AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-01-10, 08:34   Link #1201
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
The point is Sheryl is a more open person while Ranka is shy. Sheryl was from the beginning a person where you could easily create a love story because of their interactions.

Ranka is more difficult. Creating a love story is here way to complicated and would take too much time to create a love relationship. And putting someone into a central position to desire is not wrong at least not until you openly force him to love you.
Itīs a terrible idea for a relationship. If you put up someone on a pedestal, you are 100% sure to be bound to be disappointed, because nobody can measure up to perfection.

As for it being impossible to "create a relationship", because Ranka is shy... you honestly think that in 25 episodes the writers couldnīt have done better? How do romance animes work, then? Because shy characters are not exactly a newfangled type of thing.
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2009-01-10, 09:16   Link #1202
Father Hentai
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Munich, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Itīs a terrible idea for a relationship. If you put up someone on a pedestal, you are 100% sure to be bound to be disappointed, because nobody can measure up to perfection.

I guess we are talking at cross-purposes. What I wanted to tell is that Ranka chooses Alto to be her "Mittelpunkt meiner Liebe". You are right that it is terrible for the risk to be unheared is being given and what happened to Ranka at the end. But even though this is also love. It may be foolish but hey I gave up at girls who were thinking like that.

Maybe we should ask a girl more about this. From mens point of view this is somehow not reasonable because we don' t have the finetuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
As for it being impossible to "create a relationship", because Ranka is shy... you honestly think that in 25 episodes the writers couldnīt have done better? How do romance animes work, then? Because shy characters are not exactly a newfangled type of thing.
I said it's more difficult and it takes longer not that it is impossible. I know this from my personal experience because my girlfriend has a shy and reserved characteristics. It took me about five years to get her known and where we exchanged letters. Now she has these eyes where you can see that she expects me to do a proposal...
__________________
Born the same day as Satoshi Urushihara... Ill fated?
Father Hentai is offline  
Old 2009-01-10, 09:21   Link #1203
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 36
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
I did not mean to go too far into history and comparing any royalties or great historical persons. The question was if he still feels right about puting someone into a positon with authorization to decide even though that person still did not reach the mental capability do make right decisions... but Beto just avoided my question by going into history.
Hmmm... no, I responded to your question. I can't help it if you didn't like my reply. Sure, Louis XIV had guidance, but mostly, he decided on what to do himself, even while listening to others. And he did turn out quite alright, in the end.

Now, that little aside gone, I still can't see what any of it has to do with Ranka and her poor choices. She wasn't in a position to harm herself and she wasn't deciding what the fleet should do - she was in a position to help, and finally, she decided to bail. It did turn out alright in the end, but I'm not a "the end justifies the means" kind of person. She didn't grow up. She was still the same when the series ended. That's bad enough for me.
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline  
Old 2009-01-10, 09:40   Link #1204
Father Hentai
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Munich, Germany
Sorry BetoJR for not seeing your thoughts correctly :P
Just a small thing because you are putting a lot into Louis now. He was not more than a puppet prince in his young age. The true power behind everyting was his prime minister, Cardinal Mazarin. The famous words "L'etat c'est moi" was far later when he was adult. I do not say that his work was not right but he was not alone in his responsibilities of rulership.

And I did read wiki before I replied :P

Ok, we are going too much off topic with louis now.

Going back to Ranka. I already said she was mentally not ready when the responsibility was given to her. She gained this first at the end where she continued to sing where Sheryl got knocked out by that wave. This is the point where she actually was ready to take over the role of the protector together with Sheryl and the Macross fleet defenders.

The point I see while I am in discussion with you all is to clearify responsibilities. By the way. Did you rewatch? :P

edit: I changed "too young" as this is a bit wide spreaded term.
__________________
Born the same day as Satoshi Urushihara... Ill fated?
Father Hentai is offline  
Old 2009-01-10, 10:04   Link #1205
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool?
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
I'm not sure if I'd consider Ranka to be "shy". She sings in front of thousands of people for a living, after all. Even with Alto, Ranka didn't really have any trouble in talking with him (whether it be in person or by texting).

