AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-10-10, 15:53   Link #21
RedWing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meehlimo View Post
Also is it ever explained why nuclear power is such a nono?
If you have high efficient Solar what good is nuclear power? No need to worry about disposal of waste, leakage, and although this isn't widely said Nuclear reactors need a LOAD of water to cool.
RedWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 16:01   Link #22
JMvS
Rawrrr!
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CH aka Chocaholic Heaven
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meehlimo View Post
Also is it ever explained why nuclear power is such a nono?
IIRC there was some kind of nuclear disaster that made people ban the use of the technology, of course is was (partly?) monitored by CB, along the lines of Aeolia's plan, to favor the Solar Energy System.
__________________
JMvS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 16:47   Link #23
darkprimus
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Yes, its canon that they reduce weight. It was labeled in the spec sheets included with the models.
Really, good. That makes that scene where Exia takes off and Wang Liu Mei is watching make a heck of a lot more sense. When I watched that scene I figured the GN Drive has to do something funny to the weight of an object as otherwise she and Hong Long should have been sent flying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelrys View Post
Now all the GN-Drives and Drive Tau thats been discussing in other threads can continue here XD

I always think AD technology is more resembles our current world, its the same timelime after all.

Orbital elevator is possible right?
Well yes and no. We have the technology necessary to develop a working elevator but we don't have the technology to produce the tether that the elevator needs in order to actually go up or down. What we have right now (as far as tether material goes) is something darn close (carbon nanotubes), but we have no method for rapidly producing them in sufficient quantity and in the appropriate configuration (nice, incredibly long strands) so it's still something just on the drawing board. As our facility with nanotechnology improves, we will hopefully be able to actually make nice ropes out of the carbon nanotubes. Then we can begin taking them up into orbit and essentially dropping them down to the ground. After that you start constructing the actual elevator on the tether.
darkprimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 22:43   Link #24
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkprimus View Post
Well yes and no. We have the technology necessary to develop a working elevator but we don't have the technology to produce the tether that the elevator needs in order to actually go up or down. What we have right now (as far as tether material goes) is something darn close (carbon nanotubes), but we have no method for rapidly producing them in sufficient quantity and in the appropriate configuration (nice, incredibly long strands) so it's still something just on the drawing board. As our facility with nanotechnology improves, we will hopefully be able to actually make nice ropes out of the carbon nanotubes. Then we can begin taking them up into orbit and essentially dropping them down to the ground. After that you start constructing the actual elevator on the tether.
And of course, if and when such a material is produced, it would be a simple matter to convert the tech to armor technology. That's why everything in 00 is armored with C-Carbon; metal alloys and ceramic composites were superseded as a result.

On that note, the Tieren Katars are made of carbon too. Metal swords simply won't do.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 00:53   Link #25
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
IIRC there was some kind of nuclear disaster that made people ban the use of the technology, of course is was (partly?) monitored by CB, along the lines of Aeolia's plan, to favor the Solar Energy System.
It seemed that during that operation to capture all 4 gundams the Chinese were heavily critizied for choosing that "ancient relic of the past" site for it. Even the American president noted it.

Nuclear power seems to be something they locked into the desert and threw the keys away.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 02:31   Link #26
Paladinoras
Pancakes
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: In Your House. No, really, look properly.
GN Drives. . . Why do they provide limitless energy?
__________________


Credit to Godlike1889 for the sig!
Paladinoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 02:56   Link #27
Kelrys
Same old same
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: HRL
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to Kelrys Send a message via MSN to Kelrys
Maybe they can regenerate through natural means.
Kelrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 03:41   Link #28
JackRydden224
Knight of Twelve's Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Orange County
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meehlimo View Post
Also is it ever explained why nuclear power is such a nono?
Watch MSG, Victory and Turn A then you'll know

Basically, if you are not skilled enough to blow up a MS by shooting or cutting the right parts you'll get a nuclear explosion in your face
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34701&dateline=122081  2182
JackRydden224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 04:21   Link #29
Sides
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Edinburgh
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladinoras View Post
GN Drives. . . Why do they provide limitless energy?
It is Sci-Fi. Everytime a character in the series figures it out and is about to tell us how it works, will die during the process ^^. So it will always be mystery
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 10:06   Link #30
Daigo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224 View Post
Watch MSG, Victory and Turn A then you'll know

Basically, if you are not skilled enough to blow up a MS by shooting or cutting the right parts you'll get a nuclear explosion in your face
Which doesn't make sense. In the real world, just shooting a nuclear reactor with a missile or something, doesn't suddenly create a nuclear explosion. Quite the opposite. Active measures need to be taken in order to create a nuclear reaction. Just shooting a reactor won't do it.

