AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Toradora!

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 17 21.52%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 45 56.96%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 15.19%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 6.33%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-12-19, 22:38   Link #81
Hypernova
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Age: 28
my theory:

The Dad is a loan shark and that's where he gets all his money from. Minorin's family is one of the victims and is the reason why she takes so many jobs. The look up close comment is about possible scars indicating crime history.

And Ami is so mature this ep its kinda scary.
Hypernova is offline  
Old 2008-12-19, 23:12   Link #82
bloodyknight
Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenkitsune View Post
I got the same feeling from Taiga's dad. The fact that Minorin reacted that way only further strengthens that belief, that Taiga's dad, is a very very very dangerous person.
Yes, he is a dangerous father... and a heartless and ungrateful one... Isn't that why Taiga left him in the first place?

Taiga has decided to give him a second chance for the sake of Ryuji... I think she should. But I believe she knows this is the last chance she has for her father. If that guy screw up and become what Minori think he is, that is the end of their relationship no matter what Ryuji says...

Let's just hope that this is not the chance Taiga will regret giving... Byt judging by her character, I believe she will know what to do when the time comes.
bloodyknight is offline  
Old 2008-12-20, 00:05   Link #83
Beo
where's the snow?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
And there are still half the season left. The relationships is what this is about, not Taiga's father.
Beo is offline  
Old 2008-12-20, 00:44   Link #84
Peachys
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
really, hope the matter behind taiga's father lives up with the expectations built up by kushieda's reaction

the situation is analogous to a wedding when the question "If anyone have reason why these two should not be wed together, now is the time to object or forever hold your peace" child/parent relationship is (id assume) obviously not a normal one as well

thus the question lies how can the father's situation be on one hand, not so bad that Taiga was able to alteast bare with it, even coming to enjoy/anticipate her father's company again

vs

being so bad that Kushieda, being an outsider to the family, jump in, tell Taiga to not trust her father and invading that kind of bond

Thus giving such routes as mentioned previously, such as rape (although this is pretty extreme, as if it was true then kushieda wouldnt stop at just Ryuji's words, i imagine something that serious she would still go to taiga, rape is serious and dangerous stuff :/)

thus making a more moderate route plasuible, just him being a selfish ungrateful father (of course this doesnt seem THAT bad, i mean compared to rape, thus Ryuji's feelings makes sense, being one without a father, having a merely ungreatful would not be anywhere near as bad as he could imagine)

+ combined with possibly kushieda's overexpressive self, (which is both a good thing(normally), and can also be, as seen in this case, a bad thing) to be the reason of her mettling. Its not that hes done anything TOO horrific, but because of her overexpressive nature, something "slightly moderate" as an ungrateful father to be blown into something that could be translated as >_> well rape


thus my guess is that this is the route they will be taking, as it would further extend some qualities about Kushieda's personality, her relationship with Ryuji at the cost of TaigaxFather arch, who being abandoned again at her ungreatful father's whim, resumes back to her ways as was made in the previous eps (maybe set back a few devlopments, but not major)


.. hm although with some thinking, a possible emotional dangerous father could be true as well

taking pleasure in the despair of his daughter(doesnt have to be intentional) where he lives with her, makes her happy, abandon's her , she gets happy, he comes back, makes her happy, to abandon her again, thorougly getting a kick out of it (sadistic as it were) if they were really going into this kind of creepy character
+ kushieda knowing this fact some how, *pictures seeing him in the dark with a wide sadistic grin/smile chuckling as he watches his daugther cry*

Though id probably just say this arch is used for relationship development, not really about some crazy, possibly criminal, broken dad & family (which would easily overshadow any relational development) - something like that is usually left to the end when theres no more content >_> if ever
Peachys is offline  
Old 2008-12-20, 00:46   Link #85
Voitan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
First of all, This series is continue to impressed me more and more. But this episode has a "theme that everybody should remember"

COMMUNICATION
HA-HA!

