AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Toradora!

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-10-15, 03:10   Link #981
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
If thats true (2-cour), I'm quite impressed and happier.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 03:18   Link #982
rg4619
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
BTW, here's the link:

http://www.starchild.co.jp/special/t...lease_dvd.html

This should give them ample time to cover material in detail (even with original material, I guess), so let's hope they make good use of it.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 03:19   Link #983
Eczema
Ah! Pretty Shining Love!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Australia
so that means 24-26 eps right? great news.
__________________
Eczema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 04:35   Link #984
ayu
DUN.DDUN.DDDUN.
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
could it be that they are inserting only one episode into each volume after volume 1, making it a 12 episode series instead.
ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 04:43   Link #985
rg4619
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Not at those prices. Vol. 2-8 correspond with what you'd expect for three episodes per disc.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 06:34   Link #986
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Hmmm, not to derail into a Shana discussion .... but I don't think of either Louise or Shana as simply "abusive". However, I'd rank the characters as Louise -> Shana -> Taiga in terms of the pace of relationship progression from violence and anger to a more complex set of emotions.
Caveat: these are only the anime versions I'm assessing by. The manga/novels are quite a bit more complex.
The Shana comparison has always baffled me to be honest - while she is a tsundere, she isn't 'angry' (most she has done is shout the infamous urusai x 3 in a moment of embarrassment ... and if Yuuji would be quarter as perceptive as Ryuji, it likely wouldn't happen at all), and she most definitely isn't violent. (When was the last time she exercised random violence upon Yuuji? ... which is why i actually find Shana tolerable).

As for Toradora ... after the first episode i forced myself to watch 2, and found myself very pleasantly surprised. The characters showed unusual amounts of personality and development for only a second episode, and needless to say i am positively impressed by Taiga - originally expected her alone to be a reason enough to chase me far away from this show, but episode 2 poured unusual amounts of love (writing wise) in to her character. She got fleshed out, her background expanded, her random acts of violence heavily toned down and she displayed unusual amount of self-awareness regarding how she treats Ryuji and about the fact she isn't that great of a person. She has flaws. A lot of them. And she realized it, which makes her more human and sympathetic, instead of being simply someone you can't help but think needs a good slap on the head for being an ungrateful *****. They could have done without her little fit at the end, but never the less - if they can keep this level of characterization and growth intact, this could be something to look out for.


As for the current 'hot topic' .. i am neither a mange nor novel reader, and i consider the second episode to be nothing short of brilliant. It threw all my 'usual' bare-bones tsundere comedy expectations out the window and gave me actual meat to chew on instead. Whatever amount of the usual antics they skipped, i can only be grateful they did so - if episode 2 would have been used to hammer home the points about the characters we already learned in episode 1, i likely wouldn't have been around to care anymore by the time actual development rolled around. Episode 2 brought a lot of potential to what i already had almost written off as not worth my time, so i can only hope they manage to exercise that potential. Looking towards to ep3.
__________________
Skyfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 07:22   Link #987
pparker
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
The Shana comparison has always baffled me to be honest
There is very little to compare with Shana besides the seiyuu, regardless of the broad label of tsundere. Shana is what, 12 years old, when she gives up her humanity to become a familiar to a lord god of the universe? Alastor's biggest concern is Shana's reaching puberty. The comparative slow pace of her developing feelings is understandable, especially since prior to Yuji her only "love" was Alastor (as in a religious sense), and her social life was nonexistent. Her best friend mostly trained her within an inch of her life every day, except for the melon bread. She didn't even have a name prior to meeting Yuji, and her worldview unequivocally defines Yuji as a non-entity. This is about as far a cry from the universe of Toradora! as one can get. Neither Nagi or Louise compare much with Shana or Taiga either. Nagi is 13 and the show is otaku-targeted parody. Louise has simply worn out her welcome, and again the universe is completely different beyond there being a school involved, which is true with 80% of anime.



Not having read much about Toradora! or its source material, I did expect it to be more similar to one of the other three. It's good that it isn't. My only concern is that it is too much romance vs. comedy. Since the source material is popular, I assume the story is good, and so far the animation is certainly fine. I actually appreciate the accelerated pace of the relationship. Based on the couple of manga references shown here, I'm relieved that more time was NOT spent on angsty conversations in cafes. That to me is what would kill the series. If it becomes Clannad, then it's over.