I'd say that the problem in their relationship had more to do with the fact that while Ranka put a lot of effort into trying to make Alto understand her, she didn't really try to understand Alto and his goals. That's why episode twenty came as a rude awakening for her.

I wouldn't say that Ranka's actions in the last few episodes are fuelled by love (or rather, her reaction to the events of episode twenty). She's come to the point where she realizes that it's not worth sacrificing her own personal beliefs just to try to win someone over, and she starts making decisions for herself. In so doing, she moves forward.

Granted, the presentation left something to be desired, but I think that's where Ranka's transition to maturity lies.
__________________
Swampstorm is offline  
Old 2009-01-10, 10:10   Link #1206
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
I guess we are talking at cross-purposes. What I wanted to tell is that Ranka chooses Alto to be her "Mittelpunkt meiner Liebe". You are right that it is terrible for the risk to be unheared is being given and what happened to Ranka at the end. But even though this is also love. It may be foolish but hey I gave up at girls who were thinking like that.
It *still* is a terrible idea. Hell, I have been in her position as far as putting someone on a pedestal goes, and it turned out bad every single time. Put this together with then having a huge responsibility, millions of people depending on you, and itīs a recipe for disaster. And lo and behold, a disaster it turned out to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
I said it's more difficult and it takes longer not that it is impossible. I know this from my personal experience because my girlfriend has a shy and reserved characteristics. It took me about five years to get her known and where we exchanged letters. Now she has these eyes where you can see that she expects me to do a proposal...
Contrary to real life, Macross Frontier is a written show. If the writers couldnīt get Ranka X Alto to work within the timespan they knew they had, then something went completely wrong.
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2009-01-10, 10:34   Link #1207
Father Hentai
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Munich, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
It *still* is a terrible idea. Hell, I have been in her position as far as putting someone on a pedestal goes, and it turned out bad every single time. Put this together with then having a huge responsibility, millions of people depending on you, and itīs a recipe for disaster. And lo and behold, a disaster it turned out to be.
And that is what her character and the story was intended to be. At least through what happened she was able to grow mentally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Contrary to real life, Macross Frontier is a written show. If the writers couldnīt get Ranka X Alto to work within the timespan they knew they had, then something went completely wrong.
And there is no better examples to get to write something than from real life. If they had more resources and time to fit everything, maybe she would not have that weaknesses she had shown.
__________________
Born the same day as Satoshi Urushihara... Ill fated?
Father Hentai is offline  
Old 2009-01-10, 11:05   Link #1208
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
And that is what her character and the story was intended to be. At least through what happened she was able to grow mentally.
Actually, no, she did not, AFAIAC. She suddenly developed a ton of Magix HaX, as soon as she got approval from Alto and her Onii-chan. Thatīs not exactly character development, in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
And there is no better examples to get to write something than from real life. If they had more resources and time to fit everything, maybe she would not have that weaknesses she had shown.
I am sure that there are some shy characters which were developed better in the same timeframe she had. She was, after all, the main character in MF.
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2009-01-10, 11:51   Link #1209
Father Hentai
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Munich, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
I am sure that there are some shy characters which were developed better in the same timeframe she had. She was, after all, the main character in MF.
We won' t know because we we don' t have any budget shown how much an episode hast cost to produce.

Depending on how much money was spent for the other great mecha porn and other more important stuff the character design and further more have lacked. Maybe we'll see an improvement in the Movie as a fight between characters has been promised. Maybe we can rediscuss this when the movie comes out and see if there are any differences.

As for the personal growth development. Well we have different interpretation about this. I did not concentrate on your so called Magix HaX because this was something I did not find a key situation of her mental growth to me. It was even earlier when Sheryl opened a fold connection to Ranka so that Alto was able to communicate with her.
__________________
Born the same day as Satoshi Urushihara... Ill fated?
Father Hentai is offline  
Old 2009-01-10, 12:11   Link #1210
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
We won' t know because we we don' t have any budget shown how much an episode hast cost to produce.

Depending on how much money was spent for the other great mecha porn and other more important stuff the character design and further more have lacked. Maybe we'll see an improvement in the Movie as a fight between characters has been promised. Maybe we can rediscuss this when the movie comes out and see if there are any differences.

