AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-12-11, 02:10   Link #21
RAVNEN
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: malim nawar,malaysia
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to RAVNEN
Bad thing will happen if Hollywood make Japanese mecha live action film.
Perhaps they should have Tobey as hero(if he know what Macross is all about) & Japanese actor as heroin.Hopefully all the old & new mecha make appearance.

If the film fail,I bet those Japanese original creator won't recognized the story as canon.Like what happen to those so called Gundam live action movie.
__________________
RAVNEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-11, 03:56   Link #22
Shadow Kira01
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PMB Headquarters
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Only Iijima Mari can be Minmay, no one else in the world.
Considering that Hirano Aya did not do the Death Note live-action Misa Amane roles or the upcoming The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya as Suzumiya Haruhi, I don't see why Iijima Mari should do the Lynn Minmey one.

More over, Hollywood has their own stars to choose from, especially that Tobey Maguire (Spiderman) is going to be in it. One way or the other, anything that occurs in the movie won't be canon in terms of relations to the original anime.
__________________
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-11, 11:56   Link #23
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Neverlands
Age: 37
Unlike this thread, I just hope they let the idea die
__________________
NightbatŪ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-13, 08:43   Link #24
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mortuary : D
I should have posted earlier but time and memory wasn't on my side

The other day I Googled up the movie several times I could find any new reports on the movie . All reports articles and news regarding the movie date back to 2007 . So yes the movie is most likely shelved
__________________
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-14, 10:15   Link #25
Crimrui
Hollow
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: River of solitude
Send a message via Skype™ to Crimrui
I don't know know about this. Maybe the mech battles and plot could be cool as a popcorn movie, but they will probably take their English actor and call her Minmay. They gave the name Goku to Justin Chatwin so they could do the same here.

That aside what the hell will they do with the music? I'm not sure if they will have the Japanese songs and insert some of their own English ones. That would be blasphemy =(
__________________
Crimrui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-14, 14:48   Link #26
Tommy
Mr. Prince
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Age: 31
I predict epic failure.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 18:23   Link #27
harmonious
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
I expect a unique story. The pro-UN story of Macross won't go over well with the American audience.
harmonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-18, 10:10   Link #28
jsu718
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
As to the licensing issue, this was shown most obviously in the creation of the figures way back in the day. Basically Harmony Gold had the rights to do whatever they wanted with what they ended up making as Robotech, but couldn't use anything at all from the Macross versions, or anything later Macross related. So they were limited to the two VF models shown in the initial section from the Macross Saga, the SDF-1, and the stuff from Southern Cross and Mospeada. Harmony Gold basically blocked almost everything remotely Macross related in the US, and Macross almost didn't exist here other than imports. In Japan though, it was the opposite, as Robotech in itself didn't exist... which made sense since the three unrelated series that were used for Robotech were released there individually, as well as quite a bit of other Macross related media.

For the new movie, I sincerely hope it gets released, since almost everything that has been attempted Robotech related over the years has just fallen apart. I was one of the lucky few that actually got to watch the original Robotech movie way back in the day (yay Texas!)

If the current pattern in Hollywood is any indication it will probably be a "reimagining" of the original series, with a heavy focus on the Macross Saga section, so fans such as myself will be happy. Also while WB does have the license as far as producing the movie, Harmony Gold does still have creative control, so they might screw it all up like they have tried to screw up everything else Robotech over the years... or it could be like Batman and end up being awesome.
jsu718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-19, 00:31   Link #29
Robotnik
Not a member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
IMO the only way it would get made would be make original "reimagined" versions of the basic "Robotech" elements (alien invasion, transforming mecha, the character types involved in the love triangle, etc) and not use any of the old names/images/designs tied to the various rights holders - like someone above said, make it the new Battlestar Galactica with mecha. And frankly, the Minmei/pop idol angle would be laughable to mainstream viewers - not sure how to make that workable. I suppose they'd watch if she were more like the Bettie Page of the war against the aliens, but that's laughable in it's own way...

