AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 14 14.43%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 34.02%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 20.62%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 15.46%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 10.31%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 3.09%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.03%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.03%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-10-27, 21:23   Link #121
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
The more I look at the 4 episodes to date -- the more out of place episode 3 looks. Looking up the directors for each episode to see if my suspicions hold ...
Vexx is offline  
Old 2008-10-27, 21:28   Link #122
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The more I look at the 4 episodes to date -- the more out of place episode 3 looks. Looking up the directors for each episode to see if my suspicions hold ...
Here's a hint: Episode 3's filler spun off from the scene just before Taiga and Ryuuji meet Ami, and is mostly anime-original. That may explain why it feels out of place.
Haesslich is offline  
Old 2008-10-27, 22:22   Link #123
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Cor' bloody hell, the end credits are kanji thick even for an ED. All I've been able to snare in the way of directing so far is Tatsuyuki Nagai as one of the directors (?).
If ep 3 is mostly anime-only then that illuminates the weird turn towards extreme physical violence which made poor sense after episode 2 (and then it vanished again in ep 4). Verbal combat between Ryuuji and Taiga just makes more sense to me in the context of the anime's first two eps.

But I also got the feeling that whomever got assigned ep 3 may have been a director with lesser skill as well. Meh, got too much else to translate -- maybe someone will dive into the end credits and figure out who is directing which episode (if it even provides that detail).
Vexx is offline  
Old 2008-10-27, 22:55   Link #124
Spring_sakura111
Kanashimi o mukou eto~!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pizza
Ooh..Now that I've read all your insights about Episode 04 compared to episode 03, no wonder I felt nothing when I watched Episode 03.
Spring_sakura111 is offline  
Old 2008-10-27, 23:54   Link #125
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
If you've seen me ranting and raving around the Intarwebs at various blogs about Episode 3... now you know why. And for some reason, people ENJOYED watching Taiga try to kill Ryuuji, even though it felt out of place after the verbal sparring and the introspective tone of the first two episodes.

Eh, I guess a lot of people don't have a sense of taste, or wits enough to recognize "One Of These Things Is Not Like the Other". Nice to see that people who haven't met the source material could see the flaw in that ep, though - which is why I'm concerned for the show if that writer/director takes up more episodes later on. They could turn a decent show into the next Cabbage Love, if they're not careful.
Haesslich is offline  
Old 2008-10-28, 01:29   Link #126
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
They could've put it into Episode 3 too... but here? It just felt a bit out of place, even if it explains WHY Taiga likes Kitamura at all. Cause, y'know, he's not exactly the most attractive or visibly 'nice guy' out there since we're following Ryuuji all the time. At least with this explanation put back in, we've been given some context to why things worked out the way they did.

And of course, to show that tsundere responses don't necessarily get the guys. Sometimes... they just don't work, as appears to be the case with Kitamura and Taiga. Now she's dere-dere for him, but he's not apparently interested.
I don't know about physical attractiveness, but he's apparently smart, athletic, confident, ambitious (student council), has a good sense of humor, etc etc. It's not too surprising he'd be popular, just from listing his attributes.
Clarste is offline  
Old 2008-10-28, 02:01   Link #127
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
I don't know about physical attractiveness, but he's apparently smart, athletic, confident, ambitious (student council), has a good sense of humor, etc etc. It's not too surprising he'd be popular, just from listing his attributes.
And since when did we see that, or hear anyone talk about 'smart, athletic, confident, ambitious, good sense of humor' in the first few episodes? Nowhere. We know him only as Ryuuji's friend, and barely see him except as 'oh, Taiga wrote a note to him'. That's all from the novels, really... which if you're a new viewer unfamiliar with the original material, you wouldn't know.

Without any of that data available to put things in context, what would Taiga have seen in him to make her confess by episode two? That's the thing that bothered me about how they dropped important things out of the adaptation... but at least that got put back in here, since it IS important, and having her notice those qualities (thus introducing the audience to them) is important. Especially with a whole bunch of bloggers who don't know the novels thinking Kitamura's either bland, or an insensitive asshole for turning Taiga down with the 'let's be friends' line.. all based on the anime presentation.
Haesslich is offline  
Old 2008-10-28, 14:23   Link #128
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
No one had to explicitly list those components.
Kitamura is active in school politics, plays on the baseball team (quite well), is popular, and exhibits a sense of humor that is almost twisted - all shown in the first 4 eps. You can develop the list from that without someone actually having to say it.

Now as for being Ryuuji's buddy.... they really haven't shown them hanging out together at all other than Ryuuji assuming that eating lunch together was a fun idea and the way they easily chatter about personal subjects.

It was a year between Kitamura's confession and Taiga's confession (anime only data), but I'll certainly agree putting off the explanation til ep 4 was kind of odd. Again, I'll blame the insertion of ep 3 before rather than after ep 4 (and the ep 3 contents).

