AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Shuffle!

Notices

View Poll Results: Rate the series (final rating)
Perfect 10 54 17.14%
9 out of 10 64 20.32%
8 out of 10 101 32.06%
7 out of 10 54 17.14%
6 out of 10 17 5.40%
5 out of 10 11 3.49%
4 out of 10 8 2.54%
3 out of 10 3 0.95%
2 out of 10 1 0.32%
1 out of 10 2 0.63%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-11-02, 00:16   Link #181
radioIzzy
stuck in a harem genre
*Artist

dang, I don't think should've voted for a 10... I think it's a good 8.5 or 9...

Spoiler for Bit inconsistent:
radioIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-02, 03:56   Link #182
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho

review ep 4 ... thats the one asa enters the race (and is looking as a serius contenter for the first time)

she's the first one Rin is knowingly about to kiss, and if Ama didn't get home at a bad time the race would have ended there
Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-02, 16:04   Link #183
radioIzzy
stuck in a harem genre
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sian View Post
review ep 4 ... thats the one asa enters the race (and is looking as a serius contenter for the first time)

she's the first one Rin is knowingly about to kiss, and if Ama didn't get home at a bad time the race would have ended there
Yeah that was a good episode :P

Definately went a different direction with this anime, I mean I read the little plot overview from AnimeNewsNetwork, and this is what it said about Shuffle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeNewsNetwork
When two doors are discovered in an ancient ruin, the gateways to shinkai, the realm of the shinzoku (Gods) and makai, the realm of the mazoku (Demons) are irreversably opened. The races of human, shinzoku, and mazoku come together in the mortal world and nothing will ever be the same. One day, two new families move next door to a boy who had previously been living a very peaceful life. In one house lived the family of the King of the Gods, and in the other lived the family of the King of the Demons. Both families had one daughter whose single wish to live next to the boy they had fallen in love with years ago has just been fulfilled. Also living with the boy is his childhood friend. With these three girls vying for his affections, the boy finds that his new life filled with despair, jealousy, and just a little hope is beginning.
Hence why I thought it'd be more focused around Kaede, Sia, and Nerine. :P

Last edited by radioIzzy; 2008-11-03 at 18:41.
radioIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 18:30   Link #184
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

As did many many others... however, if you watch Nerine in the first 6 episodes and what she says, along with Asa and Rin's moment in ep 4, Nerine foreshadows and tags the ending right at the start of the race. They actually did a good job of providing plenty of clues for observant viewers.

I would have preferred the "polygamy" ending (Sia, Nerine, and Kaede) but the *idea* of veering over to the "other childhood friend" was not automatically a bad idea.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, the anime writers proved to be totally unqualified for the task of integrating the arc paths based on the results. From the end of the Sia arc and on, characters lurched about as if they were being jerked around by the gods, they amplified the Kaede arc such that they had to leave her in some kind of psychotic masochist hell, Asa's motivations for her refusal to use magic wither into insane stupidity, Rin went from being a rather respectable lead to being rather loathed by many, and then... then just to really munge it, the writers try and pull a reset out of the ass of the last episode.

It was as if a Shakespeare drama had been rewritten by hack low-budget commercial jingle goons. Basically a great example of how staff anime adaptation writers can fail when they take ero-game material or a manga-ka's work and try to stitch it together.

The ero-game is pretty entertaining, the manga is a good read, and the doujinshi is all a good catch, but I find it hard to recommend the series other than as an exercise in analyzing script writing failure.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 21:41   Link #185
FatalMemory

Even so, it was still much better than Da Capo.
FatalMemory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 21:48   Link #186
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

"better"? .... would you like to expand on that? Kind of meaningless if you don't cite any criteria or comparative explanation. Was there a reason to compare it to another anime rather than just assessing it's storytelling merits?
Old 2008-11-04, 06:50   Link #187
FatalMemory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
"better"? .... would you like to expand on that?
The doting sister was infinitely more enjoyable, because she lost and went psycho.

It's nice and all to fall back on some "always existed" relationship, but I rather prefer watching relationships develop.

"You're always running away from my feelings!" -Nemu

Canvas 2 actually depicted Hiroki developing feelings for Elis.
Da Capo had no such thing, just reminiscing about Nemu's jealousy, Jun'ichi's saying his feelings were suppressed by his responsibility as a brother, and some stupid mutual blushing here and there.

