a particular location or landform. Others were part of the retinue of a god, such as Dionysus, Hermes, or Pan, or a goddess, generally Artemis.[1] Nymphs were the frequent target of satyrs.
Nymphs live in mountains and groves, by springs and rivers, and in valleys and cool grottoes. They are frequently associated with the superior divinities: the huntress Artemis; the prophetic Apollo; the reveller and god of wine, Dionysus; and rustic gods such as Pan and Hermes.

Fairy: A fairy (also fay, fey, fae, faerie; collectively, wee folk, good folk, people of peace, fair folk, and other euphemisms) is a type of mythological being or legendary creature, a form of spirit, often described as metaphysical, supernatural or preternatural.
Fairies resemble various beings of other mythologies, though even folklore that uses the term "fairy" offers many definitions. Sometimes the term describes any magical creature, including goblins or gnomes: at other times, the term only describes a specific type of more ethereal creature.
lars18th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 00:21   Link #1485
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

All I have to say is that Fairy is explicitly stated in the description as the English term in the Yousei description.

Last edited by TwilightHack; 2008-10-03 at 00:32.
Old 2008-10-03, 00:25   Link #1486
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Lets keep it simple, Japanese fandom refers to Sheryl as the Galactic Fairy in English occasionally, and not as the Galactic Nymph. Yousei is closer to the meaning of Fairy than Nymph, although it can extend to both.

For example: in Sentou Yousei Yukikaze, the Yousei describes the organization, which is Fairy Air Force (FAF).

- Tak

World of Tanks/Planes: Tankers, Pilots, Sailors! JOIN US!!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 00:42   Link #1487
lars18th

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post
All I have to say is that Fairy is explicitly stated in the description as the English term in the Yousei description.
And the appearance of a goblin or a gnome is also explicitly stated in the description of the English term Fairy.

I think we are tied up TwilightHack
Old 2008-10-03, 01:12   Link #1488
magnuskn

Quote:
Lol! If you knew how much I don't really care about this forum or your opinion, for that matter, you probably wouldnt mention that you actually researched my forum history and read all my posts. I surely didnt read yours nor do I plan to.
Also,, when you mention *everybody* rebuffed me, are you talking about 3 people? Or is it 4?
Wow! I am glad those 3 or 4 people (which may now be known as *EVERYBODY*) put me right back in my place... after all, how could I dare express my opinion so blatantly in this forum since I only joined *one day ago*
I read every post in this sub-forum, because I have been here for some time and plan to stay for hopefully a good more time. So, ZOMG, I noticed that you were here one day. Actually thought two days, clicked on your profile, corrected to one day. What great research.

Yeah, "everybody" was a bit too much, but letīs replace it with "a good number of people, whose opinion I respect and share". Itīs more detailed, anyways.

And, yeah, how could you express your opinion so blatantly? Geeze, itīs as if youīd said controversial things like that Lunar seems to get some basic stuff completely wrong. Like "Remation Eater". Or "Reflex Missiles". I better make a senseless post that your post was a typical troll, blablabla. Pot. Kettle. Black.
Old 2008-10-03, 02:14   Link #1489
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Quote:
And the appearance of a goblin or a gnome is also explicitly stated in the description of the English term Fairy.

I think we are tied up TwilightHack
Touche, but Tak already finished this train of thought.

Old 2008-10-03, 05:07   Link #1490
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

On Nymph VS Fairy

Fairy makes me think of tinkerbell: Tiny, Butterflyish wings, kind of cute, in folklore sometimes malevolent or benevolent.

Nymph makes me think of: Sultry and Sexy, Naked woman singing in a grove off in the middle of a forest somewhere.

Now I think Nymph suits Sheryl's persona more than Fairy, Ranka would be more like a fairy. Sheryl is more mature and sexy -> I imagine this was Lunar's line of reasoning.

Also there's no way to directly translate a japanese cultural thing like that into English. It's like trying to translate Yokai, you could translate it as something like demon, but it means something quite different.

