AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 15 Rating
Perfect 10 17 20.73%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 31 37.80%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 29.27%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 9.76%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.22%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-01-15, 19:15   Link #61
Kushi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Taiga is really getting onto my nerves with all this obsession... He's just a crush, really, talk about insane over reactions?

The highlight of this episode would be the brillant play of "admiration is the furthest from understanding" it happened twice! When Minorin praised Ami for being "mature" and when Ryuuji saids Minorin was "kind" and she was like nuuu.

Minorin's remark about Ami really makes me hope that this anime ends as ChiDora, from what I've seen so far the only one who understands Ami the most is Ryuuji at least he sees through the fake matureness.

Anyways it was a pretty decent episode, didn't really go anywhere and the Taiga reactions were kinda like.. really? are you THAT obsessed, geez get a hobby :/

8 out of 10

PS : The animation seemed to be much better quality this time -or maybe it was because I changed my subs-
Kushi is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 19:50   Link #62
Freya
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern California.
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to Freya
I'm so disappointed in this episode. Sorry to say but this is by far the worst episode for me. I loathe emo episodes. This episode almost made me give up on this show. it was THAT bad.

Not only is Kitamura one of the useless characters, him being emo was the main plot of this episode?! Please....

And no Ami.....fail.
__________________
Freya is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 19:57   Link #63
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
I love how whenever anyone in an anime acts in a very negative, very human fashion, everyone constantly has to state how horrible they are.

How dare they give into their human emotions instead of being mature and acting rationally.

Kitamura just had what was probably a huge emotional shock to him. I can't blame him for being an idiot about it. What is he, 16-17?


Anyway, like most of the arc opening episodes, not that fantastic. Of course, this is just setup for the arc finale, which will be, as usual, amazing.

Also, I really did love how they kept Kitamura's eyebrows his usual green. Nice touch.

8/10 from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
I'm so disappointed in this episode. Sorry to say but this is by far the worst episode for me. I loathe emo episodes. This episode almost made me give up on this show. it was THAT bad.
I'd suggest you stop watching now, then, if you were watching for the comedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
And no Ami.....fail.
See, this is what I'm talking about. This should not be a reason to hate an episode.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 20:05   Link #64
typhonsentra
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
I think we might see some opinions of Kitamura change next week. Once you learn his way of thinking and what motivates him, why he is the way he is begins to make sense.

But I still agree with the guy who complained about Taiga still doting over Kitamura. It's just sad at this point, do you ever learn why she's so obsessed?
typhonsentra is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 20:11   Link #65
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
But I still agree with the guy who complained about Taiga still doting over Kitamura. It's just sad at this point, do you ever learn why she's so obsessed?
It is kind of funny, in a way. But yeah, it is getting kind of sad.

Well, I'd say she's obsessed because she's got this idealized vision of a relationship with him, and it's her first crush, and... a lot of things, yeah.

Taiga's just like that.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 21:29   Link #66
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
It's a teenage girl with a crush, why is there a need to explain much of anything?

And giant LOL at people complaining that Kitamura was acting emo.

Really, some of you are completely blind of what makes this show so beautiful, and likely an instant classic when all is said and done.

"OH NO, KITAMURA IS GETTING DEVELOPED AS A CHARACTER AND IT'S NOT FUNNY AT ALL, THIS IS TOTAL GARBAGE WHERE ARE MY LOLS?????"

Damn. Sometimes I really wonder why you people are watching to begin with.
__________________
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 21:29   Link #67
Freya
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern California.
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to Freya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I love how whenever anyone in an anime acts in a very negative, very human fashion, everyone constantly has to state how horrible they are.

How dare they give into their human emotions instead of being mature and acting rationally.

Kitamura just had what was probably a huge emotional shock to him. I can't blame him for being an idiot about it. What is he, 16-17?


Anyway, like most of the arc opening episodes, not that fantastic. Of course, this is just setup for the arc finale, which will be, as usual, amazing.

Also, I really did love how they kept Kitamura's eyebrows his usual green. Nice touch.

8/10 from me.



I'd suggest you stop watching now, then, if you were watching for the comedy.



See, this is what I'm talking about. This should not be a reason to hate an episode.
Umm no I don't watch Toradora for its comedy. Its a comedy? But this episode is just plain bad compared to the last 14 episodes. And just want to see more of my favorite char Ami lol. That's all.
__________________
Freya is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 21:34   Link #68
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
Umm no I don't watch Toradora for its comedy. Its a comedy? But this episode is just plain bad compared to the last 14 episodes. And just want to see more of my favorite char Ami lol. That's all.
No, this episode upholds the same fantastic quality the rest of the series has given us, and you wanting to see more of another character should in no way hold weight against it.

