AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-12-25, 22:13   Link #3081
Dream_Traveller
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Well, Geass as a whole. Despite R2 being lesser than its predecessor, Geass is still a hot item in Japan. Even if R2 didn't live up to expectations, I'm sure people will be miffed if Geass was, say, GSD'd.
Dream_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-25, 22:18   Link #3082
incorrupts
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Greece
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream_Traveller View Post
Well, Geass as a whole. Despite R2 being lesser than its predecessor, Geass is still a hot item in Japan. Even if R2 didn't live up to expectations, I'm sure people will be miffed if Geass was, say, GSD'd.
True. R2 lacked in terms of writing and un-resolved questions etc etc compared to S1 but as a whole, the show is a lot entertaining and enjoyable. And this is what sells most of the time.
incorrupts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-25, 22:26   Link #3083
Haku-Men
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: depths of Kagutsuchi where the Sheol Gate is located
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream_Traveller View Post
Well, Geass as a whole. Despite R2 being lesser than its predecessor, Geass is still a hot item in Japan. Even if R2 didn't live up to expectations, I'm sure people will be miffed if Geass was, say, GSD'd.
Interesting point but GSD still sold tremendously well in the Gunpla department (in fact 00 has yet to surpassed it) which means alot in this franchise not to mention DVD's and other forms of merchandise also had tremondous sucess, so to put it bluntly while GSD was a big shit sandwich everyone still eat it up but the down side other SEED related complications like C.E. 73: Stargazer flopped because poster characters Kira Yamoto and Lacus Clyde weren't involved and with every SEED related story in order for it to sell Kira and Lacus better be on the cover. I can see the same thing with Code Geass since Lelouch and C.C. are more or less the poster guy and girl of the series and I doubt fans would care about this new series if they're not involved in some shape or form (but C.C. immortal so that shouldn't be a problem )
Haku-Men is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-25, 22:27   Link #3084
Dream_Traveller
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Eh, it's more Lelouch. The guy seeps charisma so much that every watcher of Geass likes him over everyone else. C.C.'s popular, too, but Lelouch is still the king in that regard.
Dream_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-25, 22:33   Link #3085
Xaong
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Somewhere in East Asia
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lie View Post
This might need to be cleared up but this isn't Okouchi, this is Sunrise. We don't know if Okouchi will be even working on future Geass projects.
Taniguchi isn't, he's given up on the entire project. He was already at ends with Sunrise with Season 1, with R2 and what they had him do, he's not going to be involved any more.
But this news is not from Okouchi or Kawaguchi or Taniguchi, it is from Sunrise. It is the Sunrise staff which makes a lot of people worried about the future of Code Geass.
I heard that after the first season, Taniguchi had enough of Code Geass because of what Sunrise did, but was it stated again by him after the end of R2 that he won't work again on a Code geass project? People can change their mind from time to time ..
Xaong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-25, 22:33   Link #3086
incorrupts
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Greece
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream_Traveller View Post
Eh, it's more Lelouch. The guy seeps charisma so much that every watcher of Geass likes him over everyone else. C.C.'s popular, too, but Lelouch is still the king in that regard.

Exactly the reason it is called "Lelouch of the Rebellion." xD
Makes sense, he is the chara that gets most of the focus and people tend to sympathize with main characters. Especially the latest years, the cliche 'heroes'-concept does not make much of an appearance anymore.
A twisted-anti-hero with signs of remorse and yet not, attracts more interest.
incorrupts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-25, 22:35   Link #3087
Haku-Men
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: depths of Kagutsuchi where the Sheol Gate is located
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream_Traveller View Post
Eh, it's more Lelouch. The guy seeps charisma so much that every watcher of Geass likes him over everyone else. C.C.'s popular, too, but Lelouch is still the king in that regard.
Yep.......just too bad he's dead and even fans would find it hard to swallow if Sunrise revived him back for the sake of the franchise, but I think the last episode plus all the staff already confirming his fate has screw Sunrise over.
Haku-Men is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-25, 22:37   Link #3088
Lie
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaong View Post
I heard that after the first season, Taniguchi had enough of Code Geass because of what Sunrise did, but was it stated again by him after the end of R2 that he won't work again on a Code geass project? People can change their mind from time to time ..
No, but he has not said anything to overwrite his previous statement of him being tired of and done with Code Geass. There's a reason he's not even directing anything at the moment. The man was ready to resign because of what he felt Code Geass did to his image and to the fans. With his recent actions, I'd say he hasn't changed his mind.
Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-25, 22:39   Link #3089
incorrupts
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Greece
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lie View Post
No, but he has not said anything to overwrite his previous statement of him being tired of and done with Code Geass. There's a reason he's not even directing anything at the moment. The man was ready to resign because of what he felt Code Geass did to his image and to the fans. With his recent actions, I'd say he hasn't changed his mind.
This is about R2 though, right?
incorrupts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-25, 22:41   Link #3090
Lie
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrupts View Post
This is about R2 though, right?
The ending of S1 and the entirety of R2, from what I know.
Edit: To clarify, the ending delay that they had.
Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-26, 01:13   Link #3091
Xander
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 31
I don't reallly know what to say until Sunrise gives us the details of their plans, anything is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lie View Post
No, but he has not said anything to overwrite his previous statement of him being tired of and done with Code Geass. There's a reason he's not even directing anything at the moment. The man was ready to resign because of what he felt Code Geass did to his image and to the fans. With his recent actions, I'd say he hasn't changed his mind.
...I don't remember reading his intentions being that explicitly "I am forever done with Geass"...or not in the interview everyone posted around the web anyways. He was being very self-loathing and apologetic so I have to believe you're reading that between the lines and applying that same kind of attitude to anything related to Code Geass at all, but there is a difference there. Like the other guy said, Taniguchi hasn't said anything after R2 finished so we have to be careful about assumptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahakala View Post
It's not like he has a perfect resume. After roaring onto the anime scene at the helm of Infinite Ryvius, director Goro Taniguchi has had something of a checkered history. His series are visually inventive and unfailingly entertaining, but beyond that, quite variable. It's his habit to follow each of his respectable projects (Ryvius and the more modest but equally brilliant Planetes) with something, to put it kindly, with a lot more trash in it—a la the intense but insanely stupid s-CRY-ed. By that logic Code Geass, coming on the heels of the spectacularly uneven Gun x Sword, should be a beautifully-constructed masterpiece. Well, patterns, like rules, are made to be broken. So I'm not terribly surprised on how R2 turned out.
I believe you're almost directly (99%) "quoting" a Code Geass Part 1 (the first nine episodes) review from ANN and not exactly from the best regarded reviewer there, look at the reactions to other non-Geass reviews of his.

