AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 26 29.21%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 31 34.83%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 22.47%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 12.36%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.12%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-12-12, 02:23   Link #61
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
@Nighaligned: Having a student living alone to attend a high school they passed the entrance exams to get into is a pretty standard trope of high school stories (gets those pesky parents off stage). This series is already proving a bit unusual in that we're going to get "dysfunctional family onstage" (sound the klaxon).

In real life, students attending a high school too far from home usually stay with relatives or rent into a boarding dorm.

In this case, Taiga's family was going to hell - leaving her to her own devices and she wanted to get away from them. Dad is apparently well-to-do and a wuss - gives daughter whatever she asks for.

Question: have you seen the previous episodes?

@KeitaroNagato: yeah.. he *could* have used less force, but he didn't. And we'll get to see the results of that.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2008-12-12, 02:34   Link #62
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
I cried during this episode. As usual, I wrote my analysis and reaction here. Kindly read and comment there. Thanks.
physics223 is offline  
Old 2008-12-12, 02:35   Link #63
Freya
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern California.
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to Freya
Hmm so many ideas lol. Ierno I didn't think too much of the money thing. I mean he is the one giving the money. Didn't seem like a threat to me. Oh well.

Good episode nonetheless. Though Toradora isn't as organized as the other animes like Gundam 00 and ......yeah, Toradora is my favorite for now since CG ended.

Oh yeah. I feel sorry for the teacher. She's in denial.
__________________
Freya is offline  
Old 2008-12-12, 02:36   Link #64
NighAligned
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
@Vexx

I see your point and thanks for the info. Admittedly, I have recently developed a strong interest in anime and don't know much about Japanese culture. It just seemed strange that a wealthy man under any circumstance would leave his daughter (who I assume was pampered) without a servant or guardian of some sort to take care of her. It could even be an interesting plot point to have one, I think. In hindsight, my remark did not really pertain to this particular episode, although I have seen the rest.
NighAligned is offline  
Old 2008-12-12, 02:50   Link #65
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
I cried during this episode. As usual, I wrote my analysis and reaction here. Kindly read and comment there. Thanks.
Not much I can add to that.... spot on.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2008-12-12, 02:57   Link #66
wistfulloner
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Singapore
I think Taiga's Dad was blinded, blinded by his new lover and ignorant to his daughter's needs. It might be because of her traits, but Taiga's personality is very likely caused by her father's ignorance to her. In Ep2 she said that no one understands her; now i know what she really means. However, what her father did should be forgivable by Taiga, even if he had emotionally scarred her. She should recognize her father's desires and wants on top of her own.

But this is not to say that Taiga's Dad is an angel, far from it. I can almost tell this is going to change things drastically, whichever way the story continues.

EDIT:

NighAligned, i agree with your review; this certainly was a tearjerker.

There is one thing i would like to point out though. I don't think Taiga went very far emotionally in the last scene; she did everything, everything for Ryuuji's sake. She could see he was troubled by her behavior, and didn't want to upset him any further. So, she told him she would "pretend"., and Ryuuji thought this might be a start. In truth, i don't think Taiga would want to reconciliate at all with her father because she hates him so much.

Just her personality, i guess.
wistfulloner is offline  
Old 2008-12-12, 03:06   Link #67
satuross
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
well, we probably dont have to worry about the dad cheating or not, since he probably cant get anymore kids anyways (ouch).

So the taiga+papa drama is actually going on? i tot its gonna end at that, since that last scene seems like a conclusion to me. it would be too much to fit moare drama AND the school festival in one episode next right? right? right?
satuross is offline  
Old 2008-12-12, 03:14   Link #68
wistfulloner
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Singapore
Fortunately (at least for me), thats what the J.C. staff excel at doing: wrapping up huge amounts of story and drama in a presentable and palatable package.

It shouldn't end there, after all, Taiga just put on a show, so she hasn't fully accepted her Dad yet.

Oh yea, what a nut cracker that was.
wistfulloner is offline  
Old 2008-12-12, 03:27   Link #69
Nenkitsune
Ive been MikuCaramellized
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caster13 View Post
It's wonderful to see Ryuuji being genuinely and seriously selfish for once, even if he's simply unconsciously projecting onto Taiga. At the same time, however, Ryuuji wanting the relationship between Taiga and her father healed could end up pulling Taiga away from Ryuuji. I think Taiga realizes this and that might be one reason why she's tried so hard to keep her father away.

There's no doubt the fight between Ryuuji and Taiga at the end of the episode is the most powerful scene of the episode, if not the series so far. Every time Taiga screamed "I don't need him!" I wished that she'd reveal all of her feelings and say "I need you" instead.

I can't wait for the next episode.

