AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

View Poll Results: Down with post counts?
Yes 47 53.41%
No 41 46.59%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-10, 17:51   Link #101
7thMethuselah

the first day without post count was really ankward but now I don't notice it anymore, also it looks to me there isn't too much of a fuss over the removal of this feature. I never did think there was alot of postwhoring going on however.
All in all it is just a fun informative option which has a nice place in the personal profile.

PS Seeing all the arguments about ppl with higher post count acting eletish vs those with a low post count, wouldn't it be logical to remove the join date as well? To avoid the "Ive been here longer than you n00b" kinda lines? Not that I've noticed alot of these but while we're at it seems logical to remove this as well (also I never unerstood why this was mentioned anywa )

Old 2004-05-10, 18:06   Link #102
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Thank god Animesuki is nothing like Relicnews. If there was really a reward system based on how many times you post, it's a sure fire way to encourage spam posting.
some boards can have post rewards and not be that spammy. they just get reset every month because of forum crashes.

Quote:
A rather silly method to get people to post(what... are they desperate for members?) as well as a poor method to pick the mods. I'd hate to be at the mercy of some 14 year old or younger kid that just posts alot.
it is however a measure of how often you are around/on these boards...

some other boards have a timer that says how long you have been on. does AS have one? (mebbe we just cant see it )
Old 2004-05-10, 18:13   Link #103
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
yeah, I was suprised to come back after a month or two and see no post count, but I don't think it's necessary. The join date is good enough. Or they could put in a Member number for those unsatisfied. It all really doesn't matter in the end.
Old 2004-05-10, 18:18   Link #104
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soconfused
Or they could put in a Member number for those unsatisfied. It all really doesn't matter in the end.
Everyone already has a member number but i guess since it's not exactly shown many people might not know about it...

SENIOR MEMBER 2 OF
"The so exclusive club, you cannot join, umm err, club!"

-established Oct 26, 2003-

Hate goes out to any imitations, relation, or blatant wanna-be of stated club
- The ONE and ORIGINAL -
Old 2004-05-10, 19:19   Link #105
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchop
Everyone already has a member number but i guess since it's not exactly shown many people might not know about it...
its just in order of who joined right?

it doesnt really matter till inactive people get knocked off the list.
Old 2004-05-10, 19:32   Link #106
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobobaggins
its just in order of who joined right?

it doesnt really matter till inactive people get knocked off the list.
Yeah i'm member #6176...so that just means i was the 6176th person to join

I dont know if people getting knocked off the list will do anything to the number though...Cause i think i've had the same number since the beginning...and stayed (at least i think i stayed) with that number after GHD deleted those never used names...

SENIOR MEMBER 2 OF
"The so exclusive club, you cannot join, umm err, club!"

-established Oct 26, 2003-

Hate goes out to any imitations, relation, or blatant wanna-be of stated club
- The ONE and ORIGINAL -
Old 2004-05-11, 00:20   Link #107
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobobaggins
some other boards have a timer that says how long you have been on. does AS have one? (mebbe we just cant see it )
Well even though you might not notice, I'm almost always online unless I lose my internet connection, that just make no point
I think a lot of people do so too
Old 2004-05-11, 00:43   Link #108
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchop
Yeah i'm member #6176...so that just means i was the 6176th person to join

I dont know if people getting knocked off the list will do anything to the number though...Cause i think i've had the same number since the beginning...and stayed (at least i think i stayed) with that number after GHD deleted those never used names...
Ha! Apparently because I'm member #3208, that makes me almost twice as important as you (because if you divide 6176 by two and add 120, it's equal to me). Seriously though, I think that if people are going to judge others based on a number, they should at least use the Join Date under my avatar. Though still not an accurate representation of the user, at least it's better than a post count (and even a member number).

Also, you're very right that your member number doesn't change, even when users before you are deleted. For instance, Mad Skillz, who is the third oldest member on the forum, has a member number of 15.
Old 2004-05-11, 00:59   Link #109
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
Uh... Um...hummm

DOWN WITH JOIN DATES!!!

*gets kicked in the face by everyone*

Or not....

Ya, Join dates and members numbers are fine by me. Although I don't fully know how to find a member's join number, I'm sure it has to do with the member list on our faithful tab.

I still don't see the reason why we need a number to go with our name though. I wonder if it would accomplish something good if we had the joined number right next to the name. Like...

Slade #9742(i don't really know my number yet)

It just wouldn't look very neat IMO.

In Remembrance - Founder of Sladism / Slade's Photobucket

Last edited by Slade; 2004-05-11 at 01:13. Reason: typos glore!
Old 2004-05-11, 06:39   Link #110
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade
Uh... Um...hummm

DOWN WITH JOIN DATES!!!

*gets kicked in the face by everyone*

Or not....

Ya, Join dates and members numbers are fine by me. Although I don't fully know how to find a member's join number, I'm sure it has to do with the member list on our faithful tab.

I still don't see the reason why we need a number to go with our name though. I wonder if it would accomplish something good if we had the joined number right next to the name. Like...

Slade #9742(i don't really know my number yet)

It just wouldn't look very neat IMO.
Your number is 11328...
The number isn't something that important : it's just the way it list the members profile on the urls.
I'm #6164, but that doesn't make that much sense, because it all comes from the forum, it's its way to list the members
And yeh I agree, I'll kick your face if you really said that
I think join date help to see if the person that just posted something is a new member or something, I try to be kinder to new members who do mistakes (well actually I'm always kind, aren't I? *glares at Slade, mouth open to bite him if he says something nasty*)
Old 2004-05-11, 06:52   Link #111
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Since the fate discussed by original topic has been determined, I'm going to close the thread. Looking at the recent posts, the subject has been wavering around a bit and I don't really see any real input now apart from the joke requests. Give it time and I'm sure someone will post a request that User Names should be banned from posts since they give undue influence over the interpretation of a posts content.

And just to wrap up, we have no intention of making any further changes in the near future. Post Counts will remain visible on the Public Profile, Join Date and Location will remain on the posts.
Old 2004-05-11, 18:25   Link #112
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Though I am hoping that GHDpro will figure out how to put gender next to the reputation icon so we can all figure out what pronouns (or lack thereof) to use without having to call up their profile. Unforunately it is proving a trifle difficult and he is rather busy.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Closed Thread