AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-10-04, 23:11   Link #61
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
The second episode improves on the first quite substantially, in my opinion. In addition to Isaac Asimov, we now have a reference to Philip K. Dick as well. The writing team clearly knows it is treading on familiar ground, but at the same time, manages to go down a fresh, new track.

The theme is not so much about discrimination and how we deal with it, it seems. To me, it's apparently a play on rules, and how we use them to define ourselves and our meaning. Android behaviours are defined (and confined) by Asimov's Three Rules. Similarly, Eve's Cafe imposes its own sets of rules to protect its customers' privacy, and ironically, to create its own sense of space and individuality.

As for the larger conspiracy, it's something we've seen before in many other sci-fi shows involving robots, so I'm not particularly surprised nor excited by the "individuality" circuit. But I'm certainly interested to see how it plays out in relation to the cast.

And oh yes, Chii-chan is adorable. She's the first anime character to make me laugh spontaneously this whole season. It's been a pretty dry summer, unfortunately.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 02:48   Link #62
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
FYI Studio Rikka has simultaneously released the streamed version of the episodes in English, while French, Spanish, German and Italian versions will be released in this month. The producer also actively responds to the comments from the fans in the streaming sites.

It is interesting that everyone made a big fuss out of Gonzo's simultaneous releases but no one cares to pay attention to this one, and would rather grab the fansubs instead. As an ex-fansubber, I am by no means an advocate of the no-fansub crusade. But in my opinion, as a gesture of courtesy, fans of the series should give some minimal support to the studio for its efforts to cater to the needs of the overseas anime fans.

Anyway here are the links:

Official site in English:
http://timeofeve.com/e/

English subs @ CrunchyRoll
http://www.crunchyroll.com/library/Time_of_Eve

Producer Yoshiura's responses to the comments on the BBS @ CrunchyRoll:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Doraneko; 2008-10-05 at 03:00.
Doraneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 02:55   Link #63
xris
Just call me Ojisan
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: U.K. Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko View Post
FYI Studio Rikka has simultaneously released the streamed version of the episodes in English, while French, Spanish, German and Italian versions will be released in this month. The producer also actively responds to the comments from the fans in the streaming sites.

It is interesting that everyone made a big fuss out of Gonzo's simultaneous releases but no one cares to pay attention to this one, and would rather grab the fansubs instead. As an ex-fansubber, I am by no means an advocate of the no-fansub crusade. But in my opinion, as a gesture of courtesy, fans of the series should give some minimal support to the studio for its efforts to cater to the needs of the overseas anime fans.

Anyway here are the links:

Official site in English:
http://timeofeve.com/e/

English subs @ CrunchyRoll
http://www.crunchyroll.com/library/Time_of_Eve
Due to the fact that the episodes have been released in English and that the official release can be found on Crunchy, the series is considered licensed.

Thread moved to the Licensed forum, this also means no links to fansubs or mention of fansub groups as per the forum rules.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 08:55   Link #64
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
The second episode improves on the first quite substantially, in my opinion. In addition to Isaac Asimov, we now have a reference to Philip K. Dick as well. The writing team clearly knows it is treading on familiar ground, but at the same time, manages to go down a fresh, new track.

The theme is not so much about discrimination and how we deal with it, it seems. To me, it's apparently a play on rules, and how we use them to define ourselves and our meaning. Android behaviours are defined (and confined) by Asimov's Three Rules. Similarly, Eve's Cafe imposes its own sets of rules to protect its customers' privacy, and ironically, to create its own sense of space and individuality.

As for the larger conspiracy, it's something we've seen before in many other sci-fi shows involving robots, so I'm not particularly surprised nor excited by the "individuality" circuit. But I'm certainly interested to see how it plays out in relation to the cast.

And oh yes, Chii-chan is adorable. She's the first anime character to make me laugh spontaneously this whole season. It's been a pretty dry summer, unfortunately.
Agreed on almost all points, except the discrimination factor seems to flesh things out considerably and turn things a bit tense where otherwise it'd have been a bit dull.

