AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-08, 00:35   Link #41
wao
OK.

OMG yes, I second the recommendations on Cosprayers. One has to ask why the hell they made this show and what the hell I was doing watching it. I think I just wanted to see how bad it gets... which is exactly what the OP wanted I believe. Do try it out, I remember it was a sort of running joke among some members of this forum

And frankly I'm sad that someone thinks the Hakkenden OVA is MST3K-mocking-level worthy - it's definitely not fantastic from a generl anime watcher's point of view and the historically wacky animation understandably turns most people off... but story- and direction-wise I thought it's quite solid - definitely a far, far cry from the kind of shit the OP is looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddwkc
GunDou Musashi (strange rating at ANN, 33 Masterpiece x 36 Worst Ever with little intermediary scores)
Believe me, if you are looking for absolutely horrid anime this will not waste your time (by which I mean it will waste your time like it was free money). It shouldn't take you too long to see why it is the Worst Ever Masterpiece
I actually wonder if there's anything worse than this. Anyone?

Thinking about Musashi, I don't know if the story is horrible (though nothing special I think) but animation-wise you're guaranteed some good stuff with Yoake Mae Yori Ruri Iro Na, and apparently Shinkyoku Soukai Polyphonica is pretty pants as well.
Old 2008-10-08, 01:10   Link #42
Last Sinner
For Gnomeregan!

Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Green Green - The art of jacking off, being raped by bears and other ecchi nonsense. Need I say more?
Bakutensu Dokuro-chan - The first few times someone gets their head smashed off followed by the silly little dance, it's amusing. It then grows irritating. As does every physical reference to pre-teen bodies and creating a word of pre-pube women. -_- Ick.
Rizelmane - Silly chick falling for stupid guy with ridiculous age gap, plus complete lack of humour or substance. Material sure to land Chris Hansen on your doorstep.
.hack//SIGN - If anime were nothing but pretty music videos, then perhaps this would have passed. But since it decides to be nothing but bland inanity for 24 episodes, driven by one of anime's most annoying emos and surrounded by other incompetent clowns, it then decides to do something in the final 2. This was supposed to be an RPG-like series. This is anything but.
Android Anna Maico 2010 - Made cheaply, never interesting. Even the characters in it seem eternally ticked off about being brought to existence in this. A good indicator.
Blood: The Last Vampire - For movie-length crassness that is neither thrilling, intriguing or gory, look no further than here.
Bottle Fairy - Cuteness that has simply nothing underneath its sugar-coated exterior. Loses its edge after one episode and never regains it.
Dragonball Z - Posturing, stalling and ranting completely devoid of machismo, progression or thrills. When you can skip 30 episodes and still understand what's going on with ease, that's never a good sign. Still, at least it gave us Over 9000.
Excel Saga - The perfect guide on how to develop permanent brain damage.
Evangelion - Don't Mention The War
Gokusen - As fighting and mafia anime goes, this is good at neither. Amusing for its early stages, then falls into a carbon copy mode that each episode follows without fail.
Great Teacher Onizkua - Tries too hard. If it reigned itself in, it'd be watchable. Instead, it looks like five cents, sounds like two cents and plays out like ten cents.
Ground Defense Force Mao-chan - An initially amusing series that takes character types from Azumanga Daioh and puts them in a generic, plotless series.
Gunslinger Girl (especially season 2) - One of the worst conversions from manga to anime ever. Season 2 is so uterrly abysmal it feels as if the very souls of the characters have been sucked dry. They look even worse.
Happy Lesson - A very prediactable, generic harem anime that has no form of point or resolution. Little effort was put into it and it shows.
Love Hina - How on earth could one of the best mangas of all time be turned into such crass that barely resembles the original and does complete injustice to its characters?! The beginning of the demise of XEBEC.
Mahou Shoujo Tai Alice - *shiver* Just....bad....
Noir - A series that showed so much potential and had a good concept. Yet it seemed to have a half-life of an episode. If one needs an example of how to kill action and suck the life out of what could have been a good series, just ask Bee Train. They never disappoint to fail.
Photon - 6 episodes of sheer crapluence. One of those series that kind of seemed like a good idea at a time because it seemed good and being bad. Then after you realise it's just really bad.
Read or Die TV (series) - There is a reason the original manga was dropped several times. It was done poorly and this series is no exception. Predictable, pathetic character development, crass atmosphere. A real pity since the original OVA still stands as one of the best OVAs ever.
Samurai Deeper Kyo - Another example of decency being lost in the anime to manga conversion. Guilty of time wasting, lack of atmosphere, a glut of characters and other cardinal sins that stack up too easily. A very poor representation of what is a long and decent manga.
Doki Doki School Hours - An Azumanga Daioh-like clone that lacks interesting characters or humour, except for when it delves into the dastardly realms. Shame.
Shrine of the Morning Mist - If one needs to find a textbook definition of mind-numbongly boring, this is it. Slow, devoid of action, uninteresting. I could go on, but why bother?
Speed Grapher - What looked like being one of the most novel and unique series of the decade ended up being so utterly apthetic, underfunded, sickening, wasteful and just plain insulting. There is a reason why magazines and websites that hyped this series soon regretted it - it's bad. Very bad. Why I actually bothered seeing this through, I will never know. If one can find a more predictable series, let me know. Or one that looks like it was drawn by two-year olds. Gonzo really messed their budget plans that year. This was one of the forms of evidence.
Steel Angel Kurumi - It tries to be action, harem, ecchi, even yuri. It fails at all of them. A reasonable idea for a story but so poorly executed. Guilty of everything that makes bad ecchi/harem series utterly detestable.
Stellvia - What can one expect for a series funded by a brothel? It was actually decent for 13 episodes. Then when extended to 26 episodes, it degenerates into pure drivel. Driven by crybabies that drive one insane, emos that have no redeeming features, lolis which make one worry that Chris Hansen is about to enter the room.
Wolf's Rain - Given a decent budget, great musical talent and a great idea....how did it go so utterly wrong? Simply because it was executed so very poorly. Characters that become utterly detestable and uninteresting. A story that seems to go nowhere for most of the series. An ending that is just predictable and which you could have seen from the beginnning. A waste and one to forget from what was a good year in anime.

