AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-01-14, 02:22   Link #241
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Interesting post from Sorrow-K. I'm not totally sold yet, either, but the way we keep learning more about (and being surprised by) the characters is at least a good sign. The number of good posts here (and blog posts) makes me think the show may actually have something. Time will tell.

I enjoyed another blog post about the book of Browning: what is its role? We see it carrying romance in all directions -- Misaki to Touya, Rina to Touya.

I'm not against Touya, yet. If he slips away from Yuuki, it's partly because he imagines her already slipping away from him. For various reasons, my sympathies lie with Yuuki, and I am so afraid of how it will all come as a shock to her. She sees only her budding career -- the thing she has longed for -- and seems unaware of how it affects the relationship she also seems to depend on. She doesn't realize her life is slipping away from Touya's, since it is otherwise so full and complicated. To her, grabbing a few minutes to phone him is a big deal. To him, it seems like nothing much.

If Rina really is going to make a move on the guy -- and I'm not convinced that's true, yet -- she is beyond the pale, for me. Completely unacceptable behavior, since she doesn't really know the guy and moving on him would be more about harming Yuuki and/or declaring her own superiority than being so attracted to a guy. She may well be just contacting him to tell him to be good to Yuuki, however. We shall see.

I feel a bit of madness in Haruka, who may be my own favorite character so far. She wants to preserve the pleasant osananajimi life, but below the surface, she wants much more, and is willing to overstep the bounds -- such as sitting there on his step for so long.
__________________
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-01-14 at 03:13.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 02:27   Link #242
SkoolRumble4Ya
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California
As of now this is a ok show but hopefully there's a chance that the show will get better hopefully.
SkoolRumble4Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 04:05   Link #243
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Ep 2
The first is that I've yet to see something in these characters worth liking. The second is that I get the feeling this show is trying too hard to be the serious romance drama, with a bit of emphasis on the "serious" and massive amount of emphasis on the "drama". From a technical point of view, there's lots of overbearing music and and visual techniques which sort of imply that there's a lot of subtle detail that requires the audience to actively pay attention (because apparently that's how "good" anime approaches storytelling [insert skepticism here]) to fully appreciate it. Clannad and ef ~memories~ are a bit the same, but it's true that a lot of the meaningful stuff in those anime happens under the surface, so it's more rewarding to actively watch these shows, as opposed to passively watching them (if you can see what I'm saying). What's the pay off for actively watching White Album? Will it be an opportunity to better engage with the show's themes and appreciate its meaning? Or will it just be a chance to "enjoy" the dramatic cataclysm at the end? Because if it's the latter, there's no reward for watching the show actively, since you get the same result watching it passively.
I personally enjoy the whole premise of the show and where it's going. There is nothing wrong with a love triangle story which admittedly has been used as a basis for many many different shows.

When I watched the first ep initially I found the written monologues an intriguing way to reflect what Touya was thinking. Upon watching the second ep though, I feel it's a bit over used.

Thoughts written out like that is an interesting technique but it does not replace the true artistic genius of putting subtle character development, such as in their actions or facial expressions without having to spell it out directly in strange short soliloquy, with which the show right now is attempting to do.

This relates to Sorrow-K's comment about the show focusing on subtle details believing that's what makes a good show and in some respects I agree that subtlety of character development does make a good show. The problem with this is that they try to put in the subtle character developments yet fear that we may be too stupid to notice them, hence the insertion of the almost schizophrenic internal written monologues to point out to the audience that this scene has some "subtle" development placed in.

The problem with this is that should a "subtle" detail require pointing out then the director or writer has failed already. An example would be when Touya calls Misaki, when I first saw that scene it had me curious as to why he's doing such a thing, so I watched attentively to see if there are any subtle hints as to why. After watching the scene once, I failed to see why he would call her considering practically no lead up to that scenerio. Only after watching the scene a second time did I notice the white barely legible writing around Touya's head telling us that he's doing it for his friend. The problem with this is that subtlety that doesn't connect, fails and a written monologue isn't a solve all method to tie up loose ends or to explain actions which by watching normally are unexplainable.

