AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Toradora!

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-01-11, 07:47   Link #81
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
I'd like to say that I wish the series would end up with Ami and Ryuuji.

Yes, I know what the novels say and stuff, but it's still stupid (at least for me) to root for Taiga when I could root for Ami, a better match, a better person, and if allowed, most probably a better partner.
physics223 is offline  
Old 2009-01-11, 13:25   Link #82
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
I'd like to say that I wish the series would end up with Ami and Ryuuji.

Yes, I know what the novels say and stuff, but it's still stupid (at least for me) to root for Taiga when I could root for Ami, a better match, a better person, and if allowed, most probably a better partner.
Oh please! Can it get any more biased and subjective? There is no 'better' , whether it's about personality or romantic match, it's just about the main lead's romantic interest. Still i'm not really suprised, there are always comments like these with every love triangle/polygon series.
Waven is offline  
Old 2009-01-11, 13:28   Link #83
typhonsentra
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
People also tend to like rooting for the underdog. If the roles were reversed, I'm sure a lot of the same people would be rooting for Taiga.
typhonsentra is offline  
Old 2009-01-11, 16:22   Link #84
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Not necessarily, if the main lead is strong it gets the most votes no matter how underdog-ish the second role character is, if its weak it wont get much love.

Ami is a strong and well build up character, personally she is much more like-able than Taiga and even if Ami would be the main heroine I would be rooting her. In fact, it would have made show even more attractive for me.
Darknemo2000 is offline  
Old 2009-01-11, 16:45   Link #85
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
Oh please! Can it get any more biased and subjective? There is no 'better' , whether it's about personality or romantic match, it's just about the main lead's romantic interest. Still i'm not really suprised, there are always comments like these with every love triangle/polygon series.
I'm not surprised either. People seem to have trouble realizing that the main character is not them.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline  
Old 2009-01-11, 17:45   Link #86
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Not necessarily, if the main lead is strong it gets the most votes no matter how underdog-ish the second role character is, if its weak it wont get much love.

Ami is a strong and well build up character, personally she is much more like-able than Taiga and even if Ami would be the main heroine I would be rooting her. In fact, it would have made show even more attractive for me.
While respecting your preference i think the series would lack the special dynamic the current leads create through their interactions with each other. I see this series living from the Tsundere-ness of Taiga even though i know this is not particularly innovative nowadays. When imagining switching the female lead's roles I somehow can't see what would be left of what makes TD as strong as it is now.
Waven is offline  
Old 2009-01-11, 18:34   Link #87
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Ami and Ryuuji can be just as dynamic dou actually. Well for me Ami in the anime does remind me of Horo a little, and I would think such relationship as focus could be much more interesting and the spiritual bond if build , not weaker as with Taiga. Taiga could be a cute second role tsundere... Though in a sense without a focus on her she woud be even more annoying and useless so probably would decrease one characters value as Ami can do just fine as a first and as a second role, while Taiga's character being less subtile can be only good as a main role.
Darknemo2000 is offline  
Old 2009-01-11, 18:51   Link #88
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Ami and Ryuuji can be just as dynamic dou actually. Well for me Ami in the anime does remind me of Horo a little, and I would think such relationship as focus could be much more interesting and the spiritual bond if build , not weaker as with Taiga.
The problem with an Ami/Ryuuji relationship is that there wouldn't be much emotional connection beyond sex, especially on the part of Ryuuji.

Nor would they be friends in the first place without Taiga.

Also, Ryuuji wouldn't get to be as lulz-worthy and housewifey with Ami around instead of Taiga, and that's one of the reasons Ryuuji is so awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Taiga could be a cute second role tsundere... Though in a sense without a focus on her she woud be even more annoying and useless so probably would decrease one characters value as Ami can do just fine as a first and as a second role, while Taiga's character being less subtile can be only good as a main role.
Okay. How about you try this again, but being less obviously biased?
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline  
Old 2009-01-11, 19:00   Link #89
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Ami can be just as useless as Taiga so he would be housewifey just as much as with Taiga, but he would get less abused. Though I am not really sure if its a bad thing.

Taiga didn't really do much when you consider how Ami started to open up for Ryuuji. If she were a heroine Ruyuuji's reaction would be different, so this indifference would change and he would be more indifferent to Taiga while paying more attention to Ami (who can be just as helpless as Taiga is, though is less clumsy). On the other hand Ami is less of a brat. But I think acting more mature could be just as much fun in a relationship...

Nothing I can do about Taiga. I just really dislike her.
Darknemo2000 is offline  
Old 2009-01-11, 19:04   Link #90
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Ami can be just as useless as Taiga so he would be housewifey just as much as with Taiga, but he would get less abused. Though I am not really sure if its a bad thing.
Ami is MUCH more self-sufficient, though. She does live alone and didn't manage to become anemic.

Taiga really isn't that abusive. Compared to, say, Louise. Or even Haruhi Suzumiya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Taiga didn't really do much when you consider how Ami started to open up for Ryuuji. If she were a heroine Ruyuuji's reaction would be different, so this indifference would change and he would be more indifferent to Taiga while paying more attention to Ami (who can be just as helpless as Taiga is, though is less clumsy). On the other hand Ami is less of a brat. But I think acting more mature could be just as much fun in a relationship...
So if Toradora was COMPLETELY DIFFERENT you'd like it a lot better?

I fail to see why you are still interested in this story. Wouldn't it be better to find a show that has everything you do like rather than dreaming about what could have been done with this one?
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline  
Old 2009-01-11, 22:31   Link #91
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Not Really. Taiga too just like Ami lives on fast-food and thats sort of stuff. It's just that Ami can cope with it better, but situation is similar between them both as neither eat healthy-food.

