AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2008-11-02, 23:54   Link #1
Queso

Best Codec/player in Vista x64?

Hi Everyone--

I did a quick search in the forum and didn't see anything about this. If this issue was already addressed, can you post a link to the thread? Thanks!

A couple months ago I built a new computer and started using Vista x64 Home Premium from XP SP2 (32-bit).

On my old computer I usually used CCCP and didn't have playback issues with that combined with Zoom Player except with some of the higher resolution h264 encodes where I think my processor was a bottleneck and the video would stutter quite a bit. I'm a big fan of the customization of the keyboard controls that Zoom Player allows, like being able to switch the keys so I can rewind/fast-forward small increments (5 and 20 second jumps) easily using the arrow keys.

I noticed that CCCP doesn't support 64-bit media players, so I just did a quick Google search and found the Vista Codec Package and the Vista Codec x64 Components add on and it seemed to play back everything fine, but I noticed that karaoke effects for a handful of encodes I've tried didn't seem to work and that half of the line would be first half of the line would be highlighted and the second would not. Some examples of this are with the gg/qq encodes of Toradora (OP and ED) and various songs in Lunar's encode of Macross Frontier (in ep 20 1280x720, h264 version, OP is fine, but insert songs at start, 8:00 and 18:50/ED either stutter really really badly or have the behavior above.)

For a while I've just been satisfied with karaoke-less encodes, but I was hoping to find a remedy to my situation and was hoping to find some help here on the boards.

While I am fairly technologically knowledgeable, I know next to nothing about encoding/decoding, so I have some stupid questions.

1. Does it really matter that CCCP doesn't support 64-bit media players? I've been reading some things that I could just use a 32-bit based player and it doesn't really have much of an effect. Is there any significant advantage to using a 64-bit player? Would that help my karaoke problems?

2. If so, any recommended 64-bit players? As I mentioned above, one piece of functionality that I would really really like to have is keyboard rewind/fast forward functionality, so I've greatly preferred Zoom Player over WMP and MPC.

3. Is the real problem I'm encountering that the codec pack I'm using sucks? If so, should I just uninstall everything and go back to CCCP? I'd really rather not install a bunch of codecs by hand and manage things on my own, so a pack suggestion would be preferable.

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the massively wordy post, but I just wanted to get the appropriate info out there to get a helpful response.

Thanks all!

Last edited by Queso; 2008-11-03 at 00:26. Reason: added another example
Queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 05:26   Link #2
XenophunK
INACTIVITY

Send a message via MSN to XenophunK
Stuttering seems like a sound problem. Does it sound static-y?
Old 2008-11-03, 09:23   Link #3
Queso

Sorry, when I said that the karaoke was stuttering, I was referring to the karaoke effect on the typesetting. Both the video and the sound are completely unaffected.

Usually when I see this happening, the karaoke effect is where the color of the text transitions from one color to another gradually as the note occurs. When it stutters, the color transition doesn't happen for a while, then seems to jump across multiple syllables at once, completely out of sync with the audio.
Old 2008-11-03, 16:38   Link #4
Oxtail

I use CCCP with my 64 bit Vista just fine. Not sure why you'd move from CCCP just to utilize a 64 bit player. My suggestion is to uninstall all the codec stuff you put on there, install CCCP, and see how it works.
Oxtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 16:56   Link #5
Eviltape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queso View Post
1. Does it really matter that CCCP doesn't support 64-bit media players? I've been reading some things that I could just use a 32-bit based player and it doesn't really have much of an effect. Is there any significant advantage to using a 64-bit player? Would that help my karaoke problems?

2. If so, any recommended 64-bit players? As I mentioned above, one piece of functionality that I would really really like to have is keyboard rewind/fast forward functionality, so I've greatly preferred Zoom Player over WMP and MPC.

3. Is the real problem I'm encountering that the codec pack I'm using sucks? If so, should I just uninstall everything and go back to CCCP? I'd really rather not install a bunch of codecs by hand and manage things on my own, so a pack suggestion would be preferable.
1. Unless you care about 1080p in h264, today's CPUs really don't have much of an effect on decoding speed that matters. Hell, CoreAVC might work better than a 64 bit decoder. MPC Home Cinema + ffdshow-tryouts have x64 builds, in case you're interested.