As for the personal growth development. Well we have different interpretation about this. I did not concentrate on your so called Magix HaX because this was something I did not find a key situation of her mental growth to me. It was even earlier when Sheryl opened a fold connection to Ranka so that Alto was able to communicate with her.
What the hell has character development to do with the budget of the series? I mean, WHAT? ^^ Sorry, that makes no sense at all.

And letīs just say that Rankas behaviour during the conversation on that "higher plane" was the subject of intense discussion just a few days ( and pages ) ago. She didnīt come off too well there, neither.
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2009-01-10, 12:28   Link #1211
Father Hentai
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Munich, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
What the hell has character development to do with the budget of the series? I mean, WHAT? ^^ Sorry, that makes no sense at all.

And letīs just say that Rankas behaviour during the conversation on that "higher plane" was the subject of intense discussion just a few days ( and pages ) ago. She didnīt come off too well there, neither.

Sorry. I switched sentences.

I replied first to forgetting to quote:

Quote:
I am sure that there are some shy characters which were developed better in the same timeframe she had. She was, after all, the main character in MF.
I viesed this from more the production side than from the final series timeline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
And letīs just say that Rankas behaviour during the conversation on that "higher plane" was the subject of intense discussion just a few days ( and pages ) ago. She didnīt come off too well there, neither.
Agree on that.
__________________
Born the same day as Satoshi Urushihara... Ill fated?
Father Hentai is offline  
Old 2009-01-11, 21:45   Link #1212
teelatsuki
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
This is not my native lenguage any gramatical mistakes ignore them as long they make sense.

I first write a whole reason to "why what ranka do was wrong?" but it dissapeared so i will make it short.

ranka have the ultimate happiness at the moment (chapter 19) the only things that werent going well was a uncertainity about her doing as a savior and the same thing but in the love department, but "As long as Alto is happy so i am" was the current thinking in rankas head, so the first was uninportant, then she saw Sheryl and Alto togheter and we disccover that "As long as Alto is happy so i am" also must have "as long is at my side" so just for that she wants to die (moment in wich i stoped my consideration of ranka in the love triangle, such an inmature brat should not start any romantic relationship until they grow up if Ranka actually win the triangle it would give a even worse message than school days) ignoring that she has EVERYTHING else that a person whish even sheryl surely would change places with ranka anytime but Ranka being the inmature Brat she was wanted even more she also wanted alto (if it was me, and sheryl were my friend i would be asking myself why i havent see any sheryl stuff lately?, but thats just me making ranka into an even worse person seeing evil behind the moeness, ignore this little space) so that lead to her abandoning millions of people, someone consider that they desserve it?

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...postcount=1202

about that one me being a girl considers that magnuskn is right.
teelatsuki is offline  
Old 2009-01-12, 01:50   Link #1213
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by teelatsuki View Post
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...postcount=1202

about that one me being a girl considers that magnuskn is right.
Good to know that I can get in touch with my female side. ^^
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2009-01-12, 03:48   Link #1214
Father Hentai
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Munich, Germany
Did I say you were wrong?
__________________
Born the same day as Satoshi Urushihara... Ill fated?
Father Hentai is offline  
Old 2009-01-14, 23:01   Link #1215
kasumicc
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
It always amaze me how unrealistic people can be when it's about defending Sheryl, and bashing Ranka. Honestly, Sheryl started out as an amazing character; but the script didn't really favored her a lot. I could say a lot of things about Sheryl's "undevelopment" over the series, but not now. Back to Ranka.

Ranka received a power and a responsability with it. Now, who says that just by having it, she's prepared for that? Ranka started just wanting to sing for one sole person, and now, suddenly millions of lives depended on her. That's something that would scare most people; I'd be scared!
I don't see why Ranka should feel some "responsability" with the people of Frontier. Because it's "her people"? Like Sheryl, she isn't originally from Frontier. Why should she sing then, to people that's using her as a war weapon? To overcome her feelings and acting like a pro, is something that needs a long time to achieve. Ranka's just starting; being a singer doesn't make her a pro. And anyway, who would sing during a funeral, after seeing a friend dying? Yeah, maybe Sheryl would do it!!! *-* Bad news; we'll never know if she would do it or not.