Quote:
My point is, is this serious, "mature" tone that the show is taking all smoke-and-mirrors, or is there going to be some meaning along the way in this journey? My great fear is that it'll be the former, and that the show will be about little more than the dire consequences of relationships gone wrong. What I'm trying to say is, if that happens (and that's still "if" at this stage), just because the show has a serious tone, and just because it uses a lot of ambitious storytelling techniques, if there's no meaning, and no sympathetic characters, then that doesn't make it any better than Kimi ga Nozomu Eien.

I'm worried about this anime, because at this stage it just looks to me that in its desire to be a "serious romance drama", it's putting too much emphasis on making characters that have issues, and not enough on making characters that are sympathetic.
Despite, the little hiccup I have with this show, after watching 2 ep I would put it as one of the better romance animes out. I do find the male lead a bit dry to watch though and I'm one who has a extremely high tolerance level to boring male leads. Perhaps there hasn't been much romance so far, but it's only been 2 episodes and I'm pretty sure it'll get better.
__________________
holyman282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 04:23   Link #244
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Ep 2

I'm still not convinced by this anime, and there are two reasons for that which are pretty closely linked.

The first is that I've yet to see something in these characters worth liking. The second is that I get the feeling this show is trying too hard to be the serious romance drama, with a bit of emphasis on the "serious" and massive amount of emphasis on the "drama". From a technical point of view, there's lots of overbearing music and and visual techniques which sort of imply that there's a lot of subtle detail that requires the audience to actively pay attention (because apparently that's how "good" anime approaches storytelling [insert skepticism here]) to fully appreciate it.
Your first point is correct, of course, but it's also a totally subjective one. If the viewers find out that they can't empathize with the characters displayed, the enjoyment watching it will be impacted, correct. However, at least when it comes to me, I like the anime exactly because it is NOT doing what you seem to demand later on: "Make me like the characters". To be honest, in the past, particularly romance shows are geared to simplicissism lately. The anime takes me by the nose and leads me where it wants me to. It's telling me "this is the heroine, isn't she great?" or "this is the bastard, watch how twisted he is".

I don't like that. I prefer to watch the story unfold and draw my own conclusions. I want to be able to make up my own mind if I like/dislike what the characters are doing. I.e. I do NOT want to be spoonfed "you're supposed to care here". Which in my opinion is one of the selling points for _me_ to watch it. Other people might prefer the other approach.

Overbearing music? Sorry, I disagree. And there undoubtedly _is_ alot of detail implied in the way the material is presented. At least when I realize just on the third proofing watch of episode 1 that the early frantic phone call of Touya, _this_ was probably when he was getting fired, and that this is what triggered his subsequent self-doubts about his worthiness for Yuki, then this is a fairly unusual approach nowadays. These details have become very rare in anime. Is that what you mean by "smoke and mirrors"?

Quote:
Clannad and ef ~memories~ are a bit the same, but it's true that a lot of the meaningful stuff in those anime happens under the surface, so it's more rewarding to actively watch these shows, as opposed to passively watching them (if you can see what I'm saying). What's the pay off for actively watching White Album? Will it be an opportunity to better engage with the show's themes and appreciate its meaning? Or will it just be a chance to "enjoy" the dramatic cataclysm at the end? Because if it's the latter, there's no reward for watching the show actively, since you get the same result watching it passively.
I understand what you're trying to say, but I'm not sure if I agree. At least, I don't think I want the show tailormade to push a certain profound insight on me. Example: One of Clannad's main messages I see is to put a positive emphasis on the aspect of "family". However, this theme for the first time emerged around episode 13 or so, and now, in more depth around episode 32. White Album is at episode 2.

So far, WA is calmly telling a story. I have some ideas where the story will probably be going, but so far I'm more curious how things develop, not to discern any "meaning". And my reward for watching the show is entertainment, and a slightly nostalgic reminiscence of things I did and did not do in my youth, and which I now see mirrored in the various characters.