Nemu hardly considered Jun'ichi's feelings, beyond being some sort of perfect maid, she just assumed there was always some relationship, therefore having the right to be jealous of any female interaction Jun'ichi has, and scold him for it.

As much as I enjoyed the Sakura tree's destruction, Nemu exploding in a similar burst of petals, and the Jun'ichi living out his days with a suitable partner (as Sakura said herself, anyone but Nemu!) would've made for a much more dramatic and acceptable end, in my opinion at least.

Which is all any of this is, my opinion, I suppose the great advantage Visual Novels have over their anime counterparts, is the element of choice, everyone's different, and I can imagine there'd even be people out there who like the bad endings of School Days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Was there a reason to compare it to another anime rather than just assessing it's storytelling merits?
The reason of comparison would be the similarity of some characters, and the whole harem situation, although I'll probably never vent enough anger to not rant about Nemu whenever the tiniest opportunity arises.

Last edited by FatalMemory; 2008-11-04 at 09:48.
FatalMemory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-04, 12:56   Link #188
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Thanks... just wondered. I know a lot of people like Da Capo and its sequels but I could never get interested enough to finish any of them.

OTOH, I enjoyed Canvas 2 but then it set out as a triangle rather than "the usual sequential arc of romancing girls", instead simply having the lead help with their problems. My complaints about Canvas 2 are minor and more a matter of whether foreshadow was invisible - its still a lot more rewatchable than many trainwreck anime adapted from ero-games.

My complaints about Shuffle! derive more from the way arcs were stitched together, the way they transitioned, and then the way the last episode tried to portray some lack of closure (not really a reset but yeah a reset; game not over). Good premise, many interesting moments, glad there's a manga and lots of doujinshi
Old 2008-11-12, 00:02   Link #189
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

6 from me.

For me, you've gotta understand that 7 is already very good
(think Kanon '06, Minami-ke), but for me to even give 8, you've got to be like Clannad. And 10 is still Oharuhi-sama's lone territory.

Animation 7: Character design is better than some other Visual-novel adaptations like Kanon '02, or even '06. But one problem is, some characters are 'favored' over another. (Oh, watching Kyoani has given me a jaded taste?)

Sound 5: Not great, as BGMs need some percussion backing usually to carry the song along and make it memorable. Shuffle's BGM's lack strong percussion.

Voice 7: Great voicing, though not on the Aya Hirano [in Haruhi]/Houko Kuwashima [as Tomoyo - CLANNAD] levels. Sia was especailly cute (Wait, she voiced Kyon's sis too!)

Story 4: Bad connections. Connections between one arc and next are like trying to make a train connection in Hokkaido. Quite difficult to connect them in my head. Plot shift too sudden. If you want to shift like that, make each cour a season, then have a light 1st cour, then a dark 2nd cour. [CLANNAD's first season was light-hearted, but the second is more serious and imparts some lessons... therefore, sometimes, don't rush it!]

Characters 6: Not all were pleasing. Some were great, like Kaede and Asa. Others were a little weak. Please refer to a KyoAni production if you want to know what gives a 9-10.

Enjoyment 5: Couldn't connect the arcs, couldn't understand some parts at all, made little sense, and the magic was far from magical. Please refer to CLANNAD After Story 5-6 to get what I mean.

As a sum I get a 7 + 5 + 7 + 4 + 6 + 5 = 34
Average: 5 2/3
This rounds up to 6.

That is all...
ZephyrLeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 02:31   Link #190
Utau
Butler mitai~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Utau
^although i agree with you in some points, to compare Shuffle! to KyoAni's Clannad is just.. straight unfair. You are also mentioning other Key/KyoAni works which imo are all masterpieces (w/ the exception of SHnY & LS) be it the game or the anime. If it be KyoAni who picked this up can you still say otherwise?

Status Quo: MIA
Utau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 02:34   Link #191
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utau View Post
^although i agree with you in some points, to compare Shuffle! to KyoAni's Clannad is just.. straight unfair. You are also mentioning other Key/KyoAni works which imo are all masterpieces (w/ the exception of SHnY & LS) be it the game or the anime. If it be KyoAni who picked this up can you still say otherwise?
Well, not likely, unless they screw it up bad like Lucky Star. That's not even near Kanon '06/Haruhi/CLANNAD. That's what I call epic fail... 'cause it's no slice-of-life, it's just epic fail randomness. For Slice-of-life, I refer to Minami-ke.

