AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-10-26, 20:19   Link #541
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: middle of nowhere, Virginia
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Humans only use 10% of their brain in their lifespan and Index was left with 15%. Even if she runs around for a year, there is no need for a reset in theory. The reason for the reset is suspect imo.
Er, if you meant that in relation to how the brain is said to work in the Index-universe (as the next ep will no doubt explain), fine; perfect memory is a huge information overload, but this can fall under suspension of disbelief. Otherwise...

TVTropes - Ninety Percent of Your Brain
__________________
KaneDragon is offline  
Old 2008-10-26, 20:27   Link #542
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
There are people with "perfect memories" or "photographic memories" running around now. No reports of people dying within a year. It's a suspicious reason. Suspension of disbelief won't cover this one especially in a city of science.

Besides, your life functions are autonomic. Information overload would not affect it in theory.
__________________
orion is offline  
Old 2008-10-26, 20:30   Link #543
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: middle of nowhere, Virginia
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Suspension of disbelief won't cover this one especially in a city of science.
Ahem. We have magicians, holy clothing, esper powers, and so forth. Yes, suspension of disbelief still applies.
__________________
KaneDragon is offline  
Old 2008-10-26, 20:39   Link #544
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Not when basic science principles are in violation. You can rewrite things but you can't rewrite basic human anatomy and physiology principles. The autonomic nervous system does not function differently in Index's universe as the manga-ka would not have thought that much about it. He conveniently used the number 15 instead of 5 so we know he did some research.

So I'll just wait and see on this one.
__________________
orion is offline  
Old 2008-10-26, 20:51   Link #545
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Not when basic science principles are in violation. You can rewrite things but you can't rewrite basic human anatomy and physiology principles. The autonomic nervous system does not function differently in Index's universe as the manga-ka would not have thought that much about it. He conveniently used the number 15 instead of 5 so we know he did some research.

So I'll just wait and see on this one.
Indeed. The show is science vs superstition.
ReddyRedWolf is offline  
Old 2008-10-26, 20:55   Link #546
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: middle of nowhere, Virginia
Age: 28
Calling esper powers "science" is a stretch, though--in our universe if not in theirs. But this is getting off track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
The autonomic nervous system does not function differently in Index's universe
My protest against your "humans only use 10% of their brains" stands. Did you bother clicking my link? TVTropes though it may be, that article has a good explanation. You can't expect to hold any amount of scientific credibility the moment you say that humans can live just fine with 85% of their brain (effectively) removed from their heads.

I'm not trying to apply this to this series (I know what happens next, but I don't want to post manga/novel spoilers here); I'm only bringing it up because you were applying it to real life.
__________________
KaneDragon is offline  
Old 2008-10-26, 21:04   Link #547
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: edge of my dream in the land of twilight...ZzzZzZ
Episode 3

This episode had just a bit too much drama for me and because of this it was rather boring. I thought this Kanzaki character was a cold, emotionless, and calculating person but it turns out she get's rather emotional easily.

I hope the next episode is the turning point for this anime. I wanna know more about the world, magic and science in this anime. Not more, "She was my friend and had to [insert spoiler]to safe her, yada yada blah blah etc etc" drama.
__________________
Wandering_Youth is offline  
Old 2008-10-26, 21:27   Link #548
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
Calling esper powers "science" is a stretch, though--in our universe if not in theirs. But this is getting off track.


My protest against your "humans only use 10% of their brains" stands. Did you bother clicking my link? TVTropes though it may be, that article has a good explanation. You can't expect to hold any amount of scientific credibility the moment you say that humans can live just fine with 85% of their brain (effectively) removed from their heads.

I'm not trying to apply this to this series (I know what happens next, but I don't want to post manga/novel spoilers here); I'm only bringing it up because you were applying it to real life.

Well using wiki would have given more credibility.TV Tropes isn't much fun to me and I did glance at it. Since the manga-ka is applying the same general principle/widely known misconception and used the number 15, there still is something up imo.