I mean seriously, think about the fact that this show is bothering to develop him at all. Many, many other shows would have shelved him as a side character and stuck him with a paper thin personality and let that be the end of it, but the fact that we're actually being show a very human reaction / other side of him is MIND BLOWING and should really be appreciated because it shows how much this show really, really, really, really, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY cares for its characters.
__________________
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 21:39   Link #69
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
I dont think it gives any depth for his character. There is a difference between depth and childish overreaction after all, and thats what Kitamura's act looks like. It is not really a depth nor really caring about the character. To care about the character you have to do something better than artificially formed tension.

This is why I guess many are annoyed by Kitamura. Him going emo does not give him much depth. It is not like Shinji where going emo is really based with characters deoth (though even that annoyed many). In Kitamura's case it looks forced and shallow, which doesn't make him deeper as character at all, just increasing for some the feeling of dislikeness towards this character as he is not as natural as the rest of the cast. Even the attempts to give him depth look unnatural and forced.
Darknemo2000 is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 21:42   Link #70
Kinku
Hate a Hater.Love a Lover
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kinku
i dont get it did the current prez like told him he has no chance in hell going out with her?
__________________
☆● PeAcE N Love●☆
Kinku is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 21:47   Link #71
maxpepper
Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago
you'll find out next episode

(but if you really want to know there is plenty of info in the novel thread)
maxpepper is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 21:49   Link #72
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
I dont think it gives any depth for his character. There is a difference between depth and childish overreaction after all, and thats what Kitamura's act looks like. It is not really a depth nor really caring about the character. To care about the character you have to do something better than artificially formed tension.

This is why I guess many are annoyed by Kitamura. Him going emo does not give him much depth. It is not like Shinji where going emo is really based with characters deoth. In Kitamura's case it looks forced and shallow.
It gives plenty depth to his character because all we've seen for the past 14 episodes is an quirky bystander whose only REAL link to the entire plot is that he's Taiga's crush.

Taking him out of the role of simply being a plot device created to make her blush on sight and giving him a problem to deal with (whatever it may be) gives him depth, and that's not an opinion, that's fact. There's nothing artificial about giving him an obstacle or allowing him to be emotional for that matter. It's not being forced or shallow either. If he was nothing more then a crush and an eccentric idiot for the entireity of the show, well that would be completely artificial, forced, and shallow. Hell, that would make him a one dimensional character that could be replaced with a cardboard cut out and a tape player.

__________________
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 22:00   Link #73
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
It is artificially formed tension when it is formed in an unnatural way (character overreaction even by anime standarts etc.) thus makes the whole depth as if 'created' this way artificial as well.

Just because you are given more info about the character or make him go emo doesnt amke it a deep character. I thought you would have known that already by seeing many of such attempts in the anime already. Kitamura, sadly, is not an exception. While the rest of Toradora's cast are given the depth in natural way, Kitamura is used the typical clyche ever - emo=character depth, not caring that the whole sitiation and tension is very artificial and forced. We have seen it many times and kitamura just follows the lead of many other animes that can't give time to give character natural depth and have to force sudden emo=depth thing on us.
Darknemo2000 is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 22:01   Link #74
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
It's a teenage girl with a crush, why is there a need to explain much of anything?

And giant LOL at people complaining that Kitamura was acting emo.

Really, some of you are completely blind of what makes this show so beautiful, and likely an instant classic when all is said and done.

"OH NO, KITAMURA IS GETTING DEVELOPED AS A CHARACTER AND IT'S NOT FUNNY AT ALL, THIS IS TOTAL GARBAGE WHERE ARE MY LOLS?????"

Damn. Sometimes I really wonder why you people are watching to begin with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
No, this episode upholds the same fantastic quality the rest of the series has given us, and you wanting to see more of another character should in no way hold weight against it.

I mean seriously, think about the fact that this show is bothering to develop him at all. Many, many other shows would have shelved him as a side character and stuck him with a paper thin personality and let that be the end of it, but the fact that we're actually being show a very human reaction / other side of him is MIND BLOWING and should really be appreciated because it shows how much this show really, really, really, really, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY cares for its characters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
It gives plenty depth to his character because all we've seen for the past 14 episodes is an quirky bystander whose only REAL link to the entire plot is that he's Taiga's crush.

Taking him out of the role of simply being a plot device created to make her blush on sight and giving him a problem to deal with (whatever it may be) gives him depth, and that's not an opinion, that's fact. There's nothing artificial about giving him an obstacle or allowing him to be emotional for that matter. It's not being forced or shallow either. If he was nothing more then a crush and an eccentric idiot for the entireity of the show, well that would be completely artificial, forced, and shallow. Hell, that would make him a one dimensional character that could be replaced with a cardboard cut out and a tape player.

...I love you.

