AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Kannagi

Notices

View Poll Results: Kannagi - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 39 32.77%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 31 26.05%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 18.49%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 12.61%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 4.20%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 3.36%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.84%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.84%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.84%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-12-09, 13:04   Link #81
typhonsentra
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
I'd personally prefer if they just ignored the story from this point on actually. It's probably the weakest aspect of the show.
typhonsentra is offline  
Old 2008-12-09, 16:12   Link #82
Itlandm
Porcupine
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Norway
Age: 55
I think Vexx nailed it for me: Kannagi is too short a series for this. I would have enjoyed it in a longer series, but knowing that we only have a couple weeks left, I have to wonder what purpose it serves. When I say Jin should have stayed with the Lucky Star cast, I mean that Kannagi has become in its own way a new Lucky Star: Character-driven, otaku-centered, with quick situation comedy. If there was a story - and it seemed like it, at a time - it seems to have been left for dead. I can't see them doing anything to the relationships or the whole kami thing now - there just isn't room for it without feeling rushed or forced. So let them just stay with Lucky Star for the rest of the episodes - it was one of my favorites anyway, but very different from what I had expected of Kannagi.
Itlandm is offline  
Old 2008-12-09, 16:32   Link #83
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Plus, really, have you folk NEVER ever sung in a karaoke box with friends before?
I don't think Karaoke boxes even exist in my country, I only learned about them from watching anime.
__________________

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Samatarou is offline  
Old 2008-12-09, 18:43   Link #84
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itlandm View Post
I think Vexx nailed it for me: Kannagi is too short a series for this. I would have enjoyed it in a longer series, but knowing that we only have a couple weeks left, I have to wonder what purpose it serves. When I say Jin should have stayed with the Lucky Star cast, I mean that Kannagi has become in its own way a new Lucky Star: Character-driven, otaku-centered, with quick situation comedy. If there was a story - and it seemed like it, at a time - it seems to have been left for dead. I can't see them doing anything to the relationships or the whole kami thing now - there just isn't room for it without feeling rushed or forced. So let them just stay with Lucky Star for the rest of the episodes - it was one of my favorites anyway, but very different from what I had expected of Kannagi.
aye, at this point I'd rather see them finish out on fillers than try to "resolve" anything in terms of the Kami Problem or even relationships ..... they've just now established the conundrum. I'd like to think the writing team just got word there's a second season in the offing and to stall til they reframe the story arcs.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-12-09 at 19:00.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2008-12-09, 18:53   Link #85
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 27
I'm new to Kannagi, I just watched 10 straight episodes.

I've always wanted to watch it, its just not on the top of my watch list yet. But because I saw the Lucky Star cameo from this episode, that pic is all over the internet, it instantly went to the top of my list.

The show is really funny, great character interactions, and otaku fun is always nice.

Tsugumi being my favourite of the wonderful cast, it saddens me this episode from how she fails to get the attention of Jin. And Zange continues to drop down the rankings of my favourites.
__________________
No longer a NEET so I'll not be online as often.
Ignore gender and kick sexuality to the curb!
I'm a big mecha fan, who keeps playing the SRW series.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline  
Old 2008-12-09, 19:28   Link #86
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
I'm new to Kannagi, I just watched 10 straight episodes.
Shome mistake surely, there ain't ten straight episodes in Kannagi and that's a fact.

Quote:
Tsugumi being my favourite of the wonderful cast, it saddens me this episode from how she fails to get the attention of Jin. And Zange continues to drop down the rankings of my favourites.
The character development has been very clever, no-one paid any attention to Tsugumi at first saying she was a feeble character, yet now she's everyone's favourite, precisely because she's so feeble. It's rather like Minori in Toradora, where she was seen as the inconsequential gag character at first but now everyone is talking about her.
__________________

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Samatarou is offline  
Old 2008-12-09, 19:35   Link #87
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
Shome mistake surely, there ain't ten straight episodes in Kannagi and that's a fact.
Hmmm are we seeing different meanings here? Maybe wrong arrangement of sentence lol

Maybe: I'm new to Kannagi, I just watched 10 episodes straight.

