AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-12-21, 19:27   Link #981
raile
<3
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lala rainbow land~
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottendiary View Post
How bout this, a spunky less loli version:

Ranka 2.0: Onii-chan I'm going to join Miss Macross
Ozma: What?! No! I forbid you!
Ranka 2.0: *throws things* You f*****g s*n o* a b***h!!!! *throws more things* You think I'm just going to stay here and listen to all the m***** f*****g things you tell me? You don't g** d**n own me b*****d!!!!

LOL. FD, why am I not surprised?

raile is offline  
Old 2008-12-25, 11:52   Link #982
Tak
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Maybe I'm at a different analytical level than most Macross fans. I write employee reviews at work, since I am a manager. From my personal analysis of the show..
Wow, I did not click on the Ranka thread for a few days (due to obvious reasons), and something as blatant as this one would show up.

You are a manager? Ohhhhhhh!! I bet you also think you are the only one 'round here.

Yeah, who the fuck are you trying to impress?

I used to be a foreign-language support department manager at Bank of America, with more than a dozen people working under my wing until I left the job in pursuit of higher education in order to obtain an advanced academic degree. I not only wrote reviews, I also performed nearly every employment management functions required of me and had to endure one of the most ill-developed corporate culture (a major contribution to the recent economic downturn) known to mankind. This is a culture where my own superiors suffered from a level of greed beyond redemption, while finding ways, no matter how twisted, to legally justify their actions (if I had my way, I'd have them executed by firing squad). In short, I know how that shit works, so please do not presume, coming in here, and gloat your alleged credential thinking others don't know how that particular function entails. That said, does it matter? Absolutely not a fucking bit. Why? Because I sure as heck know very well not to watch a bloody anime with the perspectives of a bloody manager, and I certainly need not explain myself. I don't know why anyone else, or you, would.

But in case you did, then you had just failed on numerous accounts. Or perhaps you simply exercise a different analytical level than most Macross fans? Then again, please remind me the last time Macross, as an anime, turned into employment management 101?

You say Sheryl and Alto has no chemistry. I appreciate your time & effort in formulating an opinion, but they will not be heeded. Many of us found Sheryl's interactions to be the most realistic portrayal of a relationship yet (in fiction), especially with their latter interactions reinforcing this very point. Fact is, they proved to be so popular that fans in Japan wrote massive fan mails throughout the series' duration in support of Alto and Sheryl.

It is unfortunate that your sole reaction is akin to telling them to piss off.

Sorry bud, that won't do. Or perhaps you also experienced in a relationship on a different analytical level than most people? Which by the way, is quite an arrogant thing to state, putting yourself in a holier-than-thou stance as if dismissing our experiences entirely. Fact is, many of us can relate to Sheryl & Alto's relationship, it brought us wonderful memories and serve as inspirations, it is most unfortunate that the same could not be said about you.

- Tak (Merry Christmas, now go get a fucking clue)

Last edited by Tak; 2008-12-26 at 01:07.
Tak is offline  
Old 2008-12-25, 11:57   Link #983
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Nothing is as certain to put a smile upon my face than a smackdown of a Ranka fan by Tak.
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2008-12-25, 17:29   Link #984
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 37
And we're back to the neg-repping again. Sucks to not be a Ranka fan, in this board. Fuck the twits that go to such lengths...

Edit Add: You don't have any more rep points, baka.
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!


Last edited by BetoJR; 2008-12-25 at 20:32.
BetoJR is offline  
Old 2008-12-26, 00:37   Link #985
Father Hentai
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Munich, Germany
It's hard to get foot here if you are not floating with the stream. I am neither a Ranka nor Sheryl fan but it I find it also sometimes hard if I am not of the same opinion.

Btw. what Tak said is mostly correct with one exception which I gives vision33r a point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

It's quite simple, the person who had the biggest transition is Ranka Lee.
__________________
Born the same day as Satoshi Urushihara... Ill fated?
Father Hentai is offline  
Old 2008-12-26, 00:42   Link #986
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Transition and Development are different things, though often they go hand in hand but in the case of Ranka they didn't. It didn't help that whenever her character did develop it quickly regressed.
Westlo is offline  
Old 2008-12-26, 00:43   Link #987
raile
<3
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lala rainbow land~
By biggest transition, do you mean transforming into Jesus Ranka Lee? 8D

*is shot*
raile is offline  
Old 2008-12-26, 00:54   Link #988
Tak
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
Btw. what Tak said is mostly correct with one exception which I gives vision33r a point:
Oh, he is right about the transition, but if he equates that with growth, then I am afraid he is terribly mistaken.

Ranka simply changed occupation, she did not come to terms with them, nor heed the responsibilities required of those roles. Moreover, she was very passive, always needing a lot of push.

- Tak
Tak is offline  
Old 2008-12-26, 00:57   Link #989
Father Hentai
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Munich, Germany
At least she was able to talk to overdimensional insects in her Jesus status while Sheryl needed a "little push" to receive such a gift.