Maybe this got shelved because of the live action Transformers movie; too similar in Hollywood's eyes (transforming robots).
Robotnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-19, 01:47   Link #30
RAVNEN
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: malim nawar,malaysia
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to RAVNEN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotnik View Post
IMO the only way it would get made would be make original "reimagined" versions of the basic "Robotech" elements (alien invasion, transforming mecha, the character types involved in the love triangle, etc) and not use any of the old names/images/designs tied to the various rights holders - like someone above said, make it the new Battlestar Galactica with mecha. And frankly, the Minmei/pop idol angle would be laughable to mainstream viewers - not sure how to make that workable. I suppose they'd watch if she were more like the Bettie Page of the war against the aliens, but that's laughable in it's own way...

Maybe this got shelved because of the live action Transformers movie; too similar in Hollywood's eyes (transforming robots).
I agree 100% on that,make a new one.

Perhaps Hollywood should forget making Macross/Robotech movie.Why don't they make BattleTech movie instead.It is more American way & it doesn't need alien race to spice it story.BattleTech has strong storyline,awesome mecha & also has huge fanbase. It is little bit off topic sorry....
__________________
RAVNEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-19, 05:16   Link #31
Ichihara Asako
Horoist
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
The other day I Googled up the movie several times I could find any new reports on the movie . All reports articles and news regarding the movie date back to 2007 . So yes the movie is most likely shelved
Really?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/conv...-expo/robotech

Quote:
Yune ended his presentation with some information about the proposed live-action Robotech movie. He confirmed that Warner Brothers is planning it, and that Tobey Maguire is involved. The script is beng written by Lawrence Kasdan, whose credits include Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Empire Strikes Back, and The Bodyguard. The movie is planned as a re-imagining of the Robotech universe, and will take place in the future.
That's from July of this year.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Spide...ech-10902.html is from a few weeks ago, and has confirmed the writing staff. The movie is slated for a 2010 release according to IMDB.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-19, 13:08   Link #32
einhorn303
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotnik View Post
And frankly, the Minmei/pop idol angle would be laughable to mainstream viewers - not sure how to make that workable.
Hey, if the audience can get into something as cheesy as Dr. Who, I think they can get into this.

This movie is going to be awesome. That is, if it actually gets made.

It would be best if they do the Macross Arc of Robotech, I think it has a really classical story and way of storytelling.

Of course, what I'd really like to see is a Battletech live-action movie. Oh hey, and Ravnen thought the same thing. I'm in the middle of a huge Battletech nostalgia surge, with the end of finals and all. The "Blood of Kerensky" trilogy...would be so awesome.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-19, 13:14   Link #33
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVNEN View Post
I agree 100% on that,make a new one.

Perhaps Hollywood should forget making Macross/Robotech movie.Why don't they make BattleTech movie instead.It is more American way & it doesn't need alien race to spice it story.BattleTech has strong storyline,awesome mecha & also has huge fanbase. It is little bit off topic sorry....
oh yes, give me a battletech movie. Hopefully form the pre-victor years. Maybe the Grey Death legions?
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-19, 13:53   Link #34
RAVNEN
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: malim nawar,malaysia
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to RAVNEN
Quote:
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Spide...ech-10902.html is from a few weeks ago, and has confirmed the writing staff. The movie is slated for a 2010 release according to IMDB.
Holy!!!there will be Macross/Robotech movies? Hopefully they would do it briliantly with those awesome writing staff.

Quote:
oh yes, give me a battletech movie. Hopefully form the pre-victor years. Maybe the Grey Death legions?
Yeah,I'm also hope someone would do a Battletech movies that focus on pre-victor years or maybe the mercenaries storyline.

Spoiler for Source from Wikipedia,dont know if it true.:


Maybe there will be no BattleTech movie until 2010 or the project would be scrap. Hollywood has miss an opportunity to make another blockbuster of the year by ignoring BattleTech.
__________________
RAVNEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-19, 17:34   Link #35
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako View Post
The movie is slated for a 2010 release according to IMDB.
Yup. While it's impossible to say for certain how the film will turn out, there's also no indication that the production is losing any steam. The only question mark about it (aside from the obvious legal issues) is that Kasdan got dropped as the writer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotnik View Post
IMO the only way it would get made would be make original "reimagined" versions of the basic "Robotech" elements (alien invasion, transforming mecha, the character types involved in the love triangle, etc) and not use any of the old names/images/designs tied to the various rights holders - like someone above said, make it the new Battlestar Galactica with mecha. And frankly, the Minmei/pop idol angle would be laughable to mainstream viewers - not sure how to make that workable. I suppose they'd watch if she were more like the Bettie Page of the war against the aliens, but that's laughable in it's own way...
One of the reasons why this thread doesn't belong in the Macross forum is precisely because we don't know whether this movie will have anything to do with Macross. In fact, the legal wrangling over rights would suggest that it'll be based on one of the less controversial parts of the story. It is possible that Warner Brothers negotiated with Big West for the Macross rights, but I have yet to hear anything on this score even with all the attention on Macross over the last year, so I rather doubt it. Obviously ongoing negotiations aren't going to show up in the press, but it unlikely that they'd go so far in pre-production before securing the necessary rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotnik View Post
Maybe this got shelved because of the live action Transformers movie; too similar in Hollywood's eyes (transforming robots).
There's no maybe about it: the initial announcements all said that the project was green-lighted because of the success of Transformers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVNEN View Post
Perhaps Hollywood should forget making Macross/Robotech movie.Why don't they make BattleTech movie instead.It is more American way & it doesn't need alien race to spice it story.BattleTech has strong storyline,awesome mecha & also has huge fanbase. It is little bit off topic sorry....
In North America, the Robotech franchise is far better known than the Battletech one. Aside from the relatively few people who are familiar with the boardgame, it's only really known by people who have played the computer games (and to a lesser degree, the console games). Robotech, on the other hand, was a relatively popular cartoon that can draw on a lot of nostalgia.

Moreover, most parts of Robotech are either fairly simple stories or they can be modified to be fairly simple stories, and that's a big bonus when trying to craft a plot that can be easily communicated over a 90-120 minute movie. Battletech's greatest strength, on the other hand, is found in the complexity of the setting. There's enough to communicate to first-time viewers that it's a huge challenge to accomplish in such a short timeframe. While it's not impossible, it's certainly a much bigger challenge than a Robotech movie would be. On top of that, if any movie is ever made, it would have to be far more diluted in detail than a Battletech fan may want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
Of course, what I'd really like to see is a Battletech live-action movie. Oh hey, and Ravnen thought the same thing. I'm in the middle of a huge Battletech nostalgia surge, with the end of finals and all. The "Blood of Kerensky" trilogy...would be so awesome.
"Blood of Kerensky" wouldn't work as a movie at all. Not only would the studio have to commit to at least three films, but it's horribly complicated and there isn't even a single main character to simplify matters. And even that won't even be close to covering the events properly since there are no fewer than four Clan factions and five Inner Sphere factions to address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
oh yes, give me a battletech movie. Hopefully form the pre-victor years. Maybe the Grey Death legions?
As far as that goes, I think that a dramatization of the "Wolves on the Border" would work well since it doesn't get into the really labyrinthian plots or settings, and it can bring across the feeling of 'Mech battles very well.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-20, 03:24   Link #36
RAVNEN
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: malim nawar,malaysia
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to RAVNEN
Quote:
In North America, the Robotech franchise is far better known than the Battletech one. Aside from the relatively few people who are familiar with the boardgame, it's only really known by people who have played the computer games (and to a lesser degree, the console games). Robotech, on the other hand, was a relatively popular cartoon that can draw on a lot of nostalgia.

Moreover, most parts of Robotech are either fairly simple stories or they can be modified to be fairly simple stories, and that's a big bonus when trying to craft a plot that can be easily communicated over a 90-120 minute movie. Battletech's greatest strength, on the other hand, is found in the complexity of the setting. There's enough to communicate to first-time viewers that it's a huge challenge to accomplish in such a short timeframe. While it's not impossible, it's certainly a much bigger challenge than a Robotech movie would be. On top of that, if any movie is ever made, it would have to be far more diluted in detail than a Battletech fan may want.
I agree with you. I've heard some rumor that BattleTech are quite popular in Europe.I guess many people dig big mecha & awesome firepower.

I still wonder why Tobey Maguire want to make Macross/Robotech movie,is he a hardcore anime fan? Hopefully he does,I wonder which character he gonna be,maybe Scott Bernand?
__________________
RAVNEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.