Louise is abusive because she is in love, and because Saito lacks brains, totally. When Saito acts normal Louise is like cotton in his hands its just that it happens rarely as Saito's IQ is going steadily towards minus. Taiga is abusive because...well just because.

I like a few characters. So i am following it.
Darknemo2000 is offline  
Old 2009-01-11, 22:42   Link #92
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Not Really. Taiga too just like Ami lives on fast-food and thats sort of stuff. It's just that Ami can cope with it better, but situation is similar between them both as neither eat healthy-food.
Technically, Taiga stopped eating after a while, and as a result became rather ill... Ami's still fairly healthy.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline  
Old 2009-01-11, 23:31   Link #93
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
Oh please! Can it get any more biased and subjective? There is no 'better' , whether it's about personality or romantic match, it's just about the main lead's romantic interest. Still i'm not really suprised, there are always comments like these with every love triangle/polygon series.
See, the operative term there is wish.

It's a desire. There is a great chance it won't come true, but there's nothing bad in pipe dreams.

We all have our biases. Deal with it.
physics223 is offline  
Old 2009-01-12, 00:26   Link #94
Neki Ecko
Do you "love" me
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Everett, Washington
Age: 34
Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Louise is abusive because she is in love, and because Saito lacks brains, totally. When Saito acts normal Louise is like cotton in his hands its just that it happens rarely as Saito's IQ is going steadily towards minus. Taiga is abusive because...well just because.
Taiga is abusive because of her family situation and what other people is saying about her. She never had a normal life or any good friends besides Minorin before Ryuuji. She is like a tiger, even know that they are very pretty in appearance but if you get close to one, it will roar or try to bite your head off. Taiga is the same way, except in a smaller size. Because of all that, she has to vent her rage on somebody (or something) and Ryuuji is the one person that can take all that from her.
__________________
Neki Ecko is offline  
Old 2009-01-12, 00:29   Link #95
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
She is like a tiger, even know that they are very pretty in appearance but if you get close to one, it will roar or try to bite your head off. Taiga is the same way, except in a smaller size.
If people aren't getting this by now, it's very very sad.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline  
Old 2009-01-12, 00:58   Link #96
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Well, she is a bitch because of her childhood but is that really a good enough reason to be so with a person who is not involved with your past. Ryuuji should be screaming at Taiga quite often as well considering that he does not have it sweet for him as well. It just depends on the person, Ryuuji is naturally kind and thus even bad past doesn't make him let it out on others, while Taiga is naturally bitchy.
Darknemo2000 is offline  
Old 2009-01-12, 01:07   Link #97
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Well, she is a bitch because of her childhood but is that really a good enough reason to be so with a person who is not involved with your past. Ryuuji should be screaming at Taiga quite often as well considering that he does not have it sweet for him as well. It just depends on the person, Ryuuji is naturally kind and thus even bad past doesn't make him let it out on others, while Taiga is naturally bitchy.
Different things affect different people in different ways. Not everyone would act the same way as, say, you.

Taiga's childhood sucked. Her dad's a horrible bastard and her mom isn't much better.

Ryuuji's mom may be irresponsible but at least she loves him and clearly cares for him. Ryuuji's problems stem from the fact that he doesn't have a father.

And, even then, in Vol. 9 Ryuuji finally explodes at her. So you can't say he doesn't have similar angst to Taiga.

And again, they are teenagers. You can't expect them to deal with emotional issues rationally.
__________________

Last edited by Kaisos Erranon; 2009-01-12 at 02:09.
Kaisos Erranon is offline  
Old 2009-01-12, 02:06   Link #98
Neki Ecko
Do you "love" me
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Everett, Washington
Age: 34
Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Different things affect different people in different ways. Not everyone would act the same way as, say, you.

Taiga's childhood sucked. Her dad's a horrible bastard and her mom isn't much better.

Ryuuji's mom may be irresponsible but at least she loves him and clearly cares for him. Ryuuji's problems stem from the fact that he doesn't have a father.

And, even then, in Vol. 9 Ryuuji finally explodes at her. So you can't say he doesn't have similar angst as Taiga.

And again, they are teenagers. You can't expect them to deal with emotional issues rationally.
I totally agreed with that statement and I got more to added on.

@Darknemo2000, so you say that Taiga is natually bitchy but people will actually different because of different situations and event that happen in their lifetimes. Taiga is a case that with everything going on with her life, she has to vent out that negative that she has within her because if you kept your emotions inside yourself for very long time, then it will start affect your mental and physical state. They are teenages, so cut Taiga some slack about being Bitchy.
__________________
Neki Ecko is offline  
Old 2009-01-12, 10:27   Link #99
wistfulloner
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Singapore
Taiga isn't really that abusive? How often does someone actually give you a flying kick in the back for not punctually delivering their drink, or make sure you don't get your crush until you get her's? It's quite reasonable to use "abusive" in place of, perhaps "violent". Sure, you'll say that she's a teenager, or that she has a troubled childhood etc. etc; but admit it, she's still abusive no matter how you sugar-coat it.

It just happens that Ryuji is the world's most tolerant person, so he doesn't do anything about it. So what? Its the Taiga we know and love, tantrums and all.
wistfulloner is offline  
Old 2009-01-12, 14:11   Link #100
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
She doesn't make him sleep on the floor. Or horsewhip him.

Face it, she could be far worse.

And it's not JUST Ryuuji she does this to, so "abusive" really isn't the right word. "Violent" is much better.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.