AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Tales of...

Notices

View Poll Results: Tales of the Abyss - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 8 26.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 11 36.67%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 26.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 6.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 3.33%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-11-29, 08:36   Link #21
yolin.shana
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
They weren't condemning him for destroying the pillar (listen to Tear's tone when she says Van betrayed Luke, she seems to feel bad about it). They just had enough of his irresponsibility. Everyone was stressed at that time.
yolin.shana is offline  
Old 2008-11-29, 08:46   Link #22
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canada
Age: 29
Think of it as the straw that broke the camel's back. It is not him destroying the Sephiroth that got everyone mad, it is his childish and arrogant behaviour leading up to it and his attitude in Akzeriuth. Those events add up and everyone just had enough of it. I forget if they did that in the anime but Luke also insults Ion saying how he was unnecessary and that Luke himself is the important ambassador when they were heading to Akzeriuth.
__________________
demon_god04 is offline  
Old 2008-11-29, 15:24   Link #23
SidVicious
Anime addict
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: São Paulo/Brazil
Age: 37
RAW for episode 10 is out.

And in episode 11 we will have chibi Jade.
SidVicious is offline  
Old 2008-11-30, 02:43   Link #24
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by demon_god04 View Post
Think of it as the straw that broke the camel's back. It is not him destroying the Sephiroth that got everyone mad, it is his childish and arrogant behaviour leading up to it and his attitude in Akzeriuth. Those events add up and everyone just had enough of it. I forget if they did that in the anime but Luke also insults Ion saying how he was unnecessary and that Luke himself is the important ambassador when they were heading to Akzeriuth.
Oh yeah they got that part in alright . I agree that last bit of denial of responsibility was probably what did it. It wasn't just that one thing, but the build up that just got everyone upset. They needed some time away from the guy to cool their own heads off. Considering all the people that died its no surprise that they were already pretty stressed out. A combination of factors lead to that scene.
__________________
FlareKnight is online now  
Old 2008-11-30, 05:56   Link #25
FrOzE BLadE
Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Age: 26
i wonder if Asch is treating Luke as if like his own brother, since when he wanted luke to see somethings with his own eyes while in Asch's body. Perhaps to make Luke understand. And he told Luke to thing about the consequence of his actions and wha the can do to salvage what he has done. Instead of just reprimanding him like others did.

Or maybe he always thought that Luke's always been a disgrace as his replica. He could have expected luke to be on the same level or better than him. Since luke had "robbed" him of his family, status, he should at the very least make up by being a more competent Luke
FrOzE BLadE is offline  
Old 2008-11-30, 08:01   Link #26
yolin.shana
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
I'd say :
anime Asch : your first proposition
game Asch : the second + make sure Luke knows he's a disgrace
yolin.shana is offline  
Old 2008-11-30, 23:07   Link #27
EphemeralDream
Suigintou Fan
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
I honestly did not like this episode. I hated the supporting characters' attitude towards Luke, "We all know that you're a copy that's only a couple of years old and doesn't have any life experience or social skills, but we think you're egotistical and selfish and you shouldn't have so readily done what your only father-figure told you to do. This is your fault and we're ashamed of you." I honestly don't buy the crap that Tear actually cares for Luke, as she's known everything about him, yet apparently is A-ok with giving him verbal slaps as if he should know better.
__________________

The certainty of your existence is proven by the fact that you doubt you exist,
for you cannot doubt that you are doubting; Cogito, ergo sum.
EphemeralDream is offline  
Old 2008-12-01, 04:26   Link #28
Momosan
?Clannad Troll¿
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by EphemeralDream View Post
I honestly did not like this episode. I hated the supporting characters' attitude towards Luke, "We all know that you're a copy that's only a couple of years old and doesn't have any life experience or social skills, but we think you're egotistical and selfish and you shouldn't have so readily done what your only father-figure told you to do. This is your fault and we're ashamed of you." I honestly don't buy the crap that Tear actually cares for Luke, as she's known everything about him, yet apparently is A-ok with giving him verbal slaps as if he should know better.
Exactly. Remember, Luke only has the total life experience of a 10 year old I believe. While he was being an ass during the travels, they weren't upset enough to yell then. They were upset that he was doing something he thought was right to save an entire town that ended poorly. Why would anyone get upset over that? Subjective analysis of actions makes this existentialist a sad panda.