No excuses for Remation Eater (which was probably just misheard) and Reflex Weaponry though.

Also are there any smaller/encoded versions of thor's rips?

Last edited by DonQuigleone; 2008-10-03 at 05:17.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 05:14   Link #1491
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquigleone View Post
On Nymph VS Fairy

Fairy makes me think of tinkerbell: Tiny, Butterflyish wings, kind of cute, in folklore sometimes malevolent or benevolent.

Nymph makes me think of: Sultry and Sexy, Naked woman singing in a grove off in the middle of a forest somewhere.

Now I think Nymph suits Sheryl's persona more than Fairy, Ranka would be more like a fairy. Sheryl is more mature and sexy -> I imagine this was Lunar's line of reasoning.

Also there's no way to directly translate a japanese cultural thing like that into English. It's like trying to translate Yokai, you could translate it as something like demon, but it means something quite different.

No excuses for Remation Eater (which was probably just misheard) and Reflex Weaponry though.
I'll agree with the generality there, However there is not always as fine a difference in them.

Also the term Fairy(Yosei(sp)) in Japanese is a wide term which can mean spirit, Tinkerbell or a sultry Idol....all of which Sheryl dose not fall into.....*runs and hides*

edit

And Yokai like some JP words have a meaning based on situation so it can well mean Demon,Spirit,specter,ect,ect,ect...

Last edited by ZippyDSM; 2008-10-03 at 05:28.
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 07:38   Link #1492
BetoJR
... suki ...
*Artist

Not a single argument here, however misguided some may be, can be used when the characters from the show themselves address Sheryl as the GALACTIC FAIRY! IN ENGLISH! And the song lyrics are OBVIOUSLY referring to this little peculiarity!

Now, can we go back to topic, or do we actually need more proof that Lunar messed up? I still like 'em, but this slip up grated me big time.

And lars18th, I can't believe you went to all the trouble to research the terms on Wikipedia, of all places. I thought you knew what you were talking about, when you seemed to brag so much. Guess not, huh?

Old 2008-10-03, 08:18   Link #1493
lars18th

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Not a single argument here, however misguided some may be, can be used when the characters from the show themselves address Sheryl as the GALACTIC FAIRY! IN ENGLISH! And the song lyrics are OBVIOUSLY referring to this little peculiarity!

Now, can we go back to topic, or do we actually need more proof that Lunar messed up? I still like 'em, but this slip up grated me big time.

And lars18th, I can't believe you went to all the trouble to research the terms on Wikipedia, of all places. I thought you knew what you were talking about, when you seemed to brag so much. Guess not, huh?
Hey BetoJR, this is the third time you refer directly to me with a derogatory comment implied. Sounds very hypocritical from the guy that joined this argument by saying others were getting personal. Please stop claiming you are trying to steer the conversation back to topic while you are meanwhile taking little stabs at people.

Fairy and Nymph are synonyms and the exact denomination from both terms ends up being very personal(or culturally related). Maybe by fairy you relate to tinkerbell because you grew up on Disney and u think tinkerbell is cuter.
The term nymph is not as widely used but in my opinion it applies much better to Sheryl as someone else already mentioned.
If you embrace the fact that those two words are synonyms why would you be OUTRAGED and call LUNAR butchers and ignorants about Macross content just because they chose the term nymph? Seriously, get over it.
Old 2008-10-03, 08:22   Link #1494
lars18th

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
I read every post in this sub-forum, because I have been here for some time and plan to stay for hopefully a good more time. So, ZOMG, I noticed that you were here one day. Actually thought two days, clicked on your profile, corrected to one day. What great research.

Yeah, "everybody" was a bit too much, but letīs replace it with "a good number of people, whose opinion I respect and share". Itīs more detailed, anyways.

