AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-10-02, 14:27   Link #61
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to FLCL
we'll see how this pans out
FLCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 15:07   Link #62
Mega-Japan
Capuchuuuuuuuuuu!!!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York
Send a message via AIM to Mega-Japan Send a message via Yahoo to Mega-Japan
This anime definitely calls my attention, haven't watched a bloody anime with a heroine as the main character since Claymore. Looking forward to the subs ^-^
__________________
Mega-Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 15:09   Link #63
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
I found the first episode to be ... largely disappointing. I might have had too much expectations riding on this, but this was seriously unimpressive. The comedy is done in a over-the-top slapstick manner, which i rarely find to be working when trying to work together with darker mood ... and it didn't really work here either. Not like there was all that much in terms of mood to begin with, as the whole episode is best described as dull and un-immersing, and that includes both the characters (though there is some potential here, depending on how things pan out - after all they were barely introduced here) and the action scenes.

The animation is of varying quality. Generally it is pretty decent, but sometimes the character designs flickers and become quite crude and basic. As far as sakuga quality goes, this won't be anything to write home about. Action scenes themselves aren't very impressive either, and it feels there will be little memorable stuff in this regard. There wasn't much effort put in to making the fights dynamic or thrilling, which makes me worried considering this is the case already in the first episode.

The story itself might hold some promise, but we will have to see how it unfolds - at any rate, it seems it will be largely episodic until further notice.

There was a scene that i quite liked in the first episode though -
Spoiler for ep1:


One impressive scene does not a very positive first impression make though, and mine is less than that. Will see how this unfolds, but first episode left a lot to be desired.
__________________
Skyfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 16:59   Link #64
cyth
ふひひ
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Age: 28
"Come on, it's Gainax" doesn't really cut it for me after seeing this episode. I'm usually not that enthusiastic about dark-themed anime, but I gave it a go because, well, Gurren Lagann was awesome; hardly any episodes disappointed. Shikabane Hime's first episode felt like some old relic that was dug up from the 90's anime burial grounds. I'm expecting more from titles this season because there are so many of them, and I've expected less from some, but they did an outstanding job.

Long rant short, I'm not willing to give this series any slack just because it's a Gainax title.
__________________
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 17:04   Link #65
aroduc
Ruiner of Things
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
"Come on, it's Gainax" doesn't really cut it for me after seeing this episode. I'm usually not that enthusiastic about dark-themed anime, but I gave it a go because, well, Gurren Lagann was awesome; hardly any episodes disappointed. Shikabane Hime's first episode felt like some old relic that was dug up from the 90's anime burial grounds. I'm expecting more from titles this season because there are so many of them, and I've expected less from some, but they did an outstanding job.

Long rant short, I'm not willing to give this series any slack just because it's a Gainax title.
Not even for Naruto's director either? Come on. It's Naruto.

/snark
aroduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 17:11   Link #66
Mega-Japan
Capuchuuuuuuuuuu!!!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York
Send a message via AIM to Mega-Japan Send a message via Yahoo to Mega-Japan
I think one should at least try a second episode after wasting half an hour of your life on the first?
Hey, 25 minutes, 50 minutes... big deal xD
__________________
Mega-Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 20:41   Link #67
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I found the first episode to be ... largely disappointing. I might have had too much expectations riding on this, but this was seriously unimpressive. The comedy is done in a over-the-top slapstick manner, which i rarely find to be working when trying to work together with darker mood ... and it didn't really work here either. Not like there was all that much in terms of mood to begin with, as the whole episode is best described as dull and un-immersing, and that includes both the characters (though there is some potential here, depending on how things pan out - after all they were barely introduced here) and the action scenes.

The animation is of varying quality. Generally it is pretty decent, but sometimes the character designs flickers and become quite crude and basic. As far as sakuga quality goes, this won't be anything to write home about. Action scenes themselves aren't very impressive either, and it feels there will be little memorable stuff in this regard. There wasn't much effort put in to making the fights dynamic or thrilling, which makes me worried considering this is the case already in the first episode.

The story itself might hold some promise, but we will have to see how it unfolds - at any rate, it seems it will be largely episodic until further notice.

