AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-31, 03:04   Link #1
Darklord_bg
Hallowed Redeemer

Something like Baccano

I've recently finished Baccano, and I thought it was amazing, and I really don't understand why this show isn't more popular. It's like a hidden gem among the flurry of mediocre commercialized shows that come out these days.

So, I'm wondering if anyone knows a show similar to it. It has to be a show with a lot of different characters and several independent plot lines which eventually come together pretty nicely. Also, the many characters must all have a role to play instead of having just one character who carries out most of the action and the rest are just for filler.

So, anybody know any similar shows?
Old 2008-10-31, 12:06   Link #2
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Black Lagoon is the best place to start. Maybe Texhnolyze though it has the opposite of energy. Probably the slowest anime I can name. but still excellent.
Old 2008-10-31, 12:45   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Two of the fantasy Asian imperial dramas come to mind, Twelve Kingdoms and Saiunkoku Monogatari. While both focus primarily on their respective heroines, the other members of the casts play significant roles as well.

My other suggestion would be Monster. At some points the main character, Tenma Kenzo, doesn't appear at all for a considerable period of time as the focus shifts to other cast members.

None of these are "shoot-em-up" stories like Baccano!, though. While Black Lagoon is more like Baccano! in this regard, it's not as similar in its story development. BL consists of a number of story arcs with a few underlying plot themes, but it doesn't have much in the way of parallel story development with subsets of the cast like you're seeking.
Old 2008-10-31, 14:21   Link #4
AceD
See You En' Tee

black lagoon is the one you wanna watch

i love baccano and black lagoon, i think there both pretty popular
Old 2008-10-31, 15:20   Link #5
Zippicus

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that has parallel stories that come together at the end is Madlax, but it doesn't have a really big cast.
Old 2008-10-31, 17:33   Link #6
Last Sinner
Screw The Rules

Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
If you liked Baccano, it's likely you'll like Black Lagoon.
Old 2008-10-31, 18:13   Link #7
Rawgers
Nyaa~

These are some that I recommend

Cowboy Bebop- it has a jazzy feel to it. There are four characters that have different story lines. Only thing about this is that it is episodic and the plot does not really tie at the end (since each character's story remains pretty much apart)

Ergo Proxy- Two different characters with different story lines that end up tieing with each others toward the end (if I remember correctly).

and I second Black Lagoon
Old 2008-10-31, 18:23   Link #8
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

As much as I like Black Lagoon for sticking so closely to the rule of cool. I reckon it can be somewhat underwhelming after Baccano! which has both tons of cool action sequences and a finely crafted plot. The latter I found to be largely missing from Black Lagoon.

Quote:
So, I'm wondering if anyone knows a show similar to it. It has to be a show with a lot of different characters and several independent plot lines which eventually come together pretty nicely.
For some reason independent plotlines seem to be very rare, especially well written ones. I second the Twelve Kingdoms and if you think that separate story arcs needed to explain an overall mystery fit the requirement, you can try Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni.

Old 2008-10-31, 19:42   Link #9
Darklord_bg
Hallowed Redeemer

Thank you all for the suggestions.

I've seen the first season of Black Lagoon and I really liked it, but I don't think it's very similar to Baccano. From what I've seen, it's comprised of several short story arcs with a common set of characters. The action and the atmosphere is top-notch, but I don't see the independent story lines and the large cast of important characters. Is the second season more like Baccano or is it similar to the first? It doesn't matter that much, since I'm planning to watch it anyway, but for different reasons.

I've read the whole Monster manga and I think it's one of the best things ever written and indeed it has a clever plot with many different stories that come together and a large cast of significant characters. It is a good example of what I'm looking for.

I've seen Cowboy Bebop and while I thought it was very stylish, it was episodic in nature and has a small cast. It's not quite the thing I'm looking for here.

I've also seen Higurashi and I thought it was brilliant - not in the same way as Baccano, but great nonetheless.

I've watched the first two arcs of Twelve Kingdoms and from what I've seen, it spends more time on developing the mythological world, the setting and the characters, rather than on the plot. It's not quite like Baccano. Are the last two arcs any different, or is it more of the same?

It seems that shows like Baccano with well-written independent plot lines are very rare indeed, and I've already seen most of them. I guess I should give Ergo Proxy and Technolyze a go.
Old 2008-10-31, 19:53   Link #10
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklord_bg View Post
I've watched the first two arcs of Twelve Kingdoms and from what I've seen, it spends more time on developing the mythological world, the setting and the characters, rather than on the plot. It's not quite like Baccano. Are the last two arcs any different, or is it more of the same?
You're missing out. The long third arc is famous as Twelve Kingdom's high point: epic in scope, with great action, high drama, excellent character development, and gripping plot. The characters are often separated with different ways to "reach the same conclusion," so to speak, so it might be considered similar to Baccano! in this regard.