I liked Tsugumi pretty early, maybe because I prefer sweet normal girls. Nagi has been my second favourite since Tsugumi appeared in episode 2.

Because I watched 10 episodes in a single shot, the ways the characters felt for me could be a little different from you guys who waited each episode weekly and discussed about them here.

Of course, for every anime I watched that has a sub-forum, I'll always look through every single thread. Luckily Kannagi doesn't have that much posts compared to Nanoha(which I fail to read through them all lol).
__________________
No longer a NEET so I'll not be online as often.
Ignore gender and kick sexuality to the curb!
I'm a big mecha fan, who keeps playing the SRW series.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline  
Old 2008-12-09, 21:10   Link #88
bloodyknight
Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Just one comment... Darn!!! Where did Takako came from?! She's amazing!!!
bloodyknight is offline  
Old 2008-12-10, 00:21   Link #89
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
Age: 33
Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
I don't think Karaoke boxes even exist in my country, I only learned about them from watching anime.
I assume you live in Singapore (or thereabouts), and I've visited the Lion City enough times to think that it would be wierd NOT to have a Karaoke establishment there. In Metro Manila, for example, they're fairly common (went with my team and the boss to one just last Saturday in fact), if a mite costly (much like any night out).

Seeing your teammates sing their hearts out, or out of tune, certainly makes for a lot of fun blackmail material, and doubly so if it's the BOSS who does it.
__________________
Myssa Rei is offline  
Old 2008-12-10, 00:29   Link #90
Utau
Butler mitai~
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 智代の部屋
Send a message via MSN to Utau
Filipino's seem to be quite fond of Karaoke's, so yeah it's common. I know many people who likes singing in karaoke boxes, bars or even in their homes to have fun or pass time whenever they have nothing to do or free.

but in terms of services, i haven't seen any place more convenient than Japanese karaoke boxes they come equipped with phone lines
__________________


Status Quo: MIA
Utau is offline  
Old 2008-12-10, 01:13   Link #91
FateAnomaly
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Nagi is my fav char mainly because of the OP i think. I was so hoping she would sing the OP song but she had to sing some lame song....
However, i am rooting for the main character to go with Tsugumi. I especially like the scenes when she scolded herself for being "bad".

Anyway, there used to be karaoke establishment in Singapore. Not sure if they are around anymore but there are probably a couple still around. Never been to one or interested in going anyway. Singing isn't my type of recreation.
FateAnomaly is offline  
Old 2008-12-10, 01:34   Link #92
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
Age: 33
Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utau View Post
But in terms of services, i haven't seen any place more convenient than Japanese karaoke boxes they come equipped with phone lines
The large upscale ones like Red Box (in Greenbelt 3 at Makati) follow the Japanese room setup with phones to Customer Service. Very convenient for reordering drinks and food when everyone else won't leave their seats.
__________________
Myssa Rei is offline  
Old 2008-12-10, 03:25   Link #93
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 30
I don't know why so many people are lamenting a lack of progress when the more serious plot-driven stuff really isn't this show's strength, IMO. Not compared with the comedy, anyway. Twelve episodes strikes me as the perfect length for this series since it's basically leaving the stage before the comedy even gets a chance to get old. Too many comedy anime overstay their welcome, IMO.

As far as the romance is concerned, is it really that interesting? These aren't exceptionally deep characters. This isn't Toradora, where story, characters and comedy are sufficiently interweaved that they're inseparable, and a conclusion to the romance is basically the primary hook. I've always seen the "romance" in this show as more of a foundation for the awkward, comedic character interactions; in other words, more an excuse for the characters to be awkward and/or antagonistic around each other.