It's really strange for people to bully around robots though... But whatever gets the attention. I'm not quite sure exactly why there'd be such a backlash on a more intimate relationships with robots in a platonic manner. Heck, people do the same thing with dolls, pets, etc. If there is some sort of a conspiracy to let the AI run loose and experiment with individuality, maybe demonizing the Dori-Kei was a part of the plan.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 15:15   Link #65
Ashlotte
Clockwork
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko View Post
FYI Studio Rikka has simultaneously released the streamed version of the episodes in English, while French, Spanish, German and Italian versions will be released in this month. The producer also actively responds to the comments from the fans in the streaming sites.

It is interesting that everyone made a big fuss out of Gonzo's simultaneous releases but no one cares to pay attention to this one, and would rather grab the fansubs instead. As an ex-fansubber, I am by no means an advocate of the no-fansub crusade. But in my opinion, as a gesture of courtesy, fans of the series should give some minimal support to the studio for its efforts to cater to the needs of the overseas anime fans.

Anyway here are the links:

Official site in English:
http://timeofeve.com/e/

English subs @ CrunchyRoll
http://www.crunchyroll.com/library/Time_of_Eve

Producer Yoshiura's responses to the comments on the BBS @ CrunchyRoll:
Spoiler:
Interesting to know thanks...I suppose I've always been slow to adapt (Took me forever just to figure out torrents ages ago...) and I'm still not terrbily fond of the concept of buying digital copies of things...Just one of those people that likes looking at bookshelves of Novels/DVDs/Manga etc etc.

Streaming seems to be hit or miss on this computer aswell for some reason...When I watched it on the website listed I had a great deal of sputtering if you try the fullscreen and the normal sized is pretty tiny, which really isn't anything new seeing as I get the same thing from places like Youtube...But it defiantly diminishes the enjoyment.

I'm supposing if you choose the download option though the quality is better then the stream, but it seems like it suffers from "Americanized" subbing,Android-holic? , so I guess that leaves the option of chipping in my 2 pence for support but still not watching whatever it is I payed for. Not a big deal in the end I suppose since I rarely bother watching official subs due to a distaste for font style/size/color generally, but atleast I get a spiffy artbox and possibly some extras to keep on my shelves...

Meh either way its nice that the creators atleast take an interest in their English fanbase.
__________________

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 15:18   Link #66
Slice of Life
eyewitness
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I'm not quite sure exactly why there'd be such a backlash on a more intimate relationships with robots in a platonic manner.
I don't know if you really mean "platonic". Because that still implies a romantic relationship in my understanding. Apart from that I can easily imagine what happens when an otaku gets his hands on such an android (the word "platonic" doesn't play a big role in it) and I find the scenario rather unsettling. People who already have difficulties
Quote:
watching, for example, high school students roughly tossing their school bags at their androids
are strongly advised to not think it through.

The same cannot be said about Chobits and in so far I cannot understand TinyRedLeaf's comparison. Behind all window-dressing and beating around the bush, the viewer is of course supposed to imagine Chii as a sex toy/slave. That is the main selling point of that anime (like in all other anime of that genre I'm aware of.)
__________________
- Any ideas how to fill this space?
Slice of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 17:22   Link #67
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life
The same cannot be said about Chobits and in so far I cannot understand TinyRedLeaf's comparison. Behind all window-dressing and beating around the bush, the viewer is of course supposed to imagine Chii as a sex toy/slave.
The similarity to Chobits is purely superficial. I did qualify that it was the first impression that came to my mind after viewing the first episode. That said, Chobits and Time of Eve both set up a scenario where androids have become commonplace and real people are starting to treat them like fellow human beings. In the end, Chobits explored the premise from an ecchi angle (no thanks to Clamp — they ruined what could otherwise have been a very interesting show), while Time of Eve stays truer to Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko
It is interesting that everyone made a big fuss out of Gonzo's simultaneous releases but no one cares to pay attention to this one, and would rather grab the fansubs instead.
I do care, but I didn't know that the studio decided to release its own subtitles. Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimichi
Meh either way its nice that the creators atleast take an interest in their English fanbase.
Let's hope it's the start of a growing trend. It's about time that producers learn to use the Internet as a marketing tool, rather than viewing it as a threat to be destroyed.