2. Media Player Classic Home Cinema. MPC has keys for keyboard seeking, you know.

3. CBA to research far into it. VCP seems to use multiple splitters and other nonsense decoders, so it has a likeness to K-Lite in its early days. Messy messy.
Eviltape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-04, 06:08   Link #6
emptyeighty

Imo use the CCCP with a sane 32bit player. There is no advantage to 64bit playback at this point, since it is not faster. Additionally most of the components are either not very well tested (ffdshow) or nonexistant (Haali, vsfilter). That may change in the future, but don't hold your breath for it.

Use CoreAVC if you run into CPU bottlenecks.

If you want to use 32bit codecs with WMP on x64, you may have to tell Vista to use the 32bit version of WMP by running
Code:
unregmp2.exe /SwapTo:32
in an ELEVATED (admin) cmd.exe prompt and changing
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\wmplayer.exe
to the appropriate x86 WMP folder (source, just search for swapto ).
emptyeighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-05, 03:53   Link #7
Queso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxtail View Post
I use CCCP with my 64 bit Vista just fine. Not sure why you'd move from CCCP just to utilize a 64 bit player. My suggestion is to uninstall all the codec stuff you put on there, install CCCP, and see how it works.
I remember now why I initially went with VCP even though CCCP was my codec pack back with my old computer.

I uninstalled all my codecs and re-installed CCCP and noticed that a lot of the video looked significantly grainier when using full screen mode. Lines looked almost pixellated rather than smooth curves. Have you noticed this at all?

I should note that the karaoke effects did seem to display correctly, but having the reduced video quality is a significantly worse trade off IMO.

Last edited by Queso; 2008-11-05 at 04:05. Reason: added note about karaoke effects
Old 2008-11-05, 04:18   Link #8
Queso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviltape View Post
1. Unless you care about 1080p in h264, today's CPUs really don't have much of an effect on decoding speed that matters. Hell, CoreAVC might work better than a 64 bit decoder. MPC Home Cinema + ffdshow-tryouts have x64 builds, in case you're interested.

2. Media Player Classic Home Cinema. MPC has keys for keyboard seeking, you know.
Thanks for the info. Very helpful, especially the keyboard settings options on MPC that I somehow overlooked before...

So I tried uninstalling all of my codecs and installing the ffdshow-tryouts with MPC. Video looked great as opposed to CCCP (see above), but it doesn't seem like I can get softsubs to display. When I right-click on the video, the subtitles option is disabled. I'm guessing there's something else I need to install?
Old 2008-11-05, 09:03   Link #9
emptyeighty

CCCP uses ffdshow-tryouts pretty much without modification nowadays, and there were no such problems reported as you were having.

It would be nice if you could uninstall ffdshow and MPC, install CCCP again, then change the video renderer in MPC (right click -> options -> output, under DirectShow Video) to Haali or EVR (don't forget to restart MPC each time). It may just be your vidcard/driver not liking VMR7.
Old 2008-11-05, 20:41   Link #10
Queso

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyeighty View Post
CCCP uses ffdshow-tryouts pretty much without modification nowadays, and there were no such problems reported as you were having.

It would be nice if you could uninstall ffdshow and MPC, install CCCP again, then change the video renderer in MPC (right click -> options -> output, under DirectShow Video) to Haali or EVR (don't forget to restart MPC each time). It may just be your vidcard/driver not liking VMR7.
I tried switching to EVR (Haali was disabled for some reason), but no luck. I still get good video but no soft subs displayed or available in the right-click menu. I noticed for some reason the ffdshow audio/video and haali media splitter tray icons that are normally showing when I play a file in zoom player are not being displayed. Is there some sort of setting I need to override in MPC that isn't being set properly?
Old 2008-11-06, 02:11   Link #11
emptyeighty

If you have CCCP with default settings and are using the included MPC-HC, everything should be set correctly. Grab CCCP Insurgent, do a tools -> test render, tools -> media info and tools -> CRC check on a problematic file, then file -> save log and paste that final log here.
Old 2008-11-18, 17:30   Link #12
AceD
See You En' Tee

well....ive used CCCP + 32bit media classic home cinema for ages, but i recently changed to classic home cinema 64bit and CoreAVC Pro Codec pack

tbh...i cant tell much of a difference, sometime on CCCP i got the odd pause in the player (even though am cor 2 duo 3ghz...quad crossfire etc), since i changed to this codec and player that hasnt happend
Old 2008-12-02, 14:11   Link #13
npcomplete

wait.. if you're using the 64-bit version of MPC-HC and CoreAVC, does that mean there's a 64-bit version of CoreAVC out now??
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-02, 17:06   Link #14
emptyeighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcomplete View Post
does that mean there's a 64-bit version of CoreAVC out now??
No, there isn't.