Addendum:


Missed that on the first watch of the episode. Intense!
I agree on this for sure. especially when Taiga finally gives in to Ryuuji and says that she'll go, and to stop making that face of his. sort of like in a way she was telling him "If you don't want to be with me that much, I'll go."
__________________

もいちど。。。
Nenkitsune is offline  
Old 2008-12-12, 03:31   Link #70
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
yeah.... that was really heartbreaking and had multiple layers including the one you describe.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2008-12-12, 03:31   Link #71
risingstar3110
Dead Master ★ BRS
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Either it was a mistake by directing/ story planning or Taiga's father seems not so calculating/careful enough to have evil motives

I means he give Ruuji such a thick package of money without really questioning his identity (despite his delinquent eyes). That's obviously a silly move since a careful guy can't trust a stranger that easily. And he can just transfer money into Taiga's bank account after the meeting instead of hand it to some one else. So whatever motives he have, it doesn't involve money, or his gain would be so huge that he can't care about small amounts
Another thing: he went so far as withdraw the money out of his daughter's bank account so he can meet her, but then immediately went to her apartment to see her when Taiga didn't come the first time. Shouldn't he do the other way around: visit her first, before withdraw the money to force her see him?

Have no idea what is the story behind that, but the only explanation i can come up is: her father's new wife is quite evil, and due to some argument with the ex-wife (taiga's mom still alive, right?) she recklessly withdrew all the money from Taiga's bank account to "revenge" or force the ex-wife paying for Taiga's living expense instead. When Taiga's father realised that, he decided to divorce her and want Taiga back. Or all of those are just acts because Taiga will soon inherit a huge amount of money and her guardian will have control over that cash.


PS: I will say the chance that Taiga'll goes back and live with his father till the end of the series will be like 1%. Would like it to happen through
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline  
Old 2008-12-12, 03:36   Link #72
wistfulloner
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Singapore
As a Dad i think he should know Taiga's personality. No matter how hard he tried, he knew his daughter would not see him if he didn't use pressure. So he went to drastic measures first.
wistfulloner is offline  
Old 2008-12-12, 03:52   Link #73
satuross
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
I means he give Ruuji such a thick package of money without really questioning his identity
remember. he is rich. if one can give a luxurious 3 roomed apartment for their daughter complete with furniture and allowance, he must at least be a multi millionaire (im talking having at least a billion yen) or something (billion as in 1,000,000,000 not 1,000,000,000,000)


a pack of 10,000 notes is probably nothing to him. probably can pay of half a months rent for that apartment .... :P

anyways, as always. it makes us hafta wait for next week for more development. rats.
satuross is offline  
Old 2008-12-12, 03:55   Link #74
risingstar3110
Dead Master ★ BRS
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
As a Dad i think he should know Taiga's personality. No matter how hard he tried, he knew his daughter would not see him if he didn't use pressure. So he went to drastic measures first.
But he called her few times first, then used pressure by taking her money, then visited her apartment lot.

It's not like he is not allowed to do so, but the only reason Taiga go see him with such combo is because Ruuji persuading her, and the only reason Ruuji did that is because he had to meet him(and realised his personality) for Taiga's living expense. There's no way Taiga's father could predict all that.
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline  
Old 2008-12-12, 03:56   Link #75
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
This episode was terribly animated. Yet, it was touching and awesome.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline  
Old 2008-12-12, 04:20   Link #76
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Either it was a mistake by directing/ story planning or Taiga's father seems not so calculating/careful enough to have evil motives
I love it when people are so eager to jump on to poor writing (people are still too eager to fault JC Staff?) and that someone must be all calculating to be "evil". This is part 1 of a 3 part story so really - don't jump to conclusion. If anything the whole part 1 should be very telling that this is a setup, an introduction, to a bigger story (hey even essays goes introduction, body and conclusion!).

Story is just beginning, just keep watching.
__________________
My twitter - not really seiyuu-centred so follow at your own risk
Celebrities I've talked to in person
Mizuki Nana, Chiba Saeko, Shimizu Ai, Shimokawa Mikuni, Chihara Minori, Tamura Yukari, Nakahara Mai, Sakai Kanako
houkoholic is offline  
Old 2008-12-12, 04:50   Link #77
risingstar3110
Dead Master ★ BRS
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
I love it when people are so eager to jump on to poor writing (people are still too eager to fault JC Staff?) and that someone must be all calculating to be "evil". This is part 1 of a 3 part story so really - don't jump to conclusion. If anything the whole part 1 should be very telling that this is a setup, an introduction, to a bigger story (hey even essays goes introduction, body and conclusion!).

Story is just beginning, just keep watching.
If based on what you said then the next few chapters would clearly explain why such and such happened in the "introduction".

I loves unexpected events, so will be eager waiting to watch them.

Hope they will not disappoint me
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline  
Old 2008-12-12, 04:58   Link #78
arkxkra
全力全開
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Non-management 97th world
good episode.
the class meeting for the activity I speechless, the sensei, .
Taiga father abit like too funny (?), hope to explain more on next episode or so.
__________________
arkxkra is offline  
Old 2008-12-12, 05:26   Link #79
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Thanks for your kind comments, guys! Keep them coming!
physics223 is offline  
Old 2008-12-12, 05:36   Link #80
Bathory Area
Jigoku Shoujo
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: House of Twilight
Nice EP.Taiga is messed up a little but if you noticed, through the episodes she is slowly becoming better. Same with Ami, but she is still way snotty.
*Next ep will be about Yuri Koigakubo-Sensei.Yeah,it looks fun.
__________________
Bathory Area is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.