Last edited by Last Sinner; 2008-10-08 at 08:16. Reason: My reasons behind the list
Old 2008-10-08, 05:49   Link #43
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

The list above contains some good animes and one specifically asked by the OP to not be recommended. Also, what about the "Give Reasons, Not Lists!" thingie?

Well, for me, a good bad anime would be something like Armageddon (幻魔大戦) made by none other than Katsuhiro Otomo himself, a few years before Akira came out. It's just underwhelming at the best of it, even if some action scenes have some nice beats to it.
I'm sure I'll think of something else later - and some suggestions here already seem to take the cake.

Old 2008-10-08, 05:58   Link #44
X10A_Freedom

You're Under Arrest: Full Throttle (Season 3)
The colour palette is off and the animation can get so bad the stuttery frames actually gave me headaches. It also makes a huge waste of the extraordinary talents that the characters posess.
http://veniceorigination.blogspot.com
Old 2008-10-08, 08:19   Link #45
Last Sinner
For Gnomeregan!

Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
The list above contains some good animes and one specifically asked by the OP to not be recommended. Also, what about the "Give Reasons, Not Lists!" thingie?
Amended my post. I found it hard to be completely polite regarding those series. I found a way eventually. But the above all made me feel ill while watching them and regret every second of my time that I wasted on them. Plus I am in very good company for those thoughts on all those series in the anime comminity in my state.

Good, in terms of the quality of a series, is a point which is heavily dependent on what one believes in, values, is interested in and likes. However, everything I listed are things that my IRL friends are in agreeance with. So I think I'm being fair.
Old 2008-10-09, 01:44   Link #46
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Amended my post. I found it hard to be completely polite regarding those series. I found a way eventually. But the above all made me feel ill while watching them and regret every second of my time that I wasted on them. Plus I am in very good company for those thoughts on all those series in the anime comminity in my state.

Good, in terms of the quality of a series, is a point which is heavily dependent on what one believes in, values, is interested in and likes. However, everything I listed are things that my IRL friends are in agreeance with. So I think I'm being fair.
I apologize if I sound like I'm putting words in the OP's mouth, but I have a feeling you've completely misunderstood the level of quality the OP is looking for.

I excel at sounding like a broken record, so have a look at one of the anime I recommended him, Gundou Musashi. Granted, this is about top-class in its category so it's a bit of an unfair comparison, but this is only the tip of the iceberg for this anime:

Does anything on your list even get anywhere to that? Not even Doki Doki School Hours, methinks. I hope you understand the levels of shit we are talking about here.
Old 2008-10-09, 02:02   Link #47
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I hate to say it, but I think this is another example of a suggestion thread where the OP has made an overly ambiguous request so we're pretty much getting shotgun answers. As far as I could see, OP was asking for titles with very little in the way of redeeming value. But a lot of the titles in this thread have fairly obvious redeeming values or are little more than merely mediocre, but hardly horrible.

I'm not really interested in adding any more anti-recommendations to this thread (I've just about maintained an entire website for something like three years on making anti-recommendations) but I do want to bring up that it's been suggested that Musashi Gundou has camp value. I don't know personally, I haven't seen it, but I've been hanging out for subs since it first got released.
Old 2008-10-09, 04:51   Link #48
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
I hate to say it, but I think this is another example of a suggestion thread where the OP has made an overly ambiguous request so we're pretty much getting shotgun answers. As far as I could see, OP was asking for titles with very little in the way of redeeming value. But a lot of the titles in this thread have fairly obvious redeeming values or are little more than merely mediocre, but hardly horrible.