Applying it to "real life" is sort of what's happening here. The gist is that thru information overload Index will suffer brain damage to the extent that her autonomic functions will cease which is about as wrong as things can get. So to justify it, they do a memory erase yearly which runs a risk of causing death to Index thru secondary means. Not knowing how to survive in an environment or language issues etc. She survives this only because there are caretakers present at the time of the memory wipe to "ensure" her safety.

Look at Index at the end of this episode.
Spoiler:
__________________

Last edited by orion; 2008-10-26 at 21:39.
orion is offline  
Old 2008-10-26, 21:47   Link #549
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: middle of nowhere, Virginia
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Look at Index at the end of this episode.
No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
I'm not trying to apply this to this series (I know what happens next, but I don't want to post manga/novel spoilers here)
And you don't need to spoiler tag ep 4 anymore, since it has been subbed...
__________________
KaneDragon is offline  
Old 2008-10-26, 22:04   Link #550
[Sakuretsu]
(・ω・)
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Spoiler for Ep 4:

Last edited by [Sakuretsu]; 2008-10-26 at 22:20. Reason: Rub a dub , thanks for the grub
[Sakuretsu] is offline  
Old 2008-10-26, 22:04   Link #551
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Look at Index at the end of this episode.
Spoiler:
I don't think they said she'd die in 3 days, just that the memory erasure ritual would happen in three days, and that without it she'd die. Given what we've seen of magic and the intensive preparation necessary, I wouldn't be surprised if she actually had another half-year of life but the ritual could only be done on a certain day every year. In which she wouldn't necessarily look near death right before the ritual. So I don't this evidence holds much water.

And I also disagree with your notions of the brain. Why would one piece of misinformation about the brain have any more weight than another piece? If you believe the author subscribes to the "10% of the brain" myth why would we think he knows anything about how the brain works? It's just fiction anyway.

Last edited by Clarste; 2008-10-26 at 22:27.
Clarste is offline  
Old 2008-10-26, 22:26   Link #552
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well since Index's memorization is supernatural in nature shouldn't being around Touma prevent her from memorizing every single detail as was the concern? If she can't memorize everything then she's not filling up her head at a dangerous rate. His right hand can interfere with magic if he's in the vacinity and can cancel out various things. Maybe its a stretch, but want to put some faith in that right hand. Memory wipe once a year doesn't really solve much, but only keeps things going for another year that she isn't going to remember. At any rate things will get more interesting in the next episode with time being up.

But unless he wants to get his ass kicked again Touma is going to need some help. He can't do anything against the sword+wire combo thing. Now the fire blasts are things he can take care of.

Think if this job is something they can't handle anymore someone else in the church should be left to take care of Index. Whole thing seems to have gone into a love/hate relationship. They care about Index, but apparently not enough to keep from terrifying her and chasing her around the place. What kind of year of living is that supposed to be?