The ep 3 contents seemed to have derailed quite a number of developing motifs (including exposition of Kitamura's character) .... ep 3 should have been deferred til after the contents of ep 4 (and rewritten a bit as well but that's another topic).

There's nothing particularly wrong with using red herrings or in misleading viewers to make the truth more surprising.... but there needs to be actual foreshadowing *somewhere* so that more discerning viewers can say "ah ha, I knew it". People took Kitamura's shutdown of Taiga's confession in several ways - for me, my immediate reaction was that he was rather directly telling her that she was being more her True Self when she spoke of Ryuuji and that he preferred seeing her this way ----- i.e. "you silly girl, its my friend Ryuuji you should be chasing".

I was running ep 4 this morning at breakfast --- it occurred to me that Taiga is already subconsciously falling for Ryuuji. She associates him with food and good feelings in her dreams Food is an ancient bonding technique

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-10-28 at 14:44.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2008-10-28, 17:16   Link #129
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
No one had to explicitly list those components.
Kitamura is active in school politics, plays on the baseball team (quite well), is popular, and exhibits a sense of humor that is almost twisted - all shown in the first 4 eps. You can develop the list from that without someone actually having to say it.

Now as for being Ryuuji's buddy.... they really haven't shown them hanging out together at all other than Ryuuji assuming that eating lunch together was a fun idea and the way they easily chatter about personal subjects.

It was a year between Kitamura's confession and Taiga's confession (anime only data), but I'll certainly agree putting off the explanation til ep 4 was kind of odd. Again, I'll blame the insertion of ep 3 before rather than after ep 4 (and the ep 3 contents).

The ep 3 contents seemed to have derailed quite a number of developing motifs (including exposition of Kitamura's character) .... ep 3 should have been deferred til after the contents of ep 4 (and rewritten a bit as well but that's another topic).

There's nothing particularly wrong with using red herrings or in misleading viewers to make the truth more surprising.... but there needs to be actual foreshadowing *somewhere* so that more discerning viewers can say "ah ha, I knew it". People took Kitamura's shutdown of Taiga's confession in several ways - for me, my immediate reaction was that he was rather directly telling her that she was being more her True Self when she spoke of Ryuuji and that he preferred seeing her this way ----- i.e. "you silly girl, its my friend Ryuuji you should be chasing".

I was running ep 4 this morning at breakfast --- it occurred to me that Taiga is already subconsciously falling for Ryuuji. She associates him with food and good feelings in her dreams Food is an ancient bonding technique
Really, what did we see of Kitamura, really? We only knew he was with the Student Council because Taiga had to chase him to present cookies - and which led to the Stairwell Incident. The pacing's been pretty fast so far (all of Volume 1 of novel and manga in the first two eps, then the filler in 3)... and as you pointed out, it 'derailed' things due to the way it really didn't follow up (or present) any of the elements from the first two eps.. but which reappeared suddenly in Episode 4. Hell, the existence of filler by episode 3 seems like a huge mistake given that you usually use filler because you're running out of material to animate/adapt, or because you've got 52 episodes and need to stretch out the budget.

But the twisted sense of humor? Nothing showed it in Eps 1-2. Ditto the baseball thing. All of those showed up later (episode 3 for the baseball filler, and I'm not sure you'd consider that weird SD grin to be an example of twisted humor given that he was congratulating Taiga and Ryuuji on their hookup), or are barely inferred. They could've dropped the hint about Kitamura's confession last year earlier (episode 2 would've been great, for example)... and then everything else would've made more sense, or at least those elements would've come together a lot more naturally than the 'Ms. Exposition' version that we got here. About the only really solid thing was that Ryuuji said that he and Kitamura hung out, and that Kitamura was his best riend at school - again thanks to the introspective train-of-thought narration from the first two eps.

Still, they could've put in the part about the confession in Kitamura's rejection speech, and that would've flowed well with that scene in particular - especially when he was pointing out she acted 'funny' around Ryuuji more than anyone else. Or even in her thoughts when he was rejecting her, so we'd have that internal narration of denial over the (gentle) refusal explaining why she was chasing so hard after Kitamura at all. Especially for a girl whose reputation around the school bests Ryuuji's as far as 'if you cross her path, you will DIE' goes.
Haesslich is offline  
Old 2008-10-28, 18:46   Link #130
Terzo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
So I thought I noticed something but maybe I'm imagining things....

When Taiga was looking through the photos at Ryuji's house she paused at one, and proceeded to get angry at Ryuji. They showed the picture for a second and I thought it looked like Ryuji. It made sense to me, since that would explain her getting flustered about him, but no one else has mentioned it.

Am I misreading this?
Terzo is offline  
Old 2008-10-28, 19:15   Link #131
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Interesting.... will check after dinner.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2008-10-28, 19:57   Link #132
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Location
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terzo View Post
So I thought I noticed something but maybe I'm imagining things....