============

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshiura
After the household androids take root in society, a question arises: How should people treat these robots? Perhaps society as a whole needs some guidelines. In response, society advocates that people treat robots differently from humans. This stance is a practical one, and stands apart from issues like human dignity or bioethics... People have created androids as an extension of household appliances; and since these androids resemble humans, when they proliferate throughout society unexpected problems arise. So, what should people do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshiura
So regardless of whether or not we create androids in the future, in fact we're already halfway there when it comes to substituting in machines for our own work. I think human evolution — spiritual evolution — is in part being conscious of using machines to substitute for human activities, and being aware that robots/androids are an extension of that substitution process.
Except that if that were all Time of Eve is supposed to be about, then the premise is itself quite stale. But since it appears that Time of Eve pays homage to Asimov and Philip K. Dick, I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshiura
In a situation where there are actually robots and androids, some people accept them as a matter of course and treat them like it's no big deal; some people treat them completely like household appliances; other people treat them very much like humans; and some people would like to treat them kind of like humans, but can't because they're self-conscious other people's opinions. That scene was the result of my attempt to portray lots of different types of people.
The above, on the other hand, is what makes this show particularly promising for me. As androids and humans explore their relationships with one another, they gradually develop new rules to extend the Three Laws. In essence, we're witnessing the birth of a new set of ethics, a new set of rules.

To me, the key moment of Episode Two is when the mysterious agent(?) said: "Break the rule, and you won't have a good time here. Or rather, there is no point in being here at all."

The irony of the situation is very striking — in Eve's Cafe, there are rules that restrict even as they liberate humans and androids alike.

If you extend that thought a bit further, given the difficulty in distinguishing android and humans, you can't help but notice that there are humans who are more robotic than their household appliances! In a society like Japan's, where people are behave according to strict social rules, and often hide their true emotions behind an emotionless facade, it's deliciously satirical that some androids are more "alive" than their masters.

This, to me, is what makes Time of Eve an exciting take on an otherwise stale and familiar premise.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 19:00   Link #68
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Send a message via AIM to MercFH
since my post got deleted before, ill do it the right way this time


I love the idea of androids. i've heard about this series.
whats the general feeling of this anime? good or bad?, meh?

i heard something on one site that said "pantsu....seriously".
is there like....sex or ecchi or something in the second episode? anyone know wtf this person was talking about.
either way i might have to check out the series. it looks high quality
MercFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 19:34   Link #69
Slice of Life
eyewitness
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercFH View Post
i heard something on one site that said "pantsu....seriously".
is there like....sex or ecchi or something in the second episode? anyone know wtf this person was talking about.
No sex, no ecchi. It's probably the most pure reference to panties ever seen in an anime.
__________________
- Any ideas how to fill this space?
Slice of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 19:41   Link #70
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Send a message via AIM to MercFH
oh lol
i can only imagine what it was ahahah
MercFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 20:37   Link #71
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 31
This show is fairly epic, completely not what I was originally expecting. I have to say I'm much more interested in the route they took then the one I originally thought it would be.

Its a pity it is only, 6(?) episodes long I hear.
__________________
Mr Hat and Clogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 06:10   Link #72
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Send a message via AIM to MercFH
Hmmm i was looking at the English version of the official webpage and it says this:"this FIRST SEASON consists of 6 15 min episodes....etccc etc..."

first season?........maybe I missed something but is there a plan to extend it past the 6 episodes? after it's all over.
because that would be awesome (btw just watched both episodes. AMAZING)


im also curious at what Rikuo and Sammy's "relationship" may end up being at the end of the story. will he end up seeing Androids in a different light, or will they develop emotions. It can go either way ... EXCITING!
MercFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 07:00   Link #73
Fevvers
a regular van veen
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Glad to see people liking this series; Yasuhiro Yoshiura is in need of more deserved attention and fans. For those people who are currently enjoying this, I heartily recommend his Pale Cocoon, which I believe is one of the most underappreciated gems we have around.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 09:04   Link #74
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercFH
im also curious at what Rikuo and Sammy's "relationship" may end up being at the end of the story. will he end up seeing Androids in a different light, or will they develop emotions. It can go either way ... EXCITING!
I think it's safe to assume that the androids already have emotions — they are merely hiding them from their human masters. As for Rikuo and Sammy's relationship, I hope it doesn't become romantic. I would really prefer not to see Chobits II.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 16:01   Link #75
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Send a message via AIM to MercFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I think it's safe to assume that the androids already have emotions — they are merely hiding them from their human masters. As for Rikuo and Sammy's relationship, I hope it doesn't become romantic. I would really prefer not to see Chobits II.
agreed, but I would like to see Rikuo perhaps see Sammy as a real person and not an appliance .
and maybe Sammy to accept her own 'emotions' and see how that plays out.