Quote:
My point is, is this serious, "mature" tone that the show is taking all smoke-and-mirrors, or is there going to be some meaning along the way in this journey? My great fear is that it'll be the former, and that the show will be about little more than the dire consequences of relationships gone wrong. What I'm trying to say is, if that happens (and that's still "if" at this stage), just because the show has a serious tone, and just because it uses a lot of ambitious storytelling techniques, if there's no meaning, and no sympathetic characters, then that doesn't make it any better than Kimi ga Nozomu Eien.
The latter quote made me giggle, because in my opinion, KimiNozo is an absolute classic, a milestone in the anime world and among the 10 best animes I've ever watched. If WA manages to merely come close, it will have absolutely been worth my time

Let's agree to disagree on the "an anime should have a meaning" part. It's WAY too early to judge that, the story has barely started, and I disagree with the notion to begin with. The meaning for me to watch anime is entertainment. And I am entertained, because I do connect with them and am curious what is going to happen. If you're lukewarm towards them and not emotionally attached, I can see how the enjoyment might be significantly lower.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 04:41   Link #245
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
Not sure what to think about this series... it felt too much like a soap opera. Very mello and life like. Could be more emotionally charged to be a bit more entertaining. I'll give another episode or 2 to see if it picks up.
__________________
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 05:36   Link #246
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Haruka is an interesting character yet she seems complex im not sure what her motivations are for anything. The scene where she randomly shows up at Touya's door and says to lets go for a walk was out of the blue. I also did not understand Touya's suddenly saying no and closing the door in her face only to check back later. There relationship seems very complex. Im anticipating more background into Haruka' personality and what drives her.
Haruka is the wildcard and it'd be surprising if she hooks up with anyone. A lot of Aquaplus romance has them. The ostracized (whether consciously done or not) girl who is the weird-girl-next-door type. And BTW, they're my favorite archetypes in these types of shows anyway. They always do the unexpected thing.

As for the whole 'this show takes itself too seriously' kind of talk, I actually sort of agree. For one, they don't even try to put in some type of cool-factor evident in ef shows or the comedy imbued with drama like in Clannad. It's just straight melodrama, this one.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 05:38   Link #247
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Your first point is correct, of course, but it's also a totally subjective one. If the viewers find out that they can't empathize with the characters displayed, the enjoyment watching it will be impacted, correct. However, at least when it comes to me, I like the anime exactly because it is NOT doing what you seem to demand later on: "Make me like the characters". To be honest, in the past, particularly romance shows are geared to simplicissism lately. The anime takes me by the nose and leads me where it wants me to. It's telling me "this is the heroine, isn't she great?" or "this is the bastard, watch how twisted he is".

I don't like that. I prefer to watch the story unfold and draw my own conclusions. I want to be able to make up my own mind if I like/dislike what the characters are doing. I.e. I do NOT want to be spoonfed "you're supposed to care here". Which in my opinion is one of the selling points for _me_ to watch it. Other people might prefer the other approach.

Overbearing music? Sorry, I disagree. And there undoubtedly _is_ alot of detail implied in the way the material is presented. At least when I realize just on the third proofing watch of episode 1 that the early frantic phone call of Touya, _this_ was probably when he was getting fired, and that this is what triggered his subsequent self-doubts about his worthiness for Yuki, then this is a fairly unusual approach nowadays. These details have become very rare in anime. Is that what you mean by "smoke and mirrors"?
I can see what you're saying. Characters don't need to be likable to be genuinely interesting (although anime has a pretty shocking track record with trying to make unlikable yet still interesting characters). One could say that White Album's approach to storytelling shows that it has a great respect for its audience, but at the same time, there's a pretty thin line between respecting your audience and unclear storytelling.

My problem is that these details are all plot related. When I pay attention, I want to be rewarded with an insightful exploration of the characters or an examination of a theme. What's the point of obscuring plot details, people are either going to figure it out by themselves later on when the drama comes to a head, even if they weren't paying attention, or these obscured plot details simply won't matter later on. Which would make the style of storytelling redundant. Which is why I'm kinda saying that if they want to take this "mature", "respectful" approach towards storytelling, they're better off using the "under-the-surface" layers to say something about the themes and/or the characters, rather than saying something about the plot or even the state of relationships, since it may or may not matter later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Let's agree to disagree on the "an anime should have a meaning" part. It's WAY too early to judge that, the story has barely started, and I disagree with the notion to begin with. The meaning for me to watch anime is entertainment. And I am entertained, because I do connect with them and am curious what is going to happen. If you're lukewarm towards them and not emotionally attached, I can see how the enjoyment might be significantly lower.
Well, I don't necessarily think anime needs meaning, but it helps, especially if the show wants to be taken seriously, IMO. The trap that a series like this faces, and that KGNE fell into, is that the drama can feel like drama for the sake of it. And that just feels empty, especially when, like in KGNE, they're so forceful with it. What can possibly save an experience like that is characters that you can connect with. They don't have to be likable, but sometimes that's the easiest way.

