AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-02-20, 01:29   Link #1
ComXERO
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Question GaoGaiGar

I did a forum search and was ubale to find anything. Has this series been licensed or posted? I've yet to see the TV eps., but I am really looking forward to seeing the OVA. I just want to see this Lune Cardiff and try to figure out why my friend is crazy about her. Thanks.
ComXERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-20, 01:38   Link #2
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Somewhere in Hawaii
Both the tv series and OVA isn't licensed yet in the US. I believe Anime in Action [aia] subbed up to ep30 for the tv series. As for who has subbed the OVA I don't know.
__________________
Keitaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-20, 07:40   Link #3
TechnoMage
Shoujo-Anime Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Age: 33
Currently we (AiA) have fansubbed till episode 32 actually. Just waiting on DVDs to arrive to continue. Now, to the best of my knowledge, once we finish TV, we'll be doing GaoGaiGar Final (Not much point in doing the continuation before finiahing the first one).

As for current releases of GGGF... The only one I've ever heard of was ripped Hong Kong DVDs, but that was a while ago, and I think they were only put on usenet.
TechnoMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 22:19   Link #4
Invoker
Cast In The Name Of God
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Since ancient days, it has been here.
Send a message via AIM to Invoker
GaoGaiGar Appreciation Thread

GaoGaiGar is a favorite show of mine, and Anime-in-Action has been doing a fantastic job subbing it. There havn't been many threads about it, so now that episode 35 is out I figured I'd start my own.

The music is excellent, the animation is grand, and the story is far more engaging than such a light-hearted show deserves to be. Thank you, AIA for subbing this wonderful show.

Also, Volfogg kicks serious ass.
Invoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 22:26   Link #5
DistortedRealmS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: A realm beyond that which is reality.
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to DistortedRealmS
Agreed, I am in 12 episodes thus far and AIA is doing a great job, appreciation factor is high on this end
DistortedRealmS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 15:53   Link #6
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!
 
Join Date: May 2003
Age: 35
I've seen the series before, long ago when digisubbing wasn't nearly as feasable as it is today, but I'm loving it all over again. I can't wait until you guys in AiA get to Final, as I haven't seen that yet, but by all means finish the tv series first.

Apparently Takara either completely or jointly owns the rights to the tv series, Takara made the toy line that went with the show, and their demand is that the show can only be licensed if the toyline is as well. Bad business sense if you ask me, since if the show was brought over here a market for the toys would be soon to follow. Plus GGG could easily be turned into a television series over here.

So yeah, the point is the show will most likely never be licensed.
Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 16:48   Link #7
Melazoma
Avatar Back Shortly
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Away from any Draft Board Personnel
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radd
I've seen the series before, long ago when digisubbing wasn't nearly as feasable as it is today, but I'm loving it all over again. I can't wait until you guys in AiA get to Final, as I haven't seen that yet, but by all means finish the tv series first.

Apparently Takara either completely or jointly owns the rights to the tv series, Takara made the toy line that went with the show, and their demand is that the show can only be licensed if the toyline is as well. Bad business sense if you ask me, since if the show was brought over here a market for the toys would be soon to follow. Plus GGG could easily be turned into a television series over here.

So yeah, the point is the show will most likely never be licensed.
What I would like is for Sunrise's entire Space Police-Series to get licensed here in the States. It was a giant chronicle that started in the year 1990 all the way to 1996. During that time about 8 TV Anime series chronicling the saga of the Space-Police--often with these energy-beings lending their powers to Earth's children to combat forces of evil--were produced, mostly notable ones were: Zettai Muteki Raijin-Oh(1991), Legendary Hero Da-Gun(1992), Genki Bakuhatsu Gunbalger(1992) and others. Admittedly, these shows became rather formulaic after "Da-Gun," and are riddled with merchandising(Read: Toys, also, wink wink to the Big Toy Companies ), truth is--they were good, and I grew up on it