By the way, is it really so selfish to sing just for one person, and later not wanting to sing anymore because you lost your reason to sing? I've seen many times that plot (Full Moon wo Sagashite comes to my mind) and it doesn't annoy me at all. In fact, the idea of finding a new reason to sing is a great development and a way to show that you've grown up.

Now, about Sheryl being the one that took the responsability of singing...yeah, she did; but was it for the people? It looked to me that Sheryl was desperate for a chance of proving that she could be as good or better than Ranka. No doubt that she would accept to sing, then.

I don't like either the typical "Ranka's a brat/childish, and Sheryl's an adult." Yeah, Ranka's still a child. And you know what? I don't see why she shouldn't act like one. She's just 16 years old, for God's sake...a shy and overprotected 16 years old girl. So, don't expect her being an adult suddenly in a few episodes. Sheryl, on the other side, has lived her entire life on her own; it becomes pretty obvious that Sheryl has had to develop some strenghts that Ranka hasn't gained yet. And it's not that Sheryl doesn't act childish either, most times.
One more thing: in my opinion, a teenager isn't very different from a child. Is a 16 years old girl, a child? For me, it is.

It's sort of funny...Ranka said and did a lot of things that make her being repudied: wanting to have Alto by her side, not wanting to sing, etc. But the truth is, that in episodes 23-25, Sheryl did and said most of the things that made Ranka hateable! "Don't say anything more, or else, I won't be able to sing"; Sheryl said something like that to Alto on episode 24. So, even the allmighty Sheryl can't sing when she has a broken heart.

I suppose I'll never understand why most people acts towards Ranka just as the people of Frontier. Suuuuuure, Ranka's the traitor that abandoned them!!! Who cares about her wanting a different way to end the war, or realizing that she's being used; she must sing for them, and fight!

Ok...enough for now. I love Sheryl, but her fandom really sickens me. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't blame Ranka for everything; but I understand that nothing I could say would change that. This is my releasing way ^^' I've read too much Ranka-bashing around the internet, and I couldn't stay in silence anymore xD
kasumicc is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 00:01   Link #1216
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasumicc View Post
Ranka received a power and a responsability with it. Now, who says that just by having it, she's prepared for that? Ranka started just wanting to sing for one sole person, and now, suddenly millions of lives depended on her.
Wrong. Ranka stated quite clearly to Alto as early as the first quarter of the show stating that she wanted to sing to prove her existence to everyone. In fact, based on her actions during the first quarter of the show, she was hardly expressing an attitude that she'd only sing for one person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasumicc View Post
That's something that would scare most people; I'd be scared!
The problem is that she knew her role perfectly. She was Frontier's idol, she knew her power would prevail in battles, and that her songs were something to tame the Vajra. She OKed the first time, stating to her brother that she should be making her own decisions and went to battle along with SmS. Then she volunteered the second time, and definitely gave everyone around her a false impression that she was indeed doing what she was doing for Frontier, but in reality, that simply was not so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasumicc View Post
I don't see why Ranka should feel some "responsability" with the people of Frontier. Because it's "her people"?
How can Ranka not feel responsibility when many of the deaths occurred amongst the Frontier fleet was a direct result of her actions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasumicc View Post
Like Sheryl, she isn't originally from Frontier. Why should she sing then, to people that's using her as a war weapon?
Except unlike Sheryl, Ranka was raised on Frontier. This was the colony where she lived, attend school, made friends, and involved herself in other social interactions. By the ways that you are stating this, you are making Ranka a rather heartless individual. It sounds as if she should feel absolutely no attachment in a colony where she grew up in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasumicc View Post
To overcome her feelings and acting like a pro, is something that needs a long time to achieve. Ranka's just starting; being a singer doesn't make her a pro.
To many, she was already considered a pro the moment she sang in battles and the moment she started throwing concerts. You can't go on using amateurism as an excuse forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasumicc View Post
And anyway, who would sing during a funeral, after seeing a friend dying? Yeah, maybe Sheryl would do it!!! *-* Bad news; we'll never know if she would do it or not.
Sheryl certainly sang for the depressed and wounded in the underground shelter, voluntarily. Therefore, if she was called upon to sing at the funeral, she'd most likely do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasumicc View Post
By the way, is it really so selfish to sing just for one person, and later not wanting to sing anymore because you lost your reason to sing?
When millions of lives are dependent on one person's performance, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasumicc View Post
I've seen many times that plot (Full Moon wo Sagashite comes to my mind) and it doesn't annoy me at all. In fact, the idea of finding a new reason to sing is a great development and a way to show that you've grown up.
Except Ranka regressed. From wanting to sing for everyone to prove her existence, she narrowed that viewpoint to just one person. From having the potential to grow to entering a lapse.