For me, Ryvius was good but not that "brilliant" and I would say Planetes was better overall. s-CRY-ed was good for the kind of show it is, dumb shounen fighting, but the series doesn't really have any high ambitions behind it, period. Gun x Sword is actually pretty good and I don't think it is "uneven", just nothing too special. It doesn't really make sense to think of "patterns", in my opinion.

I also think that even R2 is better than Seed Destiny since it gave us a much better ending, which doesn't really work if you don't want to pay attention to the story or characters and what happened to them, so I don't think you can say people don't care about those things and are just blind fanboys of pretty boys/girls (which even Gurren Lagann or Evangelion or Haruhi also have, not to mention Naruto or Bleach, but that's not all the fanbase).

Last edited by Xander; 2008-12-26 at 01:37.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-26, 02:45   Link #3092
lovecakecookies
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahakala View Post
Yep.......just too bad he's dead and even fans would find it hard to swallow if Sunrise revived him back for the sake of the franchise, but I think the last episode plus all the staff already confirming his fate has screw Sunrise over.
yeah they are really making sure they don't get any ideas about reviving Lulu...

Funny, I am remembering one of the comments the staff made saying something like please stay dead lulu, it was hard to animate the show or something.. lols
__________________
lovecakecookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-26, 02:54   Link #3093
SonOfHeaven
Metal Gear!?
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa
Whatever Sunrise plans to do, I can only hope they plan it out properly. Having, Okouchi( He is doing PD9 but who knows in the future) along with some of the other main staff members would be a plus. Though even that is unlikely. If its sequel, just keep the other 3 main characters not end up being OOC. If its a completely new cast, I hope the MC is decent and not a Lelouch rip-off. I'm all for a remake but I think that's unlikely. We'll have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully more details come out pretty soon.
__________________

Last edited by SonOfHeaven; 2008-12-26 at 04:53. Reason: Added a sentence
SonOfHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-26, 09:15   Link #3094
Pink-chan
世界の明日のために
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I was told it wasn't a sequel that was announced but rather, the staff wanted to create something. I hope they make set the sequel in the far future if they make a sequel. Not a remake not an alternate universe aka Mai Otome. I wouldn't mind if they make a sequel with Lulu staying dead . Create a reincarnated Lulu if they need Lulu to milk money .
__________________

Avatar by Sonae. Signature by Airi. Thank you.
Pink-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-26, 11:27   Link #3095
Lie
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
...I don't remember reading his intentions being that explicitly "I am forever done with Geass"...or not in the interview everyone posted around the web anyways. He was being very self-loathing and apologetic so I have to believe you're reading that between the lines and applying that same kind of attitude to anything related to Code Geass at all, but there is a difference there. Like the other guy said, Taniguchi hasn't said anything after R2 finished so we have to be careful about assumptions.
Not explicitly, but when a person is ready to resign from his position because of what he had to go through and his distaste for what had to be done to the show to make it fit the upper echelon's demand, you aren't painted a happy picture.
He has not said anything to make anyone think that his opinion has changed.
To assume that he was happy with it, when absolutely nothing has been said to imply that, is a larger assumption.
Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-26, 12:33   Link #3096
darthfury78
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lie View Post
This might need to be cleared up but this isn't Okouchi, this is Sunrise. We don't know if Okouchi will be even working on future Geass projects.
Taniguchi isn't, he's given up on the entire project. He was already at ends with Sunrise with Season 1, with R2 and what they had him do, he's not going to be involved any more.
But this news is not from Okouchi or Kawaguchi or Taniguchi, it is from Sunrise. It is the Sunrise staff which makes a lot of people worried about the future of Code Geass.
I just wrote a letter to Mr. Taniguchi about the idea of teaming up with Mr. Okouchi to work on a Code Geass R2 10-20 volume novel directly to present the story the way that they had conceived before they were forced to change their plans. This way, it would finally put an end to all of the speculation as to what they plans was to have been. Looking at the entire Code Geass R2, it seems to me that the show was used as a filler for the Gundam audience until Gundam 00 was readly to take over that timeslot. It was nothing more than a marketing ploy to prepare the Sunday evening audience for Gundam 00. So Code Geass 00 was changed into a generic versions of Gundam.