Just kidding. But if you read what vision first told first about ranka was correct. That she turned from a normal barmaid to a songstress and (one of more) heroine.

btw. raile your comment just confirms what I said about the tendency in this forum. :P
__________________
Born the same day as Satoshi Urushihara... Ill fated?
Father Hentai is offline  
Old 2008-12-26, 01:04   Link #990
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
He was talking about development at first.

Quote:
They rushed char development in MF in general. I actually believe Ranka's char is better than the other two because she changed the most in the series.
Everything else went off after that, and his transition list was horribly biased, if he can list Ranka being the songstress protecting Frontier than why can't he for Sheryl since she assumed that mantle after Ranka left? Sheryl actually doing that was also a development for her character considering how she started off in the series. Shortening her life span to protect Frontier when the majority of this fanbase labeled her a selfish bitch after the first few episodes, you know when it wasn't "cool" to be a Sheryl fan.
Westlo is offline  
Old 2008-12-26, 01:05   Link #991
raile
<3
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lala rainbow land~
Oh lighten up, Father Hentai. It's Christmas season.
But yes, Ranka had the biggest transition. From a nobody to an intergalactic songstress.
Just such a shame her character development didn't get much of a boost.

Edit: Merry Christmas to all!

Last edited by raile; 2008-12-26 at 01:24.
raile is offline  
Old 2008-12-26, 01:10   Link #992
Father Hentai
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Munich, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Oh, he is right about the transition, but if he equates that with growth, then I am afraid he is terribly mistaken.

Ranka simply changed occupation, she did not come to terms with them, nor heed the responsibilities required of those roles.

- Tak
I equated it more with change which means "Wechsel" in German. From that point he is correct. About emotional development I won't argue here as I gave you here the credits. :P But still I have to point out that you are judging Ranka too hard. But this is another story.

Quote:
Oh lighten up, Father Hentai. It's Christmas season.
Don't remind me on that. I forgot to pack my girlfriends presents... Oh before I forget to mention it. Happy Holidays to all

Quote:
Everything else went off after that, and his transition list was horribly biased, if he can list Ranka being the songstress protecting Frontier than why can't he for Sheryl since she assumed that mantle after Ranka left? Sheryl actually doing that was also a development for her character considering how she started off in the series. Shortening her life span to protect Frontier when the majority of this fanbase labeled her a selfish bitch after the first few episodes, you know when it wasn't "cool" to be a Sheryl fan.
Well if you ask me about the heroine issue vision posted. Ranka was a heroine to the very moment until she denied to sing for her own reasons. And even at the end she was a heroine again when Sheryl, Ranka, Alto, Ozma, Klan and all who helped fighting against the antagonists of the series.
__________________
Born the same day as Satoshi Urushihara... Ill fated?
Father Hentai is offline  
Old 2008-12-26, 01:13   Link #993
Tak
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
But still I have to point out that you are judging Ranka too hard. But this is another story.
I was quite neutral towards her character until she failed, many times, to heed the responsibilities of a role she always wanted.

- Tak
Tak is offline  
Old 2008-12-26, 01:19   Link #994
Father Hentai
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Munich, Germany
Well, that's what I call the problem with youth. Or the sloppy work of the Director and his team.
__________________
Born the same day as Satoshi Urushihara... Ill fated?
Father Hentai is offline  
Old 2008-12-26, 01:27   Link #995
pilipok
pizza lover
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Singapore
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Wow, I did not click on the Ranka thread for a few days (due to obvious reasons), and something as blatant as this one would show up.

You are a manager? Ohhhhhhh!! I bet you also think you are the only one 'round here.

Yeah, who the fuck are you trying to impress?

I used to be a foreign-language support department manager at Bank of America, with more than a dozen people working under my wing until I left the job in pursuit of higher education in order to obtain an advanced academic degree. I not only wrote reviews, I also performed nearly every employment management functions required of me and had to endure one of the most ill-developed corporate culture (a major contribution to the recent economic downturn) known to mankind. This is a culture where my own superiors suffered from a level of greed beyond redemption, while finding ways, no matter how twisted, to legally justify their actions (if I had my way, I'd have them executed by firing squad). In short, I know how that shit works, so please do not presume, coming in here, and gloat your alleged credential thinking others don't know how that particular function entails. That said, does it matter? Absolutely not a fucking bit. Why? Because I sure as heck know very well not to watch a bloody anime with the perspectives of a bloody manager, and I certainly need not explain myself. I don't know why anyone else, or you, would.

But in case you did, then you had just failed on numerous accounts. Or perhaps you simply exercise a different analytical level than most Macross fans? Then again, please remind me the last time Macross, as an anime, turned into employment management 101?

You say Sheryl and Alto has no chemistry. I appreciate your time & effort in formulating an opinion, but they will not be heeded. Many of us found Sheryl's interactions to be the most realistic portrayal of a relationship yet (in fiction), especially with their latter interactions reinforcing this very point. Fact is, they proved to be so popular that fans in Japan wrote massive fan mails throughout the series' duration in support of Alto and Sheryl.

