AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 39 36.79%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 35.85%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 16.98%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 6.60%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.83%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.94%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-12-04, 21:28   Link #41
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
I would be eternally grateful if Ami wins, her character type rarely if ever, wins.
Well if you would stop treating this like a 'contest' (as in MY GIRL IS GOING TO WIN) maybe you and a few others would be getting more out of it, no?

This show takes such wonderful care of its characters, it's amazing.
__________________
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline  
Old 2008-12-04, 21:34   Link #42
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
Well if you would stop treating this like a 'contest' (as in MY GIRL IS GOING TO WIN) maybe you and a few others would be getting more out of it, no?

This show takes such wonderful care of its characters, it's amazing.
Winning more in the context of the girl getting what she wants. In a harem (meaning more than 1 girl) situation, it is a contest of sorts. The loser is left to their own demise to find their own happiness basically disappearing in a bittersweet way. No one wants their favorite character to end that way.
__________________
HayashiTakara is offline  
Old 2008-12-04, 21:37   Link #43
KeitaroNagato
Taiga Yea!!!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Just finished watching it, not bad, at least Ryuuji is putting the moves on Minorin ^^ Still dont get why Taiga was emotional at the end. She seems upset with something.
__________________

"Me and Ryuuji just got married...!!!"
KeitaroNagato is offline  
Old 2008-12-04, 21:52   Link #44
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Taiga isn't sure why ... we can speculate that "her Ryuuji" is more important to her than even she realizes at the moment -- and he's being drawn away from two directions.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2008-12-04, 21:56   Link #45
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
One thing that Ami doesn't seem to have realized yet, and this is likely due to the fact she's still too used to manipulating the people around her with her looks (and because she's never met Ryuuji's mom, or has never heard about his dad); every time she tries to use her sexy-attack or her looks to catch his attention, he seems to tune her out to some degree. He, of all people, knows that superficial looks aren't everything... a lesson reinforced by what Kitamura showed him while they were in the family restaurant that first time. And it's not like he hasn't seen sexy women before - just look at his mom.
Haesslich is offline  
Old 2008-12-04, 21:57   Link #46
roan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeitaroNagato View Post
Just finished watching it, not bad, at least Ryuuji is putting the moves on Minorin ^^ Still dont get why Taiga was emotional at the end. She seems upset with something.
This would be a good time for someone to dish out a translation of that scene to see what was going on internally....

But I think that face of Taiga's at the end of the episode already said more than enough.
roan is offline  
Old 2008-12-04, 22:15   Link #47
typhonsentra
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
Looking at the final conversation in this episode, it kinda feels like JC Staff is moving towards pushing Ryuuji into "Dumb male lead" territory where the character loses all ability to detect subtle or even overt flirting from the female cast. It's a little much to accept that he didn't have a clue what Ami was really trying to say.
typhonsentra is offline  
Old 2008-12-04, 22:18   Link #48
KeitaroNagato
Taiga Yea!!!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Taiga isn't sure why ... we can speculate that "her Ryuuji" is more important to her than even she realizes at the moment -- and he's being drawn away from two directions.
You mean, now that Ryuuji has a change with Minorin, that Taiga feels threaten...

typhonsentra
Quote:
Looking at the final conversation in this episode, it kinda feels like JC Staff is moving towards pushing Ryuuji into "Dumb male lead" territory where the character loses all ability to detect subtle or even overt flirting from the female cast. It's a little much to accept that he didn't have a clue what Ami was really trying to say.
I was kinda disappointed with Ryuuji here, he seems like truly a lost dog. I could even understand what Ami was saying indirectly to him, it was so obvious, Ryuuji is so..... agh!!!! I hate his character portrait in here, so useless. The previous episodes he was superb, a total gem, what happen.... agh!!!! Even Yuusaku was better this time around, in a serious tone.

roan

Quote:
This would be a good time for someone to dish out a translation of that scene to see what was going on internally....