and I do not expect a Chobits too. but perhaps a "understanding" of each other and their emotions would be more fitting
MercFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 15:30   Link #76
Slice of Life
eyewitness
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
As long as Sammy =/= Chii, Eve no Jikan =/= Chobits, so I don't care either way. But isn't Sammy a bit too old anyway (well, in appearance)? Is Rikuo a Robo-Onee-Kon?

In other news, I've decided to let out my inner fanboy, sent Moe on paid vacations for two weeks or so and put his bar into competent hand for the meantime.
__________________
- Any ideas how to fill this space?
Slice of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 17:19   Link #77
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Send a message via AIM to MercFH
Sammy looks to be about 27-28. maybe a few years younger
MercFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 19:55   Link #78
Ashlotte
Clockwork
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
As long as Sammy =/= Chii, Eve no Jikan =/= Chobits, so I don't care either way. But isn't Sammy a bit too old anyway (well, in appearance)? Is Rikuo a Robo-Onee-Kon?

In other news, I've decided to let out my inner fanboy, sent Moe on paid vacations for two weeks or so and put his bar into competent hand for the meantime.
Wow Moe is gone...Something doesn't...Feel right about that...



But more seriously and still slightly OT thank you kafka for the recommendation of the directors earlier work Pale Cocoon...It reminded me alot of the first time I watched Voices of a Distant Star although I enjoyed this abit more probably because the art direction had a great deal of impact to it and the characters were slightly more intriguing. Alot of the art was reused throughout but the way they played with light and shadow in most of the shots made it seem different everytime. Easily worth the 10 bucks.

I also checked out his short Mizu no Kotaba which seems like Eve's precursor with the whole cafe and robots setting.

Either way both were highly enjoyable and more now then ever I can't wait to see what he does and where he goes with this series.
__________________

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 23:27   Link #79
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Unnecessary
Age: 28
Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
I sometime wonder why whenever the topic of androids intermingling with humans, we always think "Chobits!"

That aside, i'm glad I got a chance to see the episodes from 1 to 2. The theme is very interesting and the way it's brought out in the anime can be no better. Though it's only 6 episodes long, I wonder what else they can bring out within the next 4.

Kimichi - I love your avatar.
__________________

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 07:53   Link #80
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
I don't know if you really mean "platonic". Because that still implies a romantic relationship in my understanding. Apart from that I can easily imagine what happens when an otaku gets his hands on such an android (the word "platonic" doesn't play a big role in it) and I find the scenario rather unsettling. People who already have difficulties

are strongly advised to not think it through.

The same cannot be said about Chobits and in so far I cannot understand TinyRedLeaf's comparison. Behind all window-dressing and beating around the bush, the viewer is of course supposed to imagine Chii as a sex toy/slave. That is the main selling point of that anime (like in all other anime of that genre I'm aware of.)
By platonic in regards to affection, that basically means going to loving lengths short of anything physical, but in terms of ideal and perhaps even romanticism of being close to someone (or someTHING). Sorta like how one may feel with a pet. But obviously, a humanoid robot has that vaguely sexual aspect as well.

Honestly, I would think that if people can't handle that kind of misunderstanding, then they simply would not buy robots that way. I guess in that sense, people could overreact and treat robots harshly or excessively like we've seen in Eve so far. It makes sense, but that kind of action reeks pretty much of hypocrisy to me. Then again, people wear all sorts of masks in regard to appearing a certain way in sexual attraction and their ways of lives, so it isn't surprising either.

As for Chobits, though that show was more about just fooling around with robots and having ecchi fun, I think that show's underlying message isn't so different from Eve's, though this show obviously puts the psychological aspects of robotic laws at the forefront.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sci-fi

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.