There was a scene that i quite liked in the first episode though -
Spoiler for ep1:


One impressive scene does not a very positive first impression make though, and mine is less than that. Will see how this unfolds, but first episode left a lot to be desired.
I almost agree with you except you left out easily the most notable factor about the episode - some impressive directing! Great use of color tones, interesting animation techniques, and a decent coat of style. Plus even though the animation wasn't great the art is fantastic.
Deus ex Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 21:28   Link #68
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Hmmm.... waiting for subs but I liked what I saw so far. No complaints from me when the lady packs dual submachine guns.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 21:46   Link #69
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC, NY
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroduc View Post
Not even for Naruto's director either? Come on. It's Naruto.

/snark
Look at how many people watch Naruto... It just has to be "good"

In reality though episode 1 sucked... but I'll give it another chance
__________________
Sterling01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 12:50   Link #70
Fnights
Yoku dekimashita!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Europe
Mpf, at least seems is a new story, characters apart. Chara design suck compared to the manga, but animations aren't so bad. Guess i will follow this serie as filler like rosario + vampire, maybe something good will happen in next episodes.
__________________
Current anime list
All anime i'm able to watch!

Current manga list
Claymore | Yumekui Merry | Uwa Koi | Toyko Ghoul | Akame ga Kill | Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio | Gokukoku no Brynhildr | Monster Musume | Freezing
Fnights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 15:20   Link #71
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Average first start I guess, but I do hope they will continue to improve (like what it was for GL).
The OP theme was a complete treat for me though even if the episode was sorta average.

I actually don't mind seen as we have only just started...but the "monster of the week" theme is hardly encouraging. Still, I have my expectations and it hasn't lessened thus far yet. Just wait until we get into the character development I suppose.

One thing I loved was the choice of weapon for Makina. Normally a cliched exorcise weapon would be either a sword...or if it is a firearm, some sort of pistol. But watching automatic uzis being fired made me laugh
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 07:57   Link #72
Mei
Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
I quite enjoyed the first episode, definately going to wait to see how it turns out. The monotonous kill one monster and there is another one for the next episode tag line doesn't work well with me though.
Mei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 14:07   Link #73
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
This is definitely not my genre. I loathe monster of the week, or even monsters at all. But I got a pretty good feeling from this first episode. The direction/storyboarding seemed fairly sharp, and I liked the voices.

The female lead, Akiyama Nana 秋山奈々, appears to be an 18-year-old model/actress/singer without much anime experience, and you can hear a trace of flatness in her voice, but it gave me a good feeling anyway. Just to give you an idea of what we're dealing with here, I found a couple of pictures of Akiyama Nana, who may be a big selling point for this show in Japan (click to enlarge photos). She has six idol DVDs and some photo books out, has been in eleven dramas and six movies:



We can also listen for Fujiwara Keiji, Horie Yui, Nakata Jouji, and Sugita Tomokazu in this episode, and Suwabe Junichi and Yuuki Aoi (Murasaki in Kurenai) to come.

The humor didn't do much for me, either, but it did help to vary the mood. angela's singing was great.

As far as I can find out, the director, Murata Masahiko, doesn't direct Naruto, he just does some storyboards for it. He did direct Gilgamesh and Jinki:Extend, however, and was animation director for Naruto Shippuuden.
__________________
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2008-10-04 at 14:24.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 14:09   Link #74
Midonin
Last Engage
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
She may not have much anime experience, but Akiyama did play one of the secondary characters in Kamen Rider Hibiki. Other toku stars on the cast list are Chise Nakamura and Mika Kikuchi, though Mika does have the most anime experience among the group.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 15:53   Link #75
solomon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Suburban DC
Saw the first episode, thouroughly delivered in action and production quality. That's all I can say really, nothing else really lept out at me.

As for Akiyama, I thought she was really good. She's just not doing "seiyuu acting".
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 11:55   Link #76
Ichy
It`s a miracle!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: This is the Kind of Woman I want to play Games with. And by playing Games I mean.... ^____^
Age: 33
subs where? ;_;
__________________
Ichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 16:58   Link #77
Chrno2
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
We are ready with the sub, but we are waiting for a good raw to come out....
NEEDS HD RAW XDD
Chrno2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 01:26   Link #78
muramasa.swordsman
Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
How's the quality for the current raw so far?
muramasa.swordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 08:04   Link #79
Chrno2
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Not very good.
ATX raws = LQ
Chrno2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 14:37   Link #80
TsukasaTetris
Orenji~
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
I personally could care less if it's LQ, I just want to watch it already. T_T Since you say you'll need an HD raw, how long do you think it will take for one to release?
TsukasaTetris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, gainax, horror, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.