At the end, she did neither.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasumicc View Post
Now, about Sheryl being the one that took the responsability of singing...yeah, she did; but was it for the people? It looked to me that Sheryl was desperate for a chance of proving that she could be as good or better than Ranka. No doubt that she would accept to sing, then.
Sheryl is better than Ranka That part is a given so we don't even need to debate this point.

Anyway, for Sheryl, she believed that if her role as a singer would help the people of Frontier, even if just a little, she would be willing to do it. She wanted to prove her existence through singing, that had always been her goal, and its consistent with her character. She intended to follow that dream, with or without Ranka meddling in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasumicc View Post
One more thing: in my opinion, a teenager isn't very different from a child. Is a 16 years old girl, a child? For me, it is.
16 years old is high school age. It is an age defined as a teenager in every first world country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasumicc View Post
"Don't say anything more, or else, I won't be able to sing"; Sheryl said something like that to Alto on episode 24. So, even the allmighty Sheryl can't sing when she has a broken heart.
Actually, she already has a broken heart before episode 24. You are forgetting that she was about to die. Yet, because she carried the responsibilities of the fleet, and that she wanted to follow her dream through, she wanted to do so at its fullest, without distractions.

Whether Alto confessed or not to her at that point, would have been a distraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasumicc View Post
I suppose I'll never understand why most people acts towards Ranka just as the people of Frontier. Suuuuuure, Ranka's the traitor that abandoned them!!! Who cares about her wanting a different way to end the war, or realizing that she's being used; she must sing for them, and fight!
Uh huh, and we know how well that went.

Anyway, if you find it amazing how unrealistic people can be when its about supporting (not defending, she is always on the offense) Sheryl, then I find it equally ridiculous how unbelievably irrational people can be when its about defending Ranka.

- Tak
__________________
Come join the fun, you know you want to!

World of Tanks/Planes: Tankers, Pilots, Sailors! JOIN US!!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 00:53   Link #1217
raile
<3
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lala rainbow land~
Series Ranka failed. Hopefully, Movie Ranka won't.
__________________
raile is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 02:52   Link #1218
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasumicc View Post
It always amaze me how unrealistic people can be when it's about defending Sheryl, and bashing Ranka. Honestly, Sheryl started out as an amazing character; but the script didn't really favored her a lot. I could say a lot of things about Sheryl's "undevelopment" over the series, but not now.
Kindly do so in the Sheryl thread, so I can point and laugh. Sheryls development was fantastic throughout the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasumicc View Post
Ranka received a power and a responsability with it. Now, who says that just by having it, she's prepared for that? Ranka started just wanting to sing for one sole person, and now, suddenly millions of lives depended on her. That's something that would scare most people; I'd be scared!
I don't see why Ranka should feel some "responsability" with the people of Frontier. Because it's "her people"? Like Sheryl, she isn't originally from Frontier. Why should she sing then, to people that's using her as a war weapon?
At the most basic, because she *lives* on Frontier, and if Frontier gets destroyed, she dies. Also, her brother dies, her friends die, everybody dies. Oh, yeah, did I mention that almost everybody she knows is an active fighter in that conflict and she has the ability to protect them?