Would you scream at your kid if they broke the oven trying to cook you cookies for your birthday? I dunno about you, but I'd respect the intent and explain why their actions were wrong. Tellibg them that they're a piece of garbage and you couldn't think any less of them isn't something a good parent, or a good friend, would do.
Momosan is offline  
Old 2008-12-01, 15:48   Link #29
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momosan View Post
Would you scream at your kid if they broke the oven trying to cook you cookies for your birthday? I dunno about you, but I'd respect the intent and explain why their actions were wrong. Tellibg them that they're a piece of garbage and you couldn't think any less of them isn't something a good parent, or a good friend, would do.
Most people would yell at that child because he acted foolishly. But yes, it takes some load off of the anger, and that is why I believe the characters will eventually forgive him. If he had intentionally did it, then they would think that he is an evil bastard. There is a reason they didn't slaughter him, but it does not mean that they should act kindly to him as he still did an idiotic thing.
Reckoner is offline  
Old 2008-12-01, 15:52   Link #30
EphemeralDream
Suigintou Fan
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Most people would yell at that child because he acted foolishly. But yes, it takes some load off of the anger, and that is why I believe the characters will eventually forgive him. If he had intentionally did it, then they would think that he is an evil bastard. There is a reason they didn't slaughter him, but it does not mean that they should act kindly to him as he still did an idiotic thing.
How is trying to save an entire village with the guidance of the one person you look up to idiotic? If anything, i'd call that human; it seems that most of the other characters have lost their humanity long ago (guy is still my favorite character).
__________________

The certainty of your existence is proven by the fact that you doubt you exist,
for you cannot doubt that you are doubting; Cogito, ergo sum.
EphemeralDream is offline  
Old 2008-12-01, 16:10   Link #31
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canada
Age: 29
Looking at it from Luke's point of view it actually makes sense. If Van really was on the level and he could have destroyed the miasma with his hyper resonance then there would have been no point in helping to move the people since the miasma would be gone. From his point of view the party was doing unnecessary things. Of course it was still pretty dick of him and his attitude. As Jade said he could have said something, but on the flipside, Luke felt the party was treating him like a child and a fool, especially Jade so that can be understandable why he kept his mouth shut.
__________________
demon_god04 is offline  
Old 2008-12-01, 16:22   Link #32
justsomeguy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
I don't understand what problem everybody has towards the party's rejection of Luke. They aren't blaming him for destroying Akzeriuth, they were angry at him for refusing to accept any responsibility for his part in it, especially when everybody else recognized their own errors leading up to that point and were trying to figure out what to do next instead of casting blame on each other.
justsomeguy is offline  
Old 2008-12-01, 16:32   Link #33
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 23
But you see, regardless of whether he thought what he did was right or not, he still acted like an idiot. He ignored the group's wishes to help everyone in the mine, and went off alone. If he did not do that, the result of the situation may have been different.

I see Luke's actions as being something similar to manslaughter. Yeah, he didn't intentionally do it, but he still did it. Carelessness that ends up in a bad result.
Reckoner is offline  
Old 2008-12-01, 16:35   Link #34
kujoe
from head to heel
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrOzE BLadE View Post
i wonder if Asch is treating Luke as if like his own brother, since when he wanted luke to see somethings with his own eyes while in Asch's body. Perhaps to make Luke understand. And he told Luke to thing about the consequence of his actions and wha the can do to salvage what he has done. Instead of just reprimanding him like others did.
There's still a lot of buried resentment though, considering what has transpired in the past. Luke has Akzeriuth and the truth of his nature in his mind, while Asch has begun thinking of the life he has lost. Their fates may be bound to each other, but it's not brotherly per se.