Quote:
Nuclear power is a big no no in a world where clean energy sources like solar power exist.

Besides, why would the Federation ever want mobile suits to be able to act independently? It's far better to control the spread of the new generation of mobile weapons by controlling 95% of the energy that would be necessary to power the units.
Nuclear power actually is a clean energy source, especially if they have fusion power, which I suppose they don't. As for your second answer, I think that's really just rationalizing. The real reason is because the anime wants to put the focus on the gundams, and not the hordes of faceless mobile suits that are usually killed by the thousand.


But the real question shouldn't be about the reactors, but rather, why do any of these mobile suits have legs? 00 seems to skip over the whole walking mech thing, and go straight to the flying robot thing right from the start. Most of the other gundam series have a slow progression from walking mechs to flying mechs, but right from the start, 00 had flying gundams. *shrugs* To confound things, their flying device, the gn drive, is mounted on the back (or the shoulders). No need for thrusters in the legs at all. The legs just seem to be dead weights as far as I concerned.
Daigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 11:57   Link #31
Bad wolf
Pacifist War Lord
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ohio, Holy Empire of Britannia
Age: 19
Send a message via AIM to Bad wolf Send a message via MSN to Bad wolf Send a message via Yahoo to Bad wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladinoras View Post
GN Drives. . . Why do they provide limitless energy?
Becuase they are Gundams.
Thats about as good an explanation I think we're ever gonna get XD
__________________
Fear the wrath of mai bunny.
Bad wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 12:13   Link #32
JMvS
Rawrrr!
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CH aka Chocaholic Heaven
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigo View Post
Which doesn't make sense. In the real world, just shooting a nuclear reactor with a missile or something, doesn't suddenly create a nuclear explosion. Quite the opposite. Active measures need to be taken in order to create a nuclear reaction. Just shooting a reactor won't do it.



Nuclear power actually is a clean energy source, especially if they have fusion power, which I suppose they don't. As for your second answer, I think that's really just rationalizing. The real reason is because the anime wants to put the focus on the gundams, and not the hordes of faceless mobile suits that are usually killed by the thousand.


But the real question shouldn't be about the reactors, but rather, why do any of these mobile suits have legs? 00 seems to skip over the whole walking mech thing, and go straight to the flying robot thing right from the start. Most of the other gundam series have a slow progression from walking mechs to flying mechs, but right from the start, 00 had flying gundams. *shrugs* To confound things, their flying device, the gn drive, is mounted on the back (or the shoulders). No need for thrusters in the legs at all. The legs just seem to be dead weights as far as I concerned.
Well Gundam isn't Hard Science Fiction. It's a TV-show that uses with consistency the following tropes:
-humanoid robots are superior to conventional weapon: if it weren't for this trope, most Mecha-Anime wouldn't exist...
-vehicles are explosives, especially when powered with a power source including that includes in its description the word "nuclear".
-nukes are like very powerfull dynamite sticks: remember in Turn-A when
Spoiler for spoiler:

-and numerous other...

If you don't accept these and start nitpicking details as if it was hard science fiction, you'll spoil yourself the entertainment, as I did myself when Wing was airing 10 years ago in my country (WTF! beam-SCYTHES!!!!!! That's way too far unrealistic!!! )
__________________
JMvS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 12:27   Link #33
RAVNEN
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: malim nawar,malaysia
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to RAVNEN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigo View Post
Nuclear power actually is a clean energy source. .
Yeah,damn right.
It is a clean energy source & it also can be use as a weapon. That why in our world there are few country that had nuclear capability.
RAVNEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 12:41   Link #34
FRS
Lurker on the threshold
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: France
Age: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigo View Post
Which doesn't make sense. In the real world, just shooting a nuclear reactor with a missile or something, doesn't suddenly create a nuclear explosion. Quite the opposite. Active measures need to be taken in order to create a nuclear reaction. Just shooting a reactor won't do it.
You would still have radioactive fallout.