But I think that face of Taiga's at the end of the episode already said more than enough.
I could see she is upset, is it because of Ryuuji, I have to watch the episode again. Still Ryuuji's character was week this time around, surprising Ami and Taiga had better character development, which I was amazed. Not sure what JC Staff is pushing forward about Ryuuji, in the novels hes was more efficient and outstanding person, here he totally look lost....
__________________

"Me and Ryuuji just got married...!!!"

Last edited by KeitaroNagato; 2008-12-04 at 22:36.
KeitaroNagato is offline  
Old 2008-12-04, 22:21   Link #49
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
aye, I'm trying to keep in mind he's a "16yr old young man" and therefore prone to bursts of interpretative failure. But it does push the boundary of belief a bit here. I won't be reading this section of the novels til next week to see how it compares.

I'm letting the anime do its thing and then I backfill somewhat by reading sections of the light novel series. That way I'm more prone to judge how the anime stands on its own.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2008-12-04, 22:25   Link #50
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Looking at the final conversation in this episode, it kinda feels like JC Staff is moving towards pushing Ryuuji into "Dumb male lead" territory where the character loses all ability to detect subtle or even overt flirting from the female cast. It's a little much to accept that he didn't have a clue what Ami was really trying to say.
I disagree with that completely, seeing as how he's just pretty much head strong for getting somewhere with Minori and not really up for getting into Ami's obvious pleas. Also considering that Ami was more or less a complete bitch he doesn't need to entitle her to much of anything. He's also far from being the dumb male lead as well, up to the point where I'd call that an insult to his character.

@ Hayashi:

Quote:
Winning more in the context of the girl getting what she wants. In a harem (meaning more than 1 girl) situation, it is a contest of sorts. The loser is left to their own demise to find their own happiness basically disappearing in a bittersweet way. No one wants their favorite character to end that way.
This show is not a harem. It takes care of its characters so well it's the farthest possible thing from a 'harem' imaginable.

And again, this isn't a contest either. Ami is the only one openly vying for attention somehow, while Taiga is shyly advancing towards Kitamura and Ryuji is actually doing quite well with Minori. Yes we know Taiga obviously has something for Ryuji, but this doesn't constitute matters to be some sort of sporting event, this show has alot more class, heart, and appreciation for honesty to lower itself to that type of grade A garbage we've seen too many times before.
__________________
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline  
Old 2008-12-04, 22:33   Link #51
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
Well if you would stop treating this like a 'contest' (as in MY GIRL IS GOING TO WIN) maybe you and a few others would be getting more out of it, no?

This show takes such wonderful care of its characters, it's amazing.
Thank you for being a voice of excellent reason.

People do need to stop looking at this like a contest, indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Winning more in the context of the girl getting what she wants. In a harem (meaning more than 1 girl) situation, it is a contest of sorts. The loser is left to their own demise to find their own happiness basically disappearing in a bittersweet way. No one wants their favorite character to end that way.
Harem is a genre. This is not a harem show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Looking at the final conversation in this episode, it kinda feels like JC Staff is moving towards pushing Ryuuji into "Dumb male lead" territory where the character loses all ability to detect subtle or even overt flirting from the female cast. It's a little much to accept that he didn't have a clue what Ami was really trying to say.
...This is new? He's not exactly the most perceptive of people, not here, or in the novels.

Be thankful he's not as dumb as Shirou Emiya. God, that kid is retarded.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is online now  
Old 2008-12-04, 22:35   Link #52
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Its more like a dynamic mesh relationship with Ami as a wild card adding energy.
Taiga -----> Kitamura (---> Sumire)
?(comrades?schemers?more?)
Ryuuji -----> Minorin (----> unknown but admiring of Ryuuji)
^
Ami (but not quite sure of *which* motives for it are stronger now)

That isn't exactly the energy diagram I'm thinking of but I'm too lazy to draw it and post it.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2008-12-04, 22:36   Link #53
stormy001_M1A2
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
I wonder why people want to do shipping in ToraDora! when it is obvious the title itself already said who is the main couple. The story is all about journey, not destination.