And your location just twisted me...智代の部屋!? Tomoyo's room!? Doing what!?
Old 2008-11-12, 06:39   Link #192
Utau
Butler mitai~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Utau
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
Well, not likely, unless they screw it up bad like Lucky Star. That's not even near Kanon '06/Haruhi/CLANNAD. That's what I call epic fail... 'cause it's no slice-of-life, it's just epic fail randomness. For Slice-of-life, I refer to Minami-ke.
well LS is still good in it's own way. The episodes between 14?-24 are quite impressive since it had some seriousness in some episodes. If KyoAni picked it however, then that would also mean it's Visual Key and not a work done by Navel w/c is a big NO to me

Visual Key tends to have sad beautiful visual novels, so..

Quote:
And your location just twisted me...智代の部屋!? Tomoyo's room!? Doing what!?
M-m-m-mind your own BUSINESS!

Status Quo: MIA
Utau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 07:08   Link #193
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utau View Post
well LS is still good in it's own way. The episodes between 14?-24 are quite impressive since it had some seriousness in some episodes. If KyoAni picked it however, then that would also mean it's Visual Key and not a work done by Navel w/c is a big NO to me

Visual Key tends to have sad beautiful visual novels, so..
Well, it's the transitions that really made it garner only 6. Look at the story part.

Quote:

M-m-m-mind your own BUSINESS!
Aha! What's she doing to you - or you doing to her??
Is she feeding you well?
Old 2008-11-14, 09:54   Link #194
Aya_Lyka
Silent Writer
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to Aya_Lyka
i voted 9-10 i really like shuffle but i was just like disappointed that she picked Asa but still it was great.
Aya_Lyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-16, 12:36   Link #195
LovePhoenix
Biggest Nerine fan~!

Perfect, of course. I really liked the anime although I didn't like that Rin chose Asa in the end. But oh well, it was still great.

Visit our site and join the fun~!
LovePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 01:32   Link #196
tlv

I'm really very hate the end in Season 1, and I don't want watch Season 2.
I think Rin is very selfish man I've seen, he live with Kaede in her house 8years and he don't know what Kaede thinking, her feeling when he talk and go out with other girls.
If I had a friend like him, I will kill him.
I also hate Asa, she knew Kaede love Rin but she ..., and I'm extremely hate Rin and Asa when them go Kaede home and talk, laugh when Kaede here.
I felt sorry for Kaede.
tlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 03:17   Link #197
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho

tlv: two things
There is no season 2 ... its merely a long recap with little new to offer, which even then would count as filler

Rin is selfish because he sees Kaede more of a sister (and not being into to squicky relationships)?
Old 2008-11-18, 05:04   Link #198
tlv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sian View Post
tlv: two things
There is no season 2 ... its merely a long recap with little new to offer, which even then would count as filler

Rin is selfish because he sees Kaede more of a sister (and not being into to squicky relationships)?
Even a sister, I still think he is selfish and very very stupid.
When Kaede's umbrella hanged in the Fence wire and she could take it out, he run with other girls, and after school, he go home with them without Kaede >>> what kind person like him?
And when he go out with other girl, Kaede always talk with him with sad voice and sad face, he even didn't know.
and many many time...
Old 2008-11-18, 05:27   Link #199
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho

... its called not being aware of it ... Kaede hardly tried to notify him about her losing the umbrella
Old 2008-11-18, 07:59   Link #200
tlv

I don't mention about he know or not know, I angry because he and Kaede live together, same class but why he can go home with other girls and didn't notice about Kaede.
And he never care about Kaede, thanks her or say something to make her happy. He only care her one time when her sick (because of unconscious when cook after go home in rain)
And when he talk about reason Kaede's mother die, if she need a reason to live why he can't say something other.

I don't think he don't know about Kaede love him, Kaede said many time her want cook for him, look after him... >>>Even stupid person can realize this, if he don't love her, he must say something but he don't.

>>> He is the most heartlessness, unkindness man.