Way to make my point larger and bolder in your post.
Voitan is offline  
Old 2008-12-20, 02:41   Link #86
Theowne
耳をすませば
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Age: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
I've decided to start following this show. I put it off because I do not like "tsundere", "loli" or any other types of these archetypes, but since this one is so popular I gave it a chance. I don't really know if the series is going to be more dramatic later on or not, but this episode makes it seem that way. The Ami character seems kind of flat to me so the moment involving her in this episode didn't really ring with me, but I am interested in Minorin's reaction to the Taiga-father ordeal. Would like to learn more about that....As for Ryuuji. Last episode, his concern was somewhat touching. Here, it is too much. When both Taiga and Minorin clearly have a bad impression of the father, and they both have more experience with him than you do, perhaps it's time to consider that there might be a legitimate reason to dislike him?
__________________

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline  
Old 2008-12-20, 03:01   Link #87
Voitan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Ah, my favorite scene in the episode, "remastered".

Sadly Photobucket shrinks the picture so it's hard to read, if I could find a better image hosting site I'd like that.

Last edited by Voitan; 2008-12-20 at 03:11.
Voitan is offline  
Old 2008-12-20, 03:38   Link #88
Tiran86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
I think Taiga's initial reaction was due to whatever her dad did to her in the past. She was acting angry because of a grudge, but I think the fact she's over it in episode 12 implies that she really does need or wants to be with her dad.

Minori isn't related to him, so she's still mad at whatever he did to Taiga. Ryuuji isn't quite as observant as Minori or his mother, he doesn't know Taiga's dad very well, and he's projecting his own desire for a father figure in his life. If Taiga's father is that bad, than I think the quote "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" applies to how Ryuuji was pushing Taiga to meet with her father.

We're in volume 5 now in the anime right?
Tiran86 is offline  
Old 2008-12-20, 04:27   Link #89
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Italy
Age: 33
I believe that this whole happening at the end will help Ryuuji grow. So far he's always been the one giving good advices left and right, and Taiga has always listened to him because of their solid relationship. At the same time it's also true that Ryuuji's advices until now were always correct.
This time I think he's facing a relatively new situation, what if your point of view is wrong? Would you rather keep dragging the others into a far worse abyss, or reconsider your feelings?

Personally, I was unsure about Taiga's father, he seemed too much of an opportunist, but at the end of episode 10 we had opposite feelings about him so I left my judgement on hold. Now the situation is starting to be clear up. Never we had seen Minori acting this way against someone, and as we've come to know Minorin as a bright, cheerful, friendly person, I'm sure that reaction isn't uncalled for. I don't really see any huge twists behind this, as I've read in some speculations. Minori knows Taiga from a long time, much longer than Ryuuji, thus if her call is this one, I do believe her. Hints (apartment moving, not showing up at the festival) say Taiga's father is not quite a reliable person. Episode 13 will most certainly say the rest.

Ryuuji is being a bit stubborn, he just need to set his mind into listening the others more. Once this'll happen, he'll be consistently grown and I don't think this quarrel with Minori will affect too much their relationship. The wrong side will apologize, and let's move on.

Ami had just a few lines, but how much weight she can put into words. I love her way of communicating, through metaphors and incomplete sentences, so apparently mysterious yet so straightforward. Her body movements, her facial languages, never, never once she has been cheap or predictable. Everytime she appears she leaves something meaningful behind.
When she first appeared, I mostly thought of her as a mere teaser, rather than a catalyst, but boy how much I was wrong. I don't think I'm liking an other character in Toradora as much as I like her. Given the consistency of the rest of the cast, I think this is quite something.

Anyway, gave this episode just an 8. Just like in the previous, I thought that the way the play was done kinda spoilt the mood. Too much random, I understand if they wanted to put something lighthearted to break the tension, and at the same time to force the protagonists in situations they wouldn't have wanted to be in that moment. But they could just come up with something different, that's it.
__________________
Pellissier is offline  
Old 2008-12-20, 04:52   Link #90
Miles Teg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Le Mans, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathory Area View Post
Anyways apparently episode 13 is the last episode for this season, and thereís a planned 25 episodes in total. Itís not confirmed however if theyíre going to split the series into 2 seasons, hopefully they just make it a 25 episode season as I donít feel like waiting till next year.
It has been confirmed a long time ago that the series will be 25 episodes long (and new opening and ending have been announced one or two weeks ago).

Episode 14 ("The Palm-Top Tiger of Happiness") will be shown the 07-01-2009 after a one week break.
Miles Teg is offline  
Old 2008-12-20, 07:00   Link #91
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Age: 25
Ep 12...