As much as I liked Ami and she is main reason why I read the novels, I don't think her role is to be lover to Ryuji's romance department.
__________________
stormy001_M1A2 is offline  
Old 2008-12-04, 22:45   Link #54
KeitaroNagato
Taiga Yea!!!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post



...This is new? He's not exactly the most perceptive of people, not here, or in the novels.

Be thankful he's not as dumb as Shirou Emiya. God, that kid is retarded.
I agree with you, yet his character here was not the confident "Dragon" that he should be.

In the Past...

The dragon was consider a wise being, knows about its own power and potential, intelligent enough when to use it.

And previous episode he shows that type of trait, in this episode he was.... ARG!!!! I'm gonna make some green tea, want some?
__________________

"Me and Ryuuji just got married...!!!"

Last edited by KeitaroNagato; 2008-12-04 at 22:49. Reason: forgot to add
KeitaroNagato is offline  
Old 2008-12-04, 22:49   Link #55
KeitaroNagato
Taiga Yea!!!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
aye, I'm trying to keep in mind he's a "16yr old young man" and therefore prone to bursts of interpretative failure. But it does push the boundary of belief a bit here. I won't be reading this section of the novels til next week to see how it compares.

I'm letting the anime do its thing and then I backfill somewhat by reading sections of the light novel series. That way I'm more prone to judge how the anime stands on its own.
I understand that Ryuuji as a young man, he is prone to failure, but yet at this point, would he understand the opportunities that lays ahead. It's so obvious what Ami was stating to him, and yet he still didnt get it, BOY.... he is truly a one-track mind.
__________________

"Me and Ryuuji just got married...!!!"
KeitaroNagato is offline  
Old 2008-12-04, 22:55   Link #56
ayu
DUN.DDUN.DDDUN.
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeitaroNagato View Post
I understand that Ryuuji as a young man, he is prone to failure, but yet at this point, would he understand the opportunities that lays ahead. It's so obvious what Ami was stating to him, and yet he still didnt get it, BOY.... he is truly a one-track mind.
Which statement are you referring to? If it's the sun/moon analogy, anyone would be shocked and confused in that situation.

Quote:
I agree with you, yet his character here was not the confident "Dragon" that he should be.

In the Past...

The dragon was consider a wise being, knows about its own power and potential, intelligent enough when to use it.

And previous episode he shows that type of trait, in this episode he was.... ARG!!!! I'm gonna make some green tea, want some?
Since when was he a dragon? I know he mentioned something Toradora-esque, but it was only to tell Taiga that he'll support her.
ayu is offline  
Old 2008-12-04, 23:16   Link #57
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Gave the episode a "10" just on the basis of it packing so much relationship information and revelation in such a small timeframe.

The sun/moon analogy would be much clearer to a japanese youth familiar with such metaphor. (Holds tongue on rest of that thought) Frankly, yeah, Ryuuji is having a bout of over-focus on Minorin (not a bad focus but he's missing the peripheral events with Ami and Taiga).

Ryuuji is sort of monikered with the "dragon" -- he wears a dragon t-shirt and he tries to emulate the dragon -- but being merely mortal doesn't always measure up.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2008-12-04, 23:38   Link #58
RogerOsk
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
This show is not a harem. It takes care of its characters so well it's the farthest possible thing from a 'harem' imaginable.

And again, this isn't a contest either. Ami is the only one openly vying for attention somehow, while Taiga is shyly advancing towards Kitamura and Ryuji is actually doing quite well with Minori. Yes we know Taiga obviously has something for Ryuji, but this doesn't constitute matters to be some sort of sporting event, this show has alot more class, heart, and appreciation for honesty to lower itself to that type of grade A garbage we've seen too many times before.
Exactly. If it was a true harem it would introduce the half dozen girls and their 1 dimensional personality in the first episode, do a bunch of pantsu fanservice fillers for 20 episodes, then tack on some "character development" at the last five minutes (and then do a reset). Taiga is still not pursuing Ryuuji yet at ALL, Minorin doesn't have much of a clue, and Ami's doing it halfheartedly. And all Ryuuji's pursuing is a single girl, so this is a pretty shaky 'harem' we've got here.