True Tears comes to mind, which, in my opinion, fell over because it's brand of drama hinged on the audience caring about the characters, but as they became more and more erratic towards the end of the anime, they became harder to sympathize with. I know this is a simplification, but we can almost consider a dichotomy between character development and character analysis, in which the latter is more appropriate if you've no real intention of making the character likable. But you've still got to say something of interest about them. You can't put them in a dramatic situation that only works if the audience is concerned about said character and then ask "do you care about this person?" That has to come earlier.

You and me both, neither of us want to be told by an anime to pointlessly hate on a character just because they're portrayed as a caricatured jerk-ass. Good drama should be more complex than that. Let them paint a detailed portrait of this character, and let those details be interesting, and come together to form a thesis of this character, something that lets the audience understand and appreciate just what makes them tick. Knowing that Touya was fired over the phone doesn't give us an insight into what makes him tick, it just tells us that he got fired over the phone. Nixon's drunken phone call to Frost in Frost/Nixon, that's the kind of scene that gives a deep insight into a character, the thing that defines a really great piece of character analysis. I'm certainly not expecting White Album to pull something off comparable to that. But, maybe, that sort of character analysis, that attempt to understand the character at a deep level, is what's needed to make an otherwise detestable figure sympathetic.

Touya is no Richard Nixon, though, and here's why they might be falling into a trap. Unlikable is one thing, you can still be interesting. Bland and unlikable, well, there's very little you can do with that.

And yes, I know it's only two episodes, so pretty much all of this is speculative.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 05:41   Link #248
slidingk1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
I sense a nice boat ending where all the people watching are going to get trolled.
slidingk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 05:41   Link #249
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Sure, this show takes itself seriously, but at least it didn't have the pseudo-meaningful art correlations of True Tears. This one is a straight shooter. True Tears sorta tried to be something it's not by putting all these weird analogies to the artistic world in it. Granted, True Tears looked beautiful and had a pretty good atmosphere. For me, this one does too, but in a more straight soap opera sort of way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidingk1 View Post
I sense a nice boat ending where all the people watching are going to get trolled.
Touya X Haruka ending! YES WE CAN!
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 08:41   Link #250
SageGaiGar
You are Next
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NE USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidingk1 View Post
I sense a nice boat ending where all the people watching are going to get trolled.
This is my dream and hope. >:3
SageGaiGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 11:13   Link #251
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
The trap that a series like this faces, and that KGNE fell into, is that the drama can feel like drama for the sake of it. And that just feels empty, especially when, like in KGNE, they're so forceful with it.
Hmm...

Quote:
True Tears comes to mind, which, in my opinion, fell over because it's brand of drama hinged on the audience caring about the characters, but as they became more and more erratic towards the end of the anime, they became harder to sympathize with.
Erhm... ^_^;;

No pun intended, but you seem to consider KGNE and True Tears as failures? Like, really??

I'd say that in drama/romance anime circles, these shows are generally considered to be excellent and highly successful reference animes. And I'd fully agree with that. I feel tempted to ask: What would YOU consider to be good romance dramas?
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 11:25   Link #252
Sylphic
KI NI NARIMASU!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Why does everyone always want a nice boat ending. Do you all really want to see blood and stabbings that badly?
__________________
I hope this meets the requirements...

Otaku in Japan Daily Blog - [URL="www.ninjapan.org[/URL]
Sylphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 12:35   Link #253
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphic View Post
Why does everyone always want a nice boat ending. Do you all really want to see blood and stabbings that badly?
It's not that people want a nice boat ending, it's that most of them can see it happening. I can't personally.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 13:08   Link #254
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
If this show could be as good as KGnE, or even true tears, I would be very happy. I thought the drama in KGnE was fairly natural, if intense, given the plot. Angst is good.

true tears did fail to reach the highest level it could have, but was still one of the best (i.e., both well made and enjoyable to me) animes of 2008. I liked all the characters, but then again I do prefer characters to have flaws, lol.