And, yeah, how could you express your opinion so blatantly? Geeze, itīs as if youīd said controversial things like that Lunar seems to get some basic stuff completely wrong. Like "Remation Eater". Or "Reflex Missiles". I better make a senseless post that your post was a typical troll, blablabla. Pot. Kettle. Black.
Weak comeback.
Old 2008-10-03, 08:24   Link #1495
magnuskn

Quote:
Weak comeback.
And put on ignore. Thanks for making it easy.
Old 2008-10-03, 08:34   Link #1496
BetoJR
... suki ...
*Artist

Cool

Quote:
Hey BetoJR, this is the third time you refer directly to me with a derogatory comment implied. Sounds very hypocritical from the guy that joined this argument by saying others were getting personal. Please stop claiming you are trying to steer the conversation back to topic while you are meanwhile taking little stabs at people.
Little stabs? Get over yourself, man. I'm responding to your base tone in a much lighter vein than you've ever displayed here. So, chill.

But you're right, I am straying way out of topic. So, this will be my last post on this subject.

Quote:
Fairy and Nymph are synonyms and the exact denomination from both terms ends up being very personal(or culturally related). Maybe by fairy you relate to tinkerbell because you grew up on Disney and u think tinkerbell is cuter.
The term nymph is not as widely used but in my opinion it applies much better to Sheryl as someone else already mentioned.
If you embrace the fact that those two words are synonyms why would you be OUTRAGED and call LUNAR butchers and ignorants about Macross content just because they chose the term nymph? Seriously, get over it.
Nymph and Fairy are not, and have never been, synonyms. Your little research on Wikipedia didn't give you any clues? I'm surprised at that. And don't put words in my mouth/keyboard output. I merely stated they butchered a translation of a song (that I particularly enjoyed). I never said they were butchers or ignorants. But that was enough to throw me off their translations, at least of this particular series, seeing as there are other groups doing it.
So, how's that for a little text comprehension 101?

And I don't care if someone thinks nymph applies better to Sheryl. She's referred throughout the series as the Galactic Fairy. In english. I really don't see how you can fail at noticing this little tidbit.

On that note, I'm off.

Old 2008-10-03, 10:38   Link #1497
ZippyDSM

I Do not really care what the "standard" definition of a multiple use word is, its like calling the monsters in InuYasha spirits, its a reasonable translation and frankly its more correct than the drooling fanboy idol "fairy" .
Old 2008-10-03, 10:49   Link #1498
BetoJR
... suki ...
*Artist

Dude, if the characters didn't refer to her as Fairy, on the anime (and in very clear english if I may add), I would have no problem to concede this point. However, they do.

The irony of the fact I'm still discussing this is not lost on me, however.

What I don't care for is blatant ill-manners and shifty behavior when someone disagrees with another's opinion. I may joke and point fingers, but I dare you to actually find me an instance where I was disrespectful to anyone here, over my 4+ years on these forums. And I have never negatively repped anyone over a difference in opinion.
Scratch that, I have never negatively repped anyone, period.

Old 2008-10-03, 11:00   Link #1499
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Dude, if the characters didn't refer to her as Fairy, on the anime (and in very clear english if I may add), I would have no problem to concede this point. However, they do.

The irony of the fact I'm still discussing this is not lost on me, however.

What I don't care for is blatant ill-manners and shifty behavior when someone disagrees with another's opinion. I may joke and point fingers, but I dare you to actually find me an instance where I was disrespectful to anyone here, over my 4+ years on these forums. And I have never negatively repped anyone over a difference in opinion.
Scratch that, I have never negatively repped anyone, period.
Well there are fanboys on each side making the whole thing silly, I can easily see both sides of the Fairy/Yosei/Nimph argument. But by days end its still a silly argument....
Old 2008-10-03, 11:05   Link #1500
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyDSM View Post
Well there are fanboys on each side making the whole thing silly, I can easily see both sides of the Fairy/Yosei/Nimph argument. But by days end its still a silly argument....
Excuse, short academic question. How exactly are there two sides of the argument? I mean, the characters in the Japanese show say in English that she is the Galactic Fairy. If the original creators of the show chose that variation, then there is no other translation, period.

And, yeah, the fact that there is only one interpretation, as far as the show is concerned, makes this a silly argument. But only from one side of the discussion...

Tags
action, romance