AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Soul Eater

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-01-01, 11:47   Link #181
Zoe
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Austin
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I heard somewhere that Maka's name is an anagram of "kama" which is japanese for scythe. Is this true?
No. "Kami" has its own meaning as god, hair, or paper. If it was meant to be "scythe," it would have been "kama."
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 13:13   Link #182
ellifeedn
Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
No. "Kami" has its own meaning as god, hair, or paper. If it was meant to be "scythe," it would have been "kama."
So kama is japanese for scythe, thank you. But I don't understand why you're talking about "kami" .
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 13:47   Link #183
Zoe
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Austin
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
So kama is japanese for scythe, thank you. But I don't understand why you're talking about "kami" .
Because Kami is her name...
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 15:07   Link #184
ellifeedn
Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New York
Wait, who's name?
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 01:05   Link #185
Katocchi
Your Order ?
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: in Your Planet
Age: 22
Send a message via Yahoo to Katocchi
Maka's Mother ..
__________________
Katocchi's Art and Graphics Project
Kato always welcome
if everyone want to visit
and give comment ^^

_______________________
Vocaloid Avatars
- Last Update 2009/04/03 -

_______________________
MyAnimeList
My DeviantArt
Katocchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 13:28   Link #186
Zoe
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Austin
Age: 32
Sorry... with all the talk of Maka's mother on the previous page, I misread your question and thought you were asking about Kami.
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 16:39   Link #187
ellifeedn
Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New York
Oh, I see. That clears things up.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-04, 10:51   Link #188
Yaoi_Daisuki
少年愛
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Age: 25
Could any tell me the gender of Crona?
__________________
Yaoi_Daisuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-04, 16:48   Link #189
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zeon
Age: 23
Female i think ...
__________________
King Lycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-04, 17:10   Link #190
Zoe
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Austin
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaoi_Daisuki View Post
Could any tell me the gender of Crona?
Nope. It's officially "unknown."
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-06, 18:55   Link #191
dantman
Daniel Friesen
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Question: is it worth to read the manga?
Oh wait, let me ask again:

Can you still enjoy the manga after watched its anime version (up to the lastest aired Ep)?

An example to compare those two will be nice

Thank
Yes, you can. Other than the plot split around ep37 both the manga and anime offer their own good points. The anime and manga are drawn in two different styles, the manga is less censored than the anime (some of that censorship actually removes plot points), so both are enjoyable in their own ways.
dantman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-07, 15:20   Link #192
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In the magical land of Moonswell pass
Age: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
Nope. It's officially "unknown."
Even Chrona is confused about that but personally I think if it was a boy it would be called Chrono/Chronos instead of Chrona
__________________

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-07, 15:44   Link #193
dantman
Daniel Friesen
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub-Sama View Post
Even Chrona is confused about that but personally I think if it was a boy it would be called Chrono/Chronos instead of Chrona
But then Chrona's pun would be completely destroyed. as noted Crona's name クロナ, Kurona in romaji is a pun on the words Kuro and Na, literally meaning "Dark One" (Kuro means dark or black). It's a pun on Crona's name being a reference to the black blood.

Chrono/Chronos would be a reference to time, which has pretty much no relevance to the character.

Oh, just another note, but ナ actually appears to be masculine, so Crona fits a Guy as much as it fits a Girl.
__________________

Last edited by dantman; 2009-01-07 at 16:05.
dantman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-07, 20:58   Link #194
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantman View Post
But then Chrona's pun would be completely destroyed. as noted Crona's name クロナ, Kurona in romaji is a pun on the words Kuro and Na, literally meaning "Dark One" (Kuro means dark or black). It's a pun on Crona's name being a reference to the black blood.

Chrono/Chronos would be a reference to time, which has pretty much no relevance to the character.

Oh, just another note, but ナ actually appears to be masculine, so Crona fits a Guy as much as it fits a Girl.
Also, Kurona is the last 3 syllables of Ragnarok backwards (in Japanese). Incidentally, its written as Crona in the ending and never written anywhere else (that I know of) so I think people should start phasing out the Chrona spelling, especially if as you say you don't think it has anything to do with Chronos.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-07, 22:10   Link #195
dantman
Daniel Friesen
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Also, Kurona is the last 3 syllables of Ragnarok backwards (in Japanese). Incidentally, its written as Crona in the ending and never written anywhere else (that I know of) so I think people should start phasing out the Chrona spelling, especially if as you say you don't think it has anything to do with Chronos.
Ohh, I never noticed that fact, that's worth a trivia note. Do you feel like adding it to Crona's article so you can get some credit for that?
__________________
dantman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-08, 00:04   Link #196
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantman View Post
Ohh, I never noticed that fact, that's worth a trivia note. Do you feel like adding it to Crona's article so you can get some credit for that?
...not really. You can do it yourself if you like.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-08, 08:47   Link #197
Zoe
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Austin
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantman View Post
Oh, just another note, but ナ actually appears to be masculine, so Crona fits a Guy as much as it fits a Girl.

I can think of a ton more girl names that end in 'na' than guy names.
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-11, 17:19   Link #198
Ilija
Blah
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 19
Who is Black Star's VA in the anime? And has he done any other anime? (if so, I must watch! That voice is legendary!)
__________________
Ilija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-12, 04:22   Link #199
The Monarch of Roses
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiraishin View Post
Who is Black Star's VA in the anime?
Yumiko Kobayashi as Black Star

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=9070
The Monarch of Roses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-12, 11:48   Link #200
dantman
Daniel Friesen
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monarch of Roses View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiraishin View Post
Who is Black Star's VA in the anime? And has he done any other anime? (if so, I must watch! That voice is legendary!)
Yumiko Kobayashi as Black Star

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=9070
http://souleater.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Star
Black Star is voiced by Yumiko Kobayashi in both the anime and drama cd (the only va used in both). And Mamiko Noto did Tsubaki in the drama CD, while Kaori Nazuka did the anime.
Yumiko Kobayashi and Kaori Nazuka were the ones to sing the "My Star" and "harmoNIZE" songs for the series.
__________________
dantman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
q&a

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.