I did not like School Days, and I think the staff team for it is fairly incompetent (they also made Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka), but the fact that the one trope they came up with is so persistent in our minds means the show did have something special.

It's really not clear to me at all where WA is going. In any case, all the characters are fairly interesting and all have aspects that set them apart from their cliche versions: Touya seems both insecure and forward. Yuki seems unaware that she is drifting away from her bf. Rina seems both kind and potentially cruel. Touya and Yuki both seem fairly outlandish to me, almost as weird as Haruka. In both cases, I think it has to do with how the seiyuus are playing them.

I'll accept the written internal comments. They're fairly effective for me, usually showing an ironic counterpoint to what is being said ("urusai"), or else something that can't be said out loud ("that's Yuki's place"). There might be other techniques, but this one works. I thought Rina's long internal monologue about the taxi, etc., was at least as artificial, but that was effective, too.

Does anyone have a suggestion why they did that bit where the guy wiped his hand over his lip (while speaking with Haruka in the park) and his voice was altered by it. Was it just for that little uneasiness it caused in me? Was it a symbol of some difficulty communicating?

One reason that Yayoi (Yuki's manager) is so striking a character is that her seiyuu is Paku Romi. And I've got to say that I'm enjoying Mizuki Nana's seiyuu work in ep2 more than I have before. Maybe it's because the character has more adult force than those I've heard her do recently (Kotoko in Itazura, the Fairy Doctor in Hakushaku to Yousei).
__________________
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-01-14 at 14:25.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 14:26   Link #255
Mei19
LOL'ing at t3h old bags
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphic View Post
Why does everyone always want a nice boat ending. Do you all really want to see blood and stabbings that badly?
Yes yes yes! XD No I kid. It depends on the character, and Touya here is showing signs and symptoms. I won't say that he'll really get a nice boat ending where he'll sail on a boat headless because that's too surreal, but I expect a bad ending for him if he doesn't see the error of his ways just before it's too late. I might have already labeled him as a prick already....but, it's just so obvious that he'll be a womanizer womanizer womanizer....XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Er, no. Touya was actually trying to HELP Akira when he called up Misaki. He was trying to tell her that Akira baked a cake for her, but unfortunately, the cake never once got mentioned over the sickness talk.

And the "inner talk" was clearly from _Akira_, who was getting increasingly pissed about Touya's lecture about Akira's cake disaster.

Have a look at it once more
That's why I have a problem with Touya. He called because he was trying to HELP Akira but he never once brought up his friend to Misaki. He ended up comforting Misaki and hogged the score to himself. In the end, he just went, oh well what can I do? Then went home. Isn't that wrong? He should've called his friend and urged him to take action atleast. I doubt he can afford that.

The inner thoughts were from Akira? I thought those random letters that pop once in a while were only from Touya but it can also apply to other characters' thoughts? I learned something new.
Mei19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 15:04   Link #256
serenade_beta
マジ天使
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mei19 View Post
[B][FONT="Century Gothic"]Yes yes yes! XD No I kid. It depends on the character, and Touya here is showing signs and symptoms. I won't say that he'll really get a nice boat ending where he'll sail on a boat headless because that's too surreal, but I expect a bad ending for him if he doesn't see the error of his ways just before it's too late. I might have already labeled him as a prick already....but, it's just so obvious that he'll be a womanizer womanizer womanizer....XD
Except the problem with that series' Bad Ends is not just Makoto himself, but the fact the heroines around him have something odd in their heads (Well, in the game, only one heroine had a loose bolt or two for those ends to occur). Now if Yuki or whoever started showing a symptom or two too...... Uee...
Come to think of it, anime Makoto's attitude doesn't really count as "indecisiveness", does it...
__________________

