AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-05-23, 17:53   Link #1
curlyconnor

I know I'm stupid but...

My friend and I are working on a wonderful fansub of the classic Toei anime movie "Nagagutsu wo Haita Neko" (Puss in Boots), and we'd love to make a torrent and have Animesuki host it once we're done (which will be sometime this summer). However, I tried reading that thing about how to make a torrent, and I didn't understand it at all. So, what exactly do I need to do with the finished DivX (once we have it) to get the torrent on AnimeSuki? Is AnimeSuki a tracker? Also, it talks about having webspace and putting some code in it. We have some free space at Angelfire, but that's it. What do we need to do?

Edit: Oops, sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. Should it have gone in "BitTorrent"?
curlyconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 10:33   Link #2
warnold
nerfelwap

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyconnor
Edit: Oops, sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. Should it have gone in "BitTorrent"?
Probably. (Would the next moderator to pass by please move this thread.)

Quote:
My friend and I are working on a wonderful fansub of the classic Toei anime movie "Nagagutsu wo Haita Neko" (Puss in Boots), and we'd love to make a torrent
Good For you.
Quote:
and have Animesuki host it once we're done (which will be sometime this summer).
AnimeSuki will list it if it meets our guidelines (primarily: not licensed)
Quote:
However, I tried reading that thing about how to make a torrent, and I didn't understand it at all. So, what exactly do I need to do with the finished DivX (once we have it) to get the torrent on AnimeSuki? Is AnimeSuki a tracker?
No, AnimeSuki is not a tracker. At it's core, all AnimeSuki is, is a list of URL's where you can find anime torrents. Once you have the sub done and the torrent ready, just post the URL of your web page/torrent/group info in "Torrent Submissions" and we'll add it.
Quote:
Also, it talks about having webspace and putting some code in it. We have some free space at Angelfire, but that's it. What do we need to do?
As long as it allows you to put up the .torrent file that's all you need from the website.
The hard part of creating getting started with bittorrent is the tracker. You need to find one that will allow you to use it. There are a number of trackers that are dedicated to anime that will be happy to allow you use. I'd recomend http://a.scarywater.net/ myself, because it also provides the webspace, and integrates everything nicely. You may contact them at the email address at the bottom of that page. Other than that, all you need is a program that will generate the .torrent from the .avi file. A number of clients (Azureus) include this feature, or dedicated programs exist. (see other threads)

Quick summary of what you ned to do: You create the .avi, you create the .torrent from the .avi pointing at the appropriate tracker, you post that .torrent to your website, you announce the availability of the torrent here, and then you seed the torrent.

--
-billy-
warnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 15:26   Link #3
curlyconnor

Thanks a lot! So, when you're turning the DivX into a torrent, do you type in what your tracker is? Then you just upload it as you would any other file? Also, once it's all up, do I have to download my own fansub to get it going, or something like that?
Old 2004-05-24, 16:44   Link #4
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
So, when you're turning the DivX into a torrent, do you type in what your tracker is? Then you just upload it as you would any other file? Also, once it's all up, do I have to download my own fansub to get it going, or something like that?
Actually, you upload the torrent file to the tracker (not the DivX file itself). The torrent file is just basically a pointer that identifies the file and what tracker to connect to, and is usually pretty small. Anyway, you upload that torrent to the tracker, and then you open the torrent file in whatever BitTorrent program you normally use. It will ask you where you want to save the file, and just select the file you already have on your computer. BitTorrent will check your file and notice that you've already got the whole thing (obviously), and so then you will be seeding the file - when other people connect to the torrent, they will be getting the file from you to start. You need to stay connected to the torrent at least long enough for the first batch of people to finish downloading the whole file.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 19:27   Link #5
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Send a message via ICQ to KeinikuSuki
Quote:
when you're turning the DivX into a torrent, do you type in what your tracker is? Then you just upload it as you would any other file?
For easy of explaination, I'll post a picture of the Azureus torrent creation wizard.

You add the Announce URL at the Red arrow. The Announce URL is the URL for the tracker. If you get one from a.scarywater.net it will be "http://tracker.scraywater.net:443/anounce" but they will be able to explain it better than I can. Then you just browse for the file you want to add to the torrent at the Green arrow. The wizard will then generate your torrent file. The torrent file is about 20 kB and is a sort of blueprint for your AVI file. The torrent also contains the tracker URL so that the person who downloads the torrent can connect to other people with the file.

Relentlessflame answered the rest of your question, but I'd like to add that Azurues has a "SuperSeed" function. The SuperSeed function allows you to get your file out as fast as possible. It sends different chunks to other people with good connections so they can start distributing the file as they download.
KeinikuSuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-25, 12:33   Link #6
curlyconnor

Thank's all of you all. So, could you upload the torrent file on any kind of free webspace? Also, what to I need to say to scraywater to get them to be my tracker? Also, do any of you all know where I should go on this forum to tell people of an upcoming (in production) fansub?