My feelings have always been that, while the comedy is still this funny, let this show focus on comedy, even if it comes at the expense of plot. Unlike Toradora, this show can separate comedy and plot and still stand on its legs just fine. It's kinda strange, I know, since the show started off as being plot-driven, but rather abruptly changed to (mostly) slice-of-life. I'm guessing most people expect it to change back to plot-driven again before the end, and I think it's because people aren't used to a slice-of-life series based on a precarious equilibrium like this one. When we usually watch slice-of-life there's basically nothing to be resolved, since that implies that there's a plot coming soon. Here we have a mountain of stuff that's unresolved. But, is it really that bad a thing that it doesn't get resolved in this case? In all honesty, I really don't think it is.
Sorrow-K is offline  
Old 2008-12-10, 03:55   Link #94
Oxtail
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utau View Post
Filipino's seem to be quite fond of Karaoke's, so yeah it's common. I know many people who likes singing in karaoke boxes, bars or even in their homes to have fun or pass time whenever they have nothing to do or free.

but in terms of services, i haven't seen any place more convenient than Japanese karaoke boxes they come equipped with phone lines

The karaoke box they showed in this episode is positively primitive compared the ones I used to frequent in Taipei.
Oxtail is offline  
Old 2008-12-10, 04:07   Link #95
Zippicus
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, MI
This wasn't my favorite episode but I didn't hate it or anything. That being said, Takako was awesome. Nagi's song was like wtf in a good way
Zippicus is offline  
Old 2008-12-10, 04:55   Link #96
Dop
We can't stop here...
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
That was daft but it was fun.

Takako came very close to doing a Ranka-style '*kira*', which would have been hilarious if she had.

I loved the way Zange was very superior, saying she was going to make a CD, then couldn't carry a tune in a bucket.

They're definitely milking the Jin/Daitetsu pairing now, what with the way Jin was looking at Daitetsu while he sang, then the juxtapositions in the toilet scene.

But still, Yamamoto-san - It must have hurt to get sacked, but seriously dude, let it lie...
Dop is offline  
Old 2008-12-10, 05:51   Link #97
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itlandm View Post
I think Vexx nailed it for me: Kannagi is too short a series for this. I would have enjoyed it in a longer series, but knowing that we only have a couple weeks left, I have to wonder what purpose it serves.
If I said it's a last "hurrah" of sorts would I be saying too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
This isn't Toradora, where story, characters and comedy are sufficiently interweaved that they're inseparable, and a conclusion to the romance is basically the primary hook.
Should you really be expecting Toradora to have a conclusive romantic ending when the light novels it's based on are still ongoing? Though it will be obvious what the intended pairing is but hey it was obvious from episode 1 anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
But still, Yamamoto-san - It must have hurt to get sacked, but seriously dude, let it lie...
First time was "lol", second was "hmmm" and third is "bitter director is bitter".
Westlo is offline  
Old 2008-12-10, 06:03   Link #98
d-one
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
honestly I thin this ep. meant only for people that already try karaoke.

it's really fun since the situation really show how people from new to expert at singing in karaoke in the real life

I really enjoy this ep. since I know the feeling and the character really express it good
d-one is offline  
Old 2008-12-10, 06:04   Link #99
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Should you really be expecting Toradora to have a conclusive romantic ending when the light novels it's based on are still ongoing? Though it will be obvious what the intended pairing is but hey it was obvious from episode 1 anyway.
If Toradora didn't have a conclusive ending, I'd be disappointed. Unlike Kannagi, Toradora is story-driven. If it doesn't have an ending, it's an incomplete story. This can kinda get away with not having an ending, because it's story isn't the primary hook.

Edit: I always get disappointed when a series based on an ongoing manga/novel doesn't have a conclusive ending. It makes it a poor narrative, because you get the feeling that the whole thing was just an advertisement for the source material rather than its own complete story. I know this usually doesn't happen, especially these days as sequels have become so lucrative, but I'd rather an anime based on an ongoing manga/novel to have a crappy, original ending than to have no ending at all.
Sorrow-K is offline  
Old 2008-12-10, 06:06   Link #100
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
First time was "lol", second was "hmmm" and third is "bitter director is bitter".
On the one hand, yes, he does need to let go. On the other, Lucky Star reference! Rock on!
Anh_Minh is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.