Last edited by pparker; 2008-10-15 at 07:25. Reason: forgot something
pparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 07:33   Link #988
typhonsentra
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
Oh wow, so they will cover everything up to volume 8 eh? That's actually a little disappointing since that means my first impression for most of the series will be based on the anime rather than the books now. However it does mean this thread will get pretty freaking huge.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 08:23   Link #989
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
Minorin is ADHD poster child, Ryuji is a OCD standard bearer, Taiga has anti-social tendencies and soon to come Ami is a histrionic hedonist princess. Kitamura has god complex.

What is there not to love about this series?
Minorin's hyperactivity isn't really that bad, she rather reminds me of everyone's favourite "LOL-Fang-tan" Tsuruya-san of the Haruhi series, only more athletic.

Did someone say Toradora's gonna to be two-cours? With only 9 volumes of novels out, it's likely a lot of original stuff will be added, though while it didn't work that well for story-intensive series like Shana, it might just work for a comedy series like Toradora (and that is a big "might", seeing as this is JC Staff after all).
__________________
哀莫大於心死。
我對這裡的管理員的霸道與毫無準則的執法行為感到徹底失望﹗

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 08:24   Link #990
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Eczema: No one. If we ever get enough post per days, the forum fairies will magically conjure one for us.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 08:29   Link #991
xris
Just call me Ojisan
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: U.K. Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eczema View Post
If it's 20+ eps, it should definitely get one. 1000 posts already, and only two eps have aired. Who do we talk to about this?
Please stop posting about the creation of a new forum in the thread. We (the Mods and Admin) are well aware of the popularity and we will create such a forum if we consider it worthy. We certainly do not require off-topic posts to inform us of the obvious

As Anh_Minh states, the forum fairies will create a new forum if needed, all the sooner if they are not pestered by "when is it going to happen" posts.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 08:49   Link #992
b0nyb0y
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
As for the current 'hot topic' .. i am neither a mange nor novel reader, and i consider the second episode to be nothing short of brilliant. It threw all my 'usual' bare-bones tsundere comedy expectations out the window and gave me actual meat to chew on instead. Whatever amount of the usual antics they skipped, i can only be grateful they did so - if episode 2 would have been used to hammer home the points about the characters we already learned in episode 1, i likely wouldn't have been around to care anymore by the time actual development rolled around. Episode 2 brought a lot of potential to what i already had almost written off as not worth my time, so i can only hope they manage to exercise that potential. Looking towards to ep3.
As has been reiterated for so many times, there's a lot of 'actual meat' to chew on than has been shown so far -- so much that those who know about the fact wish the ep. would go slower so that it can fill most of the good stuff in instead of skipping it. That's the main reason why people keep mentioning about the fact that anime watchers missed lots of details. And that's why it has been mentioned that Toradora isn't just another stereotypical Tsundere comedy, as it has lots of character depths to begin with. So I'm not so sure what 'usual antics' people seem to worry/mention about here, since there's just about none of that in the first place.
b0nyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 09:20   Link #993
Peanutbutter
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Just picked this up and I must say I'm quite impressed. In just two episodes, they managed to develop the characters pretty well.

And 3 gals, 2 guys, now where have we seen that before?
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 09:36   Link #994
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0nyb0y View Post
As has been reiterated for so many times, there's a lot of 'actual meat' to chew on than has been shown so far -- so much that those who know about the fact wish the ep. would go slower so that it can fill most of the good stuff in instead of skipping it. That's the main reason why people keep mentioning about the fact that anime watchers missed lots of details. And that's why it has been mentioned that Toradora isn't just another stereotypical Tsundere comedy, as it has lots of character depths to begin with. So I'm not so sure what 'usual antics' people seem to worry/mention about here, since there's just about none of that in the first place.
As an anime watcher, i have no reason to care about the stuff that was left out. All i know is that i got a fairly praiseworthy episode 2 in terms of development, and i have hard time imagining what alternative there could be to make episode 2 just as savor-able to me. Episode 1 threaded a fairly typical tsundere comedy path, albeit with some subtle implications there is potentially more to come. Now this might appeal to some people - its a matter of taste after all, and i can understand why the premise alone would be appealing to some. But personally i loathe tsunderes and/or random violence or similar implications. This is why i am glad episode 2 is what it is - if the show would have continued down the same lane as episode 1 (random 'comedy' with no significant development, only more implications there 'might' be more to this), i would have hight-tailed it out of here, without bothering to stick around to find out whether the implications ever become anything more than just that.