Seriously though, this is the most constructive and positive posting I've seen in ages.

Thank you so very very much for being a pillar of intelligence and positivity here. Thank you so very very much for making actual sense.

Dammit I need to rep more people before I can rep you for this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Just because you are given more info about the character or make him go emo doesnt amke it a deep character. I thought you would have known that already by seeing many of such attempts in the anime already. Kitamura, sadly, is not an exception. While the rest of Toradora's cast are given the depth in natural way, Kitamura is used the typical clyche ever - emo=character depth, not caring that the whole sitiation and tension is very artificial and forced. We have seen it many times and kitamura just follows the lead of many other animes that can't give time to give character natural depth and have to force sudden emo=depth thing on us.
I disagree, personally. I think it's fairly well done, considering. I also think it's pretty funny.

I mean, his first reaction his situation is to DYE HIS HAIR. That's both incredibly dumb and exactly the sort of thing Kitamura would do.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 22:18   Link #75
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
It is artificially formed tension when it is formed in an unnatural way (character overreaction even by anime standarts etc.) thus makes the whole depth as if 'created' this way artificial as well.

Just because you are given more info about the character or make him go emo doesnt amke it a deep character. I thought you would have known that already by seeing many of such attempts in the anime already. Kitamura, sadly, is not an exception. While the rest of Toradora's cast are given the depth in natural way, Kitamura is used the typical clyche ever - emo=character depth, not caring that the whole sitiation and tension is very artificial and forced. We have seen it many times and kitamura just follows the lead of many other animes that can't give time to give character natural depth and have to force sudden emo=depth thing on us.
You are extremely frustrating to talk to guy.

Everytime someone bothers to disagree with you you just take everything they've told you, lay it out infront of them, and then slap a giant OPPOSITE sticker onto it and hand it back.

How is it forced? Most of us don't even know why he's acting the way he is, but seeing him crack is certainly a departure. You going to tell me making a guy like Kitamura act like a normal teenager is forced? Crying is forced? Should he be jumping through hoops at this point? I don't get where you're pulling all this 'artificial / forced' nonsense. I'm sitting here wondering what could make him act so unlike himself, but you're stuck at the fact that he shouldn't be acting like it because it isn't like him. It's like you refuse to accept it because it doesn't adhere to some standard of acceptable problems / reactions / emotions that you've created.

:\
__________________
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 22:22   Link #76
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Houkoholic, if it wouldn't make sense for them to show the scene because it doesn't work with what she later says is her reason for staying then doesn't that kinda say she was lying/being dishonest during the later conversation?
It goes both ways - she could be lying in vol6 or lying later during the confession. However her actions in the later arc (Christmas, school trips etc) and the nature of the confession supports what she said later being the truth, rather than the former being true, making her actions in volume 6 going in conflict to what she said she wants to do and thus make that scene out of place.
__________________
My twitter - not really seiyuu-centred so follow at your own risk
Celebrities I've talked to in person
Mizuki Nana, Chiba Saeko, Shimizu Ai, Shimokawa Mikuni, Chihara Minori, Tamura Yukari, Nakahara Mai, Sakai Kanako
houkoholic is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 22:47   Link #77
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
You are extremely frustrating to talk to guy.

Everytime someone bothers to disagree with you you just take everything they've told you, lay it out infront of them, and then slap a giant OPPOSITE sticker onto it and hand it back.
Huh are you talking about yourself? Since I feel those words can be easily directed to you as well.

Forced is the overreaction towards the problem which also comes out of the blue. There is no gradual creation of the scene just sudden throw emo into us which makes such scene look artificial and forced (yes crying and other things are just as artificial because the tension that generated them looks forced) which makes Kitamura's character just as shallow as it was before.
Darknemo2000 is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 22:57   Link #78
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
You really hate the guy, don't you?

I'd have thought a lot of the last episode was setup for this arc and his emoness, but...
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 23:03   Link #79
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
He is an easy character to hate. Look at popularity polls be it here or in Japan... While it doenst tell he is hated, it tells he is not liked. His character is really struggling and the overused cliche of sudden emo being presented as if the character depth that was used in numerous animes really numerous times, doesn't make him any better.
Darknemo2000 is offline  
Old 2009-01-15, 23:03   Link #80
Xellos
There will be no miracle
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Send a message via AIM to Xellos
While Kitamura's reaction is rather sudden, the fact remains that we really don't know much about Kitamura. Because of this, I don't think we can honestly call it an overreaction. For the same reason, I wouldn't call him shallow or deep. He's a work in progress. Sure, it would've been nice if they could've built his breakdown gradually, but the abrupt change in Kitamura's behavior further directs our focus to the key point that he is a relative unknown in the series. I'm interested to see where JC Staff goes from here.
__________________
Xellos is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.