AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-12-02, 01:37   Link #901
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Singapore now, QLD next.
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
1.)

Akiba / Nakano Broadway -> Harajuku -> Saitama -> *whatever パトリシア・マーティン "パティ" mentioned in the anime*



List a few shops. Needed to enjoy to the max.
I'm not even a cosplayer myself, so I have no idea.Try looking around, however, they should be standing out from the rest with the usual types of cosplay dresses, since most of the rest sells games and other merchandise...
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-02, 18:54   Link #902
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Follow up on the "japanese school girl and her knuckleball signs with pro baseball" story.
They're treating it as kind of cute but hopefully she can set some fires....

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...1viJwD94QKO202
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-02, 18:58   Link #903
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
^I can't help but feel that there is some sort of Princess Nine validation in that story . Cool news, even if it will probably be more for publicity rather than legitimate baseball.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-02, 19:04   Link #904
Tri-ring
The Censor Bat
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Land of the rising sun
There is a predecessor manga/anime called Yakyuko no Uta written by Baseball freak, Mizushima Shinji.


Last edited by Tri-ring; 2008-12-02 at 19:08. Reason: Adding vid for viewers
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-02, 22:15   Link #905
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Apparently, she does have a kickass knuckleball. The question I have is do her other skills come close enough to pro standards to get by on.

Otherwise, this is like the heavy hitter that can't field a ball worth squat.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 10:34   Link #906
Autumn Demon
~
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ithaca, NY
Age: 25
What are the most popular sports in Japan? And what's more popular, baseball or soccer?
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 10:44   Link #907
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Baseball <- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanshin_Tigers (see 電車男)
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 13:37   Link #908
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Yeah, definitely baseball ... though soccer is gaining in popularity (cheaper sport ) much like it is in the US.

If you ever get a chance, watch or attend a japanese baseball game just to watch the spectators. Fascinating.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 18:49   Link #909
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Singapore now, QLD next.
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Yeah, definitely baseball ... though soccer is gaining in popularity (cheaper sport ) much like it is in the US.

If you ever get a chance, watch or attend a japanese baseball game just to watch the spectators. Fascinating.
Or the end of a game. When I was in Nishinomiya (that means my uni years, and soon, my springs and summers), the losing team at Nishinomiya Koshien Stadium would dig soil off the pitch.

The spectators at the end are usually the best scene, for some reason. Spontaneity for the win!
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 19:15   Link #910
Yukinokesshou
ドジ
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In a house
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyon.haruhi.suzumiya View Post
If you're Chinese or Korean, naturally they tend to look down on you. Unless you can awe them with your English or something.
That's a matter of controversy. If you re-read my original post, however, you will find that nationalism/racism is irrelevant to the issue at hand ... I was comparing my own experience in Hong Kong and the UK to a Japanese mock interview on Youtube, with a Japanese interviewee. I have personally never been interviewed in Japan
Yukinokesshou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 19:24   Link #911
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Singapore now, QLD next.
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukinokesshou View Post
That's a matter of controversy. If you re-read my original post, however, you will find that nationalism/racism is irrelevant to the issue at hand ... I was comparing my own experience in Hong Kong and the UK to a Japanese mock interview on Youtube, with a Japanese interviewee. I have personally never been interviewed in Japan
Must be a Japanese right-winger supremacist who was feed the wrong information in his schooling days. Personally, I feel sad for them.
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 19:43   Link #912
Yukinokesshou
ドジ
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In a house
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyon.haruhi.suzumiya View Post
Must be a Japanese right-winger supremacist who was feed the wrong information in his schooling days. Personally, I feel sad for them.
Huh? Now I'm confused...

Wah lau, we're replying to each other's posts on two threads simultaneously o_O
Yukinokesshou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 20:01   Link #913
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Singapore now, QLD next.
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukinokesshou View Post
Huh? Now I'm confused...