All this shipping talk is really starting to get annoying. Not just here, but everywhere. There's tons of great things about this show to talk about, instead of gossiping about "the end" like some kind of cheap soap opera. I'm sure, considering the quality of the show in general, that whatever the end is (Taiga) it'll be satisfying and make sense, so there's no point in raging instead of enjoying the ride. The show doesn't rest on shipping gimmicks to please the fans, so people are naturally going to be dissapointed if they rely on that for their entertainment.

ANYWAYS, goddamn I could only watch the first ten minutes before having to do something else. Going to finish it tonight.
RogerOsk is offline  
Old 2008-12-04, 23:59   Link #59
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeitaroNagato View Post
I understand that Ryuuji as a young man, he is prone to failure, but yet at this point, would he understand the opportunities that lays ahead. It's so obvious what Ami was stating to him, and yet he still didnt get it, BOY.... he is truly a one-track mind.
I really didn't think he missed it entirely.

He's just pretty much impervious to her advances.

Anyway, finally watched the episode. Pretty damned good.

That shot of Taiga at the end was both telling and kinda sad, in a way.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is online now  
Old 2008-12-05, 00:08   Link #60
KeitaroNagato
Taiga Yea!!!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Gave the episode a "10" just on the basis of it packing so much relationship information and revelation in such a small timeframe.

The sun/moon analogy would be much clearer to a japanese youth familiar with such metaphor. (Holds tongue on rest of that thought) Frankly, yeah, Ryuuji is having a bout of over-focus on Minorin (not a bad focus but he's missing the peripheral events with Ami and Taiga).

Ryuuji is sort of monikered with the "dragon" -- he wears a dragon t-shirt and he tries to emulate the dragon -- but being merely mortal doesn't always measure up.
Vexx, I always love your analysis on episodes ^^



Maybe I could translate what Sun and Moon means, here is a poem I dont remember who is from but I guess its understandable, its from Europe but I dont remember the author, but its close to what Ami was stating.



The heaven is bliss, lord has been grateful
upon the horizon, the stars shows my destiny.

Merciful lord!!! Why I cannot be with her?
Is the night my own domain?
Is the eternal silence, my nature?

I've seen with my own eyes, my love
It was a rare occasion thou, a brief moment we were together.
As Day becomes Night, Night become Day.
We were as one.


Time was the essence of our path
Yet time robbed my soul.
Exhausted, you continue endlessly
without delay.

I understand I'm the master of the night
My love is the goddess of the Day.
In her world, shows full of life.
The sky is blue, the tress are green
A pure heart
A body with infinite possibilities

My body hunger, to see her again.
My mind dances with that thought

We are different, yet the same
my love lives at the other side of the world
which I cannot enter.

Oh lord, when will be my time?
I will eternally wait until god has spoken,
to the time when we meet again.



I'm not sure if you understand it, but its a love story of two beings, basically the moon and the sun. The "moon" is totally different from the sun, his nature is always the night, and he is opposite from the sun based on the "silence" that night comes with, also there is a reference that night is the end of life, not the beginning "...which I cannot enter". The "sun" is opposite from the moon, she is based on a world were life strives, a soul where happiness and opportunities continues, " ...A body with infinite possibilities". Also,the only time when the moon and sun is one, is when an eclipse happens, that only last for a few minutes. Even though he understand that he loves her, but they are different from each other, its like fishing for fishes without a rod. The only sadness of this poem that he will always wait for her, yet she continues her own life without a thought, "....you continue endlessly without delay."

Its not a good reference, yet its almost the similar to what Ami was stating to Ryuuji. What I understand on what Ami was saying to Ryuuji and Minorin are opposite from each other, even if he does date her, it will be brief moment that it will not last. He needs someone that understand him, knows him best. In this case Taiga and perhaps Ami.
__________________

"Me and Ryuuji just got married...!!!"

Last edited by KeitaroNagato; 2008-12-05 at 00:25. Reason: last sentence added
KeitaroNagato is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.