I actually entered episode 2 with full intent to be annoyed and drop the show after it, as i thought the direction it was going to take as obvious (here is what i expected to happen - given the premise set in episode 1, i was expecting it to follow a 'plot' of *Ryuji is trying to help Taiga get closer to Kitamura for X (with X being around 5 at least) number of episodes, while she keeps failing miserably for one reason or another, keeps lashing out at Ryuji as result, all the while preventing him to pursue Minori and leeching off his cooking, likely not offering as much as a word of thanks in return, and calling him a dog that is supposed to serve her for good measure*) .... i was very unexpectedly (and pleasantly) surprised the episode didn't turn out as a minor variation of what i described above, and actually showed Taiga as someone that is not beyond hope yet, which is the sole reason i will be coming back for more.

Of course i might have just shot in the left field with my 'prediction' on how i expected the show to progress and maybe the source material isn't like anything described above, but if it is then i am glad it was skipped.

As an anime watcher, it boils down to this for me: i am in no position to give a flying rat's arse about whatever material is getting skipped, so i judge Toradora anime without any prejudice (aside in having an instant negative on my scale at start for being tsundere) , based only on what we have seen thus far ... and i believe it to be a quite commendable success thus far.
__________________
Skyfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 09:41   Link #995
Ryougi Shiki
私, オレ, lines of origin
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
As an anime watcher, it boils down to this for me: i am in no position to give a flying rat's arse about whatever material is getting skipped, so i judge Toradora anime without any prejudice (aside in having an instant negative on my scale at start for being tsundere) , based only on what we have seen thus far ... and i believe it to be a quite commendable success thus far.
You're missing her character development, that's all.

By watching the anime, it's like you're only seeing a tiny bit of her actual character. I mean, you could just go here and see what you're missing. It's not like it'd hurt you.


http://www.onemanga.com/Tora_Dora/
__________________
Ryougi Shiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 10:09   Link #996
npal
I desire Tomorrow!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: As far from reality as possible
Age: 32
Ah, actually no, he's not missing her character development. If it's not in the anime, as far as the anime is concerned, it's not there. When gameplayers/manga readers keep pointing out how much better or more detailed the original is or keep repeating how the details are not there or it could have been better is simply irrelevant to the anime. If they have to fill in for anime holes though, the anime has royally failed.

In that sense, if the character development would have made that much of a difference, it's not a reason to praise the manga, it's a reason to condemn the anime for being crippled.
__________________
npal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 10:11   Link #997
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
Ah, actually no, he's not missing her character development. If it's not in the anime, as far as the anime is concerned, it's not there. When gameplayers/manga readers keep pointing out how much better or more detailed the original is or keep repeating how the details are not there or it could have been better is simply irrelevant to the anime. If they have to fill in for anime holes though, the anime has royally failed.

In that sense, if the character development would have made that much of a difference, it's not a reason to praise the manga, it's a reason to condemn the anime for being crippled.
Good for me that I don't know the manga
mangalowres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 10:12   Link #998
Ryougi Shiki
私, オレ, lines of origin
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
Ah, actually no, he's not missing her character development. If it's not in the anime, as far as the anime is concerned, it's not there. When gameplayers/manga readers keep pointing out how much better or more detailed the original is or keep repeating how the details are not there or it could have been better is simply irrelevant to the anime. If they have to fill in for anime holes though, the anime has royally failed.

In that sense, if the character development would have made that much of a difference, it's not a reason to praise the manga, it's a reason to condemn the anime for being crippled.
For example, they missed the whole part where
Spoiler for tora:


Some of the stuff they skipped over made me say "The fuck is this shit?" out loud when it wasn't there.
__________________
Ryougi Shiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 10:22   Link #999
typhonsentra
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
Reading Skyfall's explanation for why he enjoyed the episode is breaking my heart. Him and a lot of the manga fans are going to be ticked off by her behavior in a few of the upcoming episodes.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 10:39   Link #1000
npal
I desire Tomorrow!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: As far from reality as possible
Age: 32
I really hope that's not the case. I had a terrible premonition watching ep 1 and while ep 2 was actually decent for a tsundere loli char, if I see more punching/inu lines, I'll go nuts. At least Ryuuji is pretty decent for a male in a tsundere loli anime, so I guess he might mend the situation.
__________________
npal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, romance, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.