This episode was kind of packed with the "gloomy" mood, it was good but then again it made me kinda sad with the characters (which is why it is good) that I don't want to give the 2 remaining points out of 10, so it's a 8/10. All the cheerful stuff up to ep 10 are now taking a turn to the "darker" side and we get more insight into Taiga's dad, what Minori thinks of him and Ryuuji finding out that he's the only one seeing Taiga's dad in a good light.

Ami's line in this episode was fantastic, I didn't imagine she could mention such metaphorical stuff to Ryuuji, and this is not the only time she did that.

Yuusaku is still vague as always, can't understand him much, I think highlights will come later, but I'll save that for now. Ep 13's preview made me shocked with Ryuuji's and Taiga's expression: that's a big crack-up, curious to know. Hope it isn't something which exceeds my prediction of angst bound to come up later.

Oh, by the way, hello everyone.
__________________
I like to run portable on my dude, so I ran while running runs in my portably portable, dude-like dude.

Kazuma Kamachi FC

Since we are all so trigger happy about certain behaviors that we do when talking about his works.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----

Last edited by Master Assassin; 2008-12-20 at 10:25. Reason: minor edits, meh
Master Assassin is offline  
Old 2008-12-20, 07:37   Link #92
wistfulloner
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Singapore
Hello! ^^

I think the wrestling skit had great synergy with the mood. The LOL moments really added some much needed comedy into an otherwise serious episode.

And also, Kitamura's bite from Taiga's crepe is definitely a way of teasing her
wistfulloner is offline  
Old 2008-12-20, 09:09   Link #93
typhonsentra
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
I don't think so, he just seems oblivious to her feelings and overly friendly.
typhonsentra is offline  
Old 2008-12-20, 10:52   Link #94
mavarek
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
When [Ami] first appeared, I mostly thought of her as a mere teaser, rather than a catalyst, but boy how much I was wrong. I don't think I'm liking an other character in Toradora as much as I like her. Given the consistency of the rest of the cast, I think this is quite something.
I feel exactly the same way! She's really grown to be my favorite character in the series. Although I was a little put off by how she went from not being able to show her true self to others to relationship guru in like 4 episodes flat, I just can't help but like what she's become. Her VA has really done a terrific job.

Oh, I also love the part where the audience names Ami the most beautiful person in the world, and she gets that sick smile on her face. It really shows why she and Kitamura were childhood friends, since both are super narcissistic
mavarek is offline  
Old 2008-12-20, 11:47   Link #95
wistfulloner
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
I don't think so, he just seems oblivious to her feelings and overly friendly.
Can't be, on the second episode Kitamura has already understood Taiga's feelings, but just squeezed his way out of it by telling her he just wants to be friends.
wistfulloner is offline  
Old 2008-12-20, 12:04   Link #96
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
Can't be, on the second episode Kitamura has already understood Taiga's feelings, but just squeezed his way out of it by telling her he just wants to be friends.
Because at that time
Spoiler for at that time...:
__________________
I like to run portable on my dude, so I ran while running runs in my portably portable, dude-like dude.

Kazuma Kamachi FC

Since we are all so trigger happy about certain behaviors that we do when talking about his works.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline  
Old 2008-12-20, 12:14   Link #97
wistfulloner
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Assassin View Post
Because at that time
Spoiler for at that time...:
Oh you know, Kitamura is a fun loving bugger. Even with another love, he won't stop at having fun with Taiga.
wistfulloner is offline  
Old 2008-12-20, 12:21   Link #98
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
Oh you know, Kitamura is a fun loving bugger. Even with another love, he won't stop at having fun with Taiga.
You're right. I still have yet to understand him even at this point...

Geez, now I am getting back to questioning why Kitamura exists.
__________________
I like to run portable on my dude, so I ran while running runs in my portably portable, dude-like dude.

Kazuma Kamachi FC

Since we are all so trigger happy about certain behaviors that we do when talking about his works.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline  
Old 2008-12-20, 12:32   Link #99
wistfulloner
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Assassin View Post
You're right. I still have yet to understand him even at this point...

Geez, now I am getting back to questioning why Kitamura exists.
I think he's here to provide quite a portion of the comic relief (half naked kitamura comes to mind) and to provide the occasional insightful opinion.

He's definitely earned a place as an interesting character.
wistfulloner is offline  
Old 2008-12-20, 12:34   Link #100
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Kitamura is very far from being interesting in my book...But very close to being annoying. Incredibly so.
Darknemo2000 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.