Currently, only two(that I know of) of the some 8 Space-Police series' have been re-released on DVD and that is Zettai Muteki Raijin-Oh and Hero Ex-Kaizer--supposedly the first series that started the Space-Police saga. The Raijin-Oh DVD Boxset is a monster 10-DVD box which houses all 51 episodes of the original TV series as well as four OVAs produced during and after the initial run. The price... 55000 Yen--count the zeroes--and I am so tempted to actually spend that much
Melazoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 17:05   Link #8
exedore
Zentradi Archivist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: #anime-classic@zirc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melazoma
Legendary Hero Da-Gun(1992),
Da Garn (or Da Gaan, but definately not Da Gun) is Yuusha, not Space Police. Brave Police J-Decker is Yuusha, not Space Police as well.
exedore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 17:07   Link #9
Kyoji
I WANT MORE MILK!
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Leeds, UK
Age: 28
Exkaiser is yuusha too
Kyoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 17:36   Link #10
Melazoma
Avatar Back Shortly
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Away from any Draft Board Personnel
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by exedore
Da Garn (or Da Gaan, but definately not Da Gun) is Yuusha, not Space Police. Brave Police J-Decker is Yuusha, not Space Police as well.
I stand corrected on the romanization and the false ID on the Eldoran Series--It would seem that I mixed the Space Police with Eldoran--the one responsible for Raijin-Oh, Da-Gaan and two others--who is an "ancient protector of the Earth."

--on the other hand--from the official Sunrise website, section Ex-Kaizer
Quote:
赤い光の球、宇宙海賊ガイスターが邪悪な哄笑と共に地球に近づく。 ... 危機一髪のその時、パパの車が飛び出してロボットに変形、見事ガイスターを退ける。 彼の名はエクスカイザー。ガイスターを追ってきた宇宙警察だという。
And from the Hero Command Daguon section
Quote:
呆然とする5人の前に姿を現したのは、ひとりの宇宙人――宇宙の平和と秩序を守る宇宙警察機構の刑事、ブレイブ星人だった。彼は、地球が宇宙監獄サルガッソの凶悪宇宙人たちに狙われていること、そして サルガッソと戦うために、地球のマシンをコピーして造った戦闘マシン「ダグビーグル」を与えたことを告げた 。
Melazoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 17:55   Link #11
exedore
Zentradi Archivist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: #anime-classic@zirc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melazoma
I stand corrected on the romanization and the false ID on the Eldoran Series--It would seem that I mixed the Space Police with Eldoran--the one responsible for Raijin-Oh, Da-Gaan and two others--who is an "ancient protector of the Earth."

Eldoran? And Raijin-Oh is not a part of Yuusha. The Yuusha titles are: Brave Exkaiser, Brave of the Sun: Fighbird, Legendary Brave Da Garn, Brave Police J-Decker, Brave Express Might Gaine, Golden Brave Goldran, Brave Command Dagwon, and King of Braves GaoGaiGar (as well as BaanGaan which only appears in the Brave Saga video games). As far as "ancient protector"s go, each series has a different setup for the robots. Some have ancient protectors, some are made by mad scientists, others by corporations.

The spinoffs from the Yuusha titles are the Dagwon and GGG OVA's, Betterman (set in the GGG universe about 8-10 years after the series ends), and Brigadoon (set in the GGG universe about 30 years before the series begins).
exedore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 18:27   Link #12
Melazoma
Avatar Back Shortly
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Away from any Draft Board Personnel
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by exedore
Eldoran? And Raijin-Oh is not a part of Yuusha. The Yuusha titles are: Brave Exkaiser, Brave of the Sun: Fighbird, Legendary Brave Da Garn, Brave Police J-Decker, Brave Express Might Gaine, Golden Brave Goldran, Brave Command Dagwon, and King of Braves GaoGaiGar (as well as BaanGaan which only appears in the Brave Saga video games). As far as "ancient protector"s go, each series has a different setup for the robots. Some have ancient protectors, some are made by mad scientists, others by corporations.