I'm not really interested in adding any more anti-recommendations to this thread (I've just about maintained an entire website for something like three years on making anti-recommendations) but I do want to bring up that it's been suggested that Musashi Gundou has camp value. I don't know personally, I haven't seen it, but I've been hanging out for subs since it first got released.
I tried to be the less ambiguous possible. I gave examples to make it as clear as possible. I even set a level: Violence Jack. Something of that level. My intention wasn't this be some kind of bash topic, just wanted something really obscure or infamously bad (although if it's infamous I'll probably know).

About Musashi Gundou, I just found the first episode, kinda hard to find. "Too bad" they didn't license this one.
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
Old 2008-10-09, 06:40   Link #49
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Well I'm not sure what's happened but there's been a miscommunication somewhere. I think I have a fair idea what you wanted, but there have been so many replies in this thread where people have named an anime and then not more than a sentence later described its redeeming values. And then there have been replies like Haruhi and other popular series that aren't irredeemable, merely controversial, which is exactly the type of thing you didn't want brought up when you gave your Evangelion example.

Maybe it is impossible to make a list of anime that are almost universally accepted as crap, but there have been too many replies in this thread that are completely out-of-place. I'm not sure why, if I were to gander a guess, it's because you used to word "good" in your thread title, and people didn't bother to read your complete post and thought you wanted "so bad it's good" titles.
Old 2008-10-09, 14:36   Link #50
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Maybe it is impossible to make a list of anime that are almost universally accepted as crap, but there have been too many replies in this thread that are completely out-of-place. I'm not sure why, if I were to gander a guess, it's because you used to word "good" in your thread title, and people didn't bother to read your complete post and thought you wanted "so bad it's good" titles.
Yeah, you probably spot on. Next time I will be more careful with the titles now on.
Old 2008-10-09, 17:41   Link #51
vorpal83

There is no Gunslinger Girl season 2. It'd be great if Madhouse animated it
Old 2008-10-09, 18:23   Link #52
james0246

Here is another list of shows that are generally reviled by the masses:

SD Gundam Force
Martial Arts Cooking Legend Bistro-Recipe
Strange Dawn
Beyblade
Tekken: The Motion Picture
Crying Freeman
Legend of Crystania
Eiken
Apocalypse Zero
Duel Masters
Wanna-Be's
Kimera
Reign: The Conqueror
The Super Milk-chan Show
D.I.C.E.

My next list will include more esoteric shows.
Old 2008-10-09, 22:24   Link #53
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorpal83 View Post
There is no Gunslinger Girl season 2. It'd be great if Madhouse animated it
There is. Its called gunslinger girl Teatrino.
Old 2008-10-10, 00:51   Link #54
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
There is. Its called gunslinger girl Teatrino.
Meh, even though sarcasm is hard to detect over the Internet, I sort of agree with this sarcasm.
Old 2008-10-10, 02:50   Link #55
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Lotsa anime I didn't watch. Tekken is really bad. Beyblade is kinda ok if you are a retarded kid. Crying Freeman I somewhat enjoyed it, but probably would put it at same level as MD Geist. Crystania is poor man's Lodoss. Badly executed anime.
Old 2008-10-11, 16:17   Link #56
jonathan614

worst

"once upon a time"
haven't seen the windaria fansub original, but in no rush
Old 2008-10-11, 16:25   Link #57
Yaoi_Daisuki
少年愛

I got to agree dragonuat is real bad. Probably one of the crappiest junk i ever seen.

weak storyline with ugly character design, on top of that with some failed fan service attempt. Whats more can you ask for?
Old 2008-10-11, 20:10   Link #58
jonathan614

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
I apologize if I sound like I'm putting words in the OP's mouth, but I have a feeling you've completely misunderstood the level of quality the OP is looking for.

I excel at sounding like a broken record, so have a look at one of the anime I recommended him, Gundou Musashi. Granted, this is about top-class in its category so it's a bit of an unfair comparison, but this is only the tip of the iceberg for this anime:

Does anything on your list even get anywhere to that? Not even Doki Doki School Hours, methinks. I hope you understand the levels of shit we are talking about here.

this is awesome ... what is this anime!!!!! the fight scenes, the character designs & development, the story, the social commentary.... this anime has none of it
Old 2008-11-10, 21:06   Link #59
Thyrz
Laidback Luke

For some reason, I liked Melody of Oblivion[ http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl...anime&aid=1551 ]when it was being aired 4 years ago, I was only 17 years old. I was reminded of it when I watched Kino no Tabi. In a way, they're similar. I wouldn't have liked it if I watched it now for the first time. I guess I became an adult. :/
Old 2008-11-10, 21:47   Link #60
Silverwyrm

Dragonaut the Resonance.

Think about characters and plot development when you watch it, real train wreck there. We had a very lively thread on it simply because we coudlnt stop watching it it was so terrible, and of course great fun to make fun of and jab at every possible way.
Closed Thread