Sorry, but your argument was really weaksauce just now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasumicc View Post
To overcome her feelings and acting like a pro, is something that needs a long time to achieve. Ranka's just starting; being a singer doesn't make her a pro. And anyway, who would sing during a funeral, after seeing a friend dying? Yeah, maybe Sheryl would do it!!! *-* Bad news; we'll never know if she would do it or not.
Since she didnīt think of Michael even just *once* after his death, until the very end of the series, we can safely assume that her cause for not wanting to sing anymore is because of her heartbreak over Alto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasumicc View Post
Now, about Sheryl being the one that took the responsability of singing...yeah, she did; but was it for the people? It looked to me that Sheryl was desperate for a chance of proving that she could be as good or better than Ranka. No doubt that she would accept to sing, then.
Itīs proven pretty conclusively that she is doing this for the people on Frontier, by the montage of her driving away from the meeting with Luca and Leon, and the extended scene of her conversation with them interspersed with pictures of the people of Frontier grieving over their lost loved ones. So, yeah, it was for the people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasumicc View Post
I don't like either the typical "Ranka's a brat/childish, and Sheryl's an adult." Yeah, Ranka's still a child. And you know what? I don't see why she shouldn't act like one. She's just 16 years old, for God's sake...a shy and overprotected 16 years old girl. So, don't expect her being an adult suddenly in a few episodes. Sheryl, on the other side, has lived her entire life on her own; it becomes pretty obvious that Sheryl has had to develop some strenghts that Ranka hasn't gained yet. And it's not that Sheryl doesn't act childish either, most times.
One more thing: in my opinion, a teenager isn't very different from a child. Is a 16 years old girl, a child? For me, it is.
Sheryl is 17, as is Alto. Do they get your parental approvement because of the one year difference?


Quote:
Originally Posted by kasumicc View Post
It's sort of funny...Ranka said and did a lot of things that make her being repudied: wanting to have Alto by her side, not wanting to sing, etc. But the truth is, that in episodes 23-25, Sheryl did and said most of the things that made Ranka hateable! "Don't say anything more, or else, I won't be able to sing"; Sheryl said something like that to Alto on episode 24. So, even the allmighty Sheryl can't sing when she has a broken heart.
Apparently you have more to say about Sheryl, come over to the Sheryl thread, Iīd love to see if you have any arguments that havenīt been summarily repudiated three times over yet. While Sheryl did have a little moment of weakness where you said it, it was minor. She went right on to sing after that, and, not unreasonably, put off something which ( in her mind ) could have ended in a very ugly emotional scene just before Alto would go out for the biggest battle of his life. It was actually very thoughtful of her.
__________________

Last edited by magnuskn; 2009-01-15 at 03:27.
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 03:55   Link #1219
MFSxA
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Where Rei Ayanami is...or prolly dreaming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasumicc View Post
Ranka received a power and a responsability with it. Now, who says that just by having it, she's prepared for that? Ranka started just wanting to sing for one sole person, and now, suddenly millions of lives depended on her. That's something that would scare most people; I'd be scared!
I don't see why Ranka should feel some "responsability" with the people of Frontier. Because it's "her people"? Like Sheryl, she isn't originally from Frontier. Why should she sing then, to people that's using her as a war weapon? To overcome her feelings and acting like a pro, is something that needs a long time to achieve. Ranka's just starting; being a singer doesn't make her a pro. And anyway, who would sing during a funeral, after seeing a friend dying? Yeah, maybe Sheryl would do it!!! *-* Bad news; we'll never know if she would do it or not.
And that's what separates a regular character from a hero.

Its good that you recognize such great responsibility put upon her. How can I put it, Ranka had a great gift - able to communicate, stun, and control the vajra. She also had a burden, because of such gift.

Most of the Ranka fanboys say she didn't expect it; She's a child; She's being manipulated; It isn't voluntary, its too heavy; yada yada. I say, that is precisely the point. Its a test of character. At that point in time, Ranka's character was put into a situation - to rise above it or shirk upon such great responsibility.

I think it was in one of those spidey movies that stated that sometimes, being a hero (and having such great responsibilty) means giving up your hopes and dreams. (I can't believe I tried to avoid it for 2 years, I thought and still think its cheesy, but props to the writer)

Those burdens were part and parcel of her burden which, theoretically, would make Ranka shine even more.