The spinoffs from the Yuusha titles are the Dagwon and GGG OVA's, Betterman (set in the GGG universe about 8-10 years after the series ends), and Brigadoon (set in the GGG universe about 30 years before the series begins).
Actually if you go to the Sunrise official site and check the Raijin-Oh, Gunbalger, Gouzauler, you'll find multiple mentions of an "Ancient Protector of the Earth" named Eldoran/エルドラン and the technologies in these series' are provided by this character.
On the other hand, you are right--I'm been mixing the Yuusha series--which features self-supporting, sentient robots--with the Eldoran Series, which require pilots. It's no wonder as I watched Da-Gaan and Gunbalger almost back-to-back back then
Melazoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 03:31   Link #13
exedore
Zentradi Archivist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: #anime-classic@zirc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melazoma
Actually if you go to the Sunrise official site and check the Raijin-Oh, Gunbalger, Gouzauler, you'll find multiple mentions of an "Ancient Protector of the Earth" named Eldoran/エルドラン and the technologies in these series' are provided by this character.
Ahhh, OK. This makes sense now.
exedore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 23:38   Link #14
Erroll
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Can someone give me more information on how all these Yuusha shows are related? Are they just set in the same universe? Do they have certain characters that show up in multiple shows or are they all just based on a certain idea but don't have any real relation storyline wise? I'd especially like to know how Brigadoon and Betterman relate because I've only watched a bit of each but they didn't mean to have anything to do GGG except the fact that there's mechs in them.
Erroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-25, 03:31   Link #15
exedore
Zentradi Archivist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: #anime-classic@zirc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroll
Can someone give me more information on how all these Yuusha shows are related? Are they just set in the same universe? Do they have certain characters that show up in multiple shows or are they all just based on a certain idea but don't have any real relation storyline wise? I'd especially like to know how Brigadoon and Betterman relate because I've only watched a bit of each but they didn't mean to have anything to do GGG except the fact that there's mechs in them.
The only relationship between the shows (excluding any new canon created by Brave Saga) is that they have AI powered robots that look cool and sell well as toys. The links to Betterman are that Betterman's main character goes to high school with one of the GGG kids, and in Brigadoon you see a couple of the scientists' parents.
exedore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-26, 08:49   Link #16
Erroll
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by exedore
The only relationship between the shows (excluding any new canon created by Brave Saga) is that they have AI powered robots that look cool and sell well as toys. The links to Betterman are that Betterman's main character goes to high school with one of the GGG kids, and in Brigadoon you see a couple of the scientists' parents.
Thanks for the info. ^_^ For some strange reason these bits of trivia interest me. It was boggling my mind how you could connect those 3 series.
Erroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-26, 15:08   Link #17
Invoker
Cast In The Name Of God
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Since ancient days, it has been here.
Send a message via AIM to Invoker
Wahh! I finally finished downloading the last four episodes, and they're all excellent.

Spoiler:
Invoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-19, 02:59   Link #18
baangaan
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Cosmic Police?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melazoma
I stand corrected on the romanization and the false ID on the Eldoran Series--It would seem that I mixed the Space Police with Eldoran--the one responsible for Raijin-Oh, Da-Gaan and two others--who is an "ancient protector of the Earth."

--on the other hand--from the official Sunrise website, section Ex-Kaizer
And from the Hero Command Daguon section
It's not that Exkaizer and Daguon are part of the the "Space Police" series; It's just that the heroes from a couple of these shows are members of the cosmic police, or have some kind of relationship with them. Might Gaine, J-Decker, and GaoGaiGar, for example, don't follow the cosmic police storyline, but are part of the same group of shows. The name commonly used to refer to these 90's Takara/Sunrise robot series is the "yuusha" or in English "Brave" series, because each show has "yuusha" somewhere in its title.

Also, it's pretty important to note that "Brave Of Legend Da-Garn" is not the same show as "Brave Command Daguon". The former is a Captain Planet-esque show from 1992, whereas the later is a show from 1996 that is more like animated Sentai. They are, however, both Brave shows.

-Jeff
baangaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-30, 08:01   Link #19
Fox
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Actually, there are links between some of the Yuusha series, though tenative, in the form of cameos.

Spoiler:


So that's ExKaiser, Fighbird, Da Garn, and J-Decker all tied together, oddly enough through Da Garn. Might Gaine is plainly in its own universe though. I haven't watched Goldran so I don't know if there were any cameos there. As far as Dagwon, none stick out in my mind, but it's been a while since I watched it. And lastly I haven't noticed any cameos yet in GGG, but I haven't watched ahead of the fansubs.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-30, 08:24   Link #20
Melazoma
Avatar Back Shortly
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Away from any Draft Board Personnel
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by baangaan
It's not that Exkaizer and Daguon are part of the the "Space Police" series; It's just that the heroes from a couple of these shows are members of the cosmic police, or have some kind of relationship with them. Might Gaine, J-Decker, and GaoGaiGar, for example, don't follow the cosmic police storyline, but are part of the same group of shows. The name commonly used to refer to these 90's Takara/Sunrise robot series is the "yuusha" or in English "Brave" series, because each show has "yuusha" somewhere in its title.

Also, it's pretty important to note that "Brave Of Legend Da-Garn" is not the same show as "Brave Command Daguon". The former is a Captain Planet-esque show from 1992, whereas the later is a show from 1996 that is more like animated Sentai. They are, however, both Brave shows.

-Jeff
Also, the Fi-Bird R2 DVD box is getting a release. In the advertisement for it, it mentions how the android made of Dr. Amano is able to move--it is merged with the Space/Cosmis Police named Fi-Bird.

I knew I saw it somewhere and didn't just make it up when I mentioned the Space Police bit

A detailed database may be found here if you can read a little Japanese:
http://www.nbn.co.jp/anime-history/index_d.html
Melazoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, mecha, super robot

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.