However, the Sunday evening audience are the same people who have watched the first season of Code Geass at late night. So for some of those people, the changes that the producers were forced to make was a direct insult to their intelligence because if some of them had not seen the first season of Code Geass, there were many outlets for them to acquire it by DVD or the internet video stream. But to do this BS reset, and forced the producers to drop their initial plans for the series, was a travesty.

Since Code Geass has done quite well, the creative team could still do a manga/novel on Code Geass R2, along with the stuff that they could not show in the anime. A Code Geass R2 novel that consists of 10 to 20 volumes would certainly be a great layout towards understanding the series better. And if the novels does well, then they could do another Code Geass anime that is based on them.

I know that there are novel/manga adaptations on Code Geass. But they are not written and produced by the anime production staff directly. Only by different authors who has a different interpretation on them. The revised Code Geass R2 novels must be written and produced by Okouchi and Taniguchi themselves. And Code Geass R2 isn't the only series to be retold in the manner that it was slated to be. Some of the Gundam anime series were allowed to be retold as novels conducted by the producers themselves if they felt that the anime was not done in the manner in which they had wanted. The same applies to Mai-Hime when the directors wanted to make it into a better series retold as Mai-Otome, and numerous anime series. Even Full Metal Alchemist is coming as anime that will follow the manga. So the the producers of their respected series are allowed a second chance to redo their anime series, why can't Code Geass R2, which was to have taken place right after Stage 25 with Lelouch defeating Suzaku that the thought elevator at the ruins on the island location?

I encourage everyone to write to Mr. Tanigushi about doing a Code Geass R2 novel as an outlet to tell his original ideas that he had planned for the series before he was forced to change them. This is the only way that he might be able to finally make peace with himself and the audience which he feels that he has let down. As some on this board might say: we can talk about what might have been forever, or we can write to the creators of the series. Which would you choose. For me, I choose to write to the staff instead of talking.
darthfury78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-26, 12:36   Link #3097
Shuuda
Sniped.
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: England
Send a message via MSN to Shuuda
Quote:
I just wrote a letter to Mr. Tanigashi about the idea of teaming up with Mr. Okouchi to work on a Code Geass R2 10-20 volume novel directly to present the story the way that they had conceived before they were forced to change their plans.
You do realise that their original plans for R2 could be in fact worse than what we got. And then what? And to be frank, I disagree with your theory about R2 being filler. Do not just assume things just because the show did not go how you thought it should.
Shuuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-26, 12:48   Link #3098
darthfury78
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuuda View Post
You do realise that their original plans for R2 could be in fact worse than what we got. And then what? And to be frank, I disagree with your theory about R2 being filler. Do not just assume things just because the show did not go how you thought it should.
Well, for one thing, a novel that is produced by them directly would put an end to all of the speculations about the "Not as Planned" rumors to rest. And we don't know whether the "Planned" ideas for Code Geass R2 would be good or bad. If the novels based on the "Planned" ideas are produced, it gives us a comparison in which to judge it by. This way, we can decide for ourselves whether we like Verson A or Version B of Code Geass R2. I stand by my statement.
darthfury78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-26, 12:57   Link #3099
Shuuda
Sniped.
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: England
Send a message via MSN to Shuuda
Quote:
"Not as Planned" rumors to rest.
Unless I am mistaken, that whole stuff is often misused or used out of context by many people. It certainly is not reason enough to do what you are proposing, which would cause masses of annoying arguments over which should be the "cannon" version.
Shuuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-26, 13:05   Link #3100
incorrupts
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Greece
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfury78 View Post
Looking at the entire Code Geass R2, it seems to me that the show was used as a filler for the Gundam audience until Gundam 00 was readly to take over that timeslot.
You are kidding right? You do not spend tons of money/time/work etc for something to be a filler. Even if you are guaranteed that the franchise is a lot popular already.
I mean, seriously, R2 might have had a different direction concerning a lot of events but the ending would be the same, one way or another. It has been stated. Period.
Why do a lot of people make it sound like the CG staff made R2 to piss the fans, or just to screw it? Sequels a lot of times, do not live up to the original. People would not have a problem, if the "different plans" have not been said.
And frankly, there was a reason that the "original plans" were discarded. Better or worse, we will never know i guess.
incorrupts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.