It is unfortunate that your sole reaction is akin to telling them to piss off.

Sorry bud, that won't do. Or perhaps you also experienced in a relationship on a different analytical level than most people? Which by the way, is quite an arrogant thing to state, putting yourself in a holier-than-thou stance as if dismissing our experiences entirely. Fact is, many of us can relate to Sheryl & Alto's relationship, it brought us wonderful memories and serve as inspirations, it is most unfortunate that the same could not be said about you.

- Tak (Merry Christmas, now go get a fucking clue)
OUCH . STAB IN THE HEART lol
pilipok is offline  
Old 2009-01-04, 00:36   Link #996
Liddo-kun
Come on everyone
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nanairogaoka
Send a message via MSN to Liddo-kun
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Maybe I'm at a different analytical level than most Macross fans. I write employee reviews at work, since I am a manager. From my personal analysis of the show..
Please don't involve your real life job like that on a debate.
Doing that only makes it look like you're bragging.

I'm only referring to you and not to Tak, he only mentioned about his job because you mentioned yours.

Quote:
It's quite simple, the person who had the biggest transition is Ranka Lee.
Quote:
Sheryl? She lost her self-esteem, her popularity, and nearly quit music.
On my point of view, Sheryl had better character development than Ranka on the latter half of the series. While it's true that at the lowest point in Sheryl's life she got discouraged, the time it's raining and Sheryl lost her fame, she saw her poster being stepped on by passersby. I really pitied her.

But she recovered from that, during the time everyone is scared and panicked at the underground shelter. Sheryl was able to gather up her courage and she sang for the frightened people, they were given hope by her singing!

No comment in the romance department though, I need the movie to decide about that.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2009-01-04 at 01:31.
Liddo-kun is offline  
Old 2009-01-04, 01:47   Link #997
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I was quite neutral towards her character until she failed, many times, to heed the responsibilities of a role she always wanted.

- Tak
Actually Ranka wanted to be singer like Sheryl and be able to emotionally move people with her songs, she didn't desire to be the savior of Frontier but she took it so she could save her friends and of course Alto himself.
DeX-kun is offline  
Old 2009-01-04, 02:38   Link #998
herbert
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Galactic Fairy Fanclub
I don't see how singing for the dead has anything to do with savior of Frontier. It simply a emotional need of people, but she still refuses.

Above is one counter-example to your argument, but it's not very important because I think your take of this issue is bit too one-sided.

Ranka wants to be a singer, a professional one, thus she need heed what is asked for being a professional singer. Like Mikhail points out to her in ep 5, being a singer is not equal to "can sing" or "love to sing". There are something a singer must do regardless the singer's own preference.

Please stop saying Ranka accepts savior role has nothing to do with her dream. It give her fame, and she enjoys a lot when she sings to crowds. It does make her dream true. Denial of Ranka's failure is like a new graduate finds his job is not what he has imagined thus believe absenteeism can be justified.
__________________

Last edited by herbert; 2009-01-04 at 02:50.
herbert is offline  
Old 2009-01-04, 03:16   Link #999
Tak
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Actually Ranka wanted to be singer like Sheryl and be able to emotionally move people with her songs, she didn't desire to be the savior of Frontier but she took it so she could save her friends and of course Alto himself.
Becoming a professional singer comes with responsibilities, I don't know why it is so hard for some of you to accept that as fact. Fame comes with strings attached. It is not an easy job being a professional, Sheryl realized that, Ranka never did.

You say she did not desire to become the savior, but then she volunteered many times, to play that role. Nobody forced her into this, she chose to accept it. She participated in charities, she sang during battles, and she done other things that gave everyone else a false impression, including Alto. Moreover, she thoroughly enjoyed the fame. Yet, when the time came for her to accept her responsibilities, she bolted. Therefore, to counter your statement:

she didn't desire to be the savior of Frontier but she took it so she could save her friends and of course Alto himself

No, I doubt she cared for her friends. None of her friends and family, including Ozma, measures up to Alto in terms of importance. The pivotal moment of episode 21 proved it, where she made one of the gravest decision in the series. She left the Frontier mainly because her puppy love went unanswered, not because she suddenly had this lofty ideal of world-peace. You wish to excuse her from blame thinking she had a higher goal, that is fine, but despite her alleged good-motives, you can never deny the fact that her execution was utterly flawed and irresponsible.

And don't tell me there was no better way to handle her situation.

- Tak (And being a kid can only go so far as an excuse)

Last edited by Tak; 2009-01-04 at 10:20.
Tak is offline  
Old 2009-01-04, 05:30   Link #1000
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
No, I doubt she cared for her friends. None of her friends and family, including Ozma, measures up to Alto in terms of importance. The pivotal moment of episode 21 proved it, where she made one of the gravest decision in the series. She left the Frontier mainly because her poppy love went unanswered,

Dude, what, she was on the pipe, too?
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.