AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2008-09-18, 22:39   Link #21
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I don't have two monitors so I wouldn't know. How do you start a program on the second monitor normally? Can you use the multiple desktops feature and display the two desktops on the two monitors? From what you reported you didn't have the aspect ratio problem on the 16:10 monitor, but you did on the 16:9. How did you tell mplayer which monitor to use?

Do the monitors have different X display identities? On a single monitor X uses :0.0 as the display? Is the second monitor referenced by 1.0 or 0.1? If so you might be able to add -display to the list of parameters or use "export DISPLAY=:1.0; mplayer ..." to use the second monitor.

It sounds to me like you need to read up on how X works with dual monitors.

I admit to being out of suggestions.
Old 2008-09-19, 15:57   Link #22
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

On Windows, each monitor is assigned a virtual video card so you can just use -adapter <number> to launch mplayer on a given monitor, but I'm not sure if this works on linux.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2008-09-20, 04:26   Link #23
Valk1317

ill mess with it tomorrow. i did get it to do everything else wanted though. somehow a package installer broke my packager though.. tried to install parallels to try out windows VM while in linux, to see if i could use linux for the general os and game through a VM, but now i cant run any package managers. said i have to dpkg-reconfigure -a which doesnt do anything =\

ah well.

for now i have given up on multiple monitors for the media playback since twinview and xinerama both do the same thing with stratching/cropping. I can set my 1360 to the main screen and get along just fine but that causes some other issues seemingly.

ill have to format it again to get my package manager back, but right now ive got it setup with the tv, just a desktop, a very basic panel and a fullscreen terminal. gonna force myself to get comfortable with the cli for file management as best i can. but hey, im kinda proud to have come this far even.

ah well its great progress since i wanna pick up an atom330 to power my tv. hopefully under linux the dual-core atom will actully handle h264 =)
Old 2008-09-20, 07:59   Link #24
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
said i have to dpkg-reconfigure -a which doesnt do anything =\
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -a
You need root privileges to call that command. Sudo is used in Ubuntu to elevate your privileges for a particular command (whereas other Linux distributions rely on the user switching to the root user on the console using su).

Quote:
ill have to format it again to get my package manager back
You don't do that on Linux--ever. Even less if you want to learn.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2008-09-20, 15:42   Link #25
Valk1317

that's the command i ran and followed it through the process but it didn't fix the package managers.
Old 2008-09-20, 17:05   Link #26
Valk1317

ok. nm. i dumb and thought it asked or that command but was actully another lol. sudo dpkg --configure -a.

got it fixed now. anyone know of any decent media center front ends for X? i found a neat thread on using firefox to make a media center which does work. pretty easily configured but would be neat if i could get something closer to the desktop environment for ubuntu netbook or mid. unfortunatly neither will install on my desktop.
Old 2008-09-20, 17:55   Link #27
martino
makes no files now

Some googling reveals... http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:H..._Home_Security
Old 2008-09-20, 21:22   Link #28
Valk1317

thanks for that. downloading the iso now to try it out. on another note, more googling and i ahve my answer for dual display.

Code:
# Write your default config options here!

monitoraspect=16:9
geometry=1680:0

#subtitle code
#Truetype fonts rock! (sudo apt-get msttcorefonts)
font=/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-mgopen/MgOpenModataBold.ttf
#font=/usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSerifBold.ttf

ffactor="10" #black outline
sub-bg-alpha="0" #background color ala closed captions
sub-bg-color="7" #to white
subfont-text-scale="3" #truetype font scaling
subfont-outline=2.0
subfont-blur="1" #Slight blur
subalign="2"
double="yes"
ffactor="10"

fs=yes
ass=1
embeddedfonts=1
fontconfig=yes
subcp=cp1251s
sautoload=yes

slang=en,eng,spa,sp
alang=jp,jap

#autoq=100
#vf=pp=de,hqdn3d

#stop-xscreensaver=yes
#geometry=50%:50% - comment out or remove

lavdopts=fast=1:skiploopfilter=nonkey:threads=2
i tried it without the aspect as well and it does work, but i left it alone anyway. movie file loads at 1680x0 and adjusts itself for 1360x768 automaticly. neat

quick edit; xinerama = bad. set it up using twinview and all is perfect now =)

Last edited by Valk1317; 2008-09-20 at 22:08.
Old 2008-09-21, 18:47   Link #29
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
ok. nm. i dumb and thought it asked or that command but was actully another lol. sudo dpkg --configure -a.
Wow, I'm also to blame here. I also thought the command was different... but since the error message specifies the exact command to use I thought you had copied it directly.

Old 2008-09-22, 08:13   Link #30
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk1317 View Post
got it fixed now. anyone know of any decent media center front ends for X?
Do you mean a "media center" like Windows Media Center Edition? There are a variety of these for Linux. The best known and most extensive is MythTV. There are binary packages for Ubuntu you can download from the repositories. There are also combination OS+Myth packages like Mythdora for Fedora (somehat out of date at the moment) and Mythbuntu for Ubuntu.

Another strong contender is the port of "XBox Media Center" to other platforms including Windows, Mac, and Linux.

There's a very extensive set of threads about using Linux, and Myth and xbmc in particular, for a media center here.
Old 2008-09-22, 19:42   Link #31
Valk1317

ill have to look up mythtv tonight. can it be configured to use mplayer? i tried out elisa too which was very pretty but didnt do much of anything right with the anime. ran real slow too.

I figured all was good with mplayer untill i tried to run the EVE no Jikan ep1, which has a seperate ass file with it. wont play that =(
Old 2008-09-22, 20:30   Link #32
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Umm, right click-->Subtitles?

Old 2008-09-22, 23:55   Link #33
Valk1317

alright got that to work, but the file doesnt fill the scren for some reason.. ill have to look into more settings but it seems to be particular which files it will zoom or not. weird.

ill probably skip the media center front end, as nice as elisa and myth are. i don't use it in windows. don't see why i need it in linux.

question though. Can a program like mplayer worth without X? can you run it from the command line without running a desktop?
Old 2008-09-23, 05:54   Link #34
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

I haven't tried it, but mplayer is capable of running using a framebuffer without having X, as far as I recall hearing.

Old 2008-09-30, 20:10   Link #35
Valk1317

alright. here is a nother question. I have a file that when full screen, wont fill the screen. Its a wide format file and has no problem loading. but hitting fullscreen or preloading in fs only fills about 2/3's of the screen.

any other cli flags i could use on this?
Old 2008-09-30, 20:14   Link #36
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
alright. here is a nother question. I have a file that when full screen, wont fill the screen. Its a wide format file and has no problem loading. but hitting fullscreen or preloading in fs only fills about 2/3's of the screen.
What? How?

May we have a screenshot of that? And are you using a frontend or running it from the command line?

Old 2008-10-30, 22:05   Link #37
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

A late reply but...

Try the -zoom flag.
Old 2008-11-16, 05:38   Link #38
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

When I use kmplayer, I get two windows. One for kmplayer, and one for mplayer with the video playing in it. What am I doing wrong?