When Taiga was looking through the photos at Ryuji's house she paused at one, and proceeded to get angry at Ryuji. They showed the picture for a second and I thought it looked like Ryuji. It made sense to me, since that would explain her getting flustered about him, but no one else has mentioned it.

Am I misreading this?
Isn't that Kitamura in there? The person in the photograph has green hair, and it looks like he's wearing glasses.

Here:

Unless the picture behind it has any relevance, though I can't make out what it is, and I doubt that:


Or maybe she just got angry/sad because the overload of Kitamura reminds her of the Kitamura that day, and Ryuuji was the closest person she could take it out on.
__________________

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga

Last edited by teachopvutru; 2008-10-28 at 20:07.
teachopvutru is offline  
Old 2008-10-28, 20:36   Link #133
CrowKenobi
Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: there... just there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terzo View Post
When Taiga was looking through the photos at Ryuji's house she paused at one, and proceeded to get angry at Ryuji. They showed the picture for a second and I thought it looked like Ryuji. It made sense to me, since that would explain her getting flustered about him, but no one else has mentioned it.

Am I misreading this?
It wasn't the picture itself, but Taiga's inability to choose which pictures of Kitamura she wanted to have Ryuji laminate (per his offer).

__________________



CrowKenobi is offline  
Old 2008-10-28, 20:50   Link #134
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
aye, yeah as others have noted, it is Kitamura's image. Her pause was that she'd been through the entire stack and not picked one, so she got flustered at her indecisiveness and defensive when Ryuuji asked what was wrong.

That would have been interesting though - if Ryuuji's image had been taken "by accident" but it is way too early for anything like that.

I will say that scene with Taiga looking at her photo collection as Ryuuji sits a cup of tea down is one of the cutest damn things... like a small squirrel beaming at her acorn horde. (ep4,15:25).

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-10-28 at 21:01.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2008-10-29, 04:39   Link #135
stormy001_M1A2
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Taiga was looking for the picture of Kitamura that wore same expression when he confessed to her on the roof 1 year ago. That's why she is frustrated when very picture that she wanted Ryuji to laminate did not exist despite dozens if not hundreds of photo snapped of him by her. Basically she is trying to recapture the "Kodak moment" that made her swoon, a pretty much reason why she have this obsession over him.
__________________
stormy001_M1A2 is offline  
Old 2008-10-29, 06:36   Link #136
Terzo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
I see, so I am misreading it.

And here I was thinking I was so clever
Terzo is offline  
Old 2008-10-29, 07:49   Link #137
typhonsentra
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
Heads-up: Episode 5 in a few hours.
typhonsentra is offline  
Old 2008-10-29, 12:15   Link #138
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Absolutely loving this show!

One thing I am really looking forward to is if Taiga does develop feelings for Ryuji. If that happens since Kitamura has exposed his feelings for Taija to Ryuji, it makes for a whole barrel of exciting things that could happen.

I want to eat that pudding too
__________________
grey_moon is offline  
Old 2008-10-29, 18:12   Link #139
destiny4everlove
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Episode 4

-Wow!!! So Ryuuji has a key to Taiga’s apartment!

-When Taiga said “wait a moment!” I thought that she was going to say something like “No, thank you!” afterwards , but she goes and says “How many can you take?” I didn’t see that coming at all!! That was so cute and funny.

-LOL!! "Ohha!!!" Taga is so adorable when Kitamura is near her.

-Taiga sure is the jealous type, isn’t she?

-LOL! Even teachers are afraid of Taiga.

-So the best way to make Taiga calm down is to put some food in her mouth.

-Ryuuji loves to clean, doesn’t he? He is so cute!!! LOL! “The Takasu Mould Buster”

-Taiga taking pictures of Kitamura playing baseball was so cute!!

-ROFL!!! Taiga’s technique for peeling potatoes was priceless!!

-When did Taiga take a picture of Ryuuji? Because there was one pic of him among the pics of Kitamura that Taiga had in her hands while they were drinking tea, or at least I think I saw one.

-Monori is so cute!!! And the pic of Minori and her bucket of pudding was so adorable!!

-What?!!! Kitamura also has a pic of Taiga?!! He confessed to her and she rejected him?!!! This was a big surprise indeed!!! I liked it!! In fact, I actually like the Kitamura x Taiga pairing.

-LOL!! Inko-chan speaking is hilarious!!!
__________________
Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan and for my awesome sig, Reverzer0!
destiny4everlove is offline  
Old 2008-10-29, 18:49   Link #140
Terzo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
-When did Taiga take a picture of Ryuuji? Because there was one pic of him among the pics of Kitamura that Taiga had in her hands while they were drinking tea, or at least I think I saw one.
It's actually a picture of Kitamura. I thought the same thing initially, but others have pointed out (just a few posts up actually) that it's not Ryuji.
Terzo is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.