AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-10-03, 04:23   Link #21
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
Well, it's best to remove WinCtrl32.dll or the problem will reoccur again.

- Download ComboFix here: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe
- Save it to the desktop
- Now, physically disconnect the computer from the internet.
- Go to Safe Mode and Run ComboFix. [ I don't remember if it'll work in Safe Mode. If it doesn't, run it in normal mode, but be sure to disable all your protection programs. ]
- Let it load until it gives you two options; 1 to continue, and 2 to quit.
- Type "1" and press enter.
- Do not do anything on your computer while it's running.
- Once ComboFix is done, it will quit on its own and open a text document showing its log.
- If you're not in Safe Mode, go to Safe Mode.
- Double-check that winctrl32.dll is gone.
- On the Start Menu, select run and type "regedit" and hit enter.
- Look for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\winctrl32 and delete it.
- Restart the computer to Normal Mode.

At this point, before you connect the computer back to the internet, I would suggest getting Kaspersky Internet Security or NOD32 Internet Security. Symantec AntiVirus will work as well as long as it's the Corporate Edition, but it won't give you a firewall like Kaspersky and NOD32 would.

Also, make sure you uninstall all your old protection programs before installing your new Internet Security program because they will conflict with each other and slow the computer down, and possibly even have a fight over your registry...which could get ugly and cause more damage to your computer.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 04:24   Link #22
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix Send a message via Skype™ to demonix
I'd suggest that you run another scan with hijack this just to make sure that entry for WinCtrl32.dll has completely gone (and that WinCtrl32.dl_ is a compressed version of the original so it should be removed).

Also don't turn system restore back on since if you get another infection it'll stop it from coming back again and again.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 20:28   Link #23
anonymaus

ComboFix killed Winctrl32.dll.

Thank you again!

<:3_)~~
anonymaus is offline   Reply With Quote