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 17:26   Link #257
hydropod
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Consider how Fujii Touya was voted as one of the most hated Male protagonist in ACG history along with Narumi Takayuki , Tsuchimi Rin and Ito Makoto, there should be no surprises as to how big a jerk this guy is, no?
hydropod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 18:04   Link #258
SageGaiGar
You are Next
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NE USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
It's not that people want a nice boat ending, it's that most of them can see it happening. I can't personally.
To clarify, I'd rather it not go into bloody stabbings. Much rather see how it proceeds in terms of drama and character development.
SageGaiGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 19:32   Link #259
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I'd say that in drama/romance anime circles, these shows are generally considered to be excellent and highly successful reference animes. And I'd fully agree with that. I feel tempted to ask: What would YOU consider to be good romance dramas?
Depends what you mean by "circles", because IIRC, True Tears got pretty mixed reactions on the blogosphere. I initially started out very enthusiastic about True Tears, I thought it was going to be something special, but as the characters became more erratic, I became more indifferent, and ended up being very disappointed. True Tears I wouldn't say was a failure, I'd just say it didn't live up to its potential. KGNE is definitely a failure, IMO.

I'm glad you asked about what I consider to be good romance drama, because it's one of my favourite genres in anime. Maison Ikkoku is a classic, and Honey and Clover is a modern day classic, and I'd even go so far to suggest that the sequel is a masterpiece (that's not a word I throw around lightly). Bokura ga Ita is excellent, high on angst, but, more importantly, also high on character development and character analysis. Kanon 2006 is great, a tad mild, but an extremely well made anime and thoroughly endearing. Air is also excellent, but there's a bit of a Seinfeld factor, so I'm not sure I'd have the same reaction if I watched it today (so many anime have "taken" from Air that I'd probably be a little more sensitive to its flaws than when I first watched it). Kare Kano is also excellent, probably the best romance series of the 90s. Fruits Basket... not really romance, but in that similar vein, and another anime I consider excellent. 5cm/s: an extremely well made and highly thought provoking movie. Koi Kaze... not quite a masterpiece, but very, very close; controversial, emotional and thought-provoking. ef - a tale of memories was also highly emotional, but gave us reasons to like the characters and then made an attempt to understand them, and was also highly ambitious in its presentation and the way it allowed its themes to propel the story. Victorian Romance Emma was beautifully made, well grounded, and had deep and likable characters and was so absorbed in but respectful of its setting. These are just a handful of romance drama anime that I consider "great". Others that I consider to be good, but not quite as good as these include Clannad, Kimikiss, Asatte no Houkou, Paradise Kiss, ef - a tale of melodies and The Place Promised in Our Early Days, among others.

The problem with the likes of True Tears and KGNE is that they come off as too heavy handed. I guess one could make the argument, what makes this any different from Bokura ga Ita or ef - a tale of memories, and I'd say it's characters. For whatever reason, the characters in these anime reached me, but the characters in True Tears and KGNE failed to (spectacularly so in the latter case). And I really think, in both places, part of the problem was misplaced emphasis, which is why it felt like drama for the sake of it, rather than drama because it actually means something. That's why I kinda think that KGNE and, also, Myself; Yourself are the anime equivalent of soap operas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
If this show could be as good as KGnE, or even true tears, I would be very happy. I thought the drama in KGnE was fairly natural, if intense, given the plot. Angst is good.

true tears did fail to reach the highest level it could have, but was still one of the best (i.e., both well made and enjoyable to me) animes of 2008. I liked all the characters, but then again I do prefer characters to have flaws, lol.
As far as romance in 2008 were concerned, I really thought that both Kimikiss and Itazura na Kiss were better than True Tears. Anyway, I just don't think angst is good of itself. Angst is good if you care about the characters. But I'd almost make the argument that drama that doesn't need to resort to angst is even better. That's not universally true, but it tends to be that way, IMO.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 21:01   Link #260
Molenir
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Finally got around to watching the first episode of this show. Having watched it, there are really only 2 characters that interest me. Yuuki and Haruka. The guys both seem... like people I wouldn't care for.

Honestly though, I don't think I'll watch this one any further. It just didn't grab me, and make me want to watch further. I'll wait til its subbed and released, then see what everyone says about it. If it gets great reviews, maybe I'll give it another shot.
Molenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drama, eroge, romance, seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.