Quote:
By the way, is it really so selfish to sing just for one person, and later not wanting to sing anymore because you lost your reason to sing? I've seen many times that plot (Full Moon wo Sagashite comes to my mind) and it doesn't annoy me at all. In fact, the idea of finding a new reason to sing is a great development and a way to show that you've grown up.
There really is nothing wrong with it.

Sheryl did it, Basara did it, nothing wrong with it. However, if you check the older posts, the idea was that her failure to sing meant lost lives. This parallels with Basara's actions to a degree (warning: I am a Basara fanboy). Its not a good thing to leave people to die because you feel bad. I can agree that what he did was reckless, to a degree (warning: I am a Basara fanboy).

Quote:
Now, about Sheryl being the one that took the responsability of singing...yeah, she did; but was it for the people? It looked to me that Sheryl was desperate for a chance of proving that she could be as good or better than Ranka. No doubt that she would accept to sing, then.
Like I said earlier, Ranka had a unique gift, not even the Galactic Fairy can compete against that in the first place. Well, before the vajra invaded the Fairy's stomach that is.

To better focus the issue, what circumstances led you to believe Sheryl was trying to prove herself as good or better than Ranka?

And in what aspect?

1. As singers
2. As Alto's lover
3. As a saviour/weapon against the vajra

Quote:
I don't like either the typical "Ranka's a brat/childish, and Sheryl's an adult." Yeah, Ranka's still a child. And you know what? I don't see why she shouldn't act like one. She's just 16 years old, for God's sake...a shy and overprotected 16 years old girl. So, don't expect her being an adult suddenly in a few episodes. Sheryl, on the other side, has lived her entire life on her own; it becomes pretty obvious that Sheryl has had to develop some strenghts that Ranka hasn't gained yet. And it's not that Sheryl doesn't act childish either, most times.
Anyone can act like a child no matter how old as long as it does not endanger life, liberty, or property. Well unless your country outlaws it.

Quote:
It's sort of funny...Ranka said and did a lot of things that make her being repudied: wanting to have Alto by her side, not wanting to sing, etc. But the truth is, that in episodes 23-25, Sheryl did and said most of the things that made Ranka hateable! "Don't say anything more, or else, I won't be able to sing"; Sheryl said something like that to Alto on episode 24. So, even the allmighty Sheryl can't sing when she has a broken heart.
"If" it didn't, however, happen.

As you stated she knew her weakness (a broken heart), and she acted on such weakness in order to prevent any dangers for the operation. The scene merely proves Sheryl's foresight and prudence in handling her emotions by controlling the situation. That's a good thing no?

Quote:
I suppose I'll never understand why most people acts towards Ranka just as the people of Frontier. Suuuuuure, Ranka's the traitor that abandoned them!!! Who cares about her wanting a different way to end the war, or realizing that she's being used; she must sing for them, and fight!
Whether or not the delivery of a pet and to find out a memory of no importance to the current situation is more important than the life of a person (in this case hundreds, perhaps even more). This is the issue in 22.

Wanting to end the war differently. That is exactly one of my train of thought in justifying Ranka. Perhaps you can better answer this question than me, was Ranka aware that her decision and action to deliver ai-kun and to visit her origin (because of some memories) will bring a resolution to the conflict? Stated differently, did she purposely decide to leave because she had a reasonable belief that she can save the Frontier and the Vajra?

Or was she acting on a reckless impulse to deliver her pet and to find out about her origins add to the fact of her hurt feelings - even though it probably would not help, and in fact, got captured - made everything harder for the Frontier, saved by Frontier co., and in return saved Frontier co. and the Vajra by inevitably singing in the end with Sheryl?

Quote:
Ok...enough for now. I love Sheryl, but her fandom really sickens me. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't blame Ranka for everything; but I understand that nothing I could say would change that. This is my releasing way ^^' I've read too much Ranka-bashing around the internet, and I couldn't stay in silence anymore xD
I like Ranka being cute and her Seikan Hikou song, I'm actually listening to it on a continuous repeat loop. I, however, disapprove of her actions in the later episodes.

Either way it ended well, vajra and humans alive. Still, I do not believe the end justifies the means.
MFSxA is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 05:46   Link #1220
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 36
I still can't really understand how people can't talk about their preferred characters without trying to put down their "rivals". Seems petty, to me.
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.