Honestly though, Baccano! stands out on its own. The closest thing to it style-wise is Bebop and you've just rejected it for the plotting differences.
Old 2008-10-31, 19:57   Link #11
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Have you tried Urasawa Naoki's other famous manga - 20th Century Boys? Two thirds of it are just as good as Monster...and if you don't like the final third you can do like me and pretend it never existed.

Quote:
The third arc continues to develop Youko but as far as I remember had more emphasis on plot than the previous two.

Quote:
Is the second season more like Baccano or is it similar to the first?
Similar to the first.

Old 2008-11-01, 00:06   Link #12
Shadow Kira01

Baccano! seems to focus on the story of underground guys that also possess supernatural abilities, like immortality and takes place in the early 1930s Europe. From the sound of it, it seems that there aren't that anime with similarities, but try these:

Black Lagoon
Black Lagoon: Second Barrage
Cowboy Bebop
Golgo 13
Gungrave
Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino
Trinity Blood
Yakushiji Ryoko
Old 2008-11-01, 00:30   Link #13
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

The original high point of Baccano wasn't in its plot but in its storytelling, which is highly original and it's very difficult to find something similar. Why don't you try Infinite Ryvius. It has been called the Lord of the flies in anime form, so if you've read the novel you know that you can expect a considerably big cast where the focus often shifts between characters who all have their own stories and past who all greatly contribute to the plot, and they are all well developed. (there is no presence of parallel story arcs, and all the characters circumstances revolve a single underlying main plot but you can't have everything Though yours truly considers Infinite Ryvius character development to even excel that found in the lord of the flies).
Old 2008-11-01, 11:33   Link #14
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
The original high point of Baccano wasn't in its plot but in its storytelling, which is highly original and it's very difficult to find something similar. Why don't you try Infinite Ryvius. It has been called the Lord of the flies in anime form, so if you've read the novel you know that you can expect a considerably big cast where the focus often shifts between characters who all have their own stories and past who all greatly contribute to the plot, and they are all well developed. (there is no presence of parallel story arcs, and all the characters circumstances revolve a single underlying main plot but you can't have everything Though yours truly considers Infinite Ryvius character development to even excel that found in the lord of the flies).
I very much second this notion.

Irenicus, I think if he saw 2 arcs he knows if he likes it or not lol. I personally dropped after 13 eps, i just bored me : p
Old 2008-11-01, 11:37   Link #15
Nemuru

I'm surprise no one has mention Boogie Pop phantom, maybe too old for the younger folks here ^^,
Old 2008-11-01, 12:10   Link #16
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemuru View Post
I'm surprise no one has mention Boogie Pop phantom, maybe too old for the younger folks here ^^,
hrm. Well I wouldn't have really thought of it since BP isn't action but it does have that storytelling and excellent show

also it's not even 10 years old lol.
Old 2008-11-01, 13:37   Link #17
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
Irenicus, I think if he saw 2 arcs he knows if he likes it or not lol. I personally dropped after 13 eps, i just bored me : p
The first arc was infamously slow, until the exciting end, Twelve Kingdom fans -- not just me -- warn people all the time of this issue; the second arc about Taiki was like, huh, who's this boy (and why is the story unfinished?)? The third arc was...epic.

Twelve Kingdoms is a very strange anime. It ties together several novels of the same series that changes the main focus over time and runs technically "unfinished," although the first and third arcs are both somewhat self-contained, since both are stories of Youko, the first protagonist from the novels whose tale was finished in the anime.
Old 2008-11-04, 10:53   Link #18
noinimod

I'll be honest and admit i didn't finish twelve kingdoms. Before you go 'Here's another dude who couldn't have a lil patience just to sit through the initial slow stages', i'm not one of them. I sat through the first arc which was.. excruciatingly draggy for me, considering i'm never a fan of slow anime. But i figured with all the hype surrounding the anime i might as well keep at it.

All was good until the main heroine became queen and for some reason the anime didn't seem to make much sense after that. Almost like it 'ended'. Anyone can compel me to go back to watching it again?
Old 2008-11-04, 16:03   Link #19
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by noinimod View Post
All was good until the main heroine became queen and for some reason the anime didn't seem to make much sense after that. Almost like it 'ended'. Anyone can compel me to go back to watching it again?
Umm, that's the second arc. The one with the kid with long black hair who's suddenly all special out of nowhere after the first arc ended, right? That story isn't finished in the anime, in fact.

The arc that made people -- including me -- thought Twelve Kingdoms was really special was the third arc, the longest arc, when the heroine had to face the task of ruling a kingdom in shambles with corrupt court officials who don't respect her at all...yet.

It began all intrigue and drama, which was interesting enough, and then when the story started rolling and the action ramped up it got really fun.
Old 2008-11-05, 16:50   Link #20
tetsuo
In Classic Form

I'll have to second Ergo Proxy and give you the suggestion of Mnemosyne
Closed Thread