Quote:
Nuclear power actually is a clean energy source, especially if they have fusion power, which I suppose they don't.
Ypu still have the problem of the radioactive waste and the fact that nuclear combustible is not infinite.
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 13:33   Link #35
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
Well Gundam isn't Hard Science Fiction. It's a TV-show that uses with consistency the following tropes:
-humanoid robots are superior to conventional weapon: if it weren't for this trope, most Mecha-Anime wouldn't exist...
-vehicles are explosives, especially when powered with a power source including that includes in its description the word "nuclear".
-nukes are like very powerfull dynamite sticks: remember in Turn-A when
Spoiler for spoiler:

-and numerous other...

If you don't accept these and start nitpicking details as if it was hard science fiction, you'll spoil yourself the entertainment, as I did myself when Wing was airing 10 years ago in my country (WTF! beam-SCYTHES!!!!!! That's way too far unrealistic!!! )
I think I'll just copy this from TV tropes, about the Minovsky Particle:

Quote:
It is worth noting that the Minovsky Particles were designed specifically to allow or even encourage the existence of giant combat robots. The series creator has definitely read and possibly even written a few reports stating that interstellar combat will take place at distances and speeds that make human involvement at anything past the planning stages dangerously wasteful... barring unpredicted advances such as the Minovsky Particle.
Also, about beam scythes? Its not nearly as unrealistic when you take into account how beam melee weaponry works in the Gundam universe: Its nothing more than a magnetic field shaped into a bladed weapon, containing the energy that makes it a beam weapon. When the magnetic field makes contact with something, the field is disrupted, releasing the energy to do its work and melt through whatever the MS is attacking.

Therefore, changing the magnetic field to form a scythe blade instead of a saber blade wouldn't be that hard to imagine--it can be done for virtually any kind of melee weapon.
__________________
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 14:38   Link #36
rebel one
Do the Monkey
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: on TOP of a rock
Just wondering, 00 Gundam is actually the successor to Gundam Rasiel not Exia right?
rebel one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 14:39   Link #37
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel one View Post
Just wondering, 00 Gundam is actually the successor to Gundam Rasiel not Exia right?
In pilot, color scheme, and payload, 00 Gundam is the successor for Gundam Exia. Gundam Rasiel is, I think both a prototype to 00 Gundam and half of the testbed for the GN-Arms, thanks to the GN-Sefer.
__________________
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 14:49   Link #38
rebel one
Do the Monkey
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: on TOP of a rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
In pilot, color scheme, and payload, 00 Gundam is the successor for Gundam Exia. Gundam Rasiel is, I think both a prototype to 00 Gundam and half of the testbed for the GN-Arms, thanks to the GN-Sefer.
Pilot and payload, yes. Rasiel also has the same color scheme as 00 Gundam. But I meant design wise. Rasiel first has 2 GN Verniers and the GN Sefer looks much more like O Riser than GN Arms. The other 3 Gundams were built to be improvements of their predecessors but Exia wasn't around to have a direct successor.
rebel one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 14:53   Link #39
console65
GN Drive Specialist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel one View Post
Pilot and payload, yes. Rasiel also has the same color scheme as 00 Gundam. But I meant design wise. Rasiel first has 2 GN Verniers and the GN Sefer looks much more like O Riser than GN Arms. The other 3 Gundams were built to be improvements of their predecessors but Exia wasn't around to have a direct successor.
Exia didn't need to around. CB should have it's design specs on file.
__________________
"Continue the Destruction, Destroy the Rebirth."
console65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 15:09   Link #40
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel one View Post
Pilot and payload, yes. Rasiel also has the same color scheme as 00 Gundam. But I meant design wise. Rasiel first has 2 GN Verniers and the GN Sefer looks much more like O Riser than GN Arms. The other 3 Gundams were built to be improvements of their predecessors but Exia wasn't around to have a direct successor.
Actually, I think the color scheme for Rasiel is different (lighter blue, and more blue than white; Exia and 00 match). And I'm not too sure that it is a prototype for 00 Gundam. What sets the 00 Gundam apart from the others is the Twin Drive system, and I believe its been said that the GN-Verniers aren't the cones: Rasiel has two verniers alongside a single cone, while 00 has two cones. Contradictory. I'm not sure where the whole Rasiel 00 prototype connection came from, but mainly because I haven't been paying attention to the side stories. So I can't be too sure on the matter.
__________________
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.