Anyways loved the line "Apparently you see Stiyl as an enemy." Well yeah considering he almost burned the dorm down and tried to kill Touma. I don't think we're leaving the realm of expected to see Stiyl in that fashion .
__________________
FlareKnight is offline  
Old 2008-10-26, 22:43   Link #553
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: middle of nowhere, Virginia
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Well since Index's memorization is supernatural in nature shouldn't being around Touma prevent her from memorizing every single detail as was the concern?
...Er, I have a problem with that statement, but I can't say what because I'm not supposed to post novel/manga spoilers in here, even tagged. I don't want to go to the novel thread, though, because I want to avoid spoilers past where the manga has been scanlated (not much more than the first arc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Anyways loved the line "Apparently you see Stiyl as an enemy." Well yeah considering he almost burned the dorm down and tried to kill Touma. I don't think we're leaving the realm of expected to see Stiyl in that fashion .
I never get tired of complaining about this. I mean, seriously, Firestarter was freaking trying to kill this random kid who (as far as he knew) was just weaksauce. For no reason, except maybe lulz. Those fireballs were at the melting point of lead. That's no warning shot.
__________________
KaneDragon is offline  
Old 2008-10-26, 22:51   Link #554
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
...Er, I have a problem with that statement, but I'm not supposed to post novel/manga spoilers in here, even tagged. I don't want to go to the novel thread, though, because I want to avoid spoilers past where the manga has been scanlated (not much more than the first arc).
Guess I'll just have to wait some episodes to see how things get handled. Kind of tough throwing questions out there that probably have answers, but can't actually be answered without spoiling everything one way or the other. Suppose a problem could be related to Touma's hand working based on proximity. While it would impact the healing magic it didn't really stop the fire until he blocked directly with it.
Quote:
I never get tired of complaining about this. I mean, seriously, Firestarter was freaking trying to kill this random kid who (as far as he knew) was just weaksauce. For no reason, except maybe lulz. Those fireballs were at the melting point of lead. That's no warning shot.
One heck of a warning shot if it was one. Send some random guy to a hospital or the morgue. Was a bit surprised he didn't walk past and roast Touma's unconcious body . But makes sense after that they needed him alive to keep Index in one place until the moment they would wipe her memory.
__________________
FlareKnight is offline  
Old 2008-10-26, 22:56   Link #555
tbl
Affably Evil
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hammerspace or Australia, I forget which
Wouldn't a video camera solve a lot of problems?
__________________
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

tbl is offline  
Old 2008-10-26, 23:02   Link #556
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: middle of nowhere, Virginia
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Well using wiki would have given more credibility.TV Tropes isn't much fun to me and I did glance at it.
Wikipedia lists the "10% of the brain" thing as a misconception, as well. Again, all I'm saying is that is not true in reality. I wasn't citing TVTropes as an authoritarian source, I was pointing to them for the simple logical argument on that page against the nonsense you refuse to let go of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbl View Post
Wouldn't a video camera solve a lot of problems?
And now I am finally reminded of ef.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Suppose a problem could be related to Touma's hand working based on proximity. While it would impact the healing magic it didn't really stop the fire until he blocked directly with it.
Yeah. Touma's hand would require constant direct contact, and holding hands forever--even with a pretty foreign loli--just isn't feasible.

Index's "perfect memory" might be just a natural talent, in which case there's nothing Touma would be able to do with his hand.
__________________

Last edited by KaneDragon; 2008-10-27 at 08:45.
KaneDragon is offline  
Old 2008-10-26, 23:54   Link #557
Mega-Japan
Capuchuuuuuuuuuu!!!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York
Send a message via AIM to Mega-Japan Send a message via Yahoo to Mega-Japan
Damn episode 04 ended in such a tempting moment! Touma is one heck of a guy, I love him as a main character, this episode made me feel lots of respect for him. Those magicians can all die for all I care, tehehe. Overall, super special awesome episode.
__________________
Mega-Japan is offline  
Old 2008-10-27, 00:36   Link #558
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 28
^That's not a spoiler for episode 4... Please remark it as a novel or manga spoiler. Just because you've been spoiled doesn't mean you can spoil others.
Clarste is offline  
Old 2008-10-27, 00:38   Link #559
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 30
Wow, if we are going to have long winded talking fights, its really nice to have a protagonist with nice rhetorical skills that can outalk his enemy despite being a brawl fighter for a change (even if his reasoning is full of straw mans, but it worked). Props to the producers for being original in this respect
Proto is offline  
Old 2008-10-27, 00:42   Link #560
Utau
Butler mitai~
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 智代の部屋
Send a message via MSN to Utau
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
^That's not a spoiler for episode 4... Please remark it as a novel or manga spoiler. Just because you've been spoiled doesn't mean you can spoil others.
oh-- my bad. i got carried away by the pv

changed, sorry.
__________________


Status Quo: MIA
Utau is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
fantasy, magic, science fiction, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.