If anything, there's going to be some angst and a lot of soul-searching, amidst all the circumstances piled upon them by their fate.
kujoe is offline  
Old 2008-12-01, 16:38   Link #35
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canada
Age: 29
And really that goes true for Natalia as well. Luke may not be the one she initially fell in love with but that does not change the fact that, like Guy, the seven years she spent with Luke were real. This whole replica business really puts a monkey wrench into the character relationships.
__________________
demon_god04 is offline  
Old 2008-12-01, 17:33   Link #36
EphemeralDream
Suigintou Fan
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
But you see, regardless of whether he thought what he did was right or not, he still acted like an idiot. He ignored the group's wishes to help everyone in the mine, and went off alone. If he did not do that, the result of the situation may have been different.

I see Luke's actions as being something similar to manslaughter. Yeah, he didn't intentionally do it, but he still did it. Carelessness that ends up in a bad result.
That's a rather fallacious argument seeing as hindsight is 20/20; no one could've known what would happen. Had Luke told everyone about his plans, many of them probably would've helped him rather than waste time getting workers out of the mine and risk further contamination.

I'd hardly call Luke's actions manslaughter. If you're talking about actual court of law, it would be Van who'd be tried for murder, with Luke probably getting treatment/councelling. If anything, Tear was the real careless one as she knew all along about everything going on with Van and the cloning, she should've told everyone this from the start. The fact that she tells Luke, "I thought you had some good in you" was extremely hypocritical.
__________________

The certainty of your existence is proven by the fact that you doubt you exist,
for you cannot doubt that you are doubting; Cogito, ergo sum.
EphemeralDream is offline  
Old 2008-12-01, 21:04   Link #37
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canada
Age: 29
Tear did not know anything about replicas, she just knew Van was going to do something that would kill a lot of people. Jade was the one that figured out Asche was the original Luke and that Luke was the replica.
__________________
demon_god04 is offline  
Old 2008-12-01, 21:13   Link #38
kujoe
from head to heel
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 32
Yeah, well, it's not surprising to see everyone with their own criticisms regarding every character. Even within discussions about the game, a lot of people were talking about all sorts of things pertaining to this event.

The usual subjects of criticism were (besides the obvious one, Luke) Natalia, Jade and Anise. Natalia for her "Asch is the real Luke" bit as if her time with Luke doesn't matter all of a sudden, Anise for her gold-digging self, and Jade who supposedly knows a good deal of what's going on with regard to Luke and Asch. Even Ion has been the topic of some discussions.

Tear gets criticized too, but she's the very first one who gives Luke a chance to change, whereas Guy has really stood by him all this time despite lingering doubts.
kujoe is offline  
Old 2008-12-01, 22:15   Link #39
Kayin
s c a r l e t
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South FL
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Kayin
Rejoice, for the arrogant, selfish Luke is gone now! For the most part. His personality will always be a little arrogant, but this really is a turning point for him. It might take a few more episodes, but you'll like him a lot more as the show progresses - at least until he stops being over eager with trying to redeem himself.

And Tear will remain awesome, so no worries there.
__________________
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/7315/sigoop.gif
Kayin is offline  
Old 2008-12-01, 23:57   Link #40
EphemeralDream
Suigintou Fan
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by demon_god04 View Post
Tear did not know anything about replicas, she just knew Van was going to do something that would kill a lot of people. Jade was the one that figured out Asche was the original Luke and that Luke was the replica.
Don't you remember when Asche was about to reveal to Luke that he's a replica and Tear said, "No! Dont!" or something to that effect?
__________________

The certainty of your existence is proven by the fact that you doubt you exist,
for you cannot doubt that you are doubting; Cogito, ergo sum.
EphemeralDream is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.