Wah lau, we're replying to each other's posts on two threads simultaneously o_O
If it was a Japanese INTERVIEWER, it's inevitable that he'd be biased against Taiwan (Taiwanese aboriginal), Korea and China people. Thus we have the term Sangokujin

But if it was the Interviewee, he'd most likely study in his history texts in high school that Japan was not an aggressor, Japan was right... yadda yadda. Thus causing him to form wrong views.
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 21:46   Link #914
Lathdrinor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyon.haruhi.suzumiya View Post
If it was a Japanese INTERVIEWER, it's inevitable that he'd be biased against Taiwan (Taiwanese aboriginal), Korea and China people. Thus we have the term Sangokujin

But if it was the Interviewee, he'd most likely study in his history texts in high school that Japan was not an aggressor, Japan was right... yadda yadda. Thus causing him to form wrong views.
Personal experience?
Lathdrinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 22:02   Link #915
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Singapore now, QLD next.
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathdrinor View Post
Personal experience?
Yes. That's right. Being a social worker who can speak Chinese and a dash of Hokkien due to my mixed lineage, I get these cases rather often. Of students/prospective students being put down because of race. I got rejected by my previous attachment school just because I wasn't pure Japanese.

Also, I've been to some interviews as a second-opinion kind of person in Korea. The Japanese, if asked a history question, more often than not, has views that are not in accordance to world's understanding of history of WWII in Asia. It was only when I saw a overview of the some schools' history curriculum that I realised that some textbooks are right-winging.
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 22:22   Link #916
Lathdrinor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyon.haruhi.suzumiya View Post
Yes. That's right. Being a social worker who can speak Chinese and a dash of Hokkien due to my mixed lineage, I get these cases rather often. Of students/prospective students being put down because of race. I got rejected by my previous attachment school just because I wasn't pure Japanese.
Sorry to hear that. Do you think you get it even worse (than other "non-Japanese") because you're mixed? I have heard of discrimination against "mixed bloods" in South Korea; unfortunately it seems that the fascist concept of racial purity still lingers in many places of the world.

Quote:
Also, I've been to some interviews as a second-opinion kind of person in Korea. The Japanese, if asked a history question, more often than not, has views that are not in accordance to world's understanding of history of WWII in Asia. It was only when I saw a overview of the some schools' history curriculum that I realised that some textbooks are right-winging.
Interesting, but not surprising. Education plays a large role in shaping a person's worldview, and nations have a habit of twisting history for their own narrative ends.
Lathdrinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 22:50   Link #917
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Singapore now, QLD next.
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathdrinor View Post
Sorry to hear that. Do you think you get it even worse (than other "non-Japanese") because you're mixed? I have heard of discrimination against "mixed bloods" in South Korea; unfortunately it seems that the fascist concept of racial purity still lingers in many places of the world.
I get your point. Still, Japanese don't have such a big problem with people of Japanese + Western blood, they have a HUGE problem with Japanese + other parts of East Asia. If you fall in that group, you're unlikely to learn much Japanese due to family background anyways, so unless you have good English, you're unlikely to get a job in Japan. Of course, I can speak better English than most Japanese.

Quote:
Interesting, but not surprising. Education plays a large role in shaping a person's worldview, and nations have a habit of twisting history for their own narrative ends.
Yep. That's one thing about Japan's education system that's screwed up.

Oh, and what's with Japanese and curry? They can't take much spice (they use VERY little wasabi, unlike in places like Singapore, where the wasabi runs out really fast) but they still love curry... any ideas why?
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 23:39   Link #918
Theowne
耳をすませば
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Age: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Quote:
Oh, and what's with Japanese and curry? They can't take much spice (they use VERY little wasabi, unlike in places like Singapore, where the wasabi runs out really fast) but they still love curry... any ideas why?
Isn't Japanese curry-rice far less spicy.more sweeter than the Indian-style curry?
__________________

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 23:44   Link #919
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Singapore now, QLD next.
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Isn't Japanese curry-rice far less spicy.more sweeter than the Indian-style curry?
Yeah, but still, the way curry houses are popping up all around Kobe is startling. And the curry doesn't taste like those further south in Asia, especially Singapore.
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-04, 00:33   Link #920
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Article of photos highlighting Tokyo's winter holiday light displays:

http://mdn.mainichi.jp/photospecials...s08